* Dolley did not do everything she was supposed to do because her son (James Madison's stepson) siphoned off $50,000 from Dolley's bank account.
* Despite tough economic conditions for eastern tobacco farmers, James left his wife plenty of money to keep her lifestyle and free the slaves, had the stepson not cashed in.
* Martha Washington was afraid her slaves would murder her if she did not free the slaves ASAP. Unlike Washington;s slaves, Madison's slaves loved James Madison.
* Madison's treatment of slaves was very humane despite the fact that Madison's grandfather Ambrose Madison was murdered by slaves in 1732.
* laws against free blacks had become much harsher by the 1830s and 1840s, then they were when Washington died in 1799.
* among Madison's slaves, 1/3 were children, 1/3 were old or infirm. Only 1/6 were able bodied males who could fend for themselves if freed. So if Madison freed the able bodied males, the rest would starve to death.
* I will take slave Paul Jennings opinion of Madison over yours. Paul Jennings said James Madison was the greatest man who ever lived.