Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What are you reading?

After a couple months of picking up and putting down Peter Schiff's The Real Crash, I finally finished it today. Skipping around 20 pages within the last couple chapters just because I reached that point where I felt as if I read the important stuff. The real important part of the book that I feel people really need to read, perhaps not us, but, our family and friends, was the chapter labeled "Putting Government in it's place."

I feel he made many libertarian based points regarding foreign policy, to social issues such as prostitution. He also mentions Ron Paul several times.

Anyway, I am now starting A Renegade History of the United States by Thaddeus Russell. I've read only a few pages thus far and nothing is jumping out at me.
    Last edited by Okie RP fan; 09-15-2012 at 08:41 PM.
    Welcome to the R3VOLUTION!

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by fegeldolfy View Post
    John Adams by David McCullough
    Economics in One Lesson by Henry Hazlitt
    Emperor:The Death of Kings by Conn Iggulden
    Those Emperor books are great reading. Not great history. But great reading.

Quote Originally Posted by sevin View Post
    Pretty great if you like the other Dark Tower books. There's a story about the main characters escaping from a storm, Roland tells them a story about when he was younger and looking for a shapeshifting killer, and the younger Roland tells a story his mom used to tell him. So it's a story within a story within a story. Sounds strange, but it works.
    My favorite parts of the series is when Roland tells stories of when he was younger. My favorite book of the series is Wizard and Glass.

Quote Originally Posted by The Free Hornet View Post
    I'm on book 5 and wish I never started. It is my estimate that it will be 2020 before that illiberal blob, GRRM, finishes the damn series.

He's blagging on the most asinine BS imaginable:

Seriously dude, get back to $#@!ing work.

Thanks for ruining martin for me, I have read all 5 books and now will start seeing liberal bias as I read the rest.

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I am currently reading:

Shadowbosses, about government unions with a decidedly right wing flavor http://www.amazon.com/Shadowbosses-G...=shadow+bosses

What Has Government Done To Our Money, you all know this one http://www.amazon.com/What-Has-Gover...e+to+our+money

Lion of Liberty, Bio on Patrick Henry http://www.amazon.com/Lion-Liberty-P...ion+of+liberty

Quote Originally Posted by The Free Hornet View Post
    I'm on book 5 and wish I never started. It is my estimate that it will be 2020 before that illiberal blob, GRRM, finishes the damn series.

He's blagging on the most asinine BS imaginable:

Seriously dude, get back to $#@!ing work.
    Interesting guy to work on trying to convert. If the series with a huge following still had a conclusion to write and its politics suddenly diverged towards freedom... it would be helpful.
    In New Zealand:
    The Coastguard is a Charity
    Air Traffic Control is a private company run on user fees
    The DMV is a private non-profit
    Rescue helicopters and ambulances are operated by charities and are plastered with corporate logos
    The agriculture industry has zero subsidies
    5% of the national vote, gets you 5 seats in Parliament
    A tax return has 4 fields
    Business licenses aren't a thing
    Prostitution is legal
    We have a constitutional right to refuse any type of medical care

Mastering Linux
    No one here wanted to be the Billionaire.

Rereading "the wheel of time" series. Cant wait for the last book to come out.
    Im too old to take advice and much too young to give it, so let me live my life as I see fit.

Quote Originally Posted by XTreat View Post
    I am currently reading:

Shadowbosses, about government unions with a decidedly right wing flavor http://www.amazon.com/Shadowbosses-G...=shadow+bosses

What Has Government Done To Our Money, you all know this one http://www.amazon.com/What-Has-Gover...e+to+our+money

Lion of Liberty, Bio on Patrick Henry http://www.amazon.com/Lion-Liberty-P...ion+of+liberty
    Are you reading all three at the same time, or just whenever you finish one you will move on to the other?

Just wondering, because I'd like to know how you feel about reading multiple books at one time.

Quote Originally Posted by Corto_Maltese View Post
    Rereading "the wheel of time" series. Cant wait for the last book to come out.
    I don't think the last book will ever be done. You know the original author died and a new author took over. I almost like the new one better as he doesn't fling so many new chatacters around,

Quote Originally Posted by Okie RP fan View Post
    Are you reading all three at the same time, or just whenever you finish one you will move on to the other?

Just wondering, because I'd like to know how you feel about reading multiple books at one time.
    I am reading all three. Rothbard stays on the back of my toilet and I rotate the other two. Sometimes I read more than three at a time. If I get a really good fiction novel I will blitz right through it though.

How do I feel about it? Well I read a lot so its easy I guess. I just kinda pick what I want instinctively.
    Last edited by XTreat; 09-16-2012 at 05:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Meatwasp View Post
    I don't think the last book will ever be done. You know the original author died and a new author took over. I almost like the new one better as he doesn't fling so many new chatacters around,
    I like Brandon Sanderson better as well.

The last book comes out January 3rd 2013.

15. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by XTreat View Post
    I am reading all three. Rothbard stays on the back of my toilet and I rotate the other two. Sometimes I read more than three at a time. If I get a really good fiction novel I will blitz right through it though.

How do I feel about it? Well I read a lot so its easy I guess. I just kinda pick what I want instinctively.
    I've tried reading two books at once one time. A novel and work of non-fiction, probably political, I can't remember.
    I wasn't bothered by it, but, I was just afraid that I wasn't going to remember everything from both books or that I was going to start mixing up details within both.

I was just wondering how you did it. I guess some people can with no problem.

I had to put down A Renegade History by Thaddeus Russell. I found it to be repetitive and almost desperate. And, in some cases, there was too much detail, and I prefer detail.

He tried too hard and came off, in my opinion, as praising practices such as prostitution and infidelity. Needless to say, I only read about 90 pages before I just had to stop.

So, for the past few weeks I've been reading Angels and Demons, and The Lost Symbol.

Anyone read those by Dan Brown?

I just finished reading Born To Run. It was a really entertaining read with great characters, especially for essentially non-fiction and i'm not even a running nut; but still poured through it over a weekend and closed it out by going for a long run for fun.

I know this thread is infrequently frequented but I have noticed a terrible deficit in my mind regarding logic. I am looking for recommendations on books that do not need to be simple, while lacking in logical analysis I do not lack in comprehension or so the ACT told me, but offer lessons on logic and fallacies both informal and formal. Thanks in advance.

I understand that logic cannot be applied to all things, being as Murray Rothbard put it, a natural rights proponent. It is funny how the word "logic" is bandied about yet, in all my public education, I cannot remember taking a course on logic. Or latin for that matter. What a sham.
    Best of luck in life.

I have less than 50 pages left in George Orwell's "The Road to Wigan Pier". Orwell wasn't right about everything, but I have always loved his commentaries. Even most of his fictional work is based on real life events. Don't know where I'll go when I finish this one though. Really want to read the Fire and Ice series and Atlas Shrugged, but I have stacks of other books I want to read on top of other books I don't have and those two would take so much time.
    ...but when the trumpets blew again and the knights charged, the name they cried was "Stannis! Stannis! STANNIS!"

Robert's Rules of Order, 11th ed.

Dostoevsky's The Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Dystopian View Post
    Dostoevsky's The Idiot.
    For some reason I was never able to get into this book and never finished it. I've loved everything else I've ever read by Dostoevsky. Maybe I should give it another try. I'm reading Dante's Divine Comedy right now. I'm about four cantos into Purgatorio.

24. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pisces View Post
    For some reason I was never able to get into this book and never finished it. I've loved everything else I've ever read by Dostoevsky. Maybe I should give it another try. I'm reading Dante's Divine Comedy right now. I'm about four cantos into Purgatorio.
    SOmetimes when I read Tolstoy or Dostoevsky english translations I feel like I am ingesting vomit. If only I had the mental capacity to learn Russian, and french. I have Shakespeare (Edward D'Veere) and Clemens, perhaps that is enough.

EDIT: And tolkien... never forget the original R.R.
    Best of luck in life.

The Demon Haunted World

Are we on the brink of a new Dark Age of irrationality and superstition? In this stirring, brilliantly argued book, the Pulitzer Prize-winning author of The Dragons of Eden and Cosmos shows how scientific thinking can cut through prejudice and hysteria and uncover the truth, and how it is necessary to safeguard our democratic institutions and our technical civilization.

Noted in the book are Warning signs that suggest deception...

The following are suggested as tools for testing arguments and detecting fallacious or fraudulent arguments:

Wherever possible there must be independent confirmation of the facts.

Encourage substantive debate on the evidence by knowledgeable proponents of all points of view.

Arguments from authority carry little weight (in science there are no "authorities").

Spin more than one hypothesis - don't simply run with the first idea that caught your fancy.

Try not to get overly attached to a hypothesis just because it's yours.

Quantify, wherever possible.

If there is a chain of argument every link in the chain must work.

Occam's razor - if there are two hypotheses that explain the data equally well choose the simpler.

Ask whether the hypothesis can, at least in principle, be falsified (shown to be false by some unambiguous test). In other words, it is testable? Can others duplicate the experiment and get the same result?

Additional issues are:

Conduct control experiments - especially "double blind" experiments where the person taking measurements is not aware of the test and control subjects.

Check for confounding factors - separate the variables.

Common fallacies of logic and rhetoric

Ad hominem - attacking the arguer and not the argument.

Argument from "authority".

Argument from adverse consequences (putting pressure on the decision maker by pointing out dire consequences of an "unfavorable" decision).

Appeal to ignorance (absence of evidence is not evidence of absence).

Special pleading (typically referring to god's will).

Begging the question (assuming an answer in the way the question is phrased).

Observational selection (counting the hits and forgetting the misses).

Statistics of small numbers (such as drawing conclusions from inadequate sample sizes).

Misunderstanding the nature of statistics (President Eisenhower expressing astonishment and alarm on discovering that fully half of all Americans have below average intelligence!)

Inconsistency (e.g. military expenditures based on worst case scenarios but scientific projections on environmental dangers thriftily ignored because they are not "proved").

Non sequitur - "it does not follow" - the logic falls down.

Post hoc, ergo propter hoc - "it happened after so it was caused by" - confusion of cause and effect.

Meaningless question ("what happens when an irresistible force meets an immovable object?).

Excluded middle - considering only the two extremes in a range of possibilities (making the "other side" look worse than it really is).

Short-term v. long-term - a subset of excluded middle ("why pursue fundamental science when we have so huge a budget deficit?").

Slippery slope - a subset of excluded middle - unwarranted extrapolation of the effects (give an inch and they will take a mile).

Confusion of correlation and causation.

Caricaturing (or stereotyping) a position to make it easier to attack.

Suppressed evidence or half-truths.

Weasel words - for example, use of euphemisms for war such as "police action" to get around limitations on Presidential powers. "An important art of politicians is to find new names for institutions which under old names have become odious to the public"
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 01-28-2013 at 12:50 AM.

Eagles' Wings

I am back to reading Scripture every day and the writings of Oswald Chambers. Try reading a chapter of Proverbs for the day of the month, there are 31 chapters.

Proverbs 28:16

"A tyrannical ruler lacks judgment, but he who hates ill-gotten gain will enjoy a long life".

Now I am going to be finishing up a Collection of Essays by Orwell. And I am also reading Stephen Gray's "Ghost Plane".
    ...but when the trumpets blew again and the knights charged, the name they cried was "Stannis! Stannis! STANNIS!"

Lincoln Unmasked.

Creature from Jeckyll Island.

Quote Originally Posted by AgentforPathfinder View Post
    Lincoln Unmasked.

Creature from Jeckyll Island.
    Pssst. If'n you really want to make like yer on the bus and blend in then try this one.... Babylon's Banksters: The Alchemy of Deep Physics, High Finance and Ancient Religion
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 02-08-2013 at 11:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    Pssst. If'n you really want to make like yer on the bus and blend in then try this one.... Babylon's Banksters: The Alchemy of Deep Physics, High Finance and Ancient Religion
    Right, because I'm not a real libertarian and I'm trolling the forums and just name-dropping random books.

Currently half-way through The Fountianhead.

33. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by AgentforPathfinder View Post
    Right, because I'm not a real libertarian and I'm trolling the forums and just name-dropping random books.
    I'm afraid you lost me on that one. Heck, I'd be hard pressed to find a single libertarian on the whole board who has read the book I shared. Besides. I'm more of a globalist minded dolt. Liberty for everyone is my motto.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 02-08-2013 at 02:53 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast