Thread: Internet tax on its way

Exclamation Internet tax on its way

Governor Haslam of Tennessee BEGS Congress to tax the Internet:

http://blogs.tennessean.com/politics...rnet-tax-bill/

TN Gov Haslam testifies before Congress on behalf of Internet tax bill
    Posted on July 24, 2012 by Chas Sisk

Gov. Bill Haslam testified before Congress this morning on behalf of a bill that would let states collect sales tax on Internet purchases.

“This is an issue of fairness,” Haslam said in prepared remarks released by his office. “Comparable businesses that sell the same things are not being treated the same. Most people I talk to understand that and agree that isn’t fair.”

The House Judiciary Committee is considering a bill that would clear up the 20-year-old Quill ruling, which said states can collect sales tax on catalog sales only if the vender is physically located within their borders. The rationale was that it would be too complicated for catalog retailers to calculate the sales tax in each jurisdiction where they sell goods.

The ruling was later applied to Internet retailers. But Haslam argues that computer software makes the thinking obsolete.

“But in the past two decades, technology has advanced more than almost anyone could have believed, and it is not only possible, but it is easy, for these businesses to collect the taxes owed just like local businesses with cash registers do.”

Haslam’s complete testimony follows:

Statement of Tennessee Gov. Bill Haslam
    U.S. House of Representatives Committee on the Judiciary Hearing

July 24, 2012

-As prepared-

Chairman Smith, Ranking Member Conyers and members of the committee, I am grateful to be here to testify on behalf of the National Governors Association. I believe I am uniquely positioned to be before you to talk on this issue today.

I come from a family that founded and operates a national retail business based in Tennessee. I have served as chief executive officer of Saks Direct, Saks Fifth Avenue’s online and catalog retailer. I was Mayor of Knoxville, a city that’s budget depends on property taxes from both businesses and residents. And now I’m Governor of a state that’s budget relies heavily on sales tax collections.

Let me be clear – I am a Republican Governor that does not believe in increasing taxes. Tennessee is a low tax state to begin with, and we’ve been able to cut taxes over the past two years. This discussion isn’t about raising taxes or adding new taxes. This is about states having the flexibility and authority to collect taxes that are already owed by their own in-state residents.

This discussion is also about leveling the playing field for local brick and mortar businesses in communities across Tennessee and across the country.

For example, I’ve heard Senator Alexander talk about the Nashville Boot Company where the owner tells about a customer who came into the store, tried on a pair of boots, asked the employees questions about the boots and then went home and ordered them online to keep from paying State sales tax, which we need to remember that state law already says the customer owes.

When you buy something at the Nashville Boot Company, or any other local store, the tax you owe is calculated with your purchase, they add it to your bill, and then send the taxes owed to the state for you.
    This is an issue of fairness. Comparable businesses that sell the same things are not being treated the same. Most people I talk to understand that and agree that isn’t fair.

So why is this happening today?

Because 20 years ago the Supreme Court said that States couldn’t require out-of-state catalogs or online businesses to collect sales tax because it was too complicated for them to calculate the sales tax in each state, much less in local communities. But in the past two decades, technology has advanced more than almost anyone could have believed, and it is not only possible, but it is easy, for these businesses to collect the taxes owed just like local businesses with cash registers do.

Current software covers over 12,000 state and local tax rates, and there are at least eight companies already competing to provide software that is affordable to even the smallest businesses.

But this isn’t only an issue that impacts business. As state budgets are stretched and state leaders are working to provide services to taxpayers at the lowest cost in the most efficient and effective way, we are talking about real dollars.

The current estimate of sales tax that goes uncollected each year in the United States is more than 20 billion dollars. In Tennessee, we believe that number to be 400 million dollars. That money could fund critical state programs that vulnerable citizens rely on; it could help cover federal mandates that states face; or it could go back to the taxpayers in the form of further tax relief.

We would certainly have healthy discussions in Tennessee about how to allocate those dollars, but that is for another time. My point today is that states should have the authority to collect that money, which is already owed, and to be able to make budgeting decisions that include those dollars.

We probably all know this intuitively – Internet shopping is a trend that is on the rise. When my daughter-in-law buys her laundry detergent online, that tells you something.

According to the U.S. Census Bureau, e-commerce represented 16.6 percent of retail sales in 2011, and online sales grew 16.1 percent compared to overall retail sales which grew 4.7 percent.

More and more people are doing their shopping online and are expected to spend more money.

According to Forrester Research, 25 million more Americans are expected to shop online in four years, and each shopper will spend an average of $530 more (up from $1,207 in 2012 to $1,738 in 2016) [Forrester Research: U.S. Online Retail Forecast, 2011 to 2016].

The argument that this is a small part of the economy doesn’t hold up.

This is the right time for Congress to act.

As a Governor, I realize in the coming years that Washington is going to be sending states and local governments less and less money as you tackle the nation’s debt. And as a Republican, I am proud of you for doing that. But if that is the case, then you should also allow each state to have the flexibility to make decisions about this issue and to collect taxes that are already owed.

This is a conversation about fairness. Fairness to states in allowing them to manage their own budgets, and fairness to local businesses that are part of the fabric of this country, are vital to our economy and our entrepreneurial identity.

Thank you.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Which states would collect the sales tax, the one where the internet store is or the one the person purchasing the item is in?
    If people were to pay sales tax on the items they purchase over to internet, to the state the seller is in, I don't have a big problem with it. But if those states where the purchaser lives want to collect that tax, I have a big problem with that.

Looks like the Governor of Iowa supports this too:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505250_1...-tax-proposal/
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

whow , a repub wanting to tax people more , i am shocked , truman was right , there's not a nickle difference between any of them ( d's or r's ) , except for RON PAUL . if anyone has been watching ebay stock its doing very good , i think a lot more people will be using ebay , stuff thats new will be sold at " new open box ".

but then again the hacks will start taxing all ebay sales someday.

about 40 years ago stupid Arizona started a sales tax on private party car sales if the price was over $1500 , that went over like a lead fart as $3000 cars were marked as sold for $1499 , it lasted a couple years.

i truly believe that this great country is done if ron paul is not the next POTUS , i honestly think he will not be replaced for a very long time.
    Last edited by ILUVRP; 07-25-2012 at 07:09 AM. Reason: wrong key

In TN you are supposed to declare to the state what you spent on items bought on the internet and submit payment to them.

We sell a couple grand in internet stuff a year. I can't imagine what it would take to file sales tax in 50 states. If they let the buyer on the honors system pay the tax they're going to get $0. The only way its going to happen is by requiring the sellers to collect and submit it.

Guess we'll take the open box used method.

They want the seller to collect the tax for the purchaser's state. They say its unfair because businesses in states with sales tax face unfair competition from none sales tax sales on the internet.

A democrat from Texas was opposed. I was watching part of the hearing and a Democrat form Texas was saying its a new tax. not enforcing an old one. his point was that people who buy their stuff on the internet would be paying a new tax because they didn't have to pay it in the past.

Thats what I'm saying. Take us a small seller on the net. Maybe $5-10k a year. How in the heck are we going to file 50 state sales tax returns? We've had to file other state sales tax returns from being an exibitor at various non resident state expos. It sucks. Each state is 100% different, some are litterly done by hand. Some have county and city tax and even muni tax. This is a nightmare thats been playing out in my mind for a long time. It would basically force us to go underground selling. Want the item, mail a check. We'll mail the item when it clears.

Tn's big gripe is we don't have an income tax but our sales tax is 9.75%. Well.....guess where we get big ticket items from??? The internet, free shipping and 10% off plus more competitors to keep price down.

[QUOTE=The Goat;4551568]They want the seller to collect the tax for the purchaser's state. They say its unfair because businesses in states with sales tax face unfair competition from none sales tax sales on the internet. [QUOTE]

There will be no collection from me , I refuse to participate .

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Which will work until the amazons of the world start or are required to submit 1099s or similar forcing you to report and pay. Its on the way.

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    There will be no collection from me , I refuse to participate .

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    Which states would collect the sales tax, the one where the internet store is or the one the person purchasing the item is in?
    If people were to pay sales tax on the items they purchase over to internet, to the state the seller is in, I don't have a big problem with it. But if those states where the purchaser lives want to collect that tax, I have a big problem with that.
    It's to where the buyer lives. That's what caused the accounting nightmare. If the tax was to where the seller lived then he could just do the same tax that he would have to do anyway for sales in state.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by jbauer View Post
    Which will work until the amazons of the world start or are required to submit 1099s or similar forcing you to report and pay. Its on the way.
    I meant I will no longer purchase on the net, anything , I already get tax avoidance with a couple of things by not doing so , my coin shop charges me no tax , he pays it , the other hobby I have , bordering state , I pay no tax , he pays it , I pay no tax on groceries , rarely eat out , $#@! tax .

Hah, those $#@!s better be prepared for a revolution if they really think they can tax the internet and not piss off 200,000,000 + people.Bloggers,gamers,small businesses,and people just wanting to read and write and shop online.

a few years ago a small company on ebay was selling $50 electric tools , drills and such , he was selling them for $1.00 , the shipping was $49.00.

ebay was not getting their cut , they kicked him off.

all states need the same tax money to operate , in az there is about 9% sales , a income tax , home taxes are low , a $150,000 home tax is about $1,000 .

i love it when states like fla/texas say we have no income tax , the same $150,000 home in texas or fla would have $3,000-4,000 tax , whow could it be all the retired people living in fla don't make enough to get enough tax money , so fla just taxes the hell out of their homes.

internet sales tax woulf be a nightmare. there is no law saying local business people losing sales to the internet sales can't sell their goods on the internet.

screw all taxes.

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    It's to where the buyer lives. That's what caused the accounting nightmare. If the tax was to where the seller lived then he could just do the same tax that he would have to do anyway for sales in state.
    Well, that is my objection. If there is going to be a tax, let it be in the sellers state. These greedy politicians are just upset they are not getting enough sales in their own state and thus want to tax the sales in other states. If the sales tax were from sales in their own state, they might make it easier to do business in their own state.

Hey, I have an idea, let's kill innovation and growth. This is all done in vain to protect box stores. When you implement laws like this it kills growth at the expense of others i.e. destroy the free market.
    If Rand does not win the Republican nomination, he should buck the controlled two party system and run as an Independent for President in 2016 and give Americans a real option to vote for.

We are all born libertarians then something goes really wrong. Despite this truth, most people are still libertarians yet not know it.

Come on, your coin shop guy "pays" the tax? Aka, its built into the system or you pay in cash and he doesn't report it.

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    I meant I will no longer purchase on the net, anything , I already get tax avoidance with a couple of things by not doing so , my coin shop charges me no tax , he pays it , the other hobby I have , bordering state , I pay no tax , he pays it , I pay no tax on groceries , rarely eat out , $#@! tax .

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Sounds like a good deal to me. Isn't North Dakota that has no sales tax? I'll buy a PO box there and away we'll go.

Well, that is my objection. If there is going to be a tax, let it be in the sellers state. These greedy politicians are just upset they are not getting enough sales in their own state and thus want to tax the sales in other states. If the sales tax were from sales in their own state, they might make it easier to do business in their own state.

Sounds like a good deal to me. Isn't North Dakota that has no sales tax? I'll buy a PO box there and away we'll go.
    There ya go. Seems like North Dakota wants to have more people do business with them.

Quote Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
    They want the seller to collect the tax for the purchaser's state. They say its unfair because businesses in states with sales tax face unfair competition from none sales tax sales on the internet.
    So instead of a state or two being intelligent and boasting to the business world "HEY COME HERE! WE WON'T HIT YOU WITH THIS TAX! AND WE'LL EVEN LOWER TAXES ON TRADITIONAL BUSINESS!" ...and experiencing an influx of new businesses and successful companies like Amazon moving in, I'm sure we'll just see governments fall in line and start stealing from internet users too.

There are multiple states that have no sales tax. I believe that North Dakota just took it a step further and tried to eliminate the property tax, which would have been amazing. Didn't pass, though.

Come on, your coin shop guy "pays" the tax? Aka, its built into the system or you pay in cash and he doesn't report it.
    We deal in Cash , he does pay his tax, but his is particulary honest ......

Except that as for our national Legislature, per our U.S. Constitution (A.I,S.9,C.5) states that: “No tax or duty shall be laid on articles exported from any state.”

And the states cannot without the consent of Congress, as per A.I,S.10,C.2-3:

“No state shall, without the consent of the Congress, lay any imposts or duties on imports or exports, except what may be absolutely necessary for executing it's inspection laws: and the net produce of all duties and imposts, laid by any state on imports or exports, shall be for the use of the treasury of the United States; and all such laws shall be subject to the revision and control of the Congress.”

“No state shall, without the consent of Congress, … enter into any agreement or compact with another state, …”

Now, while generally speaking imports and exports refers to trading internationally and not from state-to-state, the states are in-fact foreign and sovereign to one another, save for explicit Constitutional considerations.

If I were to drive to another state to make a purchase and then return to my state of residence with my new purchase, my home state has no legal right to tax me as I cross its borders as if I were otherwise reentering America from another nation; hence, neither should any state tax one of its residents for making an out of state purchase by telecommunications (phone or Internet) or by mail.

Congress seriously needs to put a stop to all of this utter nonsense. If the masses truly are demanding this as a new way to shop, i.e., online shopping, than businesses, both local and abroad need to adapt and then readapt or otherwise suck it up.
    Last edited by Weston White; 07-30-2012 at 04:08 AM.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding one’s self in the ranks of the insane.” — Marcus Aurelius

They’re not buying it. CNN, you dumb bastards!” — President Trump 2020

Consilio et Animis de Oppresso Liber

There ya go. Seems like North Dakota wants to have more people do business with them.
    IIRC North Dakota is also the best state to file a corporation in?
    "Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
    —Charles Mackay

"god i fucking wanna rip his balls off and offer them to the gods"
    -Anonymous

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Weston White View Post
    Except that as for our national Legislature, per our U.S. Constitution (A.I,S.9,C.5) states that: “No tax or duty shall be laid on articles exported from any state.”
    Pfth, they stopped following that years ago.

There will still be giant loopholes if this happens. Companies will incorporate in states without sales tax. Folks who live in those states will start passthrough operations for buyers who live in a high sales tax area. Use another currency. Some small businesses might not even comply. Who would enforce it? Would each state have to sue each respective business in order to ensure compliance?
    Turning the GOP into a party of liberty will not be a quick race, it will be a marathon.