I live in Overland Park, KS, and I'm actually surprised. Overland Park is part of Johnson County, which is supposed to be a snobby area. I wouldn't have thought that it would be so gun friendly. On the other hand, why do we need permission to open carry...?

From: http://www.kctv5.com/story/19631320/...-carry-of-guns

OVERLAND PARK, KS (KCTV) -
Gun owners in Overland Park won't have to conceal their weapons in public after the city council made the decision Monday night, but it wasn't an easy vote.

The Overland Park city council voted, 11 to 1, to allow residents to openly carry their handguns in most public places for the first time.

The move comes after the state legislature passed a law essentially making it illegal for cities to restrict gun owners from carrying their weapons openly in public. The state attorney general recently confirmed the validity of the law.

Police Chief John Douglass vows to follow and enforce whatever ordinances are on the books (no matter how silly or unjust), but he has concerns for public safety.

"It will be met with disappointment with people who are afraid of firearms. I have reservations about the addition of firearms whether its a good idea or not," Douglass said (Of course you do...).

However, there are restrictions. The handgun must be in a holster with the safety engaged. Guns will not be allowed in public buildings or any buildings posting signs that ban guns, like schools (unless you break the magical forcefield of protection that is the law...).

City councilwoman Donna Owens initially had her reservations about the provision but says they simply had no choice to fall into line with state directives.

Councilman Paul "$#@!" Lyons cast the lone dissenting vote (Boo! Hiss!).

"I don't believe allowing the carrying of open weapons is an image we want to project (Why not? This is Kansas...we shoot gays and retards here.). We were just voted one of the top 10 cities in the country, and I don't believe this matches that," Lyons said.

The state law was passed in 2007, and over the summer, the city of Wichita asked for clarification. That is when the state attorney general issued an opinion saying cities needed to change their ordinances to fit the state law (Neener, neener, neener!).

Copyright 2012 KCTV (Meredith Corp.) All rights reserved.