Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rand Paul's new article "Opposing Unconstitutional Wars" criticizes Romney

Rand Paul's new article "Opposing Unconstitutional Wars" criticizes Romney

Opposing Unconstitutional Wars
    By Sen. Rand Paul
    June 19, 2012 4:00 P.M.

Much has been speculated and written since my endorsement of Mitt Romney for president. Many in the liberty movement and my longtime supporters wondered if, as a result of endorsing someone for office, I would stand up to them when they went astray.

The question to me is as strange as the answer is simple: Yes, strongly. Every time.

I have always done what I believe and I have never been blinded by party. In my time in the United States Senate, I have opposed the USA Patriot Act, voted against the NDAA over indefinite detention, fought to end mandatory minimum drug sentences, and voted against my party’s official budget because it didn’t cut enough spending.

I introduced a resolution against an unconstitutional war in Libya, and tried to repeal the authorization for the unconstitutional war before that in Iraq.

I don’t believe any fair look at my record will show blind partisanship — or partisanship of any kind. I have worked with Senate Democrats on civil liberties, and the House Black Caucus on the drug war. I have fought alongside the ACLU on civil liberties, and at times, I have fought all by myself on federalism issues.

I endorsed Governor Romney for many reasons, not the least of which is that we simply cannot afford four more years of President Obama. Obamacare, Dodd-Frank, an out-of-control EPA and NLRB, and trillion-dollar deficits are combining to strangle our economy. I am afraid if that chokehold is not released quickly, our country may quickly follow Europe into destruction. Anyone who doesn’t believe there is a difference between the two candidates on economic issues is simply not looking or not being honest with their assessments.

Where I don’t know if there is as much of a difference as I would like is foreign policy.

Let’s first be clear: President Obama was elected on a platform of ending wars, yet he has opposed every effort made by me and others in the Senate to do that. He opposed my resolution to end the Iraq War. He has refused my urgings to end the war in Afghanistan more quickly. He started another war in Libya, and this time went further into unconstitutional territory than previous presidents by not even seeking Congressional approval whatsoever.

I opposed him when he did that. Anyone who believes President Obama is less aggressive internationally than his predecessors is mistaken.

I do not yet know if I will find a Romney presidency more acceptable on foreign policy. But I do know that I must oppose the most recent statements made by Mitt Romney in which he says he, as president, could take us to war unilaterally with Iran, without any approval from Congress. His exact words were:

I can assure you if I’m president, the Iranians will have no question but that I will be willing to take military action if necessary to prevent them from becoming a nuclear threat to the world. I don’t believe at this stage, therefore, if I’m president that we need to have a war powers approval or special authorization for military force. The president has that capacity now.

This is a misreading of the role of the president and Congress in declaring war.

The Constitution clearly states that it is Congress that has the power to declare war, not the president. The War Powers Act also clearly states that U.S. forces are to engage in hostilities only if the circumstances are “pursuant to (1) a declaration of war, (2) specific statutory authorization or (3) a national emergency created by attack upon the United States, its territories or possessions, or its armed forces.”

Absent these criteria, the president has no authority to declare war.

Even if the president believes he has such authority, the War Powers Act goes on to require the president to seek congressional approval within 60 days of conflict.

No president is above the law or above the Constitution.

Our Founding Fathers were quite concerned about giving the power to declare war to the executive. They were quite concerned that the executive could rule like a king.

Before sending our young men and women into combat, we should have a mature and thoughtful debate over the ramifications, the authorization, and the motives of the war. James Madison wrote that the Constitution supposes what history demonstrates, that the executive is the branch most interested in war and most prone to it. The Constitution, therefore, with studied care vested that power in the legislature.

I will hold accountable and oppose any actions from any president, Republican or Democrat, if he declares war without congressional consent.
    http://www.nationalreview.com/corner...-sen-rand-paul
    Last edited by jct74; 06-19-2012 at 02:19 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

Neoconservative traitor!!!

I am at liberty to vote as my conscience and judgement dictates to be right, without the yoke of any party on me... Look at my arms, you will find no party hand-cuff on them! - Davy Crockett

I have always done what I believe and I have never been blinded by party... I don’t believe any fair look at my record will show blind partisanship — or partisanship of any kind. - Rand Paul
    Last edited by tfurrh; 06-19-2012 at 02:54 PM.
    "It's probably the biggest hoax since Big Foot!" - Mitt Romney 1-16-2012 SC Debate

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Paul
    We had a very good and I think honest discussion about a lot of these things and I came away from a feeling that he will be a very responsible commander-in-chief. I don't think he will be reckless, I don't think he will be rash.
    Last edited by jj-; 06-19-2012 at 02:52 PM.

Now that's the Rand Paul I like to see! That's the one I want continuing his work in the Senate and possibly, someday, running for president.
    Courage ~ Strength ~ Integrity
    RON PAUL 2012
    ----------------------
    Visit Planet ToLive
    ----------------------
    It's Thirteen O'Clock
    ----------------------
    "I am surprised at the suddenness, as well as the greatness of this revolution. Is not the change we have seen astonishing? What man, two years ago, would have thought it possible?"
    - John Adams, July 3, 1776

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by jj- View Post
    Yeah but having given Romney the benefit of the doubt, he can openly criticize without sour grapes. It shifts the focus on Romney, and his going astray.

Anyway, it's good this made front page of National Review.

Don't you think he's in a better position to make that call than you?
    It's just an opinion... man...

We had a very good and I think honest discussion about a lot of these things and I came away from a feeling that he will be a very responsible commander-in-chief. I don't think he will be reckless, I don't think he will be rash.

Now think of how this will be received by the general GOPer. Same article, with an endorsement, and same article, without an endorsement.

Which is more effective at persuading them?
    Last edited by gerryb; 06-19-2012 at 03:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NoOneButPaul View Post
    Don't you think he's in a better position to make that call than you?
    Somebody who denies Congress must declare a war before fighting already is an extremely irresponsible commander-in-chief.

www.randpac.com

Anyway, an excellent op-ed by the Senator from KY.
    Last edited by Cowlesy; 06-19-2012 at 08:40 PM.
    "Your mother's dead, before long I'll be dead, and you...and your brother and your sister and all of her children, all of us dead, all of us..rotting in the ground. It's the family name that lives on. It's all that lives on. Not your personal glory, not your honor, but family." - Tywin Lannister

Quote Originally Posted by FSP-Rebel View Post
    Maybe the haters can step back from the cliff now.

Maybe...but I'm sure Rand knew it would only be a matter of time before he would have to do this, lol.
    EX-USCG

What is the difference between a hero and a cop? A hero will not hesitate to risk his life to protect your safety, a cop will not hesitate to risk your life to protect his safety.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Authoritarian leftists. Political prisoners. Gulags. Where are we again?

Somebody who denies Congress must declare a war before fighting already is an extremely irresponsible commander-in-chief.
    And yet, both Obama and romney are almost equally douchey on this topic. Obama is slightly worse because he has already created a war without any declaration. romney has only used rhetoric.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by coastie View Post
    Maybe...but I'm sure Rand knew it would only be a matter of time before he would have to do this, lol.
    Exactly. Anyone who can't see that was part of the plan.. is not going to be politically effective without putting some training wheels on..

Quote Originally Posted by FSP-Rebel View Post
    Maybe the haters can step back from the cliff now.
    They'll claim they pressured Rand into doing the right thing.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    They'll claim they pressured Rand into doing the right thing.
    Courage ~ Strength ~ Integrity
    RON PAUL 2012
    ----------------------
    Visit Planet ToLive
    ----------------------
    It's Thirteen O'Clock
    ----------------------
    "I am surprised at the suddenness, as well as the greatness of this revolution. Is not the change we have seen astonishing? What man, two years ago, would have thought it possible?"
    - John Adams, July 3, 1776

pcgame

Last edited by pcgame; 08-04-2012 at 09:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    Neoconservative traitor!!!
    LOL.
    Last edited by anaconda; 06-19-2012 at 03:28 PM.

I was fairly sure that the "endorsement" was no more than Rand's own personal green light to lambast Mittens at every turn. For four years if necessary.
    Last edited by anaconda; 06-19-2012 at 03:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by anaconda View Post
    I was fairly sure that the "endorsement" was no more than Rand's own personal green light to lambast Mittens at every turn. For four years if necessary.
    Funny how some people rush to judgement the way they did but didn't consider the potential upside of this "endorsement." Your point being over and above Rand using R-money, the radio mafia and the establishment drones to his advantage down the line.

Last edited by anaconda; 06-19-2012 at 03:42 PM.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Romney's response: "Lol so wut? You already endorsed me doofus!"
    In short, Rand's response means little if Romney doesn't really give a **** about his response and doesn't reply.
    For the Republic! For the Cause!
    The Truth About Central Banking and Business Cycles
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaxIPPMR3fI#t=186

Quote Originally Posted by Athan View Post
    In short, Rand's response means little if Romney doesn't really give a **** about his response and doesn't reply.
    Are we trying to influence Romney... or someone else?

Quote Originally Posted by Athan View Post
    I don't know. I think Rand's in a better position to criticize Romney on war issues with an endorsement. It's all a matter of what strategy you think will work the best. There are arguments on both sides.

"Anyone who doesn’t believe there is a difference between the two candidates on economic issues is simply not looking or not being honest with their assessments."

I agree with this. Romney is better than Obama on economic issues when he's promised to not raise taxes, to repeal Dodd Frank, repeal Obamacare, allow for additional oil drilling, etc.

However, all of those good positions are canceled out by the fact that Romney wants to attack Iran without even getting Congressional approval. I simply won't compromise on that particular issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Traditional Conservative View Post
    However, all of those good positions are canceled out by the fact that Romney wants to attack Iran without even getting Congressional approval. I simply won't compromise on that particular issue.
    Purist. Did you know that you can vote for a candidate even if you disagree with him on some issues? Attacking Iran is just one issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Sola_Fide View Post
    I don't know. I think Rand's in a better position to criticize Romney on war issues with an endorsement. It's all a matter of what strategy you think will work the best. There are arguments on both sides.
    Or, just maybe... Rand just gave Romney a valid excuse to pull off the greatest flipflop since George Bush's claim to not nationbuild...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast