Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Questionnaire: Good-bye Senator Lindsey Graham in 2014?

Questionnaire: Good-bye Senator Lindsey Graham in 2014?

I know that 2014 is a little bit of a long way from now...but with the primaries slowing down, I hope many of you will answer the following 5 questions. I just want to get a sense of how enthusiastic the movement is about getting rid of Senator Graham.

Please answer the following questions:

1) Do you believe that South Carolina needs to replace Senator Lindsey Graham (R-South Carolina) in 2014? (yes or no)

2) Would you support any candidate who is fiscally responsible (with at least an 80% rating from the Club for Growth (or a state affiliate)? (yes or no)

3) Name 3 people whose endorsements would make a difference to you? (list them---no explanations needed)

4) Name a senator or two (that's not Jim Demint) who you would like to see this nominee be in the mold of. (list them---no explanation needed)

5) If there was only one challenger to Lindsey Graham, would you support him/her fully...even if you may not agree with him/her 100%?

If you are a South Carolina voter, please add that to the comment. I hope many of you will answer this inquiry. Thank you for taking time away from your busy schedule to do this.

Spoa Steph

I posted this same questionnaire at RedState. Please answer. Thanks.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I don't buy into Club for Growth it is weak on national sovereignty and free markets as applied to trade agreements for one thing. I would support Davis, though.
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

Quote Originally Posted by sailingaway View Post
    I don't buy into Club for Growth it is weak on national sovereignty and free markets as applied to trade agreements for one thing. I would support Davis, though.
    Ditto.

I'd love to replace Graham. And I'm happy to support someone I don't agree with 100%. But what Club for Growth says about whoever that may be means little to me.

Tom Davis has a 100 from CfG. But anyway, would you support any of the more fiscally conservative congressmen even if they aren't in 100 percent agreement with you? What I am afraid of is that conservatives will run two different candidates that will then split the vote. People at RedState want to get rid of Graham as much as people here...but they are hoping Reps. Tim Scott, Jeff duncan, or one of the other congressmen will run.

Dumping Graham should be one of our highest priorities in 2014. As far as I know Davis is the only credible opponent, but I'd be willing to support almost anyone that challenges Graham. Is McCain up for reelection in 2014 also? Because he would be #2 on my $#@! list. And McConnell would be #3...possibly higher if Massie runs.

Quote Originally Posted by erowe1 View Post
    Ditto.

I'd love to replace Graham. And I'm happy to support someone I don't agree with 100%. But what Club for Growth says about whoever that may be means little to me.
    Sorry. I just copied and pasted from RedState. CfG supported justin Amash, Thomas massie, and rand Paul...just a little info.

Quote Originally Posted by brandon View Post
    Dumping Graham should be one of our highest priorities in 2014. As far as I know Davis is the only credible opponent, but I'd be willing to support almost anyone that challenges Graham. Is McCain up for reelection in 2014 also? Because he would be #2 on my $#@! list. And McConnell would be #3...possibly higher if Massie runs.
    Unfortunately no. He was reelected last year.

Quote Originally Posted by brandon View Post
    Tom Davis would be great. I'd also support Mark Sanford.

But if we're just talking about some S. Carolina congressman, who's on good terms with the party establishment, challenging Graham, I don't see what the point of us supporting them would be. Graham's bad. Most other Republicans, including those many Red Staters would back, are just about as bad.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoa View Post
    Tom Davis has a 100 from CfG. But anyway, would you support any of the more fiscally conservative congressmen even if they aren't in 100 percent agreement with you? What I am afraid of is that conservatives will run two different candidates that will then split the vote. People at RedState want to get rid of Graham as much as people here...but they are hoping Reps. Tim Scott, Jeff duncan, or one of the other congressmen will run.
    we are able to get together with other sorts of conservatives much more easily on lower races. NOt all of them, but some. that is because frankly there aren't that many candidates we like. When there is one, that is who our candidate will be, period.

Or to put it another way, sadly, we are aware there is only one Ron Paul.

But when he is in a race, there is noone else, for most of us.

And if we are working with others on candidates who are more theirs than ours, it would be appropriate for them to work with us on the handful of cases where we actually find one of ours. There is more cross over, at that level.

But to be even more clear, I believe Bachmann had 100% from CFG too, and I believe Ron was seen as 'too pure'. WE think that is nonsense.

and issues are not fungible. 90% crossover is irrelevant if the really key points are wrong.

Don't expect most of us to back someone who voted for NDAA Section 1021, whatever else they ever did. That Bachmann voted for that and the Patriot Act hurt her with us, not just at the presidential level. She may be the best pick in a specific race, but I don't see the nationwide movement getting behind her as we did in her last congressional election when Ron endorsed her.
    Last edited by sailingaway; 08-09-2012 at 09:11 PM.
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

Graham is a total piece of garbage, if we could get someone legitimate to run against him--I'd be psyched to just never see that ****** ever again. He's one of the worst.

(And I apologize for the language, but he is a warmongering, big-gov't, anti-freedom scumbag--he needs to go. )
    Well, I got Rand started on his campaign (just search around here to see). I advised Thomas Massie before he ran for Congress. I am currently advising 2 liberty campaigns for the state legislature. I ran the war-room and won Minnesota for Ron Paul a few weeks back. There are other things I'm probably forgetting.
    Yet I can't afford $200 to go to a seminar--Matt Collins

Sorry. I just copied and pasted from RedState. CfG supported justin Amash, Thomas massie, and rand Paul...just a little info.
    They've supported bunches of candidates over the years. Their support isn't sufficient evidence that someone is any good.

Quote Originally Posted by erowe1 View Post
    They've supported bunches of candidates over the years. Their support isn't sufficient evidence that someone is any good.
    Exactly. RLC and freedomworks do the same thing, supporting our more popular candidates after they catch on [although now that Rand and De Mint have a relationship they seemed a bit quicker this go round in Kentucky]. Cfg did NOT support Rand against Grayson of all twits, in his primary, either.

Ron is not corporatist, and that hurts him with CFG although their funding base is narrower than the Chamber, it is a similar dynamic, just a narrower business constituency imho.

Anyhow, if you just give up on trying to characterize our candidates and ask us about specific people, we can let you know.

Davis > Graham, no question.
    Last edited by sailingaway; 08-09-2012 at 09:26 PM.

Exactly. RLC and freedomworks do the same thing, supporting our more popular candidates after they catch on [although now that Rand and De Mint have a relationship they seemed a bit quicker this go round in Kentucky]. Cfg did NOT support Rand against Grayson of all twits, in his primary, either.

Ron is not corporatist, and that hurts him with CFG although their funding base is narrower than the Chamber, it is a similar dynamic, just a narrower business constituency imho.

Anyhow, if you just give up on trying to characterize our candidates and ask us about specific people, we can let you know.

Davis > Graham, no question.
    Ok. I will ask about specific people:
    1. Congressman Tim Scott
    2. Congressman Trey Gowdy
    3. Congressman Jeff Duncan
    4. Congressman Mick Mulvaney

They aren't perfect...they would probably be Jim Demint types. I will be posting an article later on urging compromise between the Liberty Movement and other Conservatives...otherwise RINOs will win. (example: In Indiana senate race, had conservatives and libertarians worked together...Senator Dan Coats would not be senator right now: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_..._Indiana,_2010)
    Last edited by Spoa; 08-10-2012 at 12:14 PM.

By the way, I'm posting a question to RedStaters on whether they are willing to support Tom Davis. I remember that the head (Erick Erickson) endorsed Senator Rand Paul, Kerry Bentivolio, and has said that Justin Amash is one of the best congressmen.

hxxp://www.redstate.com/spoasteph97/2012/08/09/questionnaire-good-bye-senator-lindsey-graham-in-2014/

Most seem to like Lindsey "SHUT UP! You don't get a lawyer!" Graham. I know I'm shocked. /

(The first commenter has an anti-RP FB page linked in his sig line. @@)

ETA: Is the RP Dem running against him again?
    Last edited by Lucille; 08-10-2012 at 12:22 PM.
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

Quote Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
    hxxp://www.redstate.com/spoasteph97/2012/08/09/questionnaire-good-bye-senator-lindsey-graham-in-2014/

Most seem to like Lindsey "SHUT UP! You don't get a lawyer!" Graham. I know I'm shocked. /

Your first comment isn't true. All of them would like to see Graham gone! I read all the comments, and most of them are simply saying that there are worst RINOs than him.

The commenter you are referring to has sparred with me sometimes, but he is a good conservative. He claims to have had a bad fight with a Ron Paul supporter and that's why he hates Ron Paul (sort of like Ghandi not liking Jesus because of Jesus' supporters...that doesn't make Ghandi a bad man.)

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Tom Davis or Mark Sanford would be great, and Mick Mulvaney would at least be someone-other-than-Graham but most other South Carolinian choices would simply inspire us to sit on our hands.
    Please consider donating to the Mises Caucus today. We are TAKING OVER the LP.

We have big plans including creating a program to bring libertarians like Maj Toure and Tom Woods to college campuses.

We have several LP Mises Caucus Members who won elected office in 2020 including multiple City Council seats.

Your recurring donation is what helps us to set these ideas into motion.

Donate today at www.TakeHumanAction.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lucille View Post

ETA: Is the RP Dem running against him again?
    Most people here are hoping that State Senator Tom Davis (a Ron Paul supporter) will primary Graham. I know I'm sounding partisan...but I can't trust most Democrats. Even Democrats that are on our side on audit the fed (Kucinich) still have loyalty to Pelosi (voted for her) and supported Obamacare, tax increases,federal education, stimulus, bailouts, etc.

Your first comment isn't true. All of them would like to see Graham gone! I read all the comments, and most of them are simply saying that there are worst RINOs than him.

The commenter you are referring to has sparred with me sometimes, but he is a good conservative. He claims to have had a bad fight with a Ron Paul supporter and that's why he hates Ron Paul (sort of like Ghandi not liking Jesus because of Jesus' supporters...that doesn't make Ghandi a bad man.)
    no, but it makes him pretty weak-minded.

Furthermore i cannot stand RedState. I read your article congratulating Akin and in the comment section all the folks were talking about Akin being "The Tea Party choice" just makes me sick.

We have big plans including creating a program to bring libertarians like Maj Toure and Tom Woods to college campuses.

We have several LP Mises Caucus Members who won elected office in 2020 including multiple City Council seats.

Ok. I will ask about specific people:
    1. Congressman Tim Scott
    2. Congressman Trey Gowdy
    3. Congressman Jeff Duncan
    4. Congressman Mick Mulvaney

They aren't perfect...they would probably be Jim Demint types. I will be posting an article later on urging compromise between the Liberty Movement and other Conservatives...otherwise RINOs will win. (example: In Indiana senate race, had conservatives and libertarians worked together...Senator Dan Coats would not be senator right now: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_..._Indiana,_2010)
    Who would they be running AGAINST? Because we'd support Davis against any of those guys I'm fairly sure but I have to check a couple of their records.

Quote Originally Posted by trey4sports View Post
    no, but it makes him pretty weak-minded.

Furthermore i cannot stand RedState. I read your article congratulating Akin and in the comment section all the folks were talking about Akin being "The Tea Party choice" just makes me sick.
    You have the right to disagree with me. I know you are probably thinking that I am a "sell-out", but the fact is that I view fairness as an important thing:

When our guys, the liberty guys, win the primary...the GOP establishment endorses them. (Look at my post on Kerry Bentivolio's page about Governor Snyder). I have accused people at RedState for refusing to help or assist John Brunner if he had won the primary. As I stated, I will not be accused of being a hypocrite. Also, remember that RedState and Madison Project endorsed Kerry Bentivolio. They helped gain attention for Rand Paul, and one of the chief posters supported Thomas Massie.

We get angry when the establishment refuses to help our guys...but it works both ways. Why should the establishment bother helping our guys if we don't respect theirs? I am a conservative-libertarian in the primary, but a Republican in the general election.

Most people here are hoping that State Senator Tom Davis (a Ron Paul supporter) will primary Graham. I know I'm sounding partisan...but I can't trust most Democrats. Even Democrats that are on our side on audit the fed (Kucinich) still have loyalty to Pelosi (voted for her) and supported Obamacare, tax increases,federal education, stimulus, bailouts, etc.
    the Ron Paul dem who opposed Graham had been a member of the GOP executive committee until just before the deadline for the Dem primary. There are Dems and Dems. In SC we wouldn't expect anyone but a conservative to win, I don't think.

Who would they be running AGAINST? Because we'd support Davis against any of those guys I'm fairly sure but I have to check a couple of their records.
    Let's say that they ran against Graham, and Davis decided to wait for 2016.

You have the right to disagree with me. I know you are probably thinking that I am a "sell-out", but the fact is that I view fairness as an important thing:

When our guys, the liberty guys, win the primary...the GOP establishment endorses them. (Look at my post on Kerry Bentivolio's page about Governor Snyder). I have accused people at RedState for refusing to help or assist John Brunner if he had won the primary. As I stated, I will not be accused of being a hypocrite. Also, remember that RedState and Madison Project endorsed Kerry Bentivolio. They helped gain attention for Rand Paul, and one of the chief posters supported Thomas Massie.

We get angry when the establishment refuses to help our guys...but it works both ways. Why should the establishment bother helping our guys if we don't respect theirs? I am a conservative-libertarian in the primary, but a Republican in the general election.
    They are going to have to get over it if they have putrid candidates. Sometimes we support them for congressional control etc, but if the candidate is BAD by our lights... I didn't see them supporting John Dennis at ALL in SF despite all their language that they wanted to 'defeat Pelosi'. In Ca they'd call and ask for money to 'defeat pelosi' and NONE went to Dennis's campaign even though he won the primary. It went to other Republican races. We've seen what they do and fair is not the word.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.

no no, i'm not mad that you wrote the article. I'm angry about the comments below the article stating how great Akin is.

They are going to have to get over it if they have putrid candidates. Sometimes we support them for congressional control etc, but if the candidate is BAD by our lights... I didn't see them supporting John Dennis at ALL in SF despite all their language that they wanted to 'defeat Pelosi'. In Ca they'd call and ask for money to 'defeat pelosi' and NONE went to Dennis's campaign even though he won the primary. It went to other Republican races. We've seen what they do and fair is not the word.
    Understand that the California GOP is right now a mess: http://www.politico.com/blogs/charli...se-129801.html

Do I think it's fair that they are refusing to help John Dennis? Not really. But understand what district he is running in: it voted for President Obama 84-13%.
    I would be interested in learning what "other Republican races" they sent the money to. If it was to candidates that were in the same position as John Dennis, I will be sending the NRCC an e-mail right away. If it was to races that the GOP has a better chance of winning though, I would have a difficult time scolding them.

Quote Originally Posted by trey4sports View Post
    Tom Davis or Mark Sanford would be great, and Mick Mulvaney would at least be someone-other-than-Graham but most other South Carolinian choices would simply inspire us to sit on our hands.
    It will have to be Tom Davis or Mick Mulvaney. Mark Sanford is a good leader, but there will be attacks from Graham that Sanford left his job without informing the people. South Carolina has a lot of evangelicals who would be unable to forgive Sanford for cheating on his wife. You may not think that's fair...but Graham will attack dirty. We would have a better chance with Davis than with Sanford.

Did you all know that Tom Davis was the ONLY STATE SENATOR to endorse Nikki Haley??? I think she would endorse him if he ran. May not make a difference for him with the liberty movement, but conservatives would get very pumped about him if he gets her endorsement.

Understand that the California GOP is right now a mess: http://www.politico.com/blogs/charli...se-129801.html

Do I think it's fair that they are refusing to help John Dennis? Not really. But understand what district he is running in: it voted for President Obama 84-13%.
    I would be interested in learning what "other Republican races" they sent the money to. If it was to candidates that were in the same position as John Dennis, I will be sending the NRCC an e-mail right away. If it was to races that the GOP has a better chance of winning though, I would have a difficult time scolding them.
    I can't fathom why any constitutionalist conservatives or other small government proponents would ever donate any money to the NRCC, the RNC, or the NRSC. Of course they're not on our side. They never have been. Beating them in primaries is more important than beating Dems in general elections.

you're walking back it being fair, however. We don't consider their better chances interchangable with our guys who won their primaries, and they use THAT RACE as bait for the money.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast