Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Good Career choices: Should I become a Geologist or an Electrician?

Good Career choices: Should I become a Geologist or an Electrician?

Question for everyone: should I become a geologist or an electrician? I finished my undergrad a couple of years ago and was working in sales. However, the stress of selling something no one needs got to me and now I'm looking to make a switch. I have a family friend that has a connection for me in the local Industrial Electrical Union that could probably get me a job as an apprentice. The alternative is I continue studying for my GRE and go to graduate school for geology. I am worried about wages/the economy for both. I know geologists are doing well but what if prices collapse? Also, if I become an electrician, it's possible the industrial places I end up working could close down in a collapse.

Any advice? Thanks!

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Electrician for sure... even in the event of a major breakdown of the present system, electric services will still be in demand.

Only economic reason I can see for going into geology would be for mining and other resource exploitation (e.g. oil). But the number of people needed for that is fairly limited, I think, and Lord knows there must be a surplus of people with geology degrees.

Heres the thing: an apprentice electrician starts at 16$/hr. After two years I'll be at like 22$/hr. However, if i do a masters in Geology, I can graduate and get a job at 70-80,000$ a year. There is a massive demand for them right now. Also, the schooling for a masters degree is paid for by the university, so I won't end up in debt (according to my professor that knew someone that did it).

It just sucks having to start at the bottom again as an apprentice...I could have done that 8 years ago at age 16 instead of 24 (which is how old i am now!).

Depends on where you are located. If you are in the Marcellus belt, I'd say stick with Geology. You'll make a bundle.

However, if you want job security, an electrician's job won't make you wealthy, but you'll never starve either.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Do something you love or become a slave to your job.
    Insanity should be defined as trusting the government to solve a problem they caused in the first place. Please do not go insane!

pcgame

Last edited by pcgame; 06-23-2012 at 06:54 PM.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by TonySutton View Post
    Do something you love or become a slave to your job.
    Very true. Problem is, I have been thinking about what I want to do with my life for 3-4 years on an almost hourly basis - it has become a serious mental problem for me. Something that complicates my decision is knowing the economic situation we are in and that if I don't pick right I am going to be screwed and not be able to take care of a family.

Another thing to add in is I want to move to a warm climate (Australia, California/Florida). I'm tired of cold winters and get depressed at the lack of sun here in Canada. I know I could go where electricians are in huge demand (Australia) but that would take 4-5 years until I complete my training. Whereas in Geology, I could move there after I finish 2 years of school.

I've heard - You can get paid for what you do; or you can get paid for what you know.

I've always believed it is better to get paid for what you know. Your body will almost always wear out before your mind does.

Go Geologist if you have an interest in that field. It will take longer, but it's a better investment in your mind.

(this is my opinion only and I have nothing but respect for Electricians - if there are any here it would be great to hear from your experience)
    Let's move forward to the Constitution.. I am the new GOP. I stand with Rand.

Eagles' Wings

Quote Originally Posted by TheOraclePaul View Post
    Another thing to add in is I want to move to a warm climate (Australia, California/Florida). I'm tired of cold winters and get depressed at the lack of sun here in Canada. I know I could go where electricians are in huge demand (Australia) but that would take 4-5 years until I complete my training. Whereas in Geology, I could move there after I finish 2 years of school.
    You seem to know yourself well. You've done the research. Is it possible to work in both fields? Get the apprenticeship and work there while going to grad school? Oh, and good that you are single while figuring this out. Best to you!

Supporting Member
    North Carolina

Be sure you can find work as a geologist. You can find work as an electrician many places.
    Equality is a false god.

Armatissimi e Liberissimi

Personally, I'd go for electrician. Study geology on the side.
    Well, I got Rand started on his campaign (just search around here to see). I advised Thomas Massie before he ran for Congress. I am currently advising 2 liberty campaigns for the state legislature. I ran the war-room and won Minnesota for Ron Paul a few weeks back. There are other things I'm probably forgetting.
    Yet I can't afford $200 to go to a seminar--Matt Collins

I know a retired geology professor. He retired several years ago at age 50, lives on an island next to a national park, owns a couple of fairly large boats along with his house (all paid for in cash), and has a hobby/business he enjoys that keeps him busy in the winter months.

Either trade/profession has good earning potential. Which one would you enjoy more and, to a lesser degree, do you want to live in a specific place?
    Last edited by Tod; 06-12-2012 at 11:03 AM.
    "Sorry, fellows, the rebellion is off. We couldn't get a rebellion permit."

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Take your best shot and decide . Electrician is a good job . Geology would be more fun . When I was young I was practical , I am old now and not so concerned , all of my kids are grown and out of school. Best of luck to you !

Geology is less likely to be effected by a glut of cheap, imported labor.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Not an expert on either industry... But with geology, you will probably get one of two jobs. You will probably be a professor or you will most probably work for the mining/oil industries. If you have ethical qualms about selling junk to people who don't need it, then you could have qualms with finding deposits/oils in areas in which the ground water table could be put at risk. Your job security will also be pretty dependent on the price of oil/natural resources which explains why geology is on the upswing now. You might watch the documentary Gasland as a sample of what you may experience.

If you are serious about geology, thoroughly investigate the placement data for graduates for your school and major. You may consider finding another school which has a stronger geology/industry integration and would make you more marketable when you get out of school.

I dabbled with the idea of a geology major when I was in school...but the placement data was awful...it very well could be that times have changed though. My vote would be for the apprenticeship.

Quote Originally Posted by rpwi View Post
    Not an expert on either industry... But with geology, you will probably get one of two jobs. You will probably be a professor or you will most probably work for the mining/oil industries. If you have ethical qualms about selling junk to people who don't need it, then you could have qualms with finding deposits/oils in areas in which the ground water table could be put at risk. Your job security will also be pretty dependent on the price of oil/natural resources which explains why geology is on the upswing now. You might watch the documentary Gasland as a sample of what you may experience.

If you are serious about geology, thoroughly investigate the placement data for graduates for your school and major. You may consider finding another school which has a stronger geology/industry integration and would make you more marketable when you get out of school.

I dabbled with the idea of a geology major when I was in school...but the placement data was awful...it very well could be that times have changed though. My vote would be for the apprenticeship.
    The placement data is pretty good for MASTERS graduates. Undergrad, I think that there are a lot of them so it's much more difficult to find a job. I would be attending one of the top 5 geology schools in the country: Colorado School of Mines, University of Colorado at Boulder, University of California Berkeley...etc... All research I've done was geared towards job prospects after graduation, and those schools had the 1. highest starting salaries and 2. highest ratings for geology education. They are also schools where the big companies do most of their hirings.

I'm still as confused as ever though. It sucks because I think I would be a great wealth manager, but I don't want to deal with bureaucracy which is what the banks offer. I've been great at managing my own money (50$K in savings) despite only really working part time jobs and putting myself through university.

Funny thing about all this is if I were to follow my heart I'd probably do something involving marine fish. I love scuba diving and ever since I was a kid have been completely fascinated with sea life. Part of the reason I want to do Geology is as a compromise: I could live somewhere warm where I get to scuba dive often, but still make more money than a marine biologist.

Question for everyone: should I become a geologist or an electrician? I finished my undergrad a couple of years ago and was working in sales. However, the stress of selling something no one needs got to me and now I'm looking to make a switch. I have a family friend that has a connection for me in the local Industrial Electrical Union that could probably get me a job as an apprentice. The alternative is I continue studying for my GRE and go to graduate school for geology. I am worried about wages/the economy for both. I know geologists are doing well but what if prices collapse? Also, if I become an electrician, it's possible the industrial places I end up working could close down in a collapse.

Any advice? Thanks!
    What in HELL would you do as a geologist?

Electrician all the way if you are of a practical bent.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    What in HELL would you do as a geologist?

Electrician all the way if you are of a practical bent.
    Work for one of the many mining/oil/gas companies? Work for environmental consulting companies? Work for the government in environmental roles? Many different things you could do with the designation.

flip a coin and be diligent in the outcome. guaranteed happiness.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Funny thing about all this is if I were to follow my heart I'd probably do something involving marine fish. I love scuba diving and ever since I was a kid have been completely fascinated with sea life. Part of the reason I want to do Geology is as a compromise: I could live somewhere warm where I get to scuba dive often, but still make more money than a marine biologist.
    They need electricity in warm places too! And there's absolutely nothing stopping you from studying marine biology on the side. I think you'll be amazed that you'll be able to learn more marine biology on your own than in a structured education. It can also leave your mind far more open.
    Well, I got Rand started on his campaign (just search around here to see). I advised Thomas Massie before he ran for Congress. I am currently advising 2 liberty campaigns for the state legislature. I ran the war-room and won Minnesota for Ron Paul a few weeks back. There are other things I'm probably forgetting.
    Yet I can't afford $200 to go to a seminar--Matt Collins

There you go: Offshore wildcatter! You are closer to your goal than you think!

For me, I'd stick with Geology. If you have any desire for adventure wildcat positions hold a lot of promise and most people don't want to engage in this work. Personally, I work in heavy earthwork so I get where you are coming from with the Geology degree. One thing you might want to consider is going for a MS in Geological Engineering or Geotechnical Engineering as opposed to a straight degree in Geology. Might offer more employment options over the course of your career.

Just my .02
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." —Jonathan Swift

My .16 si do what loves you, Geo-electrysosist.
    Best of luck in life.

Quote Originally Posted by danda View Post
    electrician.
    This^^ There's always going to be demand for that job unless electricity somehow goes out of style.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by danda View Post
    electrician.
    this

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast