Thread: Will the US gvmt ban masks next?

Will the US gvmt ban masks next?

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/...otests/261300/

… people arrested earlier, including … three women wearing masks.

Facebook posts about the planned march warned that wearing a mask in New York to anything but a masquerade is illegal but it turns out that's not entirely true. Wearing a mask by yourself is A-OK; do it in the company of others and you're actually loitering. According to New York Penal Law 240.35, "a person is guilty of loitering when he...being masked or in any manner disguised by unusual or unnatural attire or facial alteration, loiters, remains or congregates in a public place with other persons so masked or disguised..." The law has been in place since 1845, when farmers protesting wheat prices attacked farmers wearing Native American masks. It was later updated in 1965 to exempt "masquerades."

==

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012...sted-marseille
    Pussy Riot protesters arrested in Marseille
    French police detain Pussy Riot protesters for wearing balaclavas amid crackdown on face-coverings

Several people protesting peacefully in Marseille against the trial of the Russian punk band Pussy Riot were detained by police for wearing balaclavas, under France's controversial law that bans Muslim niqabs and all face-coverings from public places.
    About 30 demonstrators gathered outside the Russian consulate in the southern French city on Friday to protest against the trial of members of the feminist group famous for wearing bright dresses and colourful balaclavas.
    But police swooped on about seven wearing multicoloured face-masks in solidarity with the band, reported La Provence. Asked why the police had stopped the demonstrators who had been standing peacefully behind a banner about the power of poetry, a senior officer told the newspaper: "They are wearing balaclavas in a public space. It's illegal." He said the demonstrators would be questioned and a report written.
    In April 2011, Nicolas Sarkozy's government introduced a law banning women from wearing the niqab, or full face-veil, in public places. To circumvent accusations that the law singled out Muslims, the bill was officially called the law against covering one's face in public places.
    Special exemptions were created for motorcycle helmets or sports equipment such as fencing masks. There are also exemptions for people appearing in parades, celebrations or places of worship.
    The Marseille protesters – including poets, a book editor, and a former culture official – who had removed their masks at police request, were put in a riot van and driven to the nearest police station amid cries of "Absurd!" and "Ridiculous!". They were released that afternoon. Under the law, the case can be referred to a local judge who can hand down a €150 fine, a citizenship course (re-education camp/brainwashing) or both.
    ==
    Related: Russia increases fines for unauthorized protests/demonstrations/gatherings by 150 times. The fine is now ~$9,000 USD.

This also suggests that out pricing the permit fee for demonstrations might be another tactic we see the government using. We already have free speech zones where you can protest – so long as no one can see or hear you.

-t
    Last edited by tangent4ronpaul; 08-19-2012 at 01:05 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I have always preferred theatrical makeup to masks anyway.

Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    I have always preferred theatrical makeup to masks anyway.

I'm sure they will "fix" that loophole, as theatrical makeup can alter your appearance also...

-t

Empire falling ever more deeply into madness.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Protesting with masks is absolutely essential when protests cults like Scientology. Don't leave home without it!
    Statistics don't lie, people do.

well,, come to think about it,,,,,

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...I6bYywH614HIAw
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

You must spread some rep around first...

This is the second or third time I've run into this as to giving you rep - in the last 24 hours...

-t

Quote Originally Posted by tangent4ronpaul View Post
    You must spread some rep around first...

This is the second or third time I've run into this as to giving you rep - in the last 24 hours...

-t
    No worries. Got plenty (kind of humbling)
    I don't post for rep anyway.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Unwritten but ironclad exception: orthodox Muslim females

my university banned masks on campus, even during Halloween.

years ago

I am pretty sure there are lots of local ordinances all around the county that restrict the use of masks, especially on days other than Halloween.
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith and stuff View Post
    I am pretty sure there are lots of local ordinances all around the county that restrict the use of masks, especially on days other than Halloween.
    Depressing...

-t

Ideas,,
    http://www.mehron.com/Special_Effects_Products_s/84.htm
    http://www.fxwarehouse.info/
    http://www.fxwarehouse.info/mm5/merc...tegory_Code=OA
    http://www.chicagocostume.com/catego...s/?sort=newest

Eyes?
    http://www.theatricalmakeupsupplies.com/contacts.htm

I could show up as an old woman or a black man with equal ease.

This one scared small children (literally)

Perfect disguise for the RNC. I'd blend right in.
    Last edited by pcosmar; 08-19-2012 at 04:39 PM.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Buy gas masks, spare filters, and filter adapters NOW folks. It isn't illegal to buy them, and if you can't breathe, you can't work to pay into social security, pay off your mortgage, and worship the proper authorities like all of us know we should as honest taxpaying Americans.

Maxed out to ALL of Ron Paul's campaigns.

Listen to Liberty Tree Radio! ::

Pro-Liberty, Pro-Gun, Pro-Militia Radio 5 days a week, 10 LIVE HRS TALK RADIO PER DAY!

http://www.libertytreeradio.4mg.com

http://www.themicroeffect.com (8A - 11A EST daily)

http://www.live365.com/stations/edtheak47 (3 PM- 9 PM EST daily)

Organize, Arm, Equip, and Train as a Militia !

I guess they'll have to ban Halloween.
    Ron Paul let the cat out of the bag.

***Random Troll Analysis***Try Not to Engage With Trolls***
    itshappening: Incredibly naive with a hint of Alex Jonestown.
    compromise: Hilarious name states what it wants.
    AuH20: Self-righteous & insightful neocon. Smarter than you. Armed with a thesaurus.

***Honorable Mentions***
    Tpoints, Traditional Conservative, FreedomFanatic, TywinLannister, FreeHampshire, Giuliani was there on 911,
    RandRevolution

There is so much right on in this thread... The form doesn't give me enough rep giving to credit all of you...

+1 to all of you!

-t

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Tactical units wear them on missions, and we wear them on special holidays or occasions.

Wake up America.

Tune into RT - this is disgusting!

$#@! MONSANTO!

-t

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post

well,, come to think about it,,,,,

protesters should wear the same gear the police wear. lets see them ban that (i know they can, but it will be interesting to see it happen)

also, infrared facial recognition can see through masks. add IR LEDs under your mask if IR facial recognition is in use
    Last edited by Kelly.; 08-20-2012 at 11:37 AM.

dupe
    Last edited by Kelly.; 08-20-2012 at 11:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly. View Post
    protesters should wear the same gear the police wear. lets see them ban that (i know they can, but it will be interesting to see it happen)

also, infrared facial recognition can see through masks. add IR LEDs under your mask if IR facial recognition is in use
    Impersonating a police officer? Already illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronulus View Post
    Impersonating a police officer? Already illegal.
    i should have been more clear. protesters should wear the same masks the police wear.