Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Anti-Vaxer Dr. Whitaker gets pummeled into common sense by Science, Reason &Steven Novella

Anti-Vaxer Dr. Whitaker gets pummeled into common sense by Science, Reason &Steven Novella

This is a report about a debate at Freedom Fest in Las Vegas about 10 days ago.

Let me preface:

This forum, particularly this sub-forum us deeply infected with anti-science nonsense.

I am a scientific skeptic and have been all my life. It's time one of us stood up to a lot of this crap, particularly the anti-vaccination idiocy.

I believe in the non-aggression principle. If you don't vaccinate your kids, you are helping the viruses propagate, mutate and you may cause harm to MY kids. Vaccines will NOT hurt your kids. You're wrong about that.

To disregard the incredible gains that science and particularly medical science have made over the last century is to live life like a blind man in a strip club.

It's time you Anti-Vaxers look at the way things really are.

Most REAL scientists and doctors don't have time to deal with all the pseudo-science that's out there. So you Anti-Vaxers are free to spew your nonsense at various controlled events, with sympathetic audiences.

But this time my favorite medical professional, Steven Novella (a clinical neurologist, professor and Director of Neurology at Yale) happened to be in town! Novella also runs the most popular scientific podcast: "The Skeptics Guide to the Universe", which I have listened to every week for the last 5 years.

Novella took off his conference to go debate an Anti-Vaxer, Dr. Whitaker (who is a big fan of cancer quack Dr. Stanislaw Burzynski). Note that Novella did not even know the debate opponent prior to the debate.

He's how it rolled! (Please take the time to read this and for those of you on my side, you will savor every moment)

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/...t-freedomfest/

Some juicy excerpts:

How it came to be:
    "I turns out that the event was FreedomFest, a right-wing/Libertarian confab that happened to be going on at the same time as TAM up the road a piece on the Strip at Bally’s. Steve didn’t know who the antivaccinationist was going to be either, which made me marvel at him. I don’t know that I’d have the confidence agree to walk into the lion’s den with less than a day’s notice not even knowing who my opponent is. Steve was more than happy to invite me along. Clearly, this was was an opportunity that I couldn’t resist. So we met up with Michael Shermer, and it was from him that I learned that Steve’s opponent was to be Dr. Julian Whitaker."

BTW, I'm pals with Michael Shermer. I've known him for 15 years and we meet about every month at his Skeptic lectures.

"To my surprise, neither Steve nor Michael knew who Dr. Whitaker was. Being more than happy to give them some background on Dr. Whitaker, I told them. Regular readers here might remember that I’ve mentioned Dr. Whitaker before. First off, he’s a big fan of Dr. Stanislaw Burzynski, serving as the primary pro-Burzynski medical “expert” in that propagandistic paean to the brave maverick doctor, Burzynski. (movie from Burzynski at the link above)"

"Dr. Whitaker is also big among the “alternative medicine” crowd for his claims to be able to cure diabetes “naturally,” without food or drugs (of course!). In doing so, he claims that metformin doesn’t work, antibiotics don’t work (because, apparently, they don’t succeed in saving every diabetic foot) and that, in general, conventional medicine doesn’t work. At his Wellness Center, he treats patients with diabetes and heart disease with acupuncture, nutritional supplements, diet, hyperbaric oxygen, chelation therapy, and a wide variety of other questionable therapies. (Hyperbaric oxygen could work for diabetic feet, but chelation therapy is useless and dangerous and acupuncture is nothing more than placebo medicine)."

"[They were] passing out a newsletter, Dr. Whitaker’s Health & Healing: Your Definitive Guide to Wellness Medicine. It was the September 2011 issue, and, emblazoned across the page was a large headline Vaccinations: The Destruction of Our Country. This does not bode well, I thought, as I thumbed through the newsletter, which packed pretty much every major antivaccine trope into a single article.

"Dr. Whitaker started out with what was essentially the same old tropes, including confusing correlation with causation, harping about how autism prevalence has appeared to skyrocket since the 1980s and 1990s. He made the claim that almost no child was developmentally disabled 30 years ago but now one in 88 children are diagnosed as having an autism spectrum disorder. During this segment, he also went on about how chronic diseases are skyrocketing along with autism and that it must be the evil vaccines. OK, I added the “evil” part, but it was quite clear that Dr. Whitaker thinks that they are evil. He made that very clear."

"This was just the warmup. Steve, as you might imagine, easily demolished these arguments, pointing out that correlation does not equal causation. He also discussed how there have been several very large studies that controlled for relevant variables have failed to find even (as I like to put it) even a whiff of a hint of a correlation between vaccination and either autism prevalence or onset. He discussed how we as humans are hard-wired to infer causation from observed correlation, which makes it very understandable that people mistakenly conclude that vaccines cause autism? Why? Because, as we’ve discussed time and time again here, autism is often diagnosed in the age range when children receive a lot of vaccines, which means that by random chance alone we will often see diagnoses made in close temporal proximity to a round of vaccinations. Moreover, it was easy for Steve to point out that diagnostic criteria were broadened in the early 1990s, that schools started screening for autism, and that schools also got funding from the government to help autistic students. Again, Dr. Whitaker’s arguments were softball pitches, easily hit out of the ballpark as Prince Fielder hit balls out of the ballpark three days earlier in the pre-Allstar Game Home Run Derby. In essence, Dr. Whitaker made the same sort of ignorant arguments that Dr. Jay Gordon regularly makes, as exemplified in the comments after this excellent post by Emily Willingham why the “autism epidemic” is no epidemic at all."

"It was at this point that Dr. Whitaker lived up to the name of Penn Jillette’s Friday night party at TAM: He brought the stupid. Oh, man, did he bring the stupid! I’m sorry. I know that we’re not supposed to be quite so harsh here on SBM, but it’s been a long time since I’ve seen such a glaring example of mathematic, statistical, and scientific illiteracy. First, he stated unequivocally that he thought that vaccines were the primary cause of autism, scoffing at the idea that it was primarily genetic in nature or that vaccines were not causing it. As bad as that was, worse was to come, and it did when Dr. Whitaker showed this graph (sorry for the poor quality; the room was dark and all I had was my iPhone):"

I want you to sit back for a minute and drink in the utter silliness of this graph, the utter lack of science, the utter nonsense. It’s been a long time since I’ve seen its like. I’m sure many of you can figure out what’s wrong with it on your own, but my duty as blogger demands that I explain, and I’ll give it exactly the time it deserves. Take a look. Notice how Dr. Whitaker extrapolates from a small dataset to produce curves that go right up to 100/100, or 100%. Steve’s jaw (and mine and, I daresay, Michael Shermer’s jaws) dropped in astonishment. That’s right. Dr. Whitaker produced a graph that predicted that by the year 2032 all boys will be diagnosed with an ASD and that by 2041 all girls will also have autism. I kid you not. Lest you think that this wasn’t Dr. Whitaker’s intention, that he didn’t know the implications of his extrapolation, I will quote from the relevant section of Dr. Whitaker’s newsletter discussing the graph:

"To cap it off, Dr. Whitaker scaled the Y-axis to go up to 120. This was so bad that I almost felt sorry for Dr. Whitaker. When Dr. Novella explained why these graphs were so silly, the audience “got it” instantly, and it was at that point that Dr. Whitaker began to lose the audience."

"We didn’t pull any punches, either, asking where he got the data, how he generated the data, what mathematical model he used to produce the graph, how he fitted the curve, how he could justify extrapolating so far from such a limited data set, how he decided what curve to fit, and how he can justify a curve that goes to 100% when there is virtually no condition that 100% of the population will suffer from except for (eventually) death. His answers were—shall we say?—not exactly convincing. "

" It was actually rather painful to watch, in the way that it’s painful to watch one baseball team get pummeled by 12 runs, even when it’s a baseball team I really detest, like the New York Yankees. However, there was no “mercy rule” in debate. Basically, Dr. Whitaker trotted out a number of antivaccine “greatest hits,” and Steve pummeled him for it. For instance, Dr. Whitaker showed this graph:

"Yes, this graph is yet another example of one of the oldest and most deceptive antivaccine tropes, one that I like to call the “vaccines didn’t save us” gambit. Basically, this intellectually dishonest—downright deceptive, actually—tactic involves pointing out that mortality was falling from a given infectious disease before a vaccine for it was introduced. In this case, it was measles and a few other diseases. The implication that antivaccinationists want people to draw is that hygiene, sanitation, and the like were the “real” causes of the decrease. The long version of the rebuttal this gambit is here. The short version is that disease incidence does not equal mortality and that measles incidence plummeted after the introduction of the vaccine. The reason mortality was falling before the vaccine was for other reasons. Medical care was getting better, and a smaller percentage of people who got the disease died from it."

"I will finish by pointing out that it’s one thing for an antivaccine “party” like the Canary Party to link up with a local Tea Party organization, as Kent Heckenlively crowed about recently. It’s quite another thing when a national meeting in which many of the luminaries of conservatism, libertarianism, and the Tea Party movement go to pow-wow together allows such rank antivaccine nonsense a prominent place in its program, complete with a pseudo-”debate” and two screenings of a movie that is nothing more than rank antivaccine propaganda disguised as a “tell both sides”-style “balanced” documentary."

Read the rest at the link:
    http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/...t-freedomfest/
    Statistics don't lie, people do.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Bull$#@!. You cannot subjugate other children because of your irrational fears of a virus. You are shilling for the pharmaciders and trying to lay out the smoke screen for when children damaged by vaccines parents have their rightful day in court to collect compensation for the damage they have intentionally inflicted for profit.. And the science is correct on vaccines being harmful in very many cases.

Helping correct the damage of the anti-science faction?? heh.. Yer a frikkin' hoot and a holler pal.

Rev9
    Drain the swamp - BIG DOG
    http://mindreleaselabs.com/
    Seeking work on Apps, Games, Art based projects

Quote Originally Posted by Revolution9 View Post
    You are shilling for the pharmaciders and trying to lay out the smoke screen for when children damaged by vaccines parents have their rightful day in court to collect compensation for the damage they have intentionally inflicted for profit.. And the science is correct on vaccines being harmful in very many cases.
    Pharmaceutical companies HATE the vaccine business. There's no money in it and it's got all the risks of exposure to lawsuits from wacko anti-vaxers (congress changed that, in part). You may remember that at one point all pharmaceutical were getting out of the business. Read the article, it explains why.

Quote Originally Posted by RonRules View Post
    Pharmaceutical companies HATE the vaccine business. There's no money in it and it's got all the risks of exposure to lawsuits from wacko anti-vaxers (congress changed that, in part). You may remember that at one point all pharmaceutical were getting out of the business. Read the article, it explains why.

LOL!

Vaccine sales are excpected to double, from $19 billion last year to $39 billion in 2013.
    http://www.thebetterhealthstore.com/...rofits_07.html
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Chester Copperpot

OP makes no sense...

If your kids are vaccinated and mine are not.. and my kids get sick, how do they pose a health risk to your kids???

If your kids are vaccinated then they should be protected according to you right???

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    LOL!

Vaccine sales are excpected to double, from $19 billion last year to $39 billion in 2013.
    http://www.thebetterhealthstore.com/...rofits_07.html
    I was expecting you to show up soon. You beat me to it. I was going to put a timer in the thread and making bets to see how long you would take to show up.

The issue is PROFITS, not sales. Flu shots are $20 (or so). There is no PROFIT in flu shots.

Show me your data source for the above numbers! (not from some BS alt med newsletter: thebetterhealthstore.com)

Here are the most profitable drugs:
    Lipitor cholesterol Pfizer $5,329,000,000
    Zyprexa antipsychotic Eli Lily $2,496,000,000
    Levaquin antibiotics Johnson & Johnson $1,312,000,000
    Concerta ADHD/ADD Johnson & Johnson $929,000,000
    Protonix antacid Pfizer $690,000,000
    Plavix anti-platelet Bristol-Myers Squibb /
    Sanofi-Aventis $6,154,000,000
    Seroquel antipsychotic AstraZeneca $3,747,000,000
    Singulair asthma Merck $3,224,000,000
    Actos type 2 diabetes Takeda $3,351,000,000
    Enbrel arthritis Amgen $3,304,000,000

Data Source: http://www.dailyfinance.com/2011/02/...tection-ready/

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Mitrosky View Post
    OP makes no sense...

If your kids are vaccinated and mine are not.. and my kids get sick, how do they pose a health risk to your kids???

If your kids are vaccinated then they should be protected according to you right???
    Learn about mutations.

Viruses mutate at least on a yearly basis, which is why the elderly to take a new flu shot every year.

Even if vaccinated, viruses mutate and the vaccine is no longer effective.

If EVERYONE is vaccinated, the virus is gone. That's why.

pretty much everything you wrote is wrong.. I'll leave it at that. I am sure you cannot be convinced otherwise.

good luck forcing those of us who are informed enough to see through this ridiculousness into injecting poison into the veins of those we are responsible to protect.
    The ultimate minority is the individual. Protect the individual from Democracy and you will protect all groups of individuals
    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual. - Thomas Jefferson
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

- Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotin View Post
    pretty much everything you wrote is wrong..
    Show me line by line where I'm wrong, please.

While you're at it, please show where Steven Novella is wrong.

Also, why is polio completely irradiated in this country?

It's because EVERYBODY got vaccinated.

vax

I think the evidence is clear that properly developed and manufactured vaccines can work very well indeed. I have no problem with them. (I find it interesting that they rely on homeopathic principles, but that is OT).

But I have a BIG, BIG problem with anyone trying to use force to make another person or a child take the vaccine.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

Quote Originally Posted by Acala View Post
    (I find it interesting that they rely on homeopathic principles, but that is OT).
    ABSOLUTELY NOT!

Man, this is going to be a long day!

Even if you're on my side, I won't let you get away with ANY crap!

Let Randi explain you Homeopathy:

Show me line by line where I'm wrong, please.

While you're at it, please show where Steven Novella is wrong.

Also, why is polio completely irradiated in this country?

It's because EVERYBODY got vaccinated.

It was eradicated because of better sanitation and hygiene--that's why.

I have a friend of mine who is 56 years old, and has NEVER had one vaccine. She is healthy as a horse!
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by Acala View Post
    I think the evidence is clear that properly developed and manufactured vaccines can work very well indeed. I have no problem with them. (I find it interesting that they rely on homeopathic principles, but that is OT).

But I have a BIG, BIG problem with anyone trying to use force to make another person or a child take the vaccine.
    This.

But the OP has a point... once herd immunity is compromised we can all find ourselves at risk.
    It's just an opinion... man...

No.

Please read the article.

This thread is gonna be good.
    Knowledge will forever govern ignorance; and a people who mean to be their own governors must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives. -James Madison

I believe in the non-aggression principle. If you don't vaccinate your kids, you are helping the viruses propagate, mutate and you may cause harm to MY kids.
    Meh - I don't think forcing other people to vaccinate their kids is non-aggressive. And I'm not an anti-vaxxer. My kids had their shots right on schedule. So I'm just asking - if your kids are vaccinated, how can non-vaccinated kids hurt yours?

If the disease is mutating, it's to get past the vaccines.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    If the disease is mutating, it's to get past the vaccines.
    Looks like you just answered your own question.

Sometimes purchases are mandatory. For example car insurance in California. It's mandatory and not too many people complain.

I presume some people who are rich enough to self insure (like Steve Jobs ... oops, not him, he's dead of Alt Med nonsense) or like Warren Buffet.

I don't have a problem the car insurance mandate; it is a good thing.

Vaccination is even more needed and should be mandatory, because it affects others.

If you don't want to get an asthmatic respirator for your kid, then fine, let him die by asphyxiation. It won't affect my kid. That's why respirators are not mandatory.

Kids without vaccination, at least should not be allowed to go to public schools. And religious exemptions should not be allowed either.
    Last edited by RonRules; 07-22-2012 at 06:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Mitrosky View Post
    OP makes no sense...

Ker-smack. Right from the heart of pure logic.

Good one.

Rev9

I believe in the non-aggression principle. If you don't vaccinate your kids, you are helping the viruses propagate, mutate and you may cause harm to MY kids. Vaccines will NOT hurt your kids. You're wrong about that.
    So to back up your non-aggression you would use what method to force compliance?
    Last edited by Origanalist; 07-22-2012 at 06:45 PM.
    "The Patriarch"

I was expecting you to show up soon. You beat me to it. I was going to put a timer in the thread and making bets to see how long you would take to show up.

The issue is PROFITS, not sales. Flu shots are $20 (or so). There is no PROFIT in flu shots.

Show me your data source for the above numbers! (not from some BS alt med newsletter: thebetterhealthstore.com)

Here are the most profitable drugs:
    Lipitor cholesterol Pfizer $5,329,000,000
    Zyprexa antipsychotic Eli Lily $2,496,000,000
    Levaquin antibiotics Johnson & Johnson $1,312,000,000
    Concerta ADHD/ADD Johnson & Johnson $929,000,000
    Protonix antacid Pfizer $690,000,000
    Plavix anti-platelet Bristol-Myers Squibb /
    Sanofi-Aventis $6,154,000,000
    Seroquel antipsychotic AstraZeneca $3,747,000,000
    Singulair asthma Merck $3,224,000,000
    Actos type 2 diabetes Takeda $3,351,000,000
    Enbrel arthritis Amgen $3,304,000,000

Data Source: http://www.dailyfinance.com/2011/02/...tection-ready/
    You missed the point of that article. The profit will still be there-only it will be the makers of generics getting it. The article is quite clear that developers make good profits during the life of a patent. If there's no profit in the pharma business, noone would get into it. (unless they can get federal subsidies, of course)
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

There certainly is in the lingering after effects. So.. I will bet you think boys should get the cervical cancer shot too..when they don't frikkin' have a cervix fer chrissakes.

Rev9

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    So to back up your non-aggression you would use what method to force compliance?
    Don't let them in public schools. It's pretty much like that in most states, but the're a religious exemption. Those should be kicked out for stupidity as well.

I can produce a similar chart for every single disease we're talking about. When the vaccine is introduced, the occurrance in the population drops immediately. Every time.

I have a friend of mine who is 56 years old, and has NEVER had one vaccine. She is healthy as a horse!
    I have tons of friends who were vaccinated, and none of them got autism. They are also quite healthy.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Don't let them in public schools. It's pretty much like that in most states, but the're a religious exemption. Those should be kicked out for stupidity as well.
    I'd rather do away with public schools, but in the interim the solution is actually making the higher standards apply to private schools. If you don't want your beloved urchins exposed to the untouchables, then by all means - keep them away.
    Last edited by angelatc; 07-22-2012 at 07:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    You missed the point of that article. The profit will still be there-only it will be the makers of generics getting it. The article is quite clear that developers make good profits during the life of a patent. If there's no profit in the pharma business, noone would get into it. (unless they can get federal subsidies, of course)
    The point was to respond to the argument that vaccine providers make enormous profits. They don't.

The're plenty of profits in pharmaceuticals, like the ones I listed, but not by making vaccines.

BTW, there's really NOT that much profit in pharma compared to the tsunami of cash that Apple and Google are raking in. If profits is your problem, bitch about Apple. They sell iPhones for 5X what it costs them.

I took a totally random Big Pharma: Glaxo Smity Kline. I have no idea if they are the biggest or most profitable.
    http://finance.yahoo.com/q/ks?s=GSK+Key+Statistics

Profitability
    Profit Margin (ttm): 18.44%
    Operating Margin (ttm): 30.71%

Then I compared with Apple:
    Profitability
    Profit Margin (ttm): 27.13%
    Operating Margin (ttm): 35.69%

There's plenty of other financial statistics, but here's the point NOBODY makes: Big Pharma is in business to make money and in the case of GSK, their financials are about average with most large companies out there.

Go find another reason than profits to complain about Big Pharma.
    Last edited by RonRules; 07-22-2012 at 07:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    The polio vaccine is public domain, and yet it was mass produced and distributed to everybody regardless of ability to pay.

I am a scientific skeptic and have been all my life. It's time one of us stood up to a lot of this crap, particularly the anti-vaccination idiocy.

Any good scientist uses control groups. What sort of science is it if you conduct multiple experiments on your entire body of viable test subjects? And without consent!

Go find another reason than profits to complain about Big Pharma.
    Why on earth are we reduced to defending profits on RPF? The government doesn't mandate vaccines, and yet they're profitable - so that means the market sees a value in them.

So then what happens if the parents don't educate their kids? Should the State take them away, and vaccinate them?
    "The Patriarch"

Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast