Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Inside the mind of a SWAT cop

There is a certain mental attitude that the people entering into this kind of occupation have. Just like people in the entertainment business need adulation and recognition and the people in politics need power.

The guy is sick - literally mentally off. He is a bully and a chicken $#@!. Easy to be so brave when you have 9 other guys with you fully dressed in combat gear carrying weapons citizens are not even allowed to own. Then enter into a house where people are sleeping with children and disarmed.

The guy is a piece of $#@! no different than a Nazi or any other form of totalitarian scum. Judgement day will come some day and I hope you rot in hell.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Figured I add this and give AF's post a bump also. Many a same talking points.

This could be added to AF "The mind of a SWAT officer" thread. I suppose ya could make this $#@! up. Then again life is more $#@!ed than any fiction.

Not a chokehold: Truth of the Garner arrest
    By Bo DietlAugust 14, 2014 | 4:50am

It wasn’t a chokehold.

That’s just the biggest single distortion in all the talk about the Eric Garner case, in which the public has been misinformed and misled from the start.
    The Rev. Al Sharpton has never had to put himself in harm’s way to protect our streets against crime, as our police officers do every day. He’s in no way qualified to stand on his soapbox and dictate procedures.

I spent decades in law enforcement. During my time with the NYPD, I was responsible for over 1,400 felony arrests — any of which could’ve required the use of deadly physical force.

Volunteering to be a decoy cop in the 1970s, I was the victim of more than 500 muggings, about 30 of which injured me seriously enough that I was hospitalized. I wound up in countless physical situations and was always able to get the perp into cuffs.

Now, as owner of a security company here in the city, I consult for police departments across the country.

I’ve served as co-chairman of the National Crime Commission and chairman of the state Security Guard Advisory Council. I have extensive experience when it comes to police procedure, safety and security.

So I speak with some authority on the events surrounding Garner’s attempted arrest and death.

It’s tragic that a life was lost, but I’m outraged at how this incident is being used to hobble the NYPD.

The officers who approached Garner were responding to community complaints about his ongoing activities. When he grew uncooperative and resisted arrest, they followed protocol on taking him into custody.

Officers are required to be as quick as possible in getting a perpetrator into custody so that he has no chance to injure the officer, innocent bystanders or himself.

Garner was 6-foot-3 and 350 pounds. Using a headlock to bring down a man of that size was appropriate.

Headlocks are used in thousands of arrests each year, especially of individuals not cooperating with the police. I used the maneuver in dozens of arrests.

And it was a headlock, not a chokehold. To be a chokehold, there must be constant pressure on the person’s neck, compressing his windpipe or cutting off the flow of blood to the carotid artery, rendering him unconscious.

Watch the video: It’s obvious that the arresting officer put his arm around Garner’s neck to bring him to the ground — but once Garner was on the ground, he was still conscious and able to say he couldn’t breathe.

That’s when the officers called for medical back-up. Tragically, the EMS personnel failed to administer oxygen or to ascertain that Garner was asthmatic and use an inhaler to assist with his breathing.

A top medical examiner (who can’t publicly fault the city ME) tells me it was very irresponsible for the Medical Examiner’s Office to issue the press release stating that Garner’s death was caused by a chokehold (with asthma, heart disease and obesity as contributing factors) and ruling his death a homicide.

Two big points: 1) The final autopsy report hasn’t been released. We don’t have the full story, just headlines. 2) “Homicide” only means that one person has caused the death of another.

The term has no bearing on intent or recklessness. The ME’s press release only poured oil on an already fiery situation.

Again, it’s unfortunate that a life was lost — but to blame Garner’s death on the officers doing their job is ridiculous.

Whatever crime you’re accused of, whether selling untaxed cigarettes or murder, you must comply with an officer making a lawful arrest. (Anyone who believes he’s been unlawfully arrested can appeal to the well-oiled machine of the Civilian Complaint Review Board.)

It’s not your right to disregard an officer’s order.

Also note that the man credited with recording the Garner video was himself later arrested for gun possession, and had 26 priors.

This doesn’t discredit the video, but it does tell us that the neighborhood where the tragedy unfolded is dangerous. And the point of cracking down on “small” crimes like selling loosies is to keep the neighborhood from going further downhill.

Tell officers not to enforce “minor” laws, and the surrounding community will grow more dangerous. Yet that is exactly what the Rev. Sharpton is demanding — an end to “broken windows” policing.

I speak to patrol officers daily; they increasingly don’t want to get involved.

If you have to second-guess your actions in taking down an assailant, that second guess allows just enough time for the assailant to possibly get a gun out — and pose a deadly threat to you and to nearby civilians. We can’t ask our officers to walk on eggshells while protecting this city.

Yes, the NYPD can make some changes — do more training in the use of force and different techniques for effecting arrests, and in how to be more courteous when stopping, questioning or (when necessary, and it sometimes is) frisking a civilian.

But this is already the most professional urban police force in America. The mayor needs to start supporting his commissioner and his officers.
    They’ve earned it.

Nor was this tragic accident a racial incident. Police officers have no color.

They’re not black, white, Hispanic or whatever: They’re a cohesive group of men and women who put their life on the line every day for the protection of the law-abiding citizens of this great city.

Commissioner Bill Bratton is responsible for launching the drastic improvement in the safety of this city in the 1990s, safety we’ve come to take for granted today.

Listen to him, Mr. Mayor — and don’t ever again force him to take a public chastising from Al Sharpton on how to go about keeping this city safe.

If you instead bend to the pressure to further hobble the NYPD, you’ll soon have problems much worse than having Sharpton as your enemy.

Bo Dietl, a retired NYPD detective, is CEO of Beau Dietl & Associates.
    http://nypost.com/2014/08/14/not-a-c...garner-arrest/

Trained to be soldiers in a war, they are not trained to sustain peace.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/HrrSMKa...yer_detailpage kinda reminds me of how anakin started off "good" but his ego and intention to create safety and security over others ultimately made him sacrifice sanity .no man is an island.
    people who work for a paycheck and ultimately think they are doing the greater good for society. egotistical basically, whether they know it or not.

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post

This is the biggest pile of fail article I've read in a long time. I don't even want to comment on it.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post

This is the biggest pile of fail article I've read in a long time. I don't even want to comment on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mani View Post
    Fail to you or I. Fap worthy to the "law and order" types.

Thanks Phill

This should be stickied at the top of this subsection so folks cruising through know what they are up against. I have looked for this thread and article for rebuttal to something off forum before and had a devil of a time recalling what the thread was titled to find it.
    We will be known forever by the tracks we leave. - Dakota

Go Forward With Courage

When you are in doubt, be still, and wait;
    when doubt no longer exists for you, then go forward with courage.
    So long as mists envelop you, be still;
    be still until the sunlight pours through and dispels the mists
    -- as it surely will.
    Then act with courage.

Ponca Chief White Eagle

i second need to sticky. Also a hard thread to find.

15. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Mind~~~~~~~~Swat Cop ?

I don't get it?
    Just trying to help.

“[T]he enshrinement of constitutional rights necessarily takes certain policy choices off the table.” (Heller, 554 U.S., at ___, 128 S.Ct., at 2822.)

How long before "going liberal" replaces "going postal"?

Quote Originally Posted by mrsat_98 View Post
    Just trying to help.
    Anybody who actually convinces themselves that they're doing public good serving warrants gestapo style really does have $#@! for brains...

The ones who enjoy it are some genuinely sick $#@!s worthy of being put down like rabid dogs.......

Mind~~~~~~~~Swat Cop ?

I don't get it?
    Anybody who actually convinces themselves that they're doing public good serving warrants gestapo style really does have $#@! for brains...

The ones who enjoy it are some genuinely sick $#@!s worthy of being put down like rabid dogs.......
    Dammit Todd ! You know it's for the children.
    “[T]he enshrinement of constitutional rights necessarily takes certain policy choices off the table.” (Heller, 554 U.S., at ___, 128 S.Ct., at 2822.)

How long before "going liberal" replaces "going postal"?

Quote Originally Posted by moostraks View Post
    This should be stickied at the top of this subsection so folks cruising through know what they are up against. I have looked for this thread and article for rebuttal to something off forum before and had a devil of a time recalling what the thread was titled to find it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mani View Post
    i second need to sticky. Also a hard thread to find.
    I third that.

It's my thread and it slips my mind how to find it as well.

"Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Dr. Ron Paul. "Stand up for what you believe in, even if you are standing alone." - Sophie Magdalena Scholl
    "War is the health of the State." - Randolph Bourne "Freedom is the answer. ... Now, what's the question?" - Ernie Hancock.

I had an occasion,, back in 1995,,
    to drank a beer with the Monroe County Tactical Unit (Fl.),, and we had a good laugh about them being there to arrest me.

They did,, but it was all very polite. (I was able to finish a 40,, and smoked a couple cigs,, before they put cuffs on)

what a difference a few years made.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Jackboots in the Morning: No One Is Spared From This American Nightmare

------------

https://rutherford.org/publications_...ican_nightmare

“This is jackboots in the morning. This is an American nightmare
    that they would arrest somebody like this.”—Judge Andrew Napolitano
    The American Police State does not discriminate.

Whatever dangerous practices you allow the government to carry out now—whether it’s in the name of national security or protecting America’s borders or making America great again—rest assured, these same practices can and will be used against you when the government decides to set its sights on you.

We’ve been having this same debate about the perils of government overreach for the past 50-plus years, and still we don’t seem to learn, or if we learn, we learn too late.

For too long now, the American people have allowed their personal prejudices and politics to cloud their judgment and render them incapable of seeing that the treatment being doled out by the government’s lethal enforcers has remained consistent, no matter the threat.

All of the excessive, abusive tactics employed by the government today—warrantless surveillance, stop and frisk searches, SWAT team raids, roadside strip searches, asset forfeiture schemes, private prisons, indefinite detention, militarized police, etc.—will eventually be meted out on the general populace.

At that point, when you find yourself in the government’s crosshairs, it will not matter whether your skin is black or yellow or brown or white; it will not matter whether you’re an immigrant or a citizen; it will not matter whether you’re rich or poor; it will not matter whether you’re Republican or Democrat; and it certainly won’t matter who you voted for in the last presidential election.

At that point—at the point you find yourself subjected to dehumanizing, demoralizing, thuggish behavior by government bureaucrats who are hyped up on the power of their badges and empowered to detain, search, interrogate, threaten and generally harass anyone they see fit—remember you were warned.

Take Roger Stone, one of President Trump’s longtime supporters, for example.

This is a guy accused of witness tampering, obstruction of justice and lying to Congress.

As far as we know, this guy is not the kingpin of a violent mob or drug-laundering scheme. He’s been charged with a political crime. So what does the FBI do? They send 29 heavily armed agents in 17 vehicles to carry out a SWAT-style raid on Stone’s Florida home just before dawn on Jan. 25, 2019.

As the Boston Herald reports:

“After his arraignment on witness tampering, obstruction and lying
    to Congress, a rattled Stone was quoted as saying 29 agents ‘pounded
    on the door,’ pointed automatic weapons at him and ‘terrorized’ his
    wife and dogs. Stone was taken away in handcuffs, the sixth
    associate of President Trump to be indicted in Special Counsel
    Robert Mueller’s probe into Russian meddling in the 2016 election.
    All the charges have been related to either lying or tax evasion,
    with no evidence of so-called ‘collusion’ with Russia emerging to
    date.”
    Overkill? Sure.

Yet another example of government overreach and brutality? Definitely.

But here’s the thing: while Tucker Carlson and Chris Christie and other Trump apologists appear shocked that law enforcement personnel would stage a military assault against “an unarmed 66-year-old man who has been charged with a nonviolent crime,” this is nothing new.

Indeed, this is blowback, one more vivid example of how the government’s short-sighted use of immoral, illegal and unconstitutional tactics become dangerous weapons turned against the American people.

To be clear, this Stone raid is far from the first time a SWAT team has been employed in non-violent scenarios.

Nationwide, SWAT teams routinely invade homes, break down doors, kill family pets (they always shoot the dogs first), damage furnishings, terrorize families, and wound or kill those unlucky enough to be present during a raid.

Payton, a 7-year-old black Labrador retriever, and 4-year-old Chase, also a black Lab, were shot and killed after a SWAT team mistakenly raided the mayor’s home while searching for drugs. Police shot Payton four times. Chase was shot twice, once from behind as he ran away. “My government blew through my doors and killed my dogs. They thought we were drug dealers, and we were treated as such. I don't think they really ever considered that we weren’t,” recalls Mayor Cheye Calvo, who described being handcuffed and interrogated for hours—wearing only underwear and socks—surrounded by the dogs’ carcasses and pools of the dogs’ blood.

SWAT teams have been employed to address an astonishingly trivial array of so-called criminal activity or mere community nuisances: angry dogs, domestic disputes, improper paperwork filed by an orchid farmer, and misdemeanor marijuana possession, to give a brief sampling. In some instances, SWAT teams are even employed, in full armament, to perform routine patrols.

If these raids are becoming increasingly common and widespread, you can chalk it up to the “make-work” philosophy, in which you assign at-times unnecessary jobs to individuals to keep them busy or employed. In this case, however, the make-work principle is being used to justify the use of sophisticated military equipment and, in the process, qualify for federal funding.

SWAT teams originated as specialized units dedicated to defusing extremely sensitive, dangerous situations. They were never meant to be used for routine police work such as serving a warrant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

At that point, when you find yourself in the government’s crosshairs, it will not matter whether your skin is black or yellow or brown or white; it will not matter whether you’re an immigrant or a citizen; it will not matter whether you’re rich or poor; it will not matter whether you’re Republican or Democrat; and it certainly won’t matter who you voted for in the last presidential election.
    In this Balkanized, broken republic, that is probably the only thing any of us have in common any more.

24. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    In this Balkanized, broken republic, that is probably the only thing any of us have in common any more.
    If we had a lick of sense, that would be more than enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123