Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Operation: Whole Foods Hidden Camera GMO Sting - Bait Organic, Switch to GMO

Operation: Whole Foods Hidden Camera GMO Sting - Bait Organic, Switch to GMO

Paranoia is having all of the facts.
    www.classifiedwoman.com

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I can't watch the video quite yet.. What are your thoughts?

I feel like Whole Foods gets a lot of unfair propaganda targeted at them from leftist groups who disagree with the free market principles the owner espouses. They spread it around the internet and people get all caught up, not understanding the reason why it was created in the first place.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

technically, GMO can still be organic. Just grow a GMO crop without any industrial pesticide or fertilizer and BINGO you have an organic GMO.

Disclaimer: I am in the process of watching the video when I typed this

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post

I feel like Whole Foods gets a lot of unfair propaganda targeted at them from leftist groups who disagree with the free market principles the owner espouses. They spread it around the internet and people get all caught up, not understanding the reason why it was created in the first place.
    Many of the reports I've been receiving come from the Natural News guy Mike Adams, who is a conservative Ron Paul supporter. He has been exposing many of these things for several years now. I subscribe to his newsletter and I trust the information he provides.
    h ttp://www.naturalnews.com
    Paranoia is having all of the facts.
    www.classifiedwoman.com

Would I be demonized if I refused to use the state to solve my problems?
    Ron Paul let the cat out of the bag.

***Random Troll Analysis***Try Not to Engage With Trolls***
    itshappening: Incredibly naive with a hint of Alex Jonestown.
    compromise: Hilarious name states what it wants.
    AuH20: Self-righteous & insightful neocon. Smarter than you. Armed with a thesaurus.

***Honorable Mentions***
    Tpoints, Traditional Conservative, FreedomFanatic, TywinLannister, FreeHampshire, Giuliani was there on 911,
    RandRevolution

Quote Originally Posted by AGRP View Post
    Would I be demonized if I refused to use the state to solve my problems?
    Would you be opposed to stoping the state from being used by GMO companies to shove their $#@! down our throats?
    "When a portion of wealth is transferred from the person who owns it—without his consent and without compensation, and whether by force or by fraud—to anyone who does not own it, then I say that property is violated; that an act of plunder is committed." - Bastiat : The Law

"nothing evil grows in alcohol" ~ @presence

"I mean can you imagine what it would be like if firemen acted like police officers? They would only go into a burning house only if there's a 100% chance they won't get any burns. I mean, you've got to fully protect thy self first." ~ juleswin

Quote Originally Posted by ClydeCoulter View Post
    Would you be opposed to stoping the state from being used by GMO companies to shove their $#@! down our throats?
    I wouldnt be opposed to creating a private certification company that certifies non-gmo foods.

AuH20: Self-righteous & insightful neocon. Smarter than you. Armed with a thesaurus.

***Honorable Mentions***
    Tpoints, Traditional Conservative, FreedomFanatic, TywinLannister, FreeHampshire, Giuliani was there on 911,
    RandRevolution

That's what this is. They are complaining because whole foods hasn't donated money to a proposition mandating govt labeling. But they mention that whole foods tells people to wanting to avoid GMOs to buy the products indedently certified (not govt) as non-gmo. ie: whole foods supports a nonprofit that does product non-gmo certification. leftists want govt required. They also make a big deal about whole foods making money off gmo products, but every single wh store i've been in clearly labels all the product as convention vs. organic.

in short, its exactly what you feared it would be.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I wouldnt be opposed to creating a private certification company that certifies non-gmo foods.
    whole foods already supports such an org. its mentioned in the video but that isn't good enough for them because it isn't mandated.
    http://www.nongmoproject.org/

As an example, Whole Foods has their entire 365 product line, organic AND natural enrolled in the Non-GMO Project. This commitment means that they are requiring testing of every single GMO risk ingredient used in every single one of their house brand products, both organic and natural. As a founding member of the Non-GMO Project, Whole Foods made a point from the very beginning of ensuring that this program would be available for not only their organic products, but their natural ones, too. Their commitment is exemplary. In fact, it is exactly the sort of positive action step that Cummins called for in his recent article.

http://www.nongmoproject.org/2011/01...ight-together/
    Last edited by specsaregood; 09-27-2012 at 05:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    whole foods already supports such an org. its mentioned in the video but that isn't good enough for them because it isn't mandated.
    http://www.nongmoproject.org/
    Well, I guess this topic is over. lol.

***Honorable Mentions***
    RandRevolution

That's what this is. They are complaining because whole foods hasn't donated money to a proposition mandating govt labeling. But they mention that whole foods tells people to wanting to avoid GMOs to buy the products indedently certified (not govt) as non-gmo. ie: whole foods supports a nonprofit that does product non-gmo certification. leftists want govt required. They also make a big deal about whole foods making money off gmo products, but every single wh store i've been in clearly labels all the product as convention vs. organic.

in short, its exactly what you feared it would be.

Well that's $#@!ing interesting because I was at Whole Foods the other day and the store had signs up telling people to vote for the prop..

I'm actually considering voting for it, not certain yet. Even though it is anti-liberty I think it might help balance out the market with the anti-liberty pro-GMO stuff coming from the other side. Though I don't know how effective it will be for meat since you can feed an animal GMO food and say the animal is non-GMO.
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Well that's $#@!ing interesting because I was at Whole Foods the other day and the store had signs up telling people to vote for the prop..

I'm actually considering voting for it, not certain yet. Even though it is anti-liberty I think it might help balance out the market with the anti-liberty pro-GMO stuff coming from the other side. Though I don't know how effective it will be for meat since you can feed an animal GMO food and say the animal is non-GMO.
    Right, they aren't mad about that. It seems they are mad that WH hasn't donated money towards the prop. And that WH makes money off products that may or may not have GMO.

They don't support Prop 37?
    http://articles.latimes.com/2012/sep...dorse-20120915
    Whole Foods endorses Prop. 37

SACRAMENTO — Whole Foods Market, the largest U.S. natural-goods specialty retailer, has endorsed a California initiative that would require the labeling of genetically engineered food ingredients.

The Austin, Texas, company is backing Proposition 37 on the November ballot "because it has long believed its customers have the right to know how their food is produced."

That "right to know" is the main argument for the ballot measure, which has strong support from farmers, processors and sellers of organic foods. It's opposed by biotech companies, grocery manufacturers and the soft drink industry, among others.

The grocery industry contends that genetically engineered foods are healthful and no different nutritionally from organic fruits, vegetables and grains.

Opponents, so far, have raised about $25 million to fight Proposition 37, while supporters reported $3.5 million as of Sept. 1, according to Maplight.org, a nonpartisan voter information service. Whole Foods has not contributed to the Yes on 37 campaign, according to filings with the California secretary of state.

Whole Foods' endorsement of Proposition 37 came with a couple of reservations.

In a Sept. 11 press release, the market complained that a 0.5% threshold was too low for exempting a product containing a small amount of genetically engineered content from the labeling requirement.

The company also objected to a provision that would allow private attorneys to sue on behalf of the state, alleging a violation of the labeling mandate, should it become law.

Stacy Malkan, the spokeswoman for the Proposition 37 campaign, welcomed the Whole Foods endorsement. "It shows support from a very important retailer," she said. "They make an effort to keep GMOs [genetically modified organisms] out of their stores."

But Malkan noted that the parts of Proposition 37 that Whole Foods doesn't like can't be removed from the initiative before the election. Nor can they be changed, if it should be approved, unless the effort gets the approval of two-thirds of the state Legislature and is deemed to be "in furtherance" of the law's intent.

Whole Foods' concerns with the initiative are legitimate but its call for modifying Proposition 37 is misguided, said Kathy Fairbanks, a spokeswoman for the No campaign.

"None of these provisions can be changed easily," she said. "The only way to get a change is through another ballot measure."
    http://organicconnectmag.com/wp/whol...roposition-37/

Whole Foods Market Backs California’s GMO Labeling Proposition 37

Whole Foods Market supports California’s Proposition 37 requiring mandatory labeling of genetically engineered foods by July 1, 2014 because it has long believed its customers have the right to know how their food is produced. However, the company has some reservations with the proposition as drafted and hopes several issues can be addressed in the implementation phase should voters approve the measure, including:

1.The use of 0.5% of the total weight as the upper limit for processed foods that contain one or more genetically engineered ingredients to be exempted from labeling is inconsistent with the long-established international labeling standard of 0.9%.

2.The people of California’s best interests will not be properly represented as the enforcement of Proposition 37 will not be handled in partnership with the California Attorney General’s Office to ensure objective guidance and impartial oversight, but instead by private plaintiff attorneys pursuing civil litigation.

Because of the inconsistency in thresholds and the lack of Attorney General oversight, manufacturers could be compelled to label products with “May be Partially Produced with Genetic Engineering” even if it is not the case to avoid costly litigation and protect themselves. This could result in consumers receiving inaccurate information, which is contrary to the intent of the proposition itself.

Additionally, Whole Foods Market is encouraged by the parallel effort in Washington State with their proposed Initiative Measure No. 522 as it already addresses some of the concerns of California’s Proposition 37. These two state initiatives could possibly lead to a broader effort to create one federal standard on labeling of genetically engineered foods similar to how the National Organic Standards were formed. One set of rules and uniform support of a consumer’s right to know would ultimately be in the best interest of all.

Then we could create another company that certifies that certification companies aren't being paid off to lie, like ratings companies.
    "When a portion of wealth is transferred from the person who owns it—without his consent and without compensation, and whether by force or by fraud—to anyone who does not own it, then I say that property is violated; that an act of plunder is committed." - Bastiat : The Law

"nothing evil grows in alcohol" ~ @presence

"I mean can you imagine what it would be like if firemen acted like police officers? They would only go into a burning house only if there's a 100% chance they won't get any burns. I mean, you've got to fully protect thy self first." ~ juleswin

Likely to pass at this point:
    http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...,5015236.story

Poll finds Prop. 37 is likely to pass

By more than a 2-to-1 margin, California voters favor an initiative to require food manufacturers and retailers to label fresh produce and processed foods that contain genetically engineered ingredients.

With less than six weeks until election day, Proposition 37 is supported by 61% of registered voters and opposed by 25%, according to a new USC Dornsife/Los Angeles Times poll. An additional 14% were undecided or refused to answer.

The poll showed broad support among voter groups, but the interviews took place before Tuesday's start of a major television advertising blitz by opponents aimed at changing voters' minds on the issue.

So far, the opposition campaign has raised more than $32.5 million, collected mostly from businesses affected by the measure.

The first 30-second television spot complains that passage of the labeling initiative would foster more government bureaucracy and send food prices spiraling. The commercial features Central Valley farmer Ted Sheeley, who grows corn, cotton, tomatoes, pistachios and other crops. He warns that "the people least able to pay are going to be forced to pay more" for food. It calls the measure "the deceptive food labeling initiative."

I've always felt the organic movement is a joke to begin with so when I see this stuff it just amuses me.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agorism View Post
    I've always felt the organic movement is a joke to begin with so when I see this stuff it just amuses me.
    Well maybe you should learn about how plants grow and the environment and nutrients and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by ClydeCoulter View Post
    Then we could create another company that certifies that certification companies aren't being paid off to lie, like ratings companies.
    There should be a multitude of certification companies competing to be the most credible, open, and honest.

Do you seriously believe the states "organic" label means its organic?

***Honorable Mentions***
    RandRevolution

Brawndo, it's got what plants crave.

In their Whole Deal brochure, they attacked a company for listing "Natural Flavors" and not disclosing what chemicals those were. They were advertising their organic wafers, which have "Natural Butter Flavor." I lol'd so hard. Like at any store, one must know what they are buying at Whole Foods. Their packaged stuff sometimes contains as much crap as any regular store. Their organic produce, though, is the real deal.

Cliff Notes for anyone not wanting to burn 17 minutes: Whole Foods has not donated to support Prop 37. Whole Foods sells some products that contain GMOs. Most big-name companies are trying to defeat Prop 37. Most small, natural-health companies have donated for it. 365 Organic stuff does not have GMOs, but non-organic stuff might. Some workers there know about GMO, others do not.

My take: No kidding some workers don't know everything there is to know about the store. Most of the workers seemed to know that there were GMOs in the store. This appears to be an attack from The Left. Hating on a company because it does not get involved in a political matter is ridiculous. Hating on a company or a person for not donating money to a cause is also ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    Brawndo, it's got what plants crave.
    ^^this is where we are heading...

Quote Originally Posted by TCE View Post
    In their Whole Deal brochure, they attacked a company for listing "Natural Flavors" and not disclosing what chemicals those were. They were advertising their organic wafers, which have "Natural Butter Flavor." I lol'd so hard. Like at any store, one must know what they are buying at Whole Foods. Their packaged stuff sometimes contains as much crap as any regular store. Their organic produce, though, is the real deal.

Cliff Notes for anyone not wanting to burn 17 minutes: Whole Foods has not donated to support Prop 37. Whole Foods sells some products that contain GMOs. Most big-name companies are trying to defeat Prop 37. Most small, natural-health companies have donated for it. 365 Organic stuff does not have GMOs, but non-organic stuff might. Some workers there know about GMO, others do not.

My take: No kidding some workers don't know everything there is to know about the store. Most of the workers seemed to know that there were GMOs in the store. This appears to be an attack from The Left. Hating on a company because it does not get involved in a political matter is ridiculous. Hating on a company or a person for not donating money to a cause is also ridiculous.
    When the hubby worked there, they were trying to work with Coca Cola to sell Coke there, because it fit their guidelines. But Coca Cola won't let retailers sell just Coke, and since other products in the line (like Diet Coke) weren't "clean" they couldn't make it fly.

A lot of people think Whole Foods is organic, but they're not. They are, however, pretty strict about what chemicals they won't allow in the foods they sell.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    When the hubby worked there, they were trying to work with Coca Cola to sell Coke there, because it fit their guidelines. But Coca Cola won't let retailers sell just Coke, and since other products in the line (like Diet Coke) weren't "clean" they couldn't make it fly.

A lot of people think Whole Foods is organic, but they're not. They are, however, pretty strict about what chemicals they won't allow in the foods they sell.
    +Rep. Cool story. I'm glad Whole Foods is disallowing at least some things in their stores. The part about it that I get is, most of the money Whole Foods makes it not off of organics. I believe I read somewhere back in the day that 2/3 of their profit is from non-organics, and I believe it. The video complains that Whole Foods isn't educating people about GMOs and isn't protecting people from themselves. Well, if people want to go into Whole Foods and believe that the non-organic chocolate brownies are health foods, then that's their problem. Asking Whole Foods to act as Big Brother seems foolish.

At Whole Foods, one finds the best stuff in the produce section as well as a very nice variety in the cooking oils and spices sections as well. They also have a good amount of organic meats and poultry. Everything in-between, though, well, that's a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by TCE View Post
    At Whole Foods, one finds the best stuff in the produce section as well as a very nice variety in the cooking oils and spices sections as well. They also have a good amount of organic meats and poultry. Everything in-between, though, well, that's a different story.
    Important to remember that "Organic" is not the be all and end all as well. Especially when it comes to meat, eggs, and poultry. An "organic" factory farmed animal or egg is really no better than a non-organic one. The label to pay attention to when it comes to meat is "grass fed" and with eggs and chickens it is "pastured" (which is not the same as "cage free", another largely irrelevant label).

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by RonPaulMall View Post
    Important to remember that "Organic" is not the be all and end all as well. Especially when it comes to meat, eggs, and poultry. An "organic" factory farmed animal or egg is really no better than a non-organic one. The label to pay attention to when it comes to meat is "grass fed" and with eggs and chickens it is "pastured" (which is not the same as "cage free", another largely irrelevant label).
    not true. Non organic commercial poultry is a disaster. They get chicks to butcher weight in weeks now using a vast mixture of steroids and hormones beginning injecting eggs with steroids. Meats are very tainted if not raised right
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it."
    James Madison

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Samuel Adams

Μολὼν λάβε
    Dum Spiro, Pugno
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

Is anyone making these retards shop at Whole Foods ??

Yes, asking low-skilled, low-wage short term employees about the marketing and labeling practices of Whole Foods is representative of sales training by the company.

Nothing at all could ever go wrong with that assumption.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul
    Perhaps the most important lesson from Obamacare is that while liberty is lost incrementally, it cannot be regained incrementally. The federal leviathan continues its steady growth; sometimes boldly and sometimes quietly. Obamacare is just the latest example, but make no mistake: the statists are winning. So advocates of liberty must reject incremental approaches and fight boldly for bedrock principles.
    The epitome of libertarian populism

There should be a multitude of certification companies competing to be the most credible, open, and honest.

Do you seriously believe the states "organic" label means its organic?
    Well, to be fair I am certain that every one of them contains chemicals that have carbon atoms.

Underwriters' Laboratories isn't mandated either.

That's what makes it work. If it were mandated, it would become crooked in short order. Power corrupts. And it's unnecessary, because integrity sells.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by puppetmaster View Post
    not true. Non organic commercial poultry is a disaster. They get chicks to butcher weight in weeks now using a vast mixture of steroids and hormones beginning injecting eggs with steroids. Meats are very tainted if not raised right
    Both steroid and hormone use on poultry is illegal in the US -- both organic and not organic. If that's why you are buying organic than you wasting your money.

Here is a relevent quote:
    Consumer misconceptions about industry practices have been increasing for decades, but poultry companies have avoided addressing issues like hormone and steroid use – none is used in any U.S.-grown chickens. When consumer misconception was less prevalent in earlier times, poultry companies chose to not raise a negative issue with consumers. More recently – though a majority of consumers now believe that hormones are used in chicken production – companies still have been reluctant to advertise that hormones and steroids are not used. The thinking at many companies has been that it is disingenuous to advertise that their chicken contains none of a substance that isn’t in any chicken produced by any U.S. producer and which is, in fact, banned by law.

http://www.wattagnet.com/Gary_Thornt...es,_cages.html

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast