Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is RP still legally able to declare a 3rd Party run?

Is RP still legally able to declare a 3rd Party run?

Just interested...

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Yes, but...
    He could not be on the ballot in every state, and now it is getting really late.

In a more perfect world:
    With a combination of super-pacs and grassroots billionaires how much money would we need to raise to convince Ron to run this year?
    Last edited by Indy Vidual; 08-20-2012 at 02:02 AM.
    No one here wanted to be the Billionaire.

Quote Originally Posted by febo View Post
    Just interested...
    I would think he could latch onto the ticket in the Libertarian party as VP and essentially be seen as the de facto Presidential candidate or co-candidate.

He only needs to win 1/3 of the states... or so.

You don't need to win the popular vote at all.
    In New Zealand:
    The Coastguard is a Charity
    Air Traffic Control is a private company run on user fees
    The DMV is a private non-profit
    Rescue helicopters and ambulances are operated by charities and are plastered with corporate logos
    The agriculture industry has zero subsidies
    5% of the national vote, gets you 5 seats in Parliament
    A tax return has 4 fields
    Business licenses aren't a thing
    Prostitution is legal
    We have a constitutional right to refuse any type of medical care

It is far too late.
    "Oh no! Not this shit again?"
    Constitutional Libertarian Federalist

I would think he could latch onto the ticket in the Libertarian party as VP and essentially be seen as the de facto Presidential candidate or co-candidate.
    Interesting. The best thing to happen is RP winning the GOP nomination. This would be the second best thing to happen.
    Last edited by dean.engelhardt; 08-20-2012 at 08:17 AM.

Deadlines have already passed to qualify for the ballot in CA (55 EVs) and TX (38 EVs) as well as PA (20 EVs), IL (20 EVs) and IN (11 EVs) and about a dozen other states. As I said, it is far too late.
    "Oh no! Not this shit again?"
    Constitutional Libertarian Federalist

For the love of God people!!! He is not going to run third party.
    Terminus tela viaticus!

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    He would need an entirely new campaign staff to turn around the ship, but it's probably not possible anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by anaconda View Post
    A Johnson/Paul ticket complement one another weaknesses. A former Republican governor with a media narrative that has provided a Conservative track record, he is relatively unknown to people and without the labels baggage that Ron has. Ron could bring his notoriety, grassroots and supporters to the ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by kahless View Post
    A Johnson/Paul ticket complement one another weaknesses. A former Republican governor with a media narrative that has provided a Conservative track record, he is relatively unknown to people and without the labels baggage that Ron has. Ron could bring his notoriety, grassroots and supporters to the ticket.
    I'd be on board

Relevant

"There was madness in any direction, at any hour. You could strike sparks anywhere. There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning.

And that I think, was the handle. That sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn't need that. Our energy would simply prevail. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave." ~ HST

I'll start to indulge this idea after the convention if needed... but would like to see Dr. Paul debate Ryan on the budget and Biden on foreign policy...

Ron isn't running third party, he's stated it over and over again. The LP VP candidate is Jim Gray.

Quote Originally Posted by NewFederalist View Post
    It is far too late.
    actually, 42 states allow write in, and Ron once said MAYBE he could be convinced that 3d party candidates using matching funds isn't as bad because of the ballot access and legal monopoly benefits to the other two parties (although he refused them running GOP last time.) And if he actually did take $39 million in matching funds he's entitled to, I bet the LP and GJ might be willing to make RP P and GJ VP to win the undying adoration of Ron's supporters going forward, and GJ is young enough to run next time (in fact he's already said if he loses he is planning to.)

NOw do I think that is going to happen? Not at all, but Ron definitely has the options if he wants them.
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

he has not totally totaly closed the door on any of this.
    this is being said as tampa looms with an eventuality!!!!!

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by 69360 View Post
    Ron isn't running third party, he's stated it over and over again. The LP VP candidate is Jim Gray.
    Gray would obviously have to step down. I think everyone involved would be all over this. And, by the way, Ron was always responding to questions about running for President as a third party candidate, not and Vice President. Plus Ron never said "no" unequivocally. He was clearly careful not to.

Gray would obviously have to step down. I think everyone involved would be all over this. And, by the way, Ron was always responding to questions about running for President as a third party candidate, not and Vice President. Plus Ron never said "no" unequivocally. He was clearly careful not to.
    IF Ron went LP it would be as Pres. LP would have to want the gratitude of his followers, and POSSIBLY his $39 mill matching funds (if Ron is willing to file for those). Ron as LP VP isn't worth running for, imho. The point would be the presidential debates, and RON SHOULD get into those. Mind you, polls can be scheduled at 'bad' moments etc. so I guess there is never a guarantee of that.
    Last edited by sailingaway; 08-20-2012 at 01:44 PM.
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

Quote Originally Posted by sailingaway View Post
    actually, 42 states allow write in, and Ron once said MAYBE he could be convinced that 3d party candidates using matching funds isn't as bad because of the ballot access and legal monopoly benefits to the other two parties (although he refused them running GOP last time.) And if he actually did take $39 million in matching funds he's entitled to, I bet the LP and GJ might be willing to make RP P and GJ VP to win the undying adoration of Ron's supporters going forward, and GJ is young enough to run next time (in fact he's already said if he loses he is planning to.)

NOw do I think that is going to happen? Not at all, but Ron definitely has the options if he wants them.
    I am worried that the LP will be stricken from the ballot in sore loser states if Ron were to be the LP Presidential nominee. But couldn't accepting Gary Johnson's VP slot do a complete end run around sore loser laws? And, besides, everyone would view it as essentially a de facto "dual Presidential ticket." It would likely be a 15% poll win and national debates.

I am worried that the LP will be stricken from the ballot in sore loser states if Ron were to be the LP Presidential nominee. But couldn't accepting Gary Johnson's VP slot do a complete end run around sore loser laws? And, besides, everyone would view it as essentially a de facto "dual Presidential ticket." It would likely be a 15% poll win and national debates.
    I think sore loser laws don't apply to Pres election because of the constitution and the fact you are voting for ELECTORS -- this might be the time to challenge it. Or they could put something else on the ballot in TX and the few others with issues. Just the party could go on, for example. Ron wouldn't get in the debates otherwise, and he'd be the one who'd get the poll numbers to get there.

I don't think Ron will do it but if they shaft his delegates and don't seat enough for him to be nominated from the floor (which would require outright cheating by credentials if they failed to seat that many, imho) he might be pissed enough, or his supporters might be pissed enough to persuade him.
    Last edited by sailingaway; 08-20-2012 at 01:49 PM.

IF Ron went LP it would be as Pres. LP would have to want the gratitude of his followers, and POSSIBLY his $39 mill matching funds (if Ron is willing to file for those). Ron as LP VP isn't worth running for, imho. The point would be the presidential debates, and RON SHOULD get into those. Mind you, polls can be scheduled at 'bad' moments etc. so I guess there is never a guarantee of that.
    Respectfully, I think you're not seeing the potential of RP as LP VP. It would be huge. It would be an unprecedented case of a VP essentially being the de facto co-Presidential candidate. Everyone would "get it." It could likely bounce the ticket immediately into the 15% debate qualifying range. We don't need Ron in the debates..we need a liberty candidate. Gary is actually better equipped to debate those other two clowns than Ron. While we all love Ron, Gary, with proper preparation, could make the case better before the national audience. Ron would likely appear on the MSM quire frequently to reinforce the message.

Ron wouldn't get in the debates as VP. I can't imagine him running nor his supporters wanting him to as VP. And I absolutely don't think Gary is nearly as equipped to debate the others as Ron, GJ doesn't even argue from principles.

You are saying RON should be essentially propping up GJ's no traction race. That is bass-ackwards, imho.
    Last edited by sailingaway; 08-20-2012 at 01:54 PM.

if they shaft his delegates and don't seat enough for him to be nominated from the floor (which would require outright cheating by credentials if they failed to seat that many, imho) he might be pissed enough, or his supporters might be pissed enough to persuade him.
    This would be plenty of justification. The public would be supportive. The Democrats will use it extensively (so Ron & Gary wouldn't have to spend resources selling it to the media, against an otherwise Republican financed rebuke of Ron. Independents would love it.)

Are pigs still legally able to fly?

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    You are saying RON should be essentially propping up GJ's no traction race. That is bass-ackwards, imho.
    8% is not "no traction." And Ron would instantly breathe another 8% into it. Debate inclusion happens. Gary contrasts 180 degrees in the debates with Mittens and Soetoro. Ron gets a national debate with Biden and Ryan and contrasts 180 degrees as well. We get default help from Democratic Party. LP scores around 15% in the general, sending the Republican Party to a landslide loss and given a harsh lesson for the future (like maybe: don't even think about screwing with Rand?).

And, while I am reluctant to beat a dead horse, I will suggest again that this scheme would be naturally and obviously seen by the voters and media as and unconventional ticket where the "VP" is a defacto co-Presidential candidate, if not the defacto Presidential candidate. Ron would, of course, give continued props and full support publicly for Johnson as the unambiguous Presidential nominee.
    Last edited by anaconda; 08-20-2012 at 02:04 PM.

personally under those circumstances I wouldn't even want him to run.

personally under those circumstances I wouldn't even want him to run.
    What's not to like?. It would be a classic coup and a terrific opportunity to add geometrically to the freedom message that the media ran roughshod over during the primary season. It would thrust RP right back into the spotlight.
    Last edited by anaconda; 08-20-2012 at 02:09 PM.

As I understand it, the LP has entered its Electors as ballot entries, not Gary Johnson. Pretty sure GJ would happily move to the bottom of the ticket for a chance to win and be top of the ticket next go around.
    In New Zealand:
    The Coastguard is a Charity
    Air Traffic Control is a private company run on user fees
    The DMV is a private non-profit
    Rescue helicopters and ambulances are operated by charities and are plastered with corporate logos
    The agriculture industry has zero subsidies
    5% of the national vote, gets you 5 seats in Parliament
    A tax return has 4 fields
    Business licenses aren't a thing
    Prostitution is legal
    We have a constitutional right to refuse any type of medical care

Quote Originally Posted by idiom View Post
    As I understand it, the LP has entered its Electors as ballot entries, not Gary Johnson. Pretty sure GJ would happily move to the bottom of the ticket for a chance to win and be top of the ticket next go around.
    this was my thought too.

Quote Originally Posted by idiom View Post
    Thank you for this. But, what about "sore loser" laws?

Also, won't the ballots read "Electors for Gary Johnson, Libertarian" or something that names him specifically? Or are you saying the LP can switch the name before the ballots are printed?
    Last edited by anaconda; 08-20-2012 at 02:19 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast