Thread: 83 million Facebook accounts are fakes and dupes

83 million Facebook accounts are fakes and dupes

I wonder how many of Mitt Romneys Likes will disapear if they delete these?

http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/02/tech/s...html?hpt=hp_c1

(CNN) -- If you're using a fake name on your Facebook account, maintaining a personal profile for your beloved pet or have a second profile you use just for logging in to other sites, you have one of the 83.09 million fake accounts Facebook wants to disable.

In an updated regulatory filing released Wednesday, the social media company said that 8.7 percent of its 955 million monthly active users worldwide are actually duplicate or false accounts.

"On Facebook we have a really large commitment in general to finding and disabling false accounts," Facebook's chief security officer Joe Sullivan told CNN in a recent interview. "Our entire platform is based on people using their real identities."

Facebook inspires status envy

So what are those 83 million undesired accounts doing? They're a mixture of innocent and malicious, and Facebook has divvied them up into three categories: duplicate accounts, misclassified accounts and "undesirable" accounts.

Duplicate accounts make up 4.8% (45.8 million) of Facebook's total active member tally. According to the network's terms of service, users are not allowed to have more than one Facebook personal account or make accounts on behalf of other people. Parents creating Facebook accounts for their young kids are violating two rules, since people under 13 are not allowed to have Facebook profiles.

Misclassified accounts are personal profiles that have been made for companies, groups or pets. Those types of profiles (22.9 million) are allowed on Facebook, but they need to be created as Pages. Facebook estimates that 2.4% of its active accounts are these non-human personal accounts. These accounts can be converted into approved pages without losing information. Pets such as Boo, the self-anointed "world's cutest dog," are typically classified as Public Figures.
    How $4 cows make Facebook millions
    Facebook not a 'short-term bet'

The third group is the smallest -- just 1.5% of all active accounts -- but most troublesome. There are 14.3 million undesirable accounts that Facebook believes have been created specifically for purposes that violate the companies terms, like spamming.

Face it, Facebook: Sometimes you suck

"We believe the percentage of accounts that are duplicate or false is meaningfully lower in developed markets such as the United States or Australia and higher in developing markets such as Indonesia and Turkey," the company said in the filing. The tallies were based on an internal sampling of accounts done by reviewers, and Facebook says the numbers may represent the actual number.

Facebook disables any false accounts it finds, and while it wipes all the information associated with the name from public view, it doesn't delete the account from its servers "for safety and security" reasons. The disabled account goes into a sort of Facebook limbo, where the owner of the account can't get their hands on any of the content -- photos, posts, videos -- not even by requesting a copy of the data, according to Facebook.

If Facebook does shut down your account, it says you can't create a new one without permission from the company.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I only have one facebook account with my real email, but with my last name modified to keep the rif-raf out. My friends can recognize it and that's all I want.

Will they delete my account? I don't really mind.

Facebook is one big data collection enterprise. If you ever screw up, they'll have everything and everyone to track you down.
    Statistics don't lie, people do.

As soon as they start deleting cat Facebook pages the'll get the wrath of Anonymous on their tail.
    Statistics don't lie, people do.

What , my fish does not have an account .

I never actually used it, but now I have deleted the account permanently. F**k you Facebook!

http://www.wikihow.com/Permanently-D...cebook-Account

There's 83 million cops on FedBook?

That's all?

I belong to the group 'Real people that have never had a Facebook profile'.

How big is that percentage ?

The only "Fakes" and Being "Duped" were FraudBook's IPO.

I wrote and Exposed the business model before the IPO, the joke of Ads, affiliates, click rates, etc. The over-hype sensationalism by Business Media and Fascist Corporate Media of the world, which never peeled back the layers of this scamming onion. I know of one other person that shorted this joke of a company, because we know of plenty alternative and a mutipilicity of fake accounts on this joke site. MySpace was the warning shot...

This is an example of the crap business reporting news on Fraudbook prior to IPO: http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/16342...-ipo-entrance/
    Last edited by HOLLYWOOD; 08-03-2012 at 10:59 AM.
    The American Dream, Wake Up People, This is our country! <===click

"All eyes are opened, or opening to the rights of man, let the annual return of this day(July 4th), forever refresh our recollections of these rights, and an undiminished devotion to them."
    Thomas Jefferson
    June 1826

Rock The World!
    USAF Veteran

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    I belong to the group 'Real people that have never had a Facebook profile'.

How big is that percentage ?
    Me too....

Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD View Post
    The only "Fakes" and Being "Duped" were FraudBook's IPO.

I wrote and Exposed the business model before the IPO, the joke of Ads, affiliates, click rates, etc. The over-hype sensationalism by Business Media and Fascist Corporate Media of the world, which never peeled back the layers of this scamming onion. I know of one other person that shorted this joke of a company.

This is an example of the crap business reporting news on Fraudbook prior to IPO: http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/16342...-ipo-entrance/
    Good for you.

I don't like anything this company does, from its creepy data sniffing, to turning information over to the cops, but that aside, the idea that this outfit was somehow worth +100 billion dollars was insanity.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Good for you.

I don't like anything this company does, from its creepy data sniffing, to turning information over to the cops, but that aside, the idea that this outfit was somehow worth +100 billion dollars was insanity.
    +a bunch. Would you believe our friends eduardo and kiwi actually used their REAL personal info on that site? They've both shut down their profiles recently for personal reasons (i.e. ed doesn't want his ex spying on him), but that data is still out there on teh interwebs!
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    +a bunch. Would you believe our friends eduardo and kiwi actually used their REAL personal info on that site? They've both shut down their profiles recently for personal reasons (i.e. ed doesn't want his ex spying on him), but that data is still out there on teh interwebs!
    SMH...

Having a good troll account can always come in handy. Facebook makes it a little more difficult but time is everything. People will add and try to talk to some pretty pictures, even when they never answer back.

Misclassified accounts are personal profiles that have been made for companies, groups or pets. Those types of profiles (22.9 million) are allowed on Facebook, but they need to be created as Pages. Facebook estimates that 2.4% of its active accounts are these non-human personal accounts. These accounts can be converted into approved pages without losing information.
    I wonder how many Ron Paul group accounts fall in this category.

"Facebook is the new Meetup"

Lets not do this again. It didn't work well.

-t

SMH...
    Ditto. It may even cost ed custody/visitation of his daughter if the wife's lawyer gets her way.
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Ditto. It may even cost ed custody/visitation of his daughter if the wife's lawyer gets her way.
    "On Facebook we have a really large commitment in general to finding and disabling false accounts," Facebook's chief security officer Joe Sullivan told CNN in a recent interview. "Our entire platform is based on people using their real identities."
    What the hell is wrong with people?

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'll be $#@!ed if I know, brother. I was shocked to find how much personal info people just give away on FB when I made my artists' page. It used to take some effort to get women to tell you these things...now you just have to look them up on FB.

Quote Originally Posted by robert9712000 View Post
    If Facebook does shut down your account, it says you can't create a new one without permission from the company.
    LOL! They want to make money off of their users by selling their information so they can't stop new accounts from being created without permission unless they start banning IP addresses. Facebook is a joke. If they dare start charging users to post on facebook over 75% of users would leave. There is nothing stopping people from creating an account with a real life person's name that doesn't have a facebook and spamming with that account.

When you exist as an entity to sell private information about people then don't be surprised when people use that network to destroy your company. Facebook is crashing and burning, and I love it!

Meh... this story is lame.

If they don't delete fake accounts they're damned. If they do delete fake accounts they're damned.

I can see the "FACEBOOK CENSORS RON PAUL ACCOUNTS!!!" threads spring up like crazy if they did delete accounts. How many fake Ron Paul supporter accounts are there? Lots, from my experience. Personally, I do not give a $#@!, but people would be bitching twice as loud if they did start deleting fake accounts.
    "The average person figures that the president tells the truth, the vice president tells the truth, the secretary of state tell the truth; and they don't. They don't. The founders understood that people would be flawed, that political leaders would not be the best of men … so they set forth the constitution. We don't follow the constitution in this country; had we done so in 2001 and 2002, the world would be a different place" - Karen Kwiatkowski

(after ONE year as a "member") User's Facebook Data Request Produces 1222 Pg PDF on CD

Facebook apparently collects more data about yourself and your activities than you may realize.

24-year-old Facebook user Max Schrems of Vienna, Austria recently sent a formal request to the social network and asked for a copy of every piece of personal information the site has collected on him since he created an account a year ago. According to ThreatPost, EU Directive 95/46/EC (PDF) grants each person the right to access data relating to him/her in order to verify the accuracy of that data and the lawfulness of how long it's being used. What he eventually received was a CD packing a 1,222 page collection in a single PDF file.

To Schrems' surprise, much of the data he discovered to be retained in Facebook's records were previously believed to be deleted. These records included the times when Schrems logged in and out of Facebook, the times and content of every message sent and received, and an "accounting of every person and thing he’s ever liked, posted, poked, friended or recorded." Facebook kept records of friend requests, photos, employment and relationship statuses, and former or alternative names and email addresses.

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Facebook...ews-13529.html

Index. These groups of data were disclosed by facebook (click for more details):
    http://europe-v-facebook.org/EN/Data...data_pool.html

00. Target
    00. Date Range
    -----------------
    01. About Me
    02. Account End Date
    03. Account Status History
    04. Address
    05. Alternate Name
    06. Applications
    07. Chat
    08. Checkins
    09. Connections
    10. Credit Cards
    11. Currency
    12. Current City

13. Date of Birth
    14. Education
    15. E-Mails
    16. Events
    17. Family
    18. Favourite Quotes
    19. Friend Requests
    20. Friends
    21. Gender
    22. Groups
    23. Hometown
    24. Last Location
    25. Linked Accounts
    26. Locale
    27. Logins

28. Machines
    29. Messages
    30. Minifeed
    31. Name
    32. Name Changes
    33. Networks
    34. Notes
    35. Notification Settings
    36. Notifications
    37. Password
    38. Phone Numbers
    39. Photos
    40. Physical Tokens
    41. Pokes
    42. Political Views

43. Privacy Settings
    44. Profile Blurb
    45. Realtime Activities
    46. Recent Activities
    47. Registration Date
    48. Relationship
    49. Religious Views
    50. Removed Friends
    51. Screen Names
    52. Shares
    53. Status Updates
    54. Vanity
    55. Wallposts
    56. Website
    57. Work

Note: Facebook is storing even more data categories. This is the (current) list of all data: PDF (485 KB)
    What facebook knows about you

A couple of months ago the Austrian law student Max Schrems asked facebook to send him all their data stored about him. All Europeans have a right to do this. Because facebook is based in Dublin, Ireland. It took a while and then facebook sent Max a CD with 1222 PDF files. - Read more at http://www.taz.de/facebook-en

Thanks Max Schrems!

Even if one doesn't use farcebook, most people are being tracked via LSO cookies! Which are *not* deleted with standard "cookie deleters", and contain Much Much more info.

Tracking: It's the New American Way!

It is probably a lot more than 83 million accounts that are fakes. I think it is more like 50% of all accounts are fake. Facebook wouldn't dare admit that though, there stock would really crash then.

I'll be $#@!ed if I know, brother. I was shocked to find how much personal info people just give away on FB when I made my artists' page. It used to take some effort to get women to tell you these things...now you just have to look them up on FB.

Hey, this is the Age of Popularity.

We've had an entire generation, now in their early twenties, who have grown up watching a parade of reality shows. Not famous? Why, if you're not famous, you're nobody! Notice the trend of late, how anyone - ANYONE - who has even remotely garnered any public attention goes after their own reality show? Bristol Palin? Rielle Hunter? Seriously??

I can't help but wonder if the "anyone can be a reality star" mentality is what drives people, at least in part, to post so much of themselves and their (formerly) private lives online.

Back in the good old days young aspiring starlets used to hang out in soda fountains waiting to get "discovered" by Hollywood. Today? Today the route to fame seems to be posting every facet of one's life onto Facebook and hoping those YouTube vids and sex tapes go viral..... and God help ya if you have less than a million Facebook friends and Twitter followers.

I noticed something funny about the rest of the Flock. Turns out they were all Artificial Sheep!

Good for you.

It could also be estimated taht $100 Billion is the COST of the Loss of Privacy to the People, $#@! the company.
    Last edited by DamianTV; 08-04-2012 at 03:43 AM.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.