Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I've been trying to get through Atlas Shrugged

I've been trying to get through Atlas Shrugged

For weeks. I keep reading books in between. What's the secret to staying focused? It's become almost a personal vendetta now. I must finish it. I took a second degree in English and read so many books. The only one I've never been able to finish is Moby Dick. That book blew. I don't want to add to that list.
    "Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
    —Charles Mackay

"god i fucking wanna rip his balls off and offer them to the gods"
    -Anonymous

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I got it on audio book. but i'm on the road a lot.
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

Quote Originally Posted by torchbearer View Post
    Great idea. I used to be on the road constantly, but new employment keeps me close to home. I do drive two hours every tuesday, though. I'm ordering it.
    "Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
    —Charles Mackay

"god i fucking wanna rip his balls off and offer them to the gods"
    -Anonymous

ROFLMAO!!! Kathy you crack me up girl! Moby Dick "blew"! LOL! Reminds me of a bong my dad used to have back in the day....it had a whale on it and a caption that read: Moby Dick is not a disease.

LOL.
    Diversity finds unity in the message of freedom.

Dilige et quod vis fac. ~ Saint Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Above all I think everyone needs to understand that neither the Bundys nor Finicum were militia or had prior military training. They were, first and foremost, Ranchers who had about all the shit they could take.
    Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD View Post
    If anything, this situation has proved the government is nothing but a dictatorship backed by deadly force... no different than the dictatorships in the banana republics, just more polished and cleverly propagandized.
    "I'll believe in good cops when they start turning bad cops in."

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    In a free society there will be bigotry, and racism, and sexism and religious disputes and, and, and.......
    I don't want to live in a cookie cutter, federally mandated society.
    Give me messy freedom every time!

I gave up on it, myself. I wanted to love it, but I didn't.
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

Put it next to the crapper. Eventually you'll get through it.

I enjoyed it overall, but Rand inserted a virulently anti-religion rant somewhere towards the end that kind of came out of left field. That was irritating.

Yeah, I share the feelings of some in this thread. I have a copy that I haven't read, it sits there on my bookshelf eyeballing me saying, "read me".

It just seems too long for someone who already understands the principles of liberty, free market, and cronyism. Why bother?

But I know it's done plenty of good for the Liberty movement.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I couldn't put it down. However I also read right through the twilight saga in 3 days.
    In New Zealand:
    The Coastguard is a Charity
    Air Traffic Control is a private company run on user fees
    The DMV is a private non-profit
    Rescue helicopters and ambulances are operated by charities and are plastered with corporate logos
    The agriculture industry has zero subsidies
    5% of the national vote, gets you 5 seats in Parliament
    A tax return has 4 fields
    Business licenses aren't a thing
    Prostitution is legal
    We have a constitutional right to refuse any type of medical care

Plowed through it as required reading in ... not English Lit ... but, a World History class.

Quote Originally Posted by VoluntaryAmerican View Post
    Yeah, I share the feelings of some in this thread. I have a copy that I haven't read, it sits there on my bookshelf eyeballing me saying, "read me".

It just seems too long for someone who already understands the principles of liberty, free market, and cronyism. Why bother?

But I know it's done plenty of good for the Liberty movement.
    Its a different perspective on the liberty movement . Its good to be part of the quire and have someone preach to you. Its a constant state of growth you need to be in. I was what I would consider fully awake before I read atlas shrugged and it changed me as did rothbard and others. To this day no other person has influenced my life in such a way as Rand. I simply integrated much of her philosophy into the one I already had under construction.

I strongly suggest this book to anyone who hasn't read it. It focuses strictly on the morality of liberty. Not economics or politics as much as it does morality. Thats one thing I think people miss when reading this book. And those that miss it and love the book I cant stand because its like they never really read it. And those that miss it and hate the book I feel hate it because they missed what its really about.
    Terminus tela viaticus!

Quote Originally Posted by kathy88 View Post
    Great idea. I used to be on the road constantly, but new employment keeps me close to home. I do drive two hours every tuesday, though. I'm ordering it.
    I started listening to the audiobook but only made it about halfway. It's over 60 hours long!

Try the movies?
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Try the movies?
    Terminus tela viaticus!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Try the movies?
    Bad idea. Only watch the movies after reading the book. The first movie can't hold a candle to the compelling power of the book.

---

The first 100-150 pages of Atlas Shrugged are very slow. However, from pages 150-950, I don't know how you possess the ability to willingly put the book down. Then there's a 200 page speech that slows wayy down again, only for the book to conclude quite nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Put it next to the crapper. Eventually you'll get through it.
    I prefer to read it while washing laundry. Definitely not what I consider a page-turner...but not awful either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    As an aside, one huge advantage I had going for me when I read Atlas Shrugged was that I had never heard of Ayn Rand. I had no biases going into the book. That book was a turning point in leading me to libertarianism. Perhaps if one reads the book already having notions of Rand and libertarianism, the books revelatory powers are a bit muted.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss View Post
    Bad idea. Only watch the movies after reading the book. The first movie can't hold a candle to the compelling power of the book.

---

The first 100-150 pages of Atlas Shrugged are very slow. However, from pages 150-950, I don't know how you possess the ability to willingly put the book down. Then there's a 200 page speech that slows wayy down again, only for the book to conclude quite nicely.
    INDEED!!! Movies have never been able to live up to the books they are based on. Cinematographers have never been able to capture narrative properly IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by torchbearer View Post
    Yep the audiobook is much easier. I've read it once and listened to it a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by fletcher View Post
    I started listening to the audiobook but only made it about halfway. It's over 60 hours long!
    get this version. 10-11 hours. This is a great version. i have listened to it like 6 times.

http://www.amazon.com/Atlas-Shrugged/dp/B000FDJ3D2
    Last edited by WilliamShrugged; 09-26-2012 at 08:39 PM.
    Once more into the fray...
    Into the last good fight I'll ever know.
    Live and die on this day...
    Live and die on this day...

i spent a long weekend in my teens by first reading THE FOUNTAINHEAD and then ATLAS SHRUGGED just so i could boast of it later!

I liked it,but then I loved Moby Dick.No accounting for taste.
    Last edited by mad cow; 09-26-2012 at 10:36 PM.

I couldn't put it down the first time. Have worn out several copies. Listened to unabridged audiobook twice also. All this over a period of about 45 years.

For weeks. I keep reading books in between. What's the secret to staying focused? It's become almost a personal vendetta now. I must finish it. I took a second degree in English and read so many books. The only one I've never been able to finish is Moby Dick. That book blew. I don't want to add to that list.
    I feel like saying Moby Dick blew is a double entendre. There is the obvious blowjob joke there. (heh heh She blew MY Moby Dick!) But also I think there is a more subtle joke there. After all Moby Dick was a whale, and whales are famous for blowing water out their BLOW holes. So Moby Dick literally blew as well.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carehn View Post
    Its a different perspective on the liberty movement . Its good to be part of the quire and have someone preach to you. Its a constant state of growth you need to be in. I was what I would consider fully awake before I read atlas shrugged and it changed me as did rothbard and others. To this day no other person has influenced my life in such a way as Rand. I simply integrated much of her philosophy into the one I already had under construction.

I strongly suggest this book to anyone who hasn't read it. It focuses strictly on the morality of liberty. Not economics or politics as much as it does morality. Thats one thing I think people miss when reading this book. And those that miss it and love the book I cant stand because its like they never really read it. And those that miss it and hate the book I feel hate it because they missed what its really about.
    I think you meant choir.

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    INDEED!!! Movies have never been able to live up to the books they are based on. Cinematographers have never been able to capture narrative properly IMO.
    I don't think its that. Its just that movies require a different type of narrative.

If it is any consolation, it took me about 6 months to get through it. Rand had great messages but was not always the best at delivery. A-S could have been written as effectively in about 1/4 to 1/3 the space. Way too much time spent on imagery and so forth, not to mention the endless repetition of the message. If you're going to write a political polemic, don't make it an over-long and redundant novel. Just my worthless opinion, of course.

I liked the messages in the main, but found the sheer volume of the work unnecessary.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Keep thinking the word "suspense". Suspense. Atlas Shrugged definitely has suspense. Suspense is an artistic thing and a good thing.

The first time I read it, I was young and I got a bit frustrated with it because I kept asking "when is anything ever going to happen?" The "nothing happening" is "suspense". It doesn't have non-stop action and sword battles the whole way through. But there's a big pay-off in the end. Things really do happen...eventually. It's just got to set you up for it first. And that takes a long time.

The audiobook made it very easy and enjoyable to take in. Listening in 8 to 12 hour chunks per day, it only took about a week and a half. And yes, I did listen to it in 8 to 12 hour chunks...that's how engrossing the story is. Absolutely loved it! In fact, I may have to re-listen soon.
    Last edited by BuddyRey; 09-27-2012 at 12:08 PM.
    "When it gets down to having to use violence, then you are playing the system's game. The establishment will irritate you - pull your beard, flick your face - to make you fight, because once they've got you violent then they know how to handle you. The only thing they don't know how to handle is non-violence and humor. "

---John Lennon

"I EAT NEOCONS FOR BREAKFAST!!!"

---Me

I think it helped me that I read her books in order. First Anthem, then We the Living, then Fountainhead, then Atlas. It allowed me to build up to the longer books.

But I would recommend that for your friends with shorter attention spans, have them watch Ratatouille instead of reading the Fountainhead. Its basically the same story, only better written, shorter, and easier to enjoy. Now if only the Pixar guys would take on an improved version of AS.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast