Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Wal-Mart Destroying America? 20 Facts About Wal-Mart That Will Absolutely Shock You

Is Wal-Mart Destroying America? 20 Facts About Wal-Mart That Will Absolutely Shock You

Is Wal-Mart Destroying America? 20 Facts About Wal-Mart That Will Absolutely Shock You

Michael Snyder
    The Economic Collapse
    Wednesday, July 4, 2012

America absolutely loves Wal-Mart. 100 million customers visit Wal-Mart every single week in this country. But is Wal-Mart good for America? That is a question that most people never stop and ask. Most of us love shopping in big, clean stores that are packed with super cheap merchandise, but the truth is that Wal-Mart is destroying America in a lot of ways. As you will see below, Wal-Mart has destroyed tens of thousands of small businesses and countless manufacturing jobs over the past couple of decades. Wal-Mart has become a gigantic retail behemoth that sells five times more stuff than any other retailer in the United States. Unfortunately, about 85 percent of all the stuff sold at Wal-Mart is made overseas. What that is costing the U.S. economy in terms of lost jobs and lost revenue is incalculable. But Wal-Mart is a perfect example of where our economic system is headed. Our economy is becoming completely and totally dominated by highly centralized monolithic predator corporations that ruthlessly crush all competition and that will stoop to just about anything in order to cut costs. In the future, will we all be working for gigantic communal entities that funnel all of the wealth and economic rewards to a very tiny elite? That sounds very much like how communist China works, and red-blooded Americans should want no part of that. America is supposed to be about free enterprise and competition and working together to build up this country, and Wal-Mart is destroying all of that.

The following are 20 facts about Wal-Mart that will absolutely shock you….

#1 The average U.S. family now spends more than $4000 a year at Wal-Mart.

#2 In 2010, Wal-Mart had revenues of 421 billion dollars. That amount was greater than the GDP of 170 different countries including Norway, Venezuela and the United Arab Emirates.

#3 If Wal-Mart was a nation, it would have the 23rd largest GDP in the world.

#4 Wal-Mart now sells more groceries than anyone else in America does. In the United States today, one out of every four grocery dollars is spent at Wal-Mart.

#5 Amazingly, 100 million customers shop at Wal-Mart every single week.

#6 Wal-Mart has opened more than 1,100 “supercenters” since 2005 alone.

#7 Today, Wal-Mart has more than 2 million employees.

#8 If Wal-Mart was an army, it would be the second largest military on the planet behind China.

#9 Wal-Mart is the largest employer in 25 different U.S. states.

#10 According to the Economic Policy Institute, trade between Wal-Mart and China resulted in the loss of 133,000 manufacturing jobs in the United States between 2001 and 2006.

#11 The CEO of Wal-Mart makes more in a single hour than a full-time Wal-Mart associate makes in an entire year.

#12 Tens of thousands of Wal-Mart employees and their children are enrolled in Medicaid and are dependent on the government for healthcare.

#13 Between 2001 and 2007, the value of products that Wal-Mart imported from China grew from $9 billion to $27 billion.

#14 Sadly, about 85 percent of all the products sold at Wal-Mart are made outside of the United States.

#15 It is being reported that about 80 percent of all Wal-Mart suppliers are in China at this point.

#16 Amazingly, 96 percent of all Americans now live within 20 miles of a Wal-Mart.

#17 The number of “independent retailers” in the United States declined by 60,000 between 1992 and 2007.

#18 According to the Center for Responsive Politics, Wal-Mart spent 7.8 million dollars on political lobbying during 2011. That number does not even include campaign contributions.

#19 Today, Wal-Mart has five times the sales of the second largest U.S. retailer (Costco).

#20 The combined net worth of six members of the Walton family is roughly equal to the combined net worth of the poorest 30 percent of all Americans.

All over the country, independent retailers are going out of business because they cannot compete with Wal-Mart and their super cheap Chinese products. Often communities will give Wal-Mart huge tax breaks just to move in to their areas. But what many communities don’t take into account is that the introduction of a Wal-Mart is often absolutely devastating to small businesses….

A study of small and rural towns in Iowa showed lost sales for local businesses ranging from -17.2% in small towns to -61.4% in rural areas, amounting to a total dollar loss of $2.46 BILLION over a 13-year period.

When we buy stuff made by people working for slave labor wages in China, we destroy good paying American jobs and we make America poorer. This is a point that I have tried to make over and over.

Wal-Mart often tells one thing to the public and then does another thing in private. Sadly, the truth is that Wal-Mart does not care about U.S. manufacturing jobs. Wal-Mart just wants to get products as cheaply as they possibly can, and most of the time that means getting them from China.

Just check out this first-hand testimony from an 81-year-old retired apparel manufacturer….

I was president of the Southwestern Apparel Manufacturers Association. There was a meeting sometime between 1985 and 1990. Walmart had contacted our organization and asked if they could meet with us at our beautiful Apparel Mart we had here in Dallas, which has now been razed, because all the independent merchants don’t exist that used to come to it. Two people from Walmart came down and they said they were going to be sourcing goods from overseas and we would have to meet those prices for consumer products and to get ready for it—we are going to be sourcing the world. Walmart was the only company that came out and said this.

It was sort of shocking: I was selling them some merchandise at the time. On the back of their trucks it was saying “Bring it Back to America!” They had the big “keep it in America” program going at that time on the big signs in the stores. Meanwhile when I reminded the buyer of that, she told me, “that is just for domestic consumption, we’re going to buy at the cheapest we can anywhere on earth.”

As I have written about previously, the United States has lost more than 56,000 manufacturing facilities since 2001.

We are losing millions of good jobs that cannot be replaced. If you can believe it, the United States has actually lost an average of about 50,000 manufacturing jobs a month since China joined the World Trade Organization in 2001.

Last year, the U.S. trade deficit with China was the biggest trade deficit that one nation has had with another nation in the history of the world, and Wal-Mart played a huge role in that.

In fact, Wal-Mart has actually been forcing some U.S. manufacturers to pack up and move overseas. The following is from a recent article by Amy Traub….

Walmart’s market power is so immense that the even the largest suppliers must comply with its demands for lower and lower prices because they cannot afford to have their goods taken off its shelves. Companies that used to manufacture products in the United States, from Levi’s jeans to lock maker Master Lock, were pressured to shut their U.S. factories and moved manufacturing abroad to meet Walmart’s demand for low prices.

Unfortunately, the vast wealth that Wal-Mart is sucking out of our communities is not put back into our communities. The profits are funneled out to Wal-Mart executives and shareholders. We may enjoy the low prices, but very little of the money that we give to Wal-Mart gets recycled in our local areas.

In the old days, you could actually support a family selling electronics or running a general store. But you can’t support a family working at Wal-Mart. The vast majority of the jobs that Wal-Mart creates are very low paying. Large numbers of Wal-Mart employees are actually on welfare, and this is part of the reason why we have seen such an explosion in the number of the working poor in America.

At this point, more than 40 percent of all jobs in America are low wage jobs and the middle class is rapidly disappearing.

If we do not support American jobs and American manufacturers they will continue to go away and the welfare rolls in this country will continue to explode.

There is not going to be any prosperity in this country without jobs. Unfortunately, most Americans simply do not understand how good jobs are being systematically destroyed in America every single day.

The path that America is headed on today is only going to end in complete and total disaster. We are being transformed from a wealthy nation into a poor nation. In the end, we will be dominated by a very tiny elite and everyone else will either be among the working poor or will be totally dependent on the government.

Our system is supposed to be about open, honest competition. But that is not what Wal-Mart is about. Wal-Mart is about crushing small businesses and manufacturers here in America and getting us all to buy their super cheap Chinese-made goods.

Shame on Wal-Mart. They are an un-American disgrace.

So what do all of you think about Wal-Mart? Please feel free to post a comment with your thoughts below….
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

I try not to use it , mostly due to #12,13,14 &17 on the list . I have found that between my two cheaper local grocers ( where I buy meat , I do not harvest ) , The Dollar Store ( where I get household clening , personal hygene type stuff ) , my local Farm Store ( oil , bird seed , ammo )etc , and the local Big Box Hardware store ( sales ) , I can get anything sold at Wal Mart as cheap or cheaper , better quality , better service , easier access , rain checks etc etc

Walmart is so awesome. I mean, they're revenue is greater than most countries GDP, and the average American family spends 8% of their income there a year. What a success story.

lol didnt expect to find WM hate here... goods are gonna be made in china no matter who buys them. If it was a mom and pop store the only difference is you would pay more for the same chinese stuff. This article is so full of crap I just don't feel like going through it all with responses.

walmart is a benefit to the US economy.

It is .gov policy that is the enemy.

If I had to weigh in on this, I'd say that WalMart isn't destroying America, rather they are a symptom of the apathy and the monetary and intellectual poverty that is in fact what's destroying America.

It's not the stuffy head, runny nose and the sneezing that kill a million Americans every year, it's the influenza virus. WalMart is just the stuffy head, runny nose and the sneezing.

Quote Originally Posted by Texan4Life View Post
    lol didnt expect to find WM hate here... goods are gonna be made in china no matter who buys them. If it was a mom and pop store the only difference is you would pay more for the same chinese stuff. This article is so full of crap I just don't feel like going through it all with responses.

Emphasis added.

You don't actually believe that do you?

ETA - specifically, Mom and Pop stores don't generally have the volume or the turnover to make Chinese imports worthwhile once you calculate shipping cost and time. By and large, actual Mom and Pop stores do tend a lot more towards "Made in the USA" goods because at the volume they turn over it's legitimately cheaper for them to buy from those suppliers, or the price point is so close that they go with American manufactured goods figuring that the loyalty factor will compensate for the 0.1% difference in cost.

Also, a lot of times the same model of the same brand when sold at WalMart vs a traditional retailer is a different product. I learned this first hand when doing research to get a brand that I was VP of the company for into WalMart. This is particularly true of lawn mowers yard tractors and such. WalMart demands so much high production at so much low pricing that companies that get shelfspace will often turn up a whole new factory or a new production line to produce equipment for sale at WalMart only, which factory or line gets equipped with much cheaper component parts, more less expensive automation leads to a poorer fit and finish, the list goes on.

I can't recall the brand offhand, (was it John Deere? Honestly don't remember) but I know that more than one gas-powered yard equipment manufacturer actually pulled out of WalMart because the necessity of having a "WalMart line" of their same products more cheaply manufactured was damaging their reputation.

I mean, I'm decidedly not a WalMart hater, even though I wonder if its economic benefit locally and nationally is often overstated by it's supporters, just as it's damage is overstated by it's detractors.

The statement I take issue with is that you get the exact same Chinese stuff at a Mom & Pop as you do at a WalMart. As someone who has seen the supply side personally and even worked to get a product that we manufactured bought by WalMart, that statement is simply not so.
    Last edited by GunnyFreedom; 07-05-2012 at 04:52 AM.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Last edited by Zatch; 07-05-2012 at 03:51 AM.
    Zatch

I absolutely, positively ADORE Wal Mart. Wal Mart is the single biggest reason why a normal, middle class couple like my wife and I, can have a standard of living probably at least 25% greater than we could in its absence.

And as far as the price thing goes, YES, Wal Mart is waaaaaaaay cheaper in my personal experience than "mom and pop shops". WAY cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by BucksforPaul View Post
    "You must spread some reputation around before giving it to BucksforPaul again."

ROFLMAO! My morning coffee is all over the monitor now! That was a great start for my morning!!

Quote Originally Posted by Texan4Life View Post

Just remember that when Wal-Marx is the only place to buy your Chinese-made, Indonesia-made, Taiwan-made, got-to-have junk.

Wal-Marx works with the government, that is what most of the Libertarians just don't get. The monopoly is made, because government protects them.

Flashback:

Wal-Mart, DoD clarify RFID plans: suppliers begin race to present plans for RFID implementation

Wal-Mart Stores Inc. will take a phased approach to rolling out RFID technology in its supply chain. At meetings with suppliers and technology vendors in Bentonville, Ark., in November, the retailer said it planned to start using RFID in its Texas facilities first.

Wal-Mart's top 100 suppliers must present implementation plans by February 2004.

Shortly after the Wal-Mart meetings, the Department of Defense held its first RFID conference for suppliers and technology vendors, where it further outlined its plans for implementing RFID with its 43,000 suppliers. Wal-Mart is working closely with DoD to develop its RFID strategies.

"We've made it clear we do intend to implement this technology," said Alan Estevez, assistant undersecretary of defense, supply chain integration. "And we're willing to work with [technology providers] on how best to implement it."

Both Wal-Mart and DoD have indicated they will support the upcoming Electronic Product Code (EPC) Class 1, Version 2 RFID air interface protocol, which had yet to be finalized at press time. EPCglobal, the industry organization managing commercialization of EPC, expected to have the final specification available in the first quarter of 2004.

"Class 1, Version 2 will be a foundation protocol for all passive UHF tags," said Sue Hutchinson, product manager at EPCglobal U.S. "It will support tags from Class 0 to Class 2, all from a single protocol."

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m.../ai_112563026/

Hillary Clinton was on the Wal-Marx board of directors for 6 years and it wasn't until her 2008 campaign that it came out, for most people to know about it.

Present day:

Here's a nice little incentive Hillary pushed as secretary of state--meanwhile plenty of Americans are out of work.

Walmart, U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and the Inter-American Development Bank Partner to Change the Lives of Women and Youth

Retailer invests $12 million to improve lives and communities in Latin America and the Caribbean

CARTAGENA, Colombia, April 13, 2012 – U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and Walmart announced today an initiative that will empower up to 55,000 women in Latin America and the Caribbean to build businesses and take control of their futures. In addition, Walmart will work with the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB) to provide job training and help with job placement for nearly 1 million young people in these regions, at least half of whom will be young women.

“These partnerships will not only change the lives of the women we’ll reach, but also improve the lives of their families and their entire communities,” said Walmart President and CEO Mike Duke, who joined Secretary Clinton at the Sixth Summit of the Americas in Cartagena, Colombia today. “When we launched our Global Women’s Economic Empowerment Initiative last year, we committed to helping women around the world live better. By working with leaders like Secretary Clinton, we’re bringing that mission to life.”

Walmart’s $12 million commitment to Secretary Clinton’s International Fund for Women and Girls, the IDB and other NGOs includes:

The WEAmericas Small Grants Initiative

In partnership with Secretary Clinton’s International Fund for Women and Girls, the Walmart Foundation has pledged $1.5 million to help create the WEAmericas Small Grants Initiative. Over the next two years, the effort will support the dreams of up to 55,000 potential women entrepreneurs in rural and indigenous communities throughout the Americas.

Vital Voices Women Entrepreneur Support

The Walmart Foundation is donating $500,000 to Vital Voices, an NGO committed to unleashing the leadership potential of extraordinary women around the world. The grant will provide long-term support for women hoping to grow small businesses.

The New Employment Opportunities (NEO) Initiative

Walmart will translate and provide its Walmart Brazil Social Retail School curriculum to the IDB’s NEO Initiative. The retailer also committed to continuing its partnership in Brazil with governments and NGOs for the next five years, graduating thousands of new students. Combined, this support is valued at more than $10 million.

The IDB expects its NEO Initiative to empower roughly 1 million young people to take control of their futures over the next 10 years. At least half of those served will be young women.

“As a founding member of our NEO initiative, Walmart is demonstrating a visionary commitment to training youth in our region for 21st century jobs and promoting greater gender balance,’’ said IDB President Luis Alberto Moreno. “We are proud to have Walmart as a partner and hope their example will serve as an inspiration to other companies to join the NEO Initiative.”

Today’s announcement supports key goals under Walmart’s Global Women’s Economic Empowerment Initiative, launched in September 2011. For more information on this initiative, visit www.walmartstores.com/women.

http://www.walmartstores.com/pressroom/news/10869.aspx

So you all go right on out and support Wal-Marx because "always low prices" means they will eventually be the only game in town, and then you will be beholden to them just like government wants you to be.

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    Just remember that when Wal-Marx is the only place to buy your Chinese-made, Indonesia-made, Taiwan-made, got-to-have junk.
    Wal-Marx works with the government, that is what most of the Libertarians just don't get. The monopoly is made, because government protects them.
    The problem is that this article is written from a success is a bad thing perspective which automatically triggers emotions in lefties to like the article and hate walmart; but has the exact opposite effect on more liberty minded folk. Gunny is correct, the article completely misses the point and distracts the reader with the symptoms , not the virus that caused them.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    That's the horrific claim that is made, but my local Wal Mart has been around for many, many years and there are still tons of other places to shop. Granted, in most of them you can get virtually the same things as at Wal Mart (but with less variety), you just pay 35% more for them. What a bargain!

so Whats wrong with Walmart?

Something about the tone of that article rubbed me the wrong way. But I agree that every penny that WalMart makes through coercive corporatism is evil.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    The problem is that this article is written from a success is a bad thing perspective which automatically triggers emotions in lefties to like the article and hate walmart; but has the exact opposite effect on more liberty minded folk. Gunny is correct, the article completely misses the point and distracts the reader with the symptoms , not the virus that caused them.
    See I do not call this success-- "Walmart’s market power is so immense that the even the largest suppliers must comply with its demands for lower and lower prices because they cannot afford to have their goods taken off its shelves. Companies that used to manufacture products in the United States, from Levi’s jeans to lock maker Master Lock, were pressured to shut their U.S. factories and moved manufacturing abroad to meet Walmart’s demand for low prices."

So there is no way, a Mom and Pop can even dream to do the same. Consequently, they are left out in the cold, which makes them go bankrupt.

The article also goes on to say, "At this point, more than 40 percent of all jobs in America are low wage jobs and the middle class is rapidly disappearing."

This is eating our sustenance along with government's help. This isn't capitalism it is crony-capitalism, and I do not know why it is hard for people to understand that? A good many of us know what the agenda is; to take this country (economically) and knock it down to third-world status. Consumerism, is one of the 'isms' that is taking this country down even faster, the problem is our economy is so bad that people run to Wal-Marx because they think they can save a buck. In the end, they lose and we all lose.

See I do not call this success--
    #1-#9 are all a tale of success. You have to get halfway through the list #10 before you get to anything remotely negative.

And wtf is the deal with #8? Does that make any sense? Does walmart have their own tanks and air force?

See I do not call this success-- "Walmart’s market power is so immense that the even the largest suppliers must comply with its demands for lower and lower prices because they cannot afford to have their goods taken off its shelves. Companies that used to manufacture products in the United States, from Levi’s jeans to lock maker Master Lock, were pressured to shut their U.S. factories and moved manufacturing abroad to meet Walmart’s demand for low prices."

So there is no way, a Mom and Pop can even dream to do the same. Consequently, they are left out in the cold, which makes them go bankrupt.

The article also goes on to say, "At this point, more than 40 percent of all jobs in America are low wage jobs and the middle class is rapidly disappearing."

This is eating our sustenance along with government's help. This isn't capitalism it is crony-capitalism, and I do not know why it is hard for people to understand that? A good many of us know what the agenda is; to take this country (economically) and knock it down to third-world status. Consumerism, is one of the 'isms' that is taking this country down even faster, the problem is our economy is so bad that people run to Wal-Marx because they think they can save a buck. In the end, they lose and we all lose.
    Still just a symptom of the core problem rather than the problem itself.

Congress is so beholden to corporatist special interests it's like they bend themselves over the desk and drop trau and scream "GIMME that biiiiiig money!" You think a giant like WalMart is going to turn and look the other way?

WalMart doesn't have to pressure government to do anything. They probably have 400 Congress-critters lined up on their knees every day applying lip gloss. Of course they are going to take advantage, the shareholders would fire the board for gross incompetence if they didn't.

WalMart is not the problem, it's just the symptom. The problems run much deeper.

Quote Originally Posted by soulcyon View Post
    Nothing... people just love finding corporate boogymans.
    It's just an opinion... man...

Quote Originally Posted by soulcyon View Post
    It's buried inside of a fortress of box stores, the parking lot is impossible to get in and out of, the lines are always 20-30 people long, they give me $#@! about IDs and signing things the 2-3 times a year I buy ammo there, they have literally not one single other thing I want to buy that I can't get somewhere else that respects my time, and when I'm leaving I have to contend with three lights to get out to a main thoroughfare which are constantly backed up.

Seriously, if Target sold WWB I would never set foot in the place.

Actually, I get aggravated enough going to Target. Actually, I get aggravated enough going to box stores at all to make it an unpleasant experience for me.
    I don't know why the rest of the world flocks to these places. As soon as I set foot in one the animator draws one of those black scribbles over my head.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    #1-#9 are all a tale of success. You have to get halfway through the list #10 before you get to anything remotely negative.

And wtf is the deal with #8? Does that make any sense? Does walmart have their own tanks and air force?
    I am being blatantly disallowed from repping you, signature notwithstanding.

[B]Is Wal-Mart Destroying America? 20 Facts About Wal-Mart That Will Absolutely Shock You….
    I believe you meant to say that Obama, Pelosi and Benedict Roberts will destroy the nation.

.DON'T TAX ME BRO!!!

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brush fires of freedom in the minds of men." -- Samuel Adams (1722-1803)

Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    It's buried inside of a fortress of box stores, the parking lot is impossible to get in and out of, the lines are always 20-30 people long, they give me $#@! about IDs and signing things the 2-3 times a year I buy ammo there, they have literally not one single other thing I want to buy that I can't get somewhere else that respects my time, and when I'm leaving I have to contend with three lights to get out to a main thoroughfare which are constantly backed up.

Seriously, if Target sold WWB I would never set foot in the place.

Actually, I get aggravated enough going to Target. Actually, I get aggravated enough going to box stores at all to make it an unpleasant experience for me.
    I don't know why the rest of the world flocks to these places. As soon as I set foot in one the animator draws one of those black scribbles over my head.
    White Wheat Bread?

Wal-Mart destroying America? Shame on me, I thought it was the Military Industrial Complex, the Medical Complex & Guilds, the Banking monopolies and cartels, and the avarice, corruption, and power-engorged Fascists that run up and down the chain of American Government's. Sure, Wal-Mart isn't innocent, but it's not either this rapacious monster that we must be shielded from with such priority you suppose.

Never mind the fact that your OP is laced with protectionist drivel. If China is going to impoverish their people to subsidize our consumption, I'm not going to raise hell considering we have our own pressing issues domestically we must deal with first.

Here, let Robert Murphy school you and AF.

Pay close attention to the parts about 'trade deficits'.
    Last edited by Austrian Econ Disciple; 07-05-2012 at 06:34 AM.
    School of Salamanca - School of Austrian Economics - Liberty, Private Property, Free-Markets, Voluntaryist, Agorist. le monde va de lui même

"No man hath power over my rights and liberties, and I over no mans [sic]."

What, sir, is the use of a militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty.

www.mises.org
    www.antiwar.com
    An Arrow Against all Tyrants - Richard Overton vis. 1646 (Required reading!)

When each of us make the choice to purchase goods from overseas we are consciously supporting the cheapest labor pool.

The USA was built with American labor.

The fallacy that we as a nation can successfully support ourselves with our intellectual superiority and military might is showing itself in spades the last decade.

From a dumb-ass country boy perspective "we" need to make stuff here...All of the arguments back and forth about different views of economics and global market places boils down to the US labor pool must compete for manufacturing dollars with China/India and other third world countries.

It makes sense to me that getting "our government" completely out of business would be a good thing, no more welfare support for wal-mart workers, and no more protectionist foreign policies for out of country manufacturing, if Americans choose to buy foreign made goods then Americans need to deal with the starving labor pool right here at home. Thinking that somehow with enough subsidies ol' Billy-Bob who's only really able to perform assembly line work can elevate himself to the ranks of stock-broker or doctor is nothing more than smoke-n-mirrors.

Fact is there's a good portion of Americans who are only qualified for production/farm labor and service type employment and as things sit they're being paid by all of us to produce nothing but baby's. We have all made these choices and we've gotta figure out how to deal with them.

Many here want the "deals" from cheap labor.... Okay, then realistically we need to deal with the segment of society that has no work because of those "deals"..... Wars aren't the only thing breaking our economy, we need to get back to making "stuff" here and if that means 30-40% of our population living in squalor so as to provide competitive labor without government subsidies at least we could see the honest effect of government and business as it is.

We're broke, been printing phony money for decades and it's all going to sort itself out whether or not we like it... I'm worried for my son.

Soon we will have to rename our country--The United Wal-Marx of America. They are in every state, town and city across the country.
    Last edited by donnay; 07-05-2012 at 07:04 AM.

Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast