Thread: GOP BACKS CONGRESS' WAR POWERS, RON PAUL PLEASED

GOP BACKS CONGRESS' WAR POWERS, RON PAUL PLEASED

Now this is a 'reportedly pleased' and I haven't read the plank itself but better than not having it.

The Hill reports Ron Paul is happy with the GOP’s foreign policy plank in the platform because there is strong language that reiterates that only Congress has the power to declare war, which is explicitly written in the Constitution.

Paul has long been a critic of interventions and misadventures abroad. The draft platform, which will be voted on by all of the delegates on Monday, did not include several amendments against nation-building that his supporters wanted.

Yet Jesse Benton, who ran Paul’s presidential campaign and also is his son in-law, told The Hill that while “we didn't get everything we wanted, we were pleased to get foreign-policy language stating that only Congress can declare war, one of our biggest priorities.”
    Paul delegate Richard Ford, according to The Hill, denounced nation building when introducing one of the amendments against nation-building that got voted down.

“Nation-building is a failed policy of the Democrats and we Republicans need to go back to the humble foreign policy of George Bush before 9/11,” Ford said. “9/11 pushed us into a situation where we had to do some things, but we need to go back to not creating democracies overseas that creates Islamic regimes and just focus on the goal of getting our enemies and bringing our troops home safely and as soon as possible.”

George W. Bush ran against nation-building in 2000 (and then-Stanford professor Condoleeza Rice wrote a piece in Foreign Affairs on the “national interest” that expressed similar views while advising then-Governor Bush’s campaign), but 9/11 changed the Bush administration’s calculus on that matter.

The war powers language is another instance of Republicans making sure Paul's supporters feel welcome at the convention, because Republicans need his supporters to vote for Romney in November instead of voting for the Libertarian ticket or staying home.
    They want us to feel so welcome they are cheating on every delegate contest to keep ours out.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Governm...n-Paul-Pleased
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Yep. And if anyone thinks they're going to follow that policy plank when it comes to making war with Iran or some other country, I have some beach front property to sell you in Kansas.

Because the Republicans have been known to keep their word...

The war powers language is another instance of Republicans making sure Paul's supporters feel welcome at the convention, because Republicans need his supporters to vote for Romney in November instead of voting for the Libertarian ticket or staying home.
    Bwahahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEagle View Post
    Bwahahahaha
    My thoughts as well haha
    "Power tends to confuse itself with virtue...conferring upon it a special responsibility for other nations—to make them richer and happier and wiser, to remake them, that is, in its own shining image. Power confuses itself with virtue and tends also to take itself for omnipotence. Once imbued with the idea of a mission, a great nation easily assumes that it has the means as well as the duty to do God's work." - William Fulbright

I am happy that Ron Paul is pleased. It is good for him that he thinks all his work has made a difference. I will stop there.

Quote Originally Posted by cajuncocoa View Post
    Yep. And if anyone thinks they're going to follow that policy plank when it comes to making war with Iran or some other country, I have some beach front property to sell you in Kansas.
    How much you selling it for? We are dealing with fine, trustworthy people.

Quote Originally Posted by TrishW View Post
    I am happy that Ron Paul is pleased. It is good for him that he thinks all his work has made a difference. I will stop there.
    Benton said 'we are pleased'.

The campaign web page also wrote up how great it is that the gold standard plank is in the platform.

Ron himself, on the other hand, called it 'appeasement'.
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by NIU Students for Liberty View Post
    Because the Republicans have been known to keep their word...

I didn't forget.
    "When a portion of wealth is transferred from the person who owns it—without his consent and without compensation, and whether by force or by fraud—to anyone who does not own it, then I say that property is violated; that an act of plunder is committed." - Bastiat : The Law

"nothing evil grows in alcohol" ~ @presence

"I mean can you imagine what it would be like if firemen acted like police officers? They would only go into a burning house only if there's a 100% chance they won't get any burns. I mean, you've got to fully protect thy self first." ~ juleswin

Quote Originally Posted by sailingaway View Post

The campaign web page also wrote up how great it is that the gold standard plank is in the platform.

Ron ain't no dummy, and that's one of the reasons that we like him
    "When a portion of wealth is transferred from the person who owns it—without his consent and without compensation, and whether by force or by fraud—to anyone who does not own it, then I say that property is violated; that an act of plunder is committed." - Bastiat : The Law

"I mean can you imagine what it would be like if firemen acted like police officers? They would only go into a burning house only if there's a 100% chance they won't get any burns. I mean, you've got to fully protect thy self first." ~ juleswin

Alot of this is meaningless we all know, but it shows their paying attention.... because we are growing and they are shrinking, and they know we are coming to take that party over in a few more cycles (not presidential cycles either).

Yeah that's the beauty of what you get with Ron. With all of the squabble around here all of a sudden about what "Ron Paul wants" it's nice to know that he's still an open source point of reference juuust in case we need to make sure the help understood him right.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 08-24-2012 at 09:11 PM.

Ron Paul is sharp. He's been swimming with these sharks for 30 years and he knows they will bite him as soon as he lets his guard down. Sure, he knows that the RNC isn't giving us every thing that we want, but it's better than nothing (which is what we got in 2008- remember?)

If we get our liberty back in increments, that's better than not getting it back at all...
    BEWARE THE CULT OF "GOVERNMENT"

Christian Anarchy - Our Only Hope For Liberty In Our Lifetime!
    Sonmi 451: Truth is singular. Its "versions" are mistruths.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:ChristianAnarchist

Use an internet archive site like
    THIS ONE
    to archive the article and create the link to the article content instead.

The platform is meaningless. It's not binding. It's a $#@!ing piece of paper that literally means JACK $#@!, as has been obvious for forever.
    School of Salamanca - School of Austrian Economics - Liberty, Private Property, Free-Markets, Voluntaryist, Agorist. le monde va de lui męme

"No man hath power over my rights and liberties, and I over no mans [sic]."

What, sir, is the use of a militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty.

www.mises.org
    www.antiwar.com
    An Arrow Against all Tyrants - Richard Overton vis. 1646 (Required reading!)

All of their promises are meaningless cuz they can, and will, change the rules! That's the message and it makes me TERRIFIED now of a Romney presidency. In a race this tight, our vote counts and I would love to see a debate and a coordinated effort. A couple days ago, a Huff Po a writer suggested we vote for GJ so they could see our numbers, but now I'm not so sure. Is it time yet...pretty clear we have zero chance. Major disappointment and even anger with the RNC...I don't see how anyone could support their corrupt private party.
    Last edited by No1butPaul; 08-24-2012 at 10:48 PM.
    "We live in an age where things change rather rapidly, whether politically or economically and certainly in foreign policy things change, so this whole ball game can change rather rapidly.” ― Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by No1butPaul View Post
    All of their promises are meaningless cuz they can, and will, change the rules! That's the message and it makes me TERRIFIED now of a Romney presidency. In a race this tight, our vote counts and I would love to see a debate and a coordinated effort. A couple days ago, a Huff Po a writer suggested we vote for GJ so they could see our numbers, but now I'm not so sure. Is it time yet...pretty clear we have zero chance. Major disappointment and even anger with the RNC...I don't see how anyone could support their corrupt private party.
    I don't understand your "but now I'm not so sure" part. Not sure about what?

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by cajuncocoa View Post
    + rep

The planks mean absolutely JACK $#@! !

The GOP hasn't followed theirs for years and neither have the Dems.
    One hundred senators, 435 congressmen, one President, and nine Supreme Court justices equates to 545 human beings out of the 300 million are directly, legally, morally, and individually responsible for the domestic problems that plague this country.
    Learn More at https://www.facebook.com/FireFiveFortyfive

Quote Originally Posted by jointhefightforfreedom View Post
    + rep

The planks mean absolutely JACK $#@! !

The GOP hasn't followed theirs for years and neither have the Dems.
    Probably will mean almost as much as the Constitution to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Austrian Econ Disciple View Post
    The platform is meaningless. It's not binding. It's a $#@!ing piece of paper that literally means JACK $#@!, as has been obvious for forever.
    BINGO...

These platform changes to appease Ron Paul and his supporters are nothing more than pandering for the moment in time. In the end, the platforms have never meant $#@!. Platforms have become shams.

This is also a clear example of the RNC co-opting our message to muddle it down. It keeps people stuck in the two party criminal system where nothing ever changes. It's all done by design. Get it?
    If Rand does not win the Republican nomination, he should buck the controlled two party system and run as an Independent for President in 2016 and give Americans a real option to vote for.

We are all born libertarians then something goes really wrong. Despite this truth, most people are still libertarians yet not know it.

It's not binding obviously but it's not a bad thing that it's becoming politically expedient to be a non-interventionist. A lot of these politicians aren't ideologues and go a long with whatever will keep them in power so controlling the debate is very important and you gotta show up to do that.

it is going to be part of the platform!
    i am pleased if dr. ron paul is pleased!

They want us to feel so welcome they are cheating on every delegate contest to keep ours out.
    Next time we have the neighbors over for dinner I'm going to follow the RNC's example and take a big poop right on their heads. (To make them feel welcome.)
    "Some supporters of the war use their religion to justify the war. Evidently, I’ve been reading from a different Bible." — Ron Paul
    “I'm supportive of all voluntary associations and people can call it whatever they want.” ― Ron Paul

My crazy whistling YouTube channel
    My crazy whistling music on iTunes

Quote Originally Posted by jkob View Post
    It's not binding obviously but it's not a bad thing that it's becoming politically expedient to be a non-interventionist. A lot of these politicians aren't ideologues and go a long with whatever will keep them in power so controlling the debate is very important and you gotta show up to do that.
    What jkob says needs to be emphasized.

Even though the platform is meaningless, it shows that politicians are beginning to recognize that interventionism is not good policy for keeping them in power. So they're going to start out with changes to the party platform and hope we go away. That's why we need to keep fighting on. We need to show that an interventionist foreign policy is going to cause politicians great political pain.

Quote Originally Posted by jkob View Post
    Do you honestly think that they're ever going to consider non-interventionism? They'll just criticize the Democrats in office for not managing foreign policy correctly like they did with Clinton and Obama. Then in order for the Republicans to sell their war/s of choice (once they take office), they will just adopt the Democrat strategy of changing the definition of war to make it sound less draconian.
    Last edited by NIU Students for Liberty; 08-25-2012 at 01:16 PM.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Well, now constitutionalists running for office can say, "See, I am supporting the official GOP platform as well as the Constitution".