Thread: High(er) tariffs and low taxes

High(er) tariffs and low taxes

Can anyone explain to me why RP prefers low tariffs on imported goods?

I have heard him say that he prefers low taxes and low tariffs. Am I wrong about this? It seems to me a better way would be lower taxes and higher tariffs (not outrageously high). I will admit that this is somewhat of a protectionist point of view but on the surface it makes sense to me.

With lower taxes people would have more money to spend on foreign goods if they wanted them and the higher tariff would make American made products more competitive on the US market. This in turn would theoretically help rebuild our manufacturing base and provide more jobs for the middle class.

I must admit I'm certainly no expert when it comes to this stuff so if you disagree with me please explain why and I am certainly willing to change my mind.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    All forms of taxation are theft.

Lower taxes is less stealing.
    I have my own blog at http://fskrealityguide.blogspot.com/.

Let me know if you like it.

Help control the government population. Have your government spayed or neutered.

Sometimes discussions on this forum get out of hand. If you have any questions about the Federal Reserve, the income tax, or the gold standard, you can PM me or leave a comment on my blog.

High tariffs here encourage high tariffs else where. Several times when the US adopted high tariffs, countries the US traded with returned the favor. If you build a manufacturing base in order to produce goods to be sent overseas, a high tariff in the target country kind of makes that hard to do.
    "Anarchists oppose the State because it has its very being in such aggression, namely, the expropriation of private property through taxation, the coercive exclusion of other providers of defense service from its territory, and all of the other depredations and coercions that are built upon these twin foci of invasions of individual rights." -Murray Rothbard