Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New York Bans Soda larger than 16oz

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I wonder at the wording of the law. Could you sell two side by side 8 oz. cups that are connected with a straw/tube linking the bottom?

Sell them with advertising mocking the law. "Try our new Double 8 Ouncer!"
    Last edited by phill4paul; 09-13-2012 at 07:31 PM.

cuz there's just nothing else to do in a city meeting... right

Quote Originally Posted by opal View Post
    cuz there's just nothing else to do in a city meeting... right
    Na... they are apparently just having problems thinking of more ways to control people.

McDonald's soda special, "buy one 16oz get one free". Of course the current 16oz soda will have a higher price.
    "IF GOD DIDN'T WANT TO HELP AMERICA, THEN WE WOULD HAVE Hillary Clinton"!!
    "let them search you,touch you,violate your Rights,just don't be a dick!"~ cdc482
    "For Wales. Why Richard, it profits a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world. But for Wales?"
    All my life I've been at the mercy of men just following orders... Never again!~Erik Lehnsherr
    There's nothing wrong with stopping people randomly, especially near bars, restaurants etc.~Velho

Founder and leader of the militant wing of the Salvation Army.

I foresee a future with speakeasies serving twinkies and big gulps. Black market ftw.

Quote Originally Posted by aGameOfThrones View Post
    McDonald's soda special, "buy one 16oz get one free". Of course the current 16oz soda will have a higher price.
    Or buy one for the price of a 32oz and get the second free.

----

How about an accordion cup that collapses to 16oz but when pulled all the way out holds 32 ounces? They can hand the cup to the person as a 16oz cup and let the person pull it out to 32oz before they fill it from the fountain.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

"Buy one 8 oz. cup get a second at 3/4 price and receive a 16 0z. "I ♥ New York" commemorative cup for free!

It's $#@! like this... I only hope it wakes some more people up. At least then it won't be a total loss.

LOL

Can't say it enough, us kooks and crazies tried to warn people about this 30 years ago with onset of MADD, anti smoking campaigns and seat belt laws.

There's no stopping this $#@! now, a government that can prohibit your soda, your cheeseburger, your toilet bowl or your light bulb can prohibit or regulate whatever it $#@!ing feels like.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    LOL

Can't say it enough, us kooks and crazies tried to warn people about this 30 years ago with onset of MADD, anti smoking campaigns and seat belt laws.

There's no stopping this $#@! now, a government that can prohibit your soda, your cheeseburger, your toilet bowl or your light bulb can prohibit or regulate whatever it $#@!ing feels like.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexAmore View Post
    Thought propaganda was supposed to support a certain position. This one just illustrates how stupid it is to limit the amount of tea or diet drinks you can put in one cup just to try to keep people off of corn syrup.

Meanwhile, don't hold your breath on the creative marketing. Cups which are barely enough to quench your thirst have the same profit margin as cups big enough to last a minute. This thing is good for somebody--and as usual, it's businesses, not individuals, who benefit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

“The United States is a no Smoking nation – no smoking, no drinking, no drugs, no women (unless, of course, you’re married), no guns, no foul language, no red meat. Land of the free.” - Snake Pliskin

How long until they do try to outlaw Red Meat, Salt, Bacon, Butter, and everything else that they say is bad for you? When they eventually do, only the Outlaws will have these things, and no one else will have a life worth living.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    How long until they do try to outlaw Red Meat, Salt, Bacon, Butter, and everything else that they say is bad for you? When they eventually do, only the Outlaws will have these things, and no one else will have a life worth living.
    And only the bad guys will have the strength to win a fight, too...
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Bloomberg and his creepy health board are a bunch of pathetic busy-bodies.

The goal is to point to any future tiny drop in the New York City obesity rate as "proof" this worked, and thus more stuff is needed. The Nanny State is all about small steps; they can't get enough public support to do their whole agenda all at once (though there isn't majority public support for this, enen in liberal New York City; Bloomberg needed his unelected, unaccountable group of health board statists to decree it.)
    Last edited by RonPaulFanInGA; 09-14-2012 at 05:08 AM.

Now most people will buy two 12oz drinks.

I know how this turns out... Pretty soon, all the cool kids in the neighborhood will start drinking 20oz sodas just to prove how much of a rebel they are. Then the police will start cracking down on all these rebels. Then they will start an underground market where the pop sizes get larger and larger. Little Jimmy will get caught in the crossfire and they will start banning pop paraphernalia like plastic straws and CO2 dispensers. Before you know it the pop war will get out of hand and they will have to ban all sizes, you know, for the children!
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Yeah, I can see people drinking 44oz drinks all over the place just as a protest. I think Bloomberg has dementia or Alzheimers, just a few months ago he declared it donut day in NYC.

The Onion is now real life!

This is unreal!

No wonder everybody is so stupid, they let the government and media tell them everything they can and cannot do and then they defend them! Insane!

All hail Mother Bloomberg. High chief overload of what I ingest. This law is doomed to fail; there will be no reduction of obesitity as a result. The "Big Gulp" everyone keeps using as an example happens to be exempt from this law, so it seems pretty ineffective right from the start. People are just going to buy two mediums and possibly consume more (and pay twice the taxes). The GMO toxic sweetener is what should be outlawed, or at least labeled like a drug. Bloomberg is just another statist.

Because someone had to post it, here's Ron Paul from 24 years ago predicting this exact thing.

"Why don't they put you on a diet; you're a little overweight!" Still my favorite RP line.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I don't drink soda any more, but seeing this happen makes me want to walk around NYC with a full 52oz big gulp yelling '$#@! the police!'.

Quote Originally Posted by mport1 View Post
    I hope to see some civil disobedience from businesses. Break this law wholesale and let's see how violent the government thugs get.
    Don't hold your breath.

If that was going to happen, it would have already, with pub owners and the smoking bans.

Nope, businesses, especially the big chain places, will quickly and meekly comply.

Which is, of course, what all this is about, compliance.

It has nothing to do with public health, that's just the excuse given.

It is all about government issuing petty edicts and seeing how high and how fast you will jump.

And everybody will, they'll jump at their master's command and politely ask for another.

Quote Originally Posted by VBRonPaulFan View Post
    I don't drink soda any more, but seeing this happen makes me want to walk around NYC with a full 52oz big gulp yelling '$#@! the police!'.
    I think you've hit on the real reason for this. I think they really want a way to tell at a glance who just got off the train from Jersey.

Quote Originally Posted by VBRonPaulFan View Post
    hahahahaha omfg, you just made me spit coffee all over my keyboard!
    But then again, you, too, might be the real reason behind this corporatist law...
    Last edited by acptulsa; 09-14-2012 at 08:10 AM.

It amazes me that men such Emperor Bloomberg think the gov't can micro-manage things like soda sizes but at the same time claim abortion is a full right.
    "Power tends to confuse itself with virtue...conferring upon it a special responsibility for other nations—to make them richer and happier and wiser, to remake them, that is, in its own shining image. Power confuses itself with virtue and tends also to take itself for omnipotence. Once imbued with the idea of a mission, a great nation easily assumes that it has the means as well as the duty to do God's work." - William Fulbright

4 out of 5 Humans make bad Americans.

Still think you can fix this?
    “One may come to the aid of another being unlawfully arrested, just as he may where one is being assaulted, molested, raped or kidnapped. Thus it is not an offense to liberate one from the unlawful custody of an officer, even though he may have submitted to such custody, without resistance.” (Adams v. State, 121 Ga. 16, 48 S.E. 910).

Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    “The United States is a no Smoking nation – no smoking, no drinking, no drugs, no women (unless, of course, you’re married), no guns, no foul language, no red meat. Land of the free.” - Snake Pliskin

Yeah life will suck, but then the PTB will just put us in Happy seminars to educate us on what happiness is.

Chris Hedges’ chapter on the “Illusion of Happiness” in his book Empire of Illusion, addresses the issue of psychological conditioning. It would be amusing if it weren’t so tragic. It has the same tenor of pathos as his chapter on sex, in which one enthusiast waxes eloquent about his $7500 anatomically correct silicone dolls. (He has eight, with removeable heads, and he exults over the simulated veins in the feet and the dorsal venous arch—“really, really cool.”)

The silicone pitch in academia is “positive psychology,” or what Professor Cooperrider at Case Western Reserve University calls, “Transformational Positivity.” According to the professor, “Institutions can be a vehicle for bringing more courage into the world, for amplifying love in the world … temperance and justice, and so on.”

And so on it goes. Just think positive. (Remember that Indian guru who beguiled the Beetles? “Just be happy!” ) All we need is “appreciative inquiry” in order to “transform organizations into ‘Positive Institutions’.”

There are more than a hundred courses on positive psychology on college campuses. The University of Pennsylvania offers a Masters of Applied Positive Psychology, and Claremont Graduate University offers Ph.D. and M.A. concentrations in “The Science of Positive Psychology.” Such degree programs are also available in England, Italy and Mexico. They focus on “cultivating strengths, optimism, gratitude, and a positive perspective.” Think positively and positive things will happen. Sound familiar? Perhaps we should call such programs, “Becoming Oprah.”
    The wisdom of Swordy:

On bringing the troops home
    They are coming home, all the naysayers said they would never leave Syria and then they said they were going to stay in Iraq forever.

It won't take very long to get them home but it won't be overnight either but Iraq says they can't stay and they are coming home just like Trump said.

On fighting corruption:
    Trump had to donate the "right way" and hang out with the "right people" in order to do business in NYC and Hollyweird and in order to investigate and expose them.
    Fascism Defined

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast