Thread: Puerto Rico (a U.S territory) ranks 1st for firearms murders, U.S ranks 28th

Puerto Rico (a U.S territory) ranks 1st for firearms murders, U.S ranks 28th

The key facts are:

• The US has the highest gun ownership rate in the world - an average of 88 per 100 people. That puts it first in the world for gun ownership - and even the number two country, Yemen, has significantly fewer - 54.8 per 100 people
    • But the US does not have the worst firearm murder rate - that prize belongs to Honduras, El Salvador and Jamaica. In fact, the US is number 28, with a rate of 2.97 per 100,000 people
    Puerto Rico tops the world's table for firearms murders as a percentage of all homicides - 94.8%. It's followed by Sierra Leone in Africa and Saint Kitts and Nevis in the Caribbean

A Comment from the site:

StephenMorrill

22 July 2012 5:06PM
    Guardian pick

To say that there are 89 guns per 100 Americans is startling. But gun owners tend to own a LOT of guns. An American, I have three target pistols. The real question is: how many HOUSEHOLDS have guns present? I only use mine for shooting paper targets on a range (and the only guy who can consistently beat me is in London now, shooting in the Olympics. GO EMIL!)

I would happily give up my hobby if we could somehow do away with the U.S. Constitution's second amendment. It was a tragic error on the part of our founding fathers, who had no idea of the damage those few words would do to our nation. We're upset right now because a dozen people died in one fell swoop in Colorado? We routinely kill that many by lunch time, every day of the year. Ten thousand homicides a year. But we also accidentally shoot to death another 30,000 a year because so few people have any training in using such a lethal device. 40,000 a year is more than we lost in eight years in Vietnam. We fight our own civil war, endlessly.

List in link:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datab...st?INTCMP=SRCH
    Last edited by aGameOfThrones; 07-30-2012 at 06:16 AM.
    "IF GOD DIDN'T WANT TO HELP AMERICA, THEN WE WOULD HAVE Hillary Clinton"!!
    "let them search you,touch you,violate your Rights,just don't be a dick!"~ cdc482
    "For Wales. Why Richard, it profits a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world. But for Wales?"
    All my life I've been at the mercy of men just following orders... Never again!~Erik Lehnsherr
    There's nothing wrong with stopping people randomly, especially near bars, restaurants etc.~Velho

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    $#@! that guy who commented.
    "Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
    —Charles Mackay

"god i fucking wanna rip his balls off and offer them to the gods"
    -Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by kathy88 View Post
    $#@! that guy who commented.
    Maybe a campaign to get all federal gun control laws repealed should be started.
    Last edited by Noob; 07-30-2012 at 07:53 AM.