Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What are you reading?

I just finished The Invisible Heart, by Russ Roberts of EconTalk; I'll definitely be reading more of his stuff. It's an exploration of the merits of the free market and libertarian, written in dialogue between an econ professor (Roberts' stand-in, one assumes) and an English teacher who believes in regulation, welfare, etc. Roberts writes her concerns well, and his main character sometimes doesn't have an answer for her except to say that even a perfect system produces imperfect results.

My current read is Chain of Thunder, an American Civil War novel; on the serious side I'm reading Diet for a Warm Planet.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by bolil View Post
    SOmetimes when I read Tolstoy or Dostoevsky english translations I feel like I am ingesting vomit. If only I had the mental capacity to learn Russian, and french. I have Shakespeare (Edward D'Veere) and Clemens, perhaps that is enough.

EDIT: And tolkien... never forget the original R.R.
    I prefer the original Russian myself. Lots of nuances get lost in translation from Russian to English.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

I finished 1984 yesterday. Good book, but the ending wasn't as good as I hoped it would be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

I have tried reading 1984 3 or 4 times and I just can't get into it...Animal Farm I loved.

Just finished reading Walden. Very thought-provoking. It was a little difficult because my eyes would keep reading while my mind was thinking about something from the last paragraph. Still, though, pretty enjoyable.

Thinking about picking up The Brothers Karamazov.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

8. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Cash. Biography of Johnny Cash.

The Federalist Papers
    >>>>>>Become a Precinct Committeeman<<<<<<
    http://becomeapc.com/

Phoenix Rising: Day of Judgement.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234