Thread: Verizon Wireless wants to 'edit' your Internet access

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It's their network, they shouldn't be told by the government what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by ZenBowman View Post
    It's their network, they shouldn't be told by the government what to do.
    We inevitably run into the problem of our populace being so f**king clueless about issues such as this due to our k-12 camps that we're going to have a serious problem if more and more ISP's head this direction...

Quote Originally Posted by Reason View Post
    We inevitably run into the problem of our populace being so f**king clueless about issues such as this due to our k-12 camps that we're going to have a serious problem if more and more ISP's head this direction...
    from the article:
    Verizon is suing to have the FCC's net neutrality order thrown out -- and it's not the first time, as Verizon was quick to challenge the FCC about this very issue in 2011 when the FCC first set such rules.
    I support verizon in this endeavor. Screw the FCC I don't need them.

If they sell the top spots I'm ok with it because it's their network. If they edit out results because they feel like I'm very much against it. The sticky spot you get is when Verizon is teh only carrier so you don't have the ability to vote with your dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by jbauer View Post
    If they sell the top spots I'm ok with it because it's their network. If they edit out results because they feel like I'm very much against it. The sticky spot you get is when Verizon is teh only carrier so you don't have the ability to vote with your dollars.
    From my research, Verizon seems to be one of the worst when it comes to being in bed with the govt, long term personal data retention, and lack of privacy policy focus.

This is a tough issue for libertarians because the telecoms are really state-sponsored entities, given monopolies, special privileges, and immunity from prosecution.

They don't OWN the airwaves so it is NOT exclusively their network to do as they want with! It is their signal they are using over Public airwaves that the FCC has the right and power to regulate. They don't own the spectrum they are using, they just own a permit to use it.
    Last edited by RickyJ; 07-12-2012 at 09:57 AM.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'm going to play devils advocate with you. If they turn off their power to their towers are you able to utilize that service? They are sending out the airwaves thus they do own (and pay for) the use of those airwaves.

Quote Originally Posted by RickyJ View Post
    They don't OWN the airwaves so it is NOT exclusively their network to do as they want with! It is their signal they are using over Public airwaves that the FCC has the right and power to regulate. They don't own the spectrum they are using, they just own a permit to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by jbauer View Post
    I'm going to play devils advocate with you. If they turn off their power to their towers are you able to utilize that service? They are sending out the airwaves thus they do own (and pay for) the use of those airwaves.
    No, they own the right to use the airwaves, they don't own them. The airwaves are public, the government doesn't even have the right to own them, but they do and should have the right to regulate the use of the public airwaves in the USA.

Of course they own their towers, I never said they didn't.
    Last edited by RickyJ; 07-12-2012 at 10:51 AM.

No, they own the right to use the airwaves, they don't own them. The airwaves are public, the government doesn't even have the right to own them, but they do and should have the right to regulate the use of the public airwaves in the USA.

Of course they own their towers, I never said they didn't.
    Organizations dont have rights, individuals have rights. As such the government should play no role in any type of regulations.
    "Corruptisima republica plurimae leges."

---- Tacitus

I love von Mises and Emma Watson

Quote Originally Posted by KingRobbStark View Post
    As such the government should play no role in any type of regulations.
    Wrong. If everybody decided to use the same frequency and modulation for communications then the interference would mean only those with the strongest signals would have any chance of being understood. This is one area where we do need government regulation so that we can have effective communications over the public airwaves.

SSH tunnels and VPNs are your friends. They even work on phones.

Wrong. If everybody decided to use the same frequency and modulation for communications then the interference would mean only those with the strongest signals would have any chance of being understood. This is one area where we do need government regulation so that we can have effective communications over the public airwaves.
    If that was the case, then the market will create alternatives.
    "Corruptisima republica plurimae leges."

---- Tacitus

I love von Mises and Emma Watson

Quote Originally Posted by KingRobbStark View Post
    If that was the case, then the market will create alternatives.
    Agreed.