Thread: I've given up on my local "R" party.

I've given up on my local "R" party.

I'm going to try something new.

The R's are too corrupt, and too entrenched to be swayed in my lifetime.

The D's haven't won an election in my county in decades, and don't even run candidates anymore for most positions. Especially after the state went to a top two election system. It's been R vs R in most contested general elections in the County for the last 8 years.

I think the L's have a real shot at replacing the D's as the primary opposition party with a real shot at winning. As a libertarian you could expect the full support of the Democrats (appx 30%) of the county. As well as a sizable portion of the Disaffected Conservative voters. We have a vibrant TeaParty movement that has not been co-opted by the Neocons, though they tried. JBS is strong here as well.

As such, I am inviting my fellow Ron Paul supporters to help me start looking to win L seats at local county elections immediately, and build toward State representatives and senators. Once the Libertarian party has a strong showing at the local and state level, only then can it be a real national contender. The L's fixation on the Presidency without concern for County Clerk, or City Council is it's major downfall as a party. I think it's time to change.

I am hosting a BBQ to discuss this plan on the Third Saturday in October which is the 20th. At that time I will be running an informal get together to get to know other Liberty activists, and also to make a plan to organize official Libertarian party meetings. The plan is to have a Libertarian win a county or city seat no later than the 2014 midterm elections.

Anyone here living in SW Washington is encouraged to come. All Washingtonians are welcome.
    CPT Jack. R. T.
    US Army Resigned - Iraq Vet.
    Level III MACP instructor, USYKA/WYKKO sensei
    Professional Hunter/Trapper/Country living survivalist.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'm of the opinion that it doesn't matter what political party you decide to use. Republican/Democrat/Libertarian/Constitution/etc, they're all just sports teams, and you're going to hit a different colored brick wall with each of them.

But if you're going to go third party anyway... I'd say start a new party. The Libertarian party lost its principles a long time ago, it has nothing to offer anymore.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by bxm042 View Post
    I'm of the opinion that it doesn't matter what political party you decide to use. Republican/Democrat/Libertarian/Constitutional/etc, they're all just sports teams, and you're going to hit a different colored brick wall with each of them.

But if you're going to go third party anyway... I'd say start a new party. The Libertarian party lost its principles a long time ago, it has nothing to offer anymore.
    It has name recognition. It has the principles that its WINNING candidates espouse. I intend to put forth WINNING candidates who understand and adhere to the NAP
    CPT Jack. R. T.

Quote Originally Posted by Icymudpuppy View Post
    It has name recognition.
    So did Billy the Kid, or The Black Death or HIV. Just saying...
    If its a strong R area, perhaps constitution party would be a better choice as a 3rd party? From what I've seen they appear to be more focused on trying to start winning the local elections.
    Last edited by specsaregood; 08-17-2012 at 10:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    If its a strong R area, perhaps constitution party would be a better choice as a 3rd party? From what I've seen they appear to be more focused on trying to start winning the local elections.
    How about Constitutional Libertarians. Constitution party is virtually unknown around here.
    CPT Jack. R. T.

Constitution party is virtually unknown around here.
    That is strange to me; as I've found most of the jbs'ers are more constitution party inclined. But if the Democract party is weak in your area, why not just try to take it and use it?

Here is the facebook invite.

http://www.facebook.com/events/125917184220815/

BBQ and Pot Luck to organize a liberty based party to replace the defunct Democrats and challenge the good-ol-boy republicans here in Lewis County. Goal is to organize an official party and begin working to get candidates elected to local offices such as clerks, council members, etc by 2014. If not bringing a Pot Luck Dish, please bring a donation for the BBQ. Excess donations will be added to the treasury to form the new official party which may be affiliated either with the Libertarian Party, or the Constitution party or some other. The guiding principle of this new party will be the non-aggression-principle http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-aggression_principle Please share this invite far and wide in SWW.

BE ADVISED. THIS MEET AND GREET WILL BE AN EXERCISE IN CIVIL DISOBEDIENCE AS IT IS A VIOLATION OF HEALTH CODES TO HOLD A POTLUCK THAT IS OPEN TO THE PUBLIC. IT IS ALSO A VIOLATION TO HOLD A BBQ FOR THE PUBLIC WITHOUT FOOD HANDLERS PERMITS AND WITHOUT A CERTIFIED BBQ. SALES AND EXCHANGE OF RAW MILK, RAW CIDER, AND OTHER GOVERNMENTALLY PROHIBITED ITEMS THAT ARE PART OF A WHOLESOME RURAL LIFESTYLE ARE ENCOURAGED. I WILL HAVE MY CIDER PRESS AVAILABLE FOR AN APPLE SQUEEZE, bring your apples. ALL PARTICIPANTS ARE EXPECTED TO STAND IN SOLIDARITY TO REFUSE ENTRY BY ANY PUBLIC HEALTH OR LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICIAL WITHOUT A WARRANT.
    Last edited by Icymudpuppy; 08-18-2012 at 11:38 AM.
    CPT Jack. R. T.

That is strange to me; as I've found most of the jbs'ers are more constitution party inclined. But if the Democract party is weak in your area, why not just try to take it and use it?
    The democrat party is not something I want to be affiliated with. Have you READ their platform? It reads the 10 planks of Marx's communist manifesto!

Besides, there is a good strong reason that they don't do well here.
    Last edited by Icymudpuppy; 08-18-2012 at 10:09 AM.
    CPT Jack. R. T.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I've been thinking about this actually. With the top two system we can take advantage of dominantly republican districts and do exactly what you just said. I don't live in SW Washington though, Ellensburg here.

The Constitution party is on the ballot in only like half the amount of states as the Libertarian party. They don't seem more focused on winning to me.

I'm part of the big R party in King County now...I'm so confused. I'm supposed to be working through the party apparatus right?
    "Freedom, then Pizza!" - Oklahoma State GOP Convention 5/11/2012

Quote Originally Posted by RabbitMan View Post
    I'm part of the big R party in King County now...I'm so confused. I'm supposed to be working through the party apparatus right?
    Yes, We're just discussing more options. How's the party in King county?

I agree with OP 100%. The LP must take advantage of the R-dominant areas.
    Inactive

List of Liberty-minded candidates for Congress in 2014
    Party: Libertarian (since registration) / Religion: none (Ignostic)

“If while on your way you meet no one your equal or better, steadily continue on your way alone. There is no fellowship with fools.”
    ― Dhammapada, v. 61

"Asking why there are no Libertarian countries is akin to asking why there are no Atheist Theocracies." - #AncapJackal

Quote Originally Posted by MrGoose View Post
    Yes, We're just discussing more options. How's the party in King county?
    The spawn of satan herself lives in King County and serves as the chairwoman. Lori Sotello.

The first alternative party meeting was a bust. I invited over 100 people, about 50 of which I know were RP supporters. Of all those invites, only 11 people RSVP'd. And then, only two people besides myself showed up. I even had venison burgers and homemade hard and sweet apple cider ready to go.

Kind of depressing.

Trying to decide on my next move.
    CPT Jack. R. T.

The first alternative party meeting was a bust. I invited over 100 people, about 50 of which I know were RP supporters. Of all those invites, only 11 people RSVP'd. And then, only two people besides myself showed up. I even had venison burgers and homemade hard and sweet apple cider ready to go.

Kind of depressing.

Trying to decide on my next move.

Wow. That's a real downer, and I hate to hear it.

I have to give you huge props and congratulations for at least making the effort. That puts you ahead of SO many others who simply don't care.

In one way, the numbers you ran down really don't surprise me, although they truly sadden me. But when compared to the voting population as a whole, it seems that most freedom/libertarian minded participation usually runs at between two to five percent, and sometimes less. After all, the next Libertarian Party candidate who clears two percent in a presidential election will be the FIRST Libertarian Party candidate to do so.

And even among those who lean "small-l" libertarian, a huge, tragic number get caught up in the entirely false meme that "you'll waste yer vote!" by voting for any third party candidate. It makes me want to tear my hair out, scream and kick things, not to mention the strong urge to bitchslap the next mouth-breathing idiot who claims a vote for anyone other than a Democrat or a Republican is a wasted vote.

Icy, I really, truly commend you for taking the time, effort and expense to do what you did. I hope you 'll find a way to succeed in your appeal, if you try again. Hell, I'll even pitch toward the cider and venison burger. We have to keep trying. We have to keep talking, explaining and persuading. It's either that, or roll over and die... and I've never been much good at that.

Hang tough, man.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    That's what they want you to do, they want you to leave the GOP. They don't want you discussing the federal reserve @ your local GOP meetings. They don't want you informing people inside the GOP about CISPA

Not for nothing, but the thoughts you have in your original post have been tried over and over and over for the past 40 years, and they have failed miserably. If you are able to assemble together a bunch of people to spend their time, effort and money trying to revive a failed third party movement, then couldn't those very same people use that time, effort and money to run for committee seats in the county GOP and change the party? Either way you are still putting yourself out there and trying to win elections.

I tried the take over the GOP thing. Not happening in my county. They are deeply entrenched. Good ol' boy club. It was made very clear that liberty is not welcome. We have a top two primary here, we have independents easily getting one of the two spots in neighboring counties. One even did it with a write in primary campaign.
    CPT Jack. R. T.

I tried the take over the GOP thing. Not happening in my county. They are deeply entrenched. Good ol' boy club. It was made very clear that liberty is not welcome. We have a top two primary here, we have independents easily getting one of the two spots in neighboring counties. One even did it with a write in primary campaign.
    Will there you go your in the right spot, make Liberty happen!

Here is the facebook invite.

http://www.facebook.com/events/125917184220815/

BBQ and Pot Luck to organize a liberty based party to replace the defunct Democrats and challenge the good-ol-boy republicans here in Lewis County. Goal is to organize an official party and begin working to get candidates elected to local offices such as clerks, council members, etc by 2014. If not bringing a Pot Luck Dish, please bring a donation for the BBQ. Excess donations will be added to the treasury to form the new official party which may be affiliated either with the Libertarian Party, or the Constitution party or some other. The guiding principle of this new party will be the non-aggression-principle http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-aggression_principle Please share this invite far and wide in SWW.

BE ADVISED. THIS MEET AND GREET WILL BE AN EXERCISE IN CIVIL DISOBEDIENCE AS IT IS A VIOLATION OF HEALTH CODES TO HOLD A POTLUCK THAT IS OPEN TO THE PUBLIC. IT IS ALSO A VIOLATION TO HOLD A BBQ FOR THE PUBLIC WITHOUT FOOD HANDLERS PERMITS AND WITHOUT A CERTIFIED BBQ. SALES AND EXCHANGE OF RAW MILK, RAW CIDER, AND OTHER GOVERNMENTALLY PROHIBITED ITEMS THAT ARE PART OF A WHOLESOME RURAL LIFESTYLE ARE ENCOURAGED. I WILL HAVE MY CIDER PRESS AVAILABLE FOR AN APPLE SQUEEZE, bring your apples. ALL PARTICIPANTS ARE EXPECTED TO STAND IN SOLIDARITY TO REFUSE ENTRY BY ANY PUBLIC HEALTH OR LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICIAL WITHOUT A WARRANT.
    I think you're onto something. Don't let the naysayers get you down muddy puppy.
    "Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
    —Charles Mackay

"god i fucking wanna rip his balls off and offer them to the gods"
    -Anonymous

It sometimes takes a few election cycles for someone new to win a seat. And honestly, as a write in candidate one's chances are slim. Add to that fact is that it takes a lot of personal effort to build one's reputation in the county or district so that people are willing to vote for said candidate. For those of you that have run for office, how well known and involved are you in your local community in political, civic and social areas? How many times did people run for office? How long have you been working at this?

I was involved in a county take over in the 60's and 70's and it did not happen over night. It took a lot of hard work on our parts to be able to win office. I ran and lost twice before I was able to win the seat, and the same was true for others who did the same.

Okay, trying again. Here's a link. If you're local, think of joining...

http://www.facebook.com/groups/276105789159186/
    CPT Jack. R. T.