Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Diet

Primal Diet

I"m hoping to be able to afford to start doing the Primal Diet in a few months.

I'm wondering if any of you have done this and what your experiences are? What food can you still eat? Did cave men have honey and green tea?

Thank you in advance,

JFKIII
    I am the spoon.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    did you consider doing a search on the site before starting this thread?

Just stick with the meats, fruits , nuts , eggs , fish , shellfish and vegetables and that is it ??

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    did you consider doing a search on the site before starting this thread?
    I prefer updated info/ experiences. If nobody started a thread that had been made before this site would've died a long time ago.
    I am the spoon.

Yeah there's been a few threads on this already

I have been primal for almost two years now. Made a new man out of me. After meditation, it is the single most important lifestyle change I would suggest to people.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

Primal for almost 2 months.

(well, not entirely. I still can't break the Diet Pepsi habit. I plan on breaking that once I hit a plateau.)

I've lost 29 lbs and feel great! It's a little expensive (at least the way I do it) and it takes a little planning, but it's worth it! My wife was skeptical, but has now joined in. I'm almost never hungry. I eat twice a day and have some nuts or jerky as a snack every now and then.

I eat mostly meat, but I try to eat as many vegetables as I can. I try to get as much grass-fed beef as possible.

Lunch is usually a salad with lots of bacon, eggs, avocado, chicken or steak, and some no carb dressing. Dinner is usually some grilled meat or fish and a small side of asparagus or broccoli. My meat portions are large so I never feel lacking after dinner.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

pcgame

Last edited by pcgame; 07-18-2012 at 11:05 AM.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by pcgame View Post
    why even give it a name

isn't "eating primal" the same as having 80% or more of the food u eat being healthy food

eating vegetables and grass-fed beef isn't anything new tbh

Yeah. Pretty much, if you can't pronounce the ingredients, don't eat it. Just take processed foods, bread, pasta, starches, out of your eating.

If I HAVE to cheat, I will use Splenda, but I only use it because I am in ketosis right now and Splenda is the only thing that won't kick me out of ketosis.

I have been following it since November. Down 30 pounds. Been one of the best things i've ever done. Level energy and focus and not on the carb roller coaster. I've eaten like a king and don't miss the other stuff...well maybe beer! Basically eat eggs and bacon/sausage for breakfast everyday. Lunch is random - i'm not a salad guy so usually get some chicken or turkey and supplement with cheese/nuts at work. Or go out for sushi. (Now will eat rice and potatoes in moderation now that my insulin insensitivity is under control and i've leaned out.) Nights are pick a meat, veggie, wine, etc.

Easy way to remember is to eat whole foods. When at a grocery store, shop around the edges and stay away from the middle.

Also, highly recommend reading either the primal blueprint by sisson or robb wolf's paleo solution so that you understand what and why you are doing what you're doing. It helps with the sticktoitness. Also, don't discount the necessity of: 1. drinking plenty of water. 2. getting consistent, good sleep. 3. walking regularly.

Nutrition is key to a lot of things but if you don't have these others in line you are making life really difficult and won't notice the same results.

Listen to a lot of the podcasts for positive reinforcements.
    "The battle, sir, is not to the strong alone; it is to the vigilant, the active, the brave."
    -- Patrick Henry (speech in the Virginia Convention, 23 March 1775)

Quote Originally Posted by pcgame View Post
    why even give it a name

isn't "eating primal" the same as having 80% or more of the food u eat being healthy food

eating vegetables and grass-fed beef isn't anything new tbh
    Before you can eat 80% healthy food, you need to know what that is. 90% of the population, including most of the medical profession, nutritionists, and government officials, don't know.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    Primal for almost 2 months.

(well, not entirely. I still can't break the Diet Pepsi habit. I plan on breaking that once I hit a plateau.)

I've lost 29 lbs and feel great! It's a little expensive (at least the way I do it) and it takes a little planning, but it's worth it! My wife was skeptical, but has now joined in. I'm almost never hungry. I eat twice a day and have some nuts or jerky as a snack every now and then.

I eat mostly meat, but I try to eat as many vegetables as I can. I try to get as much grass-fed beef as possible.

Lunch is usually a salad with lots of bacon, eggs, avocado, chicken or steak, and some no carb dressing. Dinner is usually some grilled meat or fish and a small side of asparagus or broccoli. My meat portions are large so I never feel lacking after dinner.
    I would definitely enjoy eating like that

I think regular Pepsi would actually be healthier for you.
    I am the spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by crhoades View Post
    I have been following it since November. Down 30 pounds. Been one of the best things i've ever done. Level energy and focus and not on the carb roller coaster. I've eaten like a king and don't miss the other stuff...well maybe beer! Basically eat eggs and bacon/sausage for breakfast everyday. Lunch is random - i'm not a salad guy so usually get some chicken or turkey and supplement with cheese/nuts at work. Or go out for sushi. (Now will eat rice and potatoes in moderation now that my insulin insensitivity is under control and i've leaned out.) Nights are pick a meat, veggie, wine, etc.

Easy way to remember is to eat whole foods. When at a grocery store, shop around the edges and stay away from the middle.

Also, highly recommend reading either the primal blueprint by sisson or robb wolf's paleo solution so that you understand what and why you are doing what you're doing. It helps with the sticktoitness. Also, don't discount the necessity of: 1. drinking plenty of water. 2. getting consistent, good sleep. 3. walking regularly.

Nutrition is key to a lot of things but if you don't have these others in line you are making life really difficult and won't notice the same results.

Listen to a lot of the podcasts for positive reinforcements.
    I'm going to get the Primal Blueprint and Primal Blueprint cookbook.
    I am the spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by John F Kennedy III View Post
    Hey, one piece of advice here...
    I got the Nook version and I'm sorry I did. There are some interesting charts that would be nice to have from time to time and they don't work right on the Nook.

Also, you'll want to reference pages quite often and if you use your reader as much as I do, the damned thing is always going dead right when I want to check a bookmark.

Do yourself a favor and get a paper copy.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

I would definitely enjoy eating like that

I think regular Pepsi would actually be healthier for you.
    I think with the paleo or atkins diet there is some guideline of keeping your daily carb intake below 20g or 30g

A can of pepsi has more than that.

If you need a sugar substitute use stevia, it's a natural extract from a leaf and helps control insulin.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    I think with the paleo or atkins diet there is some guideline of keeping your daily carb intake below 20g or 30g

If you need a sugar substitute use stevia, it's a natural extract from a leaf and helps control insulin.
    The below 20g carb rule is Atkins induction phase.

A can of Pepsi would blow that out of the water.
    Well, I got Rand started on his campaign (just search around here to see). I advised Thomas Massie before he ran for Congress. I am currently advising 2 liberty campaigns for the state legislature. I ran the war-room and won Minnesota for Ron Paul a few weeks back. There are other things I'm probably forgetting.
    Yet I can't afford $200 to go to a seminar--Matt Collins

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post

No need to count carbs in primal. There are just some classes of foods you don't eat at all - refined sugar and HFCS being very much in the category of "no". Stevia is fine, if you like it. I don't. If you eliminate certain classes of food from your diet and use moderation with others, your carb intake will take care of itself.

I can sell:

The Primal Blueprint: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/098...pf_rd_i=283155

Primal Bluprint 21 day Transformation http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/098...=ATVPDKIKX0DER .

Primal Blueprint Cookbook http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/098...pf_rd_i=283155 and the

They are brand new...never used. I don't think they have even been cracked open or have fingerprints on them...lol. I bought 2 sets of books a couple months ago. One for myself and one for my sister for her b-day. I forgot to take them when I went and visited her on the other side of the state. I ended up buying her another set at a book store so I didn't feel like an idiot having nothing for her.

If you or anyone is interested in them, I can sell and ship them. Right now they would cost $50.31 w/tax thru Amazon. I'll sell mine for $35.00 total. Anyone who's interested can pm me.

Quote Originally Posted by PatriotOne View Post
    I can sell:

Primal Bluprint 21 day Transformation http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/098...=ATVPDKIKX0DER .

Primal Blueprint Cookbook http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/098...pf_rd_i=283155 and the

They are brand new...never used. I don't think they have even been cracked open or have fingerprints on them...lol. I bought 2 sets of books a couple months ago. One for myself and one for my sister for her b-day. I forgot to take them when I went and visited her on the other side of the state. I ended up buying her another set at a book store so I didn't feel like an idiot having nothing for her.

If you or anyone is interested in them, I can sell and ship them. Right now they would cost $50.31 w/tax thru Amazon. I'll sell mine for $35.00 total. Anyone who's interested can pm me.
    Yes, these books are fantastic. But if you don't want to buy them, check out the author's site, MarksDailyApple.com. He updates it almost everyday and there's a lot of free info.

Quote Originally Posted by Acala View Post
    No need to count carbs in primal. There are just some classes of foods you don't eat at all - refined sugar and HFCS being very much in the category of "no". Stevia is fine, if you like it. I don't. If you eliminate certain classes of food from your diet and use moderation with others, your carb intake will take care of itself.
    Ya well I just drank a 24 oz can of pure coconut water that was 26g, and I think that stuff's awesome. Pepsi not so much.

I've toyed with the idea of trying paleo for a little bit to see what happened, since whenever I eat more than one meal with meat (especially non-seafood) in a span of a couple weeks or so my metabolism usually slows down for weeks or months, I gain 10 lbs, and within 3-6 months of sticking strictly to veggie will eventually work it off. I think I'd still do select dairy products, though, and occasional rice type of grain.

I did have a paleo dinner last night (half a rack of lamb, a piece of kobe beef burger no bun and green beans)

And just had a kick-ass paleo salad for lunch (arugula, spinach, butter lettuce, grated carrots, beats, zucchini, tomato, avocado, olive oil, balsamic, salt, pepper)

I'm gonna try and make some paleo macaroons.
    Last edited by dannno; 07-02-2012 at 03:59 PM.
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Good luck OP. If you develop hypothyroidism, give a high carb diet a try.

Quote Originally Posted by jj- View Post
    Is that your experience? Suspicion? 2nd/1st hand information?
    Well, I got Rand started on his campaign (just search around here to see). I advised Thomas Massie before he ran for Congress. I am currently advising 2 liberty campaigns for the state legislature. I ran the war-room and won Minnesota for Ron Paul a few weeks back. There are other things I'm probably forgetting.

Or they can take dessicated cow thyroid, grass fed of course
    Last edited by dannno; 07-03-2012 at 05:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sevin View Post
    Yes, these books are fantastic. But if you don't want to buy them, check out the author's site, MarksDailyApple.com. He updates it almost everyday and there's a lot of free info.
    They are helpful for someone who's new to the whole low carb thing though. Turns out I could have probably done without the books since I was such an Atkins expert. I could have easily just used Mark's website and found the differences. It would have been very confusing for me without my extensive background doing low carb though and learning the science through Atkins books. Not impossible, but more difficult for sure!

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kluge View Post
    Is that your experience? Suspicion? 2nd/1st hand information?
    Not my experience. Just the most common complain among those who were not successful with the diet at paleohacks.com.

Not my experience. Just the most common complain among those who were not successful with the diet at paleohacks.com.
    Wasn't familiar with that site...thanks!

Chester Copperpot

Well FWIW... I never heard of primal before but awhile back I was listening to some Jack Lalanne.. and I just decided to not eat anything he wouldnt... WHich turned out to be pasta, rice, breads, sugary crap, etc.. and basically lost 4lbs a week for 6 weeks where I played around with it and changed it up.. Now I started again last week and lost 5lbs in one week..

The only thing different I did this time was eliminate all grains (like primal) even whole grains... and basically eat a couple meals a day with chicken and vegetables.. and snack on fruits and nuts and am never hungry..

I weigh in at 245lbs at 6' 3"... Figure Ive got another 45lbs to go before Im pretty leaned out... so at this pace 9 more weeks..
    its really not hard.. I dont miss stuff.. dont have cravings for sugar.. nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    Hey, one piece of advice here...
    I got the Nook version and I'm sorry I did. There are some interesting charts that would be nice to have from time to time and they don't work right on the Nook.

Also, you'll want to reference pages quite often and if you use your reader as much as I do, the damned thing is always going dead right when I want to check a bookmark.

Do yourself a favor and get a paper copy.
    Oh I've never owned a Nook or Kindle. All my books are the real thing
    I am the spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by PatriotOne View Post
    I can sell:

I'm broke so I will have to bump this for someone else to buy. BUY THEM DEAR FORUM READER! BUY THEM RIGHT MEOW!
    I am the spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Mitrosky View Post
    Well FWIW... I never heard of primal before but awhile back I was listening to some Jack Lalanne.. and I just decided to not eat anything he wouldnt... WHich turned out to be pasta, rice, breads, sugary crap, etc.. and basically lost 4lbs a week for 6 weeks where I played around with it and changed it up.. Now I started again last week and lost 5lbs in one week..

The only thing different I did this time was eliminate all grains (like primal) even whole grains... and basically eat a couple meals a day with chicken and vegetables.. and snack on fruits and nuts and am never hungry..

I weigh in at 245lbs at 6' 3"... Figure Ive got another 45lbs to go before Im pretty leaned out... so at this pace 9 more weeks..
    its really not hard.. I dont miss stuff.. dont have cravings for sugar.. nothing.
    Awesome. Jack lived to be 96.
    I am the spoon.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast