Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Windows 8 is a Catastrophe" - Gabe Newell

"Windows 8 is a Catastrophe" - Gabe Newell

http://www.bluesnews.com/s/134023/qu...he-gabe-newell

"The big problem that is holding back Linux is games. People don’t realize how critical games are in driving consumer purchasing behavior," says Valve's Gabe Newell as quoted on AllThingsD. "We want to make it as easy as possible for the 2,500 games on Steam to run on Linux as well. It’s a hedging strategy. I think Windows 8 is a catastrophe for everyone in the PC space. I think we’ll lose some of the top-tier PC/OEMs, who will exit the market. I think margins will be destroyed for a bunch of people. If that’s true, then it will be good to have alternatives to hedge against that eventuality."
    (Theres an embedded link that I didnt copy)

Well, good to know that computers are turning out to be just as $#@!ty as everything else in this country.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    steam on linux. i like.
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

maybe apple will save the day by creating a unix distro that somehow includes the technology to supplant directx..they are after all the oem that successfully developed/marketed a user friendly unix distro...
    Last edited by Petar; 07-25-2012 at 05:36 PM.

Will win 8 not run steam? I've run steam on linux before with limited success, but it's usually just a matter of time... Except god damn Netflix tho it works on virtualbox

I'm typing this from Windows 8 (consumer preview)

It does SUCK.

Most people can't get it started. You get a first screen and there's nothing you can do with your mouse to get to the log-in screen. Once you hit ESC, you can log in.

Then you get the METRO interface, with hundreds of tiled logos right in your face. Most people try to look for the Start button. One of the tiles is "desktop", so you go there.

Once on the Desktop, people typically look for the Start button. Again there is none, but worse, if you happen to move your mouse in the extreme lower left corner, a start mini window will come up. You move your mouse to click on it and it disappears. Try again and it disappears. I've seen people try it 12 times. Then you figure out you have to leave your mouse exactly in the extreme left hand corner and then you get the the METRO interface again.

Several utilities that supposedly play videos, open pictures, edit files are available. When you click on them the whole screen gets filled with that one icon and you won't have ANY clue on how to close it. Finally I found that if I moved my mouse to the extreme upper edge, a little hand came up and I could pull the whole thing down across the screen from top to bottom. That's how you close things.

After about 20 minutes, I wanted COMPLETELY out. (not I've been on some kind of computer or another for every day during the last 30 years) I could not figure out how to shut down Windows 8. I had to go on another computer, do a google search to find out how to do a shutdown.

I won't tell you it's even crazier than the above crap.

Finally, two things:

1) MS sent me an e-mail yesterday to find out if I wanted to try out the new Office 365 beta. I downloaded it only to find out it does not work on Windows 8!

2) At their last earnings report, MSFT reported their very first quarterly loss as a public company.

It's an American tragedy, but people have been screaming at them for at least 10 years to improve their quality.

Meanwhile, Apple has more cash savings than the US government has liquid cash to operate.
    Statistics don't lie, people do.

EDIT - Sorry, didn't see RonRules' review.
    Last edited by ShaneEnochs; 07-25-2012 at 06:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    god damn vipers, all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by RonRules View Post
    I'm typing this from Windows 8 (consumer preview)

It does SUCK.

Most people can't get it started. You get a first screen and there's nothing you can do with your mouse to get to the log-in screen. Once you hit ESC, you can log in.

Then you get the METRO interface, with hundreds of tiled logos right in your face. Most people try to look for the Start button. One of the tiles is "desktop", so you go there.

Once on the Desktop, people typically look for the Start button. Again there is none, but worse, if you happen to move your mouse in the extreme lower left corner, a start mini window will come up. You move your mouse to click on it and it disappears. Try again and it disappears. I've seen people try it 12 times. Then you figure out you have to leave your mouse exactly in the extreme left hand corner and then you get the the METRO interface again.

Several utilities that supposedly play videos, open pictures, edit files are available. When you click on them the whole screen gets filled with that one icon and you won't have ANY clue on how to close it. Finally I found that if I moved my mouse to the extreme upper edge, a little hand came up and I could pull the whole thing down across the screen from top to bottom. That's how you close things.

After about 20 minutes, I wanted COMPLETELY out. (not I've been on some kind of computer or another for every day during the last 30 years) I could not figure out how to shut down Windows 8. I had to go on another computer, do a google search to find out how to do a shutdown.

I won't tell you it's even crazier than the above crap.

Finally, two things:

1) MS sent me an e-mail yesterday to find out if I wanted to try out the new Office 365 beta. I downloaded it only to find out it does not work on Windows 8!

2) At their last earnings report, MSFT reported their very first quarterly loss as a public company.

It's an American tragedy, but people have been screaming at them for at least 10 years to improve their quality.

Meanwhile, Apple has more cash savings than the US government has liquid cash to operate.
    I've been rooting for the demise of microsoft for a while now...

I still run XP. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by ShaneEnochs View Post
    I don't understand why Win8 is a catastrophe...?
    Because its as limited in functionality as a spamvertizing non smart phone, not just counterintuitive, its anti-intuitive, unstable, incompatible, lets not even get started on privacy, and the exact opposite of what I want in an Operating System.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Will win 8 not run steam? I've run steam on linux before with limited success, but it's usually just a matter of time... Except god damn Netflix tho it works on virtualbox
    Unity 4 now compiles to LINUX. You will be seeing alot of ported games soon because all you have to do is reset the compiling target. They have relatively few bugs to work out.

Rev9
    Drain the swamp - BIG DOG
    http://mindreleaselabs.com/
    Seeking work on Apps, Games, Art based projects

pcgame

Last edited by pcgame; 08-04-2012 at 09:53 AM.

I really wish Microsoft wouldn't build horribly unintuitive interfaces and crash/virus-prone software. There really isn't a good alternative for the type of work I do - alternatives to MS Office are just not very robust, and MS Office on Apple does not run as well as it does on the native OS. (Can't say I've tried Linux.) Then there's the frustration of trying to VPN to a Microsoft machine from an Apple machine, which I've found to be nigh impossible.

Microsoft won't lose a broad share of the market simply because it's so ingrained into business processes at this point that it will take years to unwind those and to build new programs/processes around an alternative, despite the incompetency and inefficiency.
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulConventionWV View Post
    You're not making the claim that there's no objective best diet, are you?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Petar View Post
    I've been rooting for the demise of microsoft for a while now...
    I don't hate on microsoft, but windows 7 is its only decent OS.
    imagine Mac had won the desktop wars, we have one manufacturer surviving for each hardware component, and apple would decide who that was...
    they were/are a closed box system.
    the reason windows got a rep for a crashing piece of crap is because it was an open box system. anybody could make hardware that would run on windows, and windows made it available - plug and play. the 3rd party drivers caused system instability.
    don't forget that when dissing MS.
    Last edited by torchbearer; 07-25-2012 at 07:22 PM.
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

Quote Originally Posted by pcgame View Post
    I predict Apple will gain a larger market share.

i can see myself personally, using Ubuntu in the future
    see my previous post.

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    XP does not support DX11.

Quote Originally Posted by torchbearer View Post
    I don't hate on microsoft, but windows 7 is its only decent OS.
    Win2k Pro was pretty darn nice. Heck, I was just on a client's win2k server and its still humming along like a charm.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Win2k Pro was pretty darn nice. Heck, I was just on a client's win2k server and its still humming along like a charm.
    win2k was solid. my endorsement of win7 comes from a gamer perspective. but it is stable, it runs everything with grace. easy to repair when needed.

So...I'm guessing I should stick with Windows 7?

I use it to play WoW.. Nothing else.
    If I get a computer with better resources,, I will set it up on Linux.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by cstarace View Post
    So...I'm guessing I should stick with Windows 7?
    stick with it for as long as you can.
    no reason to get 8.

Same, but just for games.

Mainly use my Mac.
    Rand Paul 2016

Man, if Gabe Newell moves gamers over to linux it's all over for Microsoft. Seriously.

I almost liked XP and I am a "windoze gets in my way real bad kind of guy". Windows 7 brought my vehemence and distaste for the OS look and feel and WTF are these stupid dialog boxes trying to say back into stark focus. This is pure horrible and looks like the 1996 AOL interface. I think they are readying for a Surfaces OS, which this particular crap looks more suited for. A big table PC you slide things around like an overblown iPad.

Rev9

Quote Originally Posted by hammy View Post
    Man, if Gabe Newell moves gamers over to linux it's all over for Microsoft. Seriously.
    Games in the Unity game engine can be ported easily by simply switching platforms..but only for UBUNTU I think.. The others..not so easily. The Unity community is pretty big and getting bigger.. This will drive growth exponentially. I also saw a kickstarter project to bring the Unity Editor and compiler over to Linux.

Rev9

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Isn't it the rule to skip every other version of Windows?
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by hammy View Post
    I agree,
    The main reason i use windows is games.
    if it wasn't for gaming, i'd be a linux/open office user.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Isn't it the rule to skip every other version of Windows?
    basically. vista was win7 alpha build.
    win2k was solid, xp was solid, win95 was ok for what it was, but winNT 4 was better, win98 sucked, win98SE was ok, winME blew chunks.
    DOS 6.22 is my heart, win3.11 is why?
    winXP 64-bit is also a why at this point, but was cool a few years ago if you were using monster amount of ram.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolution9 View Post
    I almost liked XP and I am a "windoze gets in my way real bad kind of guy". Windows 7 brought my vehemence and distaste for the OS look and feel and WTF are these stupid dialog boxes trying to say back into stark focus. This is pure horrible and looks like the 1996 AOL interface. I think they are readying for a Surfaces OS, which this particular crap looks more suited for. A big table PC you slide things around like an overblown iPad.

Rev9
    I was thinking Windows 8 was designed for the Surface and Win8 phones. Surface has some good selling points- tablet/laptop hybrid which will be able to get with an intel cpu- making the device compatible with all your current windows desktop apps.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolution9 View Post

Rev9
    i'd definitely want to test an OS interface built by rev9.

Windows 7 64bit is all the OS I need.
    I run it on my media box 24/7, it has never crashed.
    I also run it on my gaming rig.

I went from 2kpro to windows 7.
    I skipped XP and vista..

Windows 8 is a tablet/ultrabook OS.. Don't let them fool ya into putting it on a desktop.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast