Thread: The Truth about Essential Fatty Acids

The Truth about Essential Fatty Acids

There has been a lot of controversy about essential fatty acids. Are plant based EFAs better than animal sources? While the general consensus is that an ideal balance of EFAs is ~3:1, this does not account for the source. It was once thought that omega 3s were good and omega 6 EFAs were not. This is not entirely true. Plant based omega 6 can be converted into GLA, which is an important anti-inflammatory fatty acid, so long as it has not been damaged by excessive heat or rancidity.

References:

Ashley Koff, R.D.
    http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritio...a-3/index.html
    http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/omega-6-000317.htm
    Last edited by AFPVet; 10-01-2012 at 08:15 PM.
    Indianensis Universitatis Alumnus

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Veerrry interesting.

As I said the other day, I was primarily vegetarian for 10+ years and I have been mostly primal for the last 2-3 months. IMO, a diet that is primarily vegetarian and includes a good percentage of raw vegan foods with some whole grains and omega sources like hemp, flax and organic soy and a primal diet are both far superior to the SAD (Standard American Diet) of grain fed meats and lots of trans fat, refined grains and sugars (especially HFCS).
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

bump
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Omega 6 is just as important as omega 3. But they need to be at near-parity. The problem is that the SAD results in about a 20:1 ration of 6 to 3 and that is highly inflammatory.

As for plant sources of Omega 3, the problem is that (with the exception of algae) they lack EPA. EPA is critical for the brain. There is at least one study showing that vegans tend to suffer brain shrinkage with age and I suspect an EPA deficiency is to blame. Although the ALA found in some plant sources can be converted to EPA in the body, it does so at a terribly inefficient rate (especially in men) such that it is unlikely that a male vegan can get enough without an algae supplement. Lacto and lacto ovo vegetarians should be fine if they eat grass fed dairy and free-range eggs.

Personally, if I were a vegan there is no way I would rely on my body trying against odds to make enough EPA out of ALA. I would take an algae supplement.

But that is not the only problem with the vegan diet.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

I have algae (spirulina) supplements I used to take all the time and you can also get "green" smoothie type drinks infused with spirulina and other similarly healthful ingredients.

It's a lot easier than seeking out pasture-fed meats, at least around here.

I still haven't found a source of pasture-fed chicken eggs for less than $8/dozen.
    Last edited by dannno; 09-28-2012 at 01:41 PM.

bump

I have also heard about the poor conversion of EPA and DHA rate from ALA; however, I also heard that this was largely dependent upon the amount of ALA consumed over time. Yes, an alternative would be a spirulina/chlorella supplement; however, they can be pricey.

"Essential" Fatty Acids are Harmful

The so-called Essential Fatty Acids actually aren't essential.

The belief in the essentiality of these fats started with a 1929 study by Burr and Burr. They fed rats a diet without these fats and they developed some diseases, so they concluded that the fatty acids were essential. But critics said that what happened was that the absence of polyunsaturated fats increased metabolism, and the faster metabolism increased the requirement of vitamin B6. Some scientists did the same experiment in rats but with one variation: they didn't give the rats the fatty acids, like Burr and Burr, but did give them vitamin B6, and the rats didn't develop any health problems. The EFAs are in reality toxins that slow down metabolism, which decreases nutritional requirements, but in the absence of EFAs, the faster metabolism is not a problem if one consumes the necessary vitamins and minerals. Ray Peat says that essential fatty acids do seem essential for cancer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Peat
    What really happens to animals when the "essential fatty acids" are lacking, in an otherwise adequate diet?

Their metabolic rate is very high.

Their nutritional needs are increased.

They are very resistant to many of the common causes of sickness and death.

They are resistant to the biochemical and cellular changes seen in aging, dementia, autoimmunity, and the main types of inflammation.

The amount of polyunsaturated fatty acids often said to be essential (Holman, 1981) is approximately the amount required to significantly increase the incidence of cancer, and very careful food selection is needed for a diet that provides a lower amount.
    Read more: Unsaturated fatty acids: Nutritionally essential, or toxic?
    Last edited by jj-; 09-29-2012 at 12:17 PM.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The paper didn't state whether the EFAs in the study were animal or plant based. I am assuming that they were animal sourced—as it did mention rancid fish and meat sources in one paragraph. Once more, this paper only further proves that EFAs from fresh plant sources (like hemp) are superior. Furthermore, plants like hemp contain B vitamins as well as chlorophyll which is rich in magnesium and other nutrients.
    Last edited by AFPVet; 09-29-2012 at 01:23 PM.