Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So, I just decided to run for office.

So, I just decided to run for office.

OK, I just spoke to my wife. I'm going to run for office, probably next cycle. Probably a state house seat.

I can't wait. Building some cred within my local party now, so hopefully they will be supportive.
    Thank you for all of your service Ron Paul. You have awakened a great number of liberty minded folks, and inspired many to run for office themselves.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Terrific! Let us know what office when you get it worked out!
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

Please stick with your goal and keep us informed!
    Welcome to the R3VOLUTION!

Awesome! What state? Just curious have you ran for anything local level before?

(I'm trying to keep this family freindly)

&^%&*^&(^^ RIGHT ON!
    "The Patriarch"

I hope to do the same one day too. Do a lot of door knocking, and try to get in touch with your state or local liberty/paul group for volunteers.
    I am more and more convinced that man is a dangerous creature and that power, whether vested in many or a few, is ever grasping, and like the grave, cries, 'Give, give.'

Abigail Adams

All the best! Don't be shy about asking for support!

Maybe Monotaur is starting a new RPF movement? (I know he's not the first on this forum)
    "The Patriarch"

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Thanks for all of the encouragement!

I have not run for office before. Closest thing is a delegate at GOP conventions. Someone else in my county, another Paul supporter, just stood up and volunteered at our County Assembly to run in another house district because he was tired of crap politicians and wanted to fix things, so the barrier to entry isn't too high.

I'm in Colorado, and will definitely touch base on this again when things are ironed out. It may be a while since it'll be next cycle. My house district is notoriously liberal though, which presents interesting challenges. Anyway, lots to think about there, strategy wise.

One thing I know I need to work on is public speaking. I'm going to be joining our local Liberty Toastmasters group and get working on that. I've seen how helpful they have been to our other local candidates, so I have hope that I can be helped too.

Anyway, thanks!
    Thank you for all of your service Ron Paul. You have awakened a great number of liberty minded folks, and inspired many to run for office themselves.

You could always run as a democrat. Nothing wrong with that.
    Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    god damn vipers, all of them.

That's awesome Monotaur. Best of luck to you.

Move to NH now as you need to claim to be here for 2 years before you may run for state house

But seriously, please remember to take bit coins and run on the green party. Or even the LP, after all, it did start in CO.

Btw, I heard Jesse Benton is looking for a job.
    Last edited by Keith and stuff; 08-30-2012 at 10:42 PM.
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

2014 started.... at least 18 months ago.

But go for it build your network now. Round up all the RPF people from Colorado you can find.
    In New Zealand:
    The Coastguard is a Charity
    Air Traffic Control is a private company run on user fees
    The DMV is a private non-profit
    Rescue helicopters and ambulances are operated by charities and are plastered with corporate logos
    The agriculture industry has zero subsidies
    5% of the national vote, gets you 5 seats in Parliament
    A tax return has 4 fields
    Business licenses aren't a thing
    Prostitution is legal
    We have a constitutional right to refuse any type of medical care

now this is Dr. Paul's legacy !!
    good luck !
    Ron Paul 2012: Liberty, Peace and Prosperity for America !

Ron Paul: Predictions of 24 April 2002 - see how many came true
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGDisyWkIBM

Vote On Principles, Defend Our Constitution, Follow the Path shown by the Founders !

Quote Originally Posted by idiom View Post
    2014 started.... at least 18 months ago.

But go for it build your network now. Round up all the RPF people from Colorado you can find.
    We have a large group of RP delegates and liberty minded folks here, and we are going to be meeting soon to discuss our plans for as many of us to run for office as possible. We already have 3 in my county running this year, so maybe we can make a good dent in the establishment here.

That is awesome. Do it!
    It's R[̲̅ə̲̅٨̲̅٥̲̅٦̲̅]UTION time!

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monotaur View Post
    One thing I know I need to work on is public speaking. I'm going to be joining our local Liberty Toastmasters group and get working on that. I've seen how helpful they have been to our other local candidates, so I have hope that I can be helped too.
    This is key for many of us who are not naturally outgoing speakers who feel natural going on and on in front of an audience.

I went from stumbling through words in front of people to being very comfortable giving a speech anywhere, anytime. All with the help of Toastmasters. I went for about 6 months, after about 3 months I was a competent speaker.
    Definition of political insanity: Voting for the same people expecting different results.

Awesome. I had the same conversation with my wife recently about state house rep in two years. No decision has been made but I'm going to start preparing, networking, getting better known in the party, etc. now for when the decision is final.

The contacts and networking are valuable no matter what choice is made. but I'm leaning towards .........

Good stuff - I havent made the final leap yet, although I have started the ground work. I got myself appointed to a position in my local government to begin the process of networking and getting support. I cannot commit to the next cycle but I am willing to run for office in the near future.

Please keep us posted on your progress and your learnings so maybe others, who have similar thoughts, know what to do and try to avoid..

Best of luck!

+ rep for running!

And great idea to join Toastmaster's. I overcame my fear of public speaking due to joining and then spent seven years as a corporate trainer.

Congrats, wish you the best. I'm sure Ron Paul would be doing this if he knew

Last edited by squirekyle; 08-31-2012 at 08:07 AM.

Go ahead and flood the primaries with your like-minded friends. And encourage liberty leaning democrats to do the same. If the only choices we have are liberty candidates we can't lose.

I want to eventually run for town council. I won my election as committeeman this last primary. Good luck
    A savage barbaric tribal society where thugs parade the streets and illegally assault and murder innocent civilians, yeah that is the alternative to having police. Oh wait, that is the police

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.
    - Edward R. Murrow

...I think we have moral obligations to disobey unjust laws, because non-cooperation with evil is as much as a moral obligation as cooperation with good. - MLK Jr.

How to trigger a liberal: "I didn't get vaccinated."

If those in the neocon faction of the party want to run someone, expect a primary. Jon's district went well, because they know it's a lot more work and virtually unattainable. - at least that's why he had no primary challenger.

Best wishes!

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    If you're serious about winning, take every Campaign for Liberty training course you can, specifically start at LPAC. Then also take every Leadership Institute course that you can.

If you want to get elected, only run for an open seat, challenging an incumbent will practically guarantee that you won't get elected. Look at how many dollars it has historically taken to win that seat, and go from there.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Yea!!!

lovin it!!! Go Ron Paul! You carry him on with you.
    Last edited by TrishW; 08-31-2012 at 01:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Monotaur View Post
    OK, I just spoke to my wife. I'm going to run for office, probably next cycle. Probably a state house seat.

I can't wait. Building some cred within my local party now, so hopefully they will be supportive.
    Excellent to hear Monotaur. I would really look forward to you running for an office, no matter at what level. You being an RPF member means that much more to me, keep us updated on your entire adventure in jumping into this. The details may help more of us decide to run and what it takes to win, such as Gunny when he ran and won. Awesome and yes you have balls! We need you

Sorry for another post but...

My father, uncle, and grandfather were all involved as city managers and county executives to begin with up in Michigan a while back, and ever since I've been interested in starting out getting my feet wet in probably the smallest office to start to climb the ladder and learn the ropes. I've been meeting and talking with others involved locally where I live now in Florida and am making it my goal to soon go after it, not for me but for our movement. I think we all should consider it, the more that run the better the odds. Threads like these make my day!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    If you're serious about winning, take every Campaign for Liberty training course you can, specifically start at LPAC. Then also take every Leadership Institute course that you can.

If you want to get elected, only run for an open seat, challenging an incumbent will practically guarantee that you won't get elected. Look at how many dollars it has historically taken to win that seat, and go from there.
    Solid advice.

Monotaur, what is your biography (background, experience, what makes you a credible candidate) and your message? Where in Colorado are you? I know some experienced people there I can put you in touch with. PM me if you prefer. Definitely get involved with the local party.
    http://www.iycki.org

Pro-life conservative Constitutionalist libertarian.

I stand with Rand.

Great initiative Monotaur!

We're here for the experience.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast