Thread: A good candidate: Constitution Party's Presidential Candidate Virgil Goode

A good candidate: Constitution Party's Presidential Candidate Virgil Goode

Submitted by Judge Bartley

There is an interesting article from The American Conservative on Virgil Goode, a former congressman from Virginia. See http://www.theamericanconservative.com/articles/as-goode-as-...

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    So I was looking up this guy out of doubts with Johnson and found a whole host of red flags.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virgil_Goode

Goode's primary policy initiatives were opposition to amnesty for illegal aliens, veterans' healthcare, and the enactment in 2004 of a $9.6 billion buyout for tobacco farmers. Goode has sponsored legislation to permit deployment of the U.S. Armed Forces to the U.S.-Mexico border. He voted in 2002 to authorize the Iraq War and in support of an $87 billion Iraq War supplemental spending bill.
    Goode is an advocate of a federal prohibition of online poker. In 2006, he cosponsored H.R. 4777, the Internet Gambling Prohibition Act.[24]
    Goode voted in 2007 against a resolution opposing the increase in troop numbers in Iraq,[25] saying that he didn't want to "aid and assist the Islamic jihadists who want the green flag of the crescent and star to wave over the Capitol of the United States and over the White House of this country" and that "radical Muslims" wanted to control the world and put "In Muhammad We Trust" on American currency.[26]

Yikes!

Goode is slightly better than Romney, but in my opinion he's probably the worst candidate the Constitution Party has ever nominated.

He made some bad decisions in the past, but I think he has seen and admitted his faults. Definitely not as bad as his votes.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaAvenger View Post
    He made some bad decisions in the past, but I think he has seen and admitted his faults. Definitely not as bad as his votes.
    Voting records are all we can believe. I'm sorry but words from a politician are worthless.
    Last edited by unklejman; 09-11-2012 at 05:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by unklejman View Post
    Voting record all we can believe. I'm sorry but words from a politician are worthless.
    Exactly.

Voting record all we can believe. I'm sorry but words from a politician are worthless.
    Well, I changed politically, maybe he did. He probably did. This guy has nothing to gain from doing this from a political perspective, except a bunch of hate from Republicans for hurting Romney in Virginia.

Well, I changed politically, maybe he did. He probably did. This guy has nothing to gain from doing this from a political perspective, except a bunch of hate from Republicans for hurting Romney in Virginia.
    So did I. But with Goode, I'm not willing to bet the country on it.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    So did I. But with Goode, I'm not willing to bet the country on it.
    It's not like he has any chance of winning anyway. A vote for Goode is simply a protest vote.

Voting records are all we can believe. I'm sorry but words from a politician are worthless.
    That rule only applies when you're talking about someone who has a chance of winning.

When Bob Barr ran he claimed he changed, but looks like he endorsed Gingrich back in the primaries.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
    nothing is going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss, from The Lorax

Quote Originally Posted by Vanilluxe View Post
    When Bob Barr ran he claimed he changed, but looks like he endorsed Gingrich back in the primaries.
    Barr, like his VP nominee Root are Republicans. They're basically infiltrators, and many left the LP over Barr winning the nom. (Most have rejoined, thankfully)

I would have voted for Nader in '08, because of my disagreements with Baldwin.
    Inactive

List of Liberty-minded candidates for Congress in 2014
    Party: Libertarian (since registration) / Religion: none (Ignostic)

“If while on your way you meet no one your equal or better, steadily continue on your way alone. There is no fellowship with fools.”
    ― Dhammapada, v. 61

"Asking why there are no Libertarian countries is akin to asking why there are no Atheist Theocracies." - #AncapJackal