Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gary Johnson; Libertarian failure.

Gary Johnson; Libertarian failure.

This interview is a $#@!ing train wreck. The man knows less than 90% of the people on these forums.

He does have a good freedom loving spirit and props for that, but he has zero grasp of the philosophy or economics.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Yeah, the guy sucks at politics, not sure how he got the job as governor of New Mexico.
    Last edited by RickyJ; 09-06-2012 at 01:07 AM.

I don't like how the GJ crew are shoving him down our throats...if they want us to get along with him, LEAD BY EXAMPLE. Plan events and invite us because most of us aren't going to be coordinating for him, at least not right off the bat...

We are the low hanging fruit and they are not PICKING us properly.
    THE SQUAD of RPF
    1. enhanced_deficit - Paid Troll / John Bolton book promoter
    2. Devil21 - LARPing Wizard, fake magical script reader
    3. Firestarter - Tax Troll; anti-tax = "criminal behavior"
    4. TheCount - Comet Pizza Pedo Denier <-- sick

@Ehanced_Deficit's real agenda on RPF =troll:

Who spends this much time copy/pasting the same recycled links, photos/talking points.

7 yrs/25k posts later RPF'ers still respond to this troll

Quote Originally Posted by RickyJ View Post
    Yeah, the guy sucks at politics, not sure how he got the job as governor of Arizona.
    Well he never did get elected governor of Arizona however he did get elected as governor of New Mexico.

Ron Paul is an amazing man isn't he?

Quote Originally Posted by WarAnonymous View Post
    Well he never did get elected governor of Arizona however he did get elected as governor of New Mexico.
    Oh, so that explains it then I suppose. New Mexico must take whoever they can get.

Oh, so that explains it then I suppose. New Mexico must take whoever they can get.
    Yeah sure sounds that way. Nothing against Johnson but I am not a supporter. If he had a legit shot of winning I would be pushing hard but I just don't see it. After this season of politics I can't restart with someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by eleganz View Post
    I don't like how the GJ crew are shoving him down our throats...if they want us to get along with him, LEAD BY EXAMPLE. Plan events and invite us because most of us aren't going to be coordinating for him, at least not right off the bat...

What do you mean? Is the GJ crew expecting supports to do staffing leg work like coordinating events?
    It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds. -Samuel Adams

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Not only is he ignorant but he doesn't even care that he's ignorant. If he wanted to, he could've gotten educated a long time ago now. He chose not to.

Contrast Gary's interview with this:

^^^THAT'S a libertarian candidate I could get excited about.
    Last edited by Sola_Fide; 09-06-2012 at 02:27 AM.

If I'm bored enough to go to the polls, I'll vote for him. But, yeah, he sounds retarded. Who is the Constitution Party candidate?

What a crappy election this fall will be. As if any of this matters anyway..Diebold just flips the $#@!.

He was terrible in the debates, repeated the same lines mostly. He doesn't roll off as nearly competent enough to be president. My problem with that is it's really easy to manipulate an uneducated person. If this guy became president he would only be slightly better than the other two candidates because he would be 'cabineted' into doing the stupid crap they want.

OMG I just listened to that interview.

This might just push me over to the "no way in hell i'm voting for gj" camp.

Can anyone say poser?
    It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds. -Samuel Adams

libertarian macho flash by the host,

the question isnt whether gj is more ideologically pure thanthe host or ron paul, but whethr he isbetter than romney, since the host an ron are not running

Quote Originally Posted by eleganz View Post

This is what's pissed a lot of people off about it. It's not just about getting people to vote for GJ - they want people to donate and go campaign for him. And they come in and say, "Hey YOU need to go do this/that, we'll just sit here and keep making new threads on the RP sites"

6:30 in, I can't listen to anymore.
    Maybe we should keep Johnson out of the debates...

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by libertariantexas View Post
    libertarian macho flash by the host,

the question isnt whether gj is more ideologically pure thanthe host or ron paul, but whethr he isbetter than romney, since the host an ron are not running
    Although I agree the host could have presented himself as less of a jerk or an example of "gotcha" journalism, the topics however are generally being discussed at a very high level and in some cases introductory for a presidential candidate that is presenting himself as an alternative and suggesting Ron Paul supporters vote for him. Many Ron Paul supporters have economics as a central issue and have much interest in looking for someone that is well versed in economics, and not someone that is just getting started on those topics. It has nothing to do with purity or being better than the host or Ron Paul it has everything to do with knowing at least the basics of economics, the business cycle and the federal reserve.

This is the equivalent of Ron Paul having created a reading list to Rudy back in '07 on foreign policy to help him better understand the concept of blowback, except in this case it's economics, and as Ron Paul has pointed out a number of times if you don't understand the business cycle then you are not going to understand how to address all the issues that stem from it.

I'll be the first to admit winning over Ron Paul supporters is probably going to be the hardest type of voters to get, mainly because a candidate will have to do their homework and not just show up and try to shmooze their way through interviews. Educated voters will see right through that, I'd think many of us over the years have gotten pretty good at reading between the lines and seeing through the bull$#@!. You have to come with your A-Game, and coming up after Ron Paul is a tough act to follow cause the man literally is a super nerd lol (and I say that with affection and good old humor), but yea the man reads a LOT! He doesn't do ironman competitions or climb mount everest instead he's home reading every economic or related book for the past 30 years and then talking about and debating the topics with economists and politicians.

I feel genuinely sorry for anyone that tries to pass themselves off as the next Ron Paul cause it's going to be a challenge, but to be honest someone doesn't really have to, but they do have to do some homework and have their ducks in a row. The topics and thought leaders or subject matter experts or just base of knowledge that were being asked of Gary wasn't unreasonable questions, Gary just was not prepared at all for those questions because he does not study those topics in great depth, plain and simple. And the question then is, is a man that is not very focused on topics of economics when it relates to views of the individuals he's representing okay? This is a similar question that could have been posed to Sarah Palin. Gary Johnson didn't do himself any favors by not preparing for that interview, on a show that is titled "economic policy journal" or lack of preparation and study in general it seems prior to this election cycle. If he's thinking of courting certain segments of Ron Paul supporters, he's going to have to do a much better job.
    Last edited by orenbus; 09-06-2012 at 07:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by thatpeculiarcat View Post
    Might not be a bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by thatpeculiarcat View Post
    6:30 in, I can't listen to anymore.
    I don't see how he would get in the debates unless he was Ron Paul's VP candidate.

I am not voting for Johnson, because I do not agree with him on some key things, but I guess I don't understand why all the attacks on him because he isn't a pure enough libertarian. At least he's trying to learn more about it, as compared to Romney, or Obama.

It comes off as very snobbish and cult-like, almost.

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEagle View Post
    I am not voting for Johnson, because I do not agree with him on some key things, but I guess I don't understand why all the attacks on him because he isn't a pure enough libertarian. At least he's trying to learn more about it, as compared to Romney, or Obama.

Not meant to be harsh but I don't believe he is ready to be president of the United States. He really struggles on some key questions about economics.

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEagle View Post

It's not about purity, it's about at least having a base of knowledge that he does not posses, which he should as a presidential candidate. The same could have been said about Sarah Palin when she ran four years ago, I'm not completely against Gary Johnson, and I may still vote for him but the above interview is kind of a disaster and doesn't help to convince me to vote for him.

Last edited by orenbus; 09-06-2012 at 02:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by orenbus View Post
    It's not about purity, it's about at least having a base of knowledge that he does not posses, which he should as a presidential candidate. The same could have been said about Sarah Palin when she ran four years ago, I'm not completely against Gary Johnson, and I may still vote for him but this interview is kind of a disaster and doesn't help to convince me to vote for him.
    I've seen a few interviews that have worried me.

Quote Originally Posted by orenbus View Post
    It's not about purity, it's about at least having a base of knowledge that he does not posses, which he should as a presidential candidate. The same could have been said about Sarah Palin when she ran four years ago, I'm not completely against Gary Johnson, and I may still vote for him but the above interview is kind of a disaster and doesn't help to convince me to vote for him.
    Ok. I guess I am different in that regard. I would vote for Farmer John if I thought he had the best principles and wasn't a globalist puppet.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by WarAnonymous View Post
    Not meant to be harsh but I don't believe he is ready to be president of the United States. He really struggles on some key questions about economics.
    I don't like any of our choices, personally. But just for grins, are you saying Obama or Romney would be preferable? Because if you aren't, why aren't we encouraging Johnson to study things we think he should learn, rather than driving him towards camps such as CATO, that we oftentimes do not agree with.

Big give away if he had seen this video at 33 seconds (names on the wall) could have helped avoid a miss step during the interview.

Last edited by orenbus; 09-06-2012 at 03:21 AM.

Ha ha. That video is great. I'd never seen it.

But, while in office, Gary Johnson was one of the best governors in American history.

I think we tend to over-value the more apparent political skills (demagoguing issues, rhetoric, personality, etc.) and under-value the more important ones (surrounding himself with good people, reasoning ability, understanding of nuance, thinking ahead, strategic thinking, etc.) Ron rules at politics because he's amazing at nearly all of these things. No one is Ron Paul. Gary's good enough for me though, because of his track record.

^^^THAT'S a libertarian candidate I could get excited about.
    And YET.... even Harry Browne was a "controversial" LP nominee with all kinds of infighting surrounding the process - I remember it all too well. The AZ LP even rebelled and put L. Neil Smith on the ballot for president instead of Harry in 2000 which meant he was on in 49 states instead of 50.

For more read this: http://www.harrybrowne.org/2000/Controversy.htm

There are lessons to be learned here. "Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it" and all that.

Quote Originally Posted by XTreat View Post
    This interview is a $#@!ing train wreck. The man knows less than 90% of the people on these forums.

He does have a good freedom loving spirit and props for that, but he has zero grasp of the philosophy or economics.
    Agreed ! Write-In for Paul 2012
    One hundred senators, 435 congressmen, one President, and nine Supreme Court justices equates to 545 human beings out of the 300 million are directly, legally, morally, and individually responsible for the domestic problems that plague this country.
    Learn More at https://www.facebook.com/FireFiveFortyfive

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast