Thread: Reflections on my experience as a delegate at the Texas State Convention

Reflections on my experience as a delegate at the Texas State Convention

This was my first ever state convention. I'm still decompressing from the whole experience but wanted to share some observations and musings based upon what I experienced.

Going into the convention, we (a loosely tied/self-coordinating group of liberty lovers) expected that our voting strength for our Congressional District (CD) was likley to be around 45% of duly elected delegates from the county (Senate District [SD]) conventions. Our county (roughly 1/3 of the CD) did not even fill it's total allotment of delegates, so we didn't have any alternates. I expected that the other two counties in our CD were likely in a similar situation.

I showed up to the convention Thursday morning, so I missed all the committee stuff that happened earlier in the week. I wasn't aware that I could have gone earlier to sit in on them. It sounds like there were liberty minded people there though, so thank you to the peeps who invested that time and expense. From what I gathered, it had a positive impact - especially with getting the rules committee to adopt the change to the video taping rule (ensuring that all caucuses and committee meetings can be video taped by anyone [anyone who has a right to attend or witness anyway]).

I arrived eary on Thursday morning and after checking in, walked around the exhibit hall a bit and I'm pretty sure I talked to reps at almost every booth there. I was pleased to see We Texans (Debra Medina's group) there with a booth. There were a few other liberty minded groups exhibiting there and one exhibitor told me that they had been trying to get a booth at the Texas state convention for years but never allowed to participate. They credited Steve Munisteri (the new Chairman elected at the last convention in 2010 or 2008 - not sure which) as opening the door for them and others. From what I gathered, Steve was elected largely thanks to the liberty movement getting involved in earlier conventions. He appears to be a true diamond in the rough from what I saw throughout the convention - very fair, accommodating and funny/personable. He is definitely keeping a big, open tent for everyone.

There were a lot of campaign speeches given in the general sessions and they were all pretty forgettable pablum as far as I was concerned. A few random observations:
    • Rick Perry is very good at delivering self depricating humor. He has a lot of material to work with.
    • Ted Cruz was very popular with the delegation. Dewhurst, not so much.
    • Dewhurst is a world class tip top superchampion liar. He stood on that stage enduring, quite honestly, some pretty disrespectful catcalling and heckling specifically on the issue of the Texas anti-TSA bill that he killed and then he claimed credit for passing it! It was a totally WTF!?!?! moment for me. It was also hugely instructive to me how the establishment members of my county GOP didn't have a clue what was going on (what the heckling was about or the fact that Dewhurst told a bald faced lie on the stage). I got the distinct impression that the folks who are currently running my county's GOP machine is a high school social club cheerleading a team because they like the color of the uniform (and are completely clueless as to what they are doing on the field).
    • Dewhurst is very lucky that he wasn't shanghai'd to a gulag somewhere for making terroristic threats. He said he wanted to "blow up Washington D.C.". I may need to call in a tip to the DHS under their "see something, say something" program, because I'm pretty sure you aren't allowed to say things like that in this country any more.
    • I was very tempted to yell out "Oh no, Al Queda!" when Cornyn was on stage. I restrained myself because I kept the bigger picture in mind. Saturday morning, while heading to my CD caucus, Cornyn and I crossed paths in the lobby of the Omni Hotel. I thought about accosting him there and picking a few bones with him (over his support of TARP, NDAA and litany of other issues), but again restrained myself. I was very surprised that I had the strength to hold back on that. I suppose some might call it divine providence. I really wanted to give him a piece of my mind.
    • I heard Greg Parker (runoff election for railroad commissioner) give his campaign speech (the same speech) two times (SD and CD caucuses) and laughed both times. He is very good.

At our SD, the establishement candidate for SREC woman ran unopposed. The establishment candidate for SREC man was an incumbent seeking his last term available under term limits. When a nomination was made for another candidate, an establishment guy running for State Representative (now facing a run-off) who sat two seats down from me started laughing out loud (at the audacity, impudence and futility of the gesture no doubt). When the vote was announced, he audibly gasped and wasn't laughing any more. We didn't quite have the strength to unseat the encumbant establishment guy for SREC, but it was a much closer vote than the social club had expected. The vote totals indicated that maybe only half the (total) delegates duly elected at our county caucus had shown up so far. Had more of our (ie. RP/liberty supporting) duly elected delegates shown up on Thursday, we might have been able to get our candidate on the SREC. It's more the pity considering that our county was short of it's alotment of duly elected delegates and anyone who showed up at our county convention and expressed interest was duly elected. We had room for 10-20 delegates and 100+ alternates who could have helped us easily take over our county and control the caucus.

At our first CD caucus meeting on Friday afternoon, the chair took nominations for the (sorry, forgot the proper name for the position) person who would represent our district on the committee that decides the at-large delegates. The establishment candidate was nominated first. Our guy was nominated second and perhaps it was just my imagination, but the establishment peeps in the room were, I think, perhaps surprised that anyone else was nominated to run against their well known and popular candidate. Establishment candidate and friends gave their three minute speech lauding service to party, credentials, etc. Our guy and one supporter gave their speeches too. Vote was taken and confusion reigned for a while as vote totals didn't match records of people who had checked in. Eventually, the situation was resolved as a couple delegates had entered the room taken a seat at the beginning without checking in first. Situation settled, vote was announced and our guy won by ~20 votes. Whoa. That was very unexpected and the establishment crowd was served notice that this was not going to be a coronation for the social club.

Unfortunately, the situation was different come Saturday morning. Our CD caucus convened to elect delegates to Tampa and there were a few more people in the room (the balance of which was not in our favor). Most delegate/alternate positions were two candidate races between an establishment candidate and a new face. The first big contest of the day pitted the county chair of the largest of the 3 counties against a relative unknown (to the crowd). Our candidate didn't have any party credentials but he had a lot of sincere passion and was able to articulate it well. He gave a very moving speech. Vote was taken and it ended in a tie with over a buck and half votes cast. Holy $#@!. We had a tea party delegate who had missed being seated for the vote by two minutes or so and had to stand at the back of the room for the vote. Had the delegate arrived just a wee bit earlier, I'm pretty confident our new face would have won on the first vote. There was a lot of discussion and the chair even had to consult with the State parliamentarian to figure out how to proceed. We ended up taking a new vote after allowing a few more people who had shown up in the interim to be seated. The county chair was visibly distraught over the situation (and the fact that the county s/he chaired didn't deliver the victory). The county chair ended up winning the second vote by a very narrow margin (I guess the new arrivals were slightly in the establishment's favor). We had some pretty strong candidates for the other positions, but none of remaining votes were as close at that one.

There were various socials/mixers/parties going on around the event and for my part personally, may have been the most productive time I spent at the convention. At one in particular, I established some important connections with the establishment crowd in my county including many elected officials and candidates for office that are likely to be elected shortly. I had good conversations with a couple in particular. I know that they are going to be more receptive to further conversations with me because of my participation there and I am hopeful that I can plant some seeds that grow.

I'm leaving out a lot of things I would like to say, but not in an open forum. The bottom line though is that, for as much as people lament that voting in elections doesn't matter and doesn't affect things, I would say that the opposite is true in attending these conventions. One vote can make a HUGE difference at the conventions and your voice/POV has much greater influence on everything. I've always heard the expression that all politics is local. I never really grokked that until now. The people who control the county machines are the ones grooming the candidates for higher office and the committees at the higher levels that have a strong influence on the direction of the party.

I would urge anyone who has an earnest desire to see the liberty movement grow and has not yet broken out of their rusty cage to get involved at their local level and start meshing with the establishment social club. We had a golden opportunity in my county this cycle that was not fully realized. That can be corrected in 2014. I was told my local precinct, one of the largest (or at least strongest in voting bloc strength) for our county, generally only has 3-4 people show up on average for precinct conventions (roughly 1/10 of our county voting block strength!). I had no idea the door was so wide open in my county.
    I compiled a "brief" history of events since October 2008 that are defining the global currency war and the role that gold is playing:

Tin Foil Hats, Economic Reality and the Total Perspective Vortex

Also, have you contacted your Congressional Rep and asked them co-sponsor Ron Paul's Rep. Paul Broun Jr.'s HR 1098 77: Free Competition in Currencies Act?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Fantastic write up, participation and insights!
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

One vote can make a HUGE difference at the conventions and your voice/POV has much greater influence on everything.
    Definitely, I actually like being involved in the conventions more than just voting on election day. It is a place where my actual voice can be heard and can make a difference. So many votes at these convention cycles have come down to 5-10 votes. My CD was lost by 7 votes. If we control the local counties, we will control the districts and the states. Control the state GOP structure, control the RNC. Control the RNC and we can really start to effect change on a national level.

Once you've been through the process once, you realize at how ripe the GOP is for taking over. Demographic wise they will be literally die-off in 10-20 years and there are very few people involved that are under 65. The whole structure is pretty dead and is controlled by a few number of people.

It's one of those big ironies in the GOP. They have been involved for 30+ years and expect anyone who wants to be a delegate, etc. to be involved for 30+ years or to be politically connected. They don't realize they are killing off the organization itself. By not allowing those who haven't been involved for 30 years to become involved now, they are virtually assuring that things will be a mess in 10-20 years b/c they did not provide any type of mentoring structure for those involved only recently.

It's just crazy, I mean if I were 65+ had been involved for xx years, I'd be excited and I would give all sorts of positions to the new people. Because I would realize in 10-20 years I'm gone and if I don't provide an opportunity for the new people to take the reigns all my work will be for naught.

Quote Originally Posted by sailingaway View Post
    Fantastic write up, participation and insights!
    Thank you. I truly hope it inspires at least a few people to get involved at their next opportunity. A few more people would have made a world of difference for us.

Quote Originally Posted by gte811i View Post
    Definitely, I actually like being involved in the conventions more than just voting on election day. It is a place where my actual voice can be heard and can make a difference. So many votes at these convention cycles have come down to 5-10 votes. My CD was lost by 7 votes. If we control the local counties, we will control the districts and the states. Control the state GOP structure, control the RNC. Control the RNC and we can really start to effect change on a national level.
    +rep

Quote Originally Posted by gte811i View Post
    Once you've been through the process once, you realize at how ripe the GOP is for taking over. Demographic wise they will be literally die-off in 10-20 years and there are very few people involved that are under 65. The whole structure is pretty dead and is controlled by a few number of people.

It's one of those big ironies in the GOP. They have been involved for 30+ years and expect anyone who wants to be a delegate, etc. to be involved for 30+ years or to be politically connected. They don't realize they are killing off the organization itself. By not allowing those who haven't been involved for 30 years to become involved now, they are virtually assuring that things will be a mess in 10-20 years b/c they did not provide any type of mentoring structure for those involved only recently.

It's just crazy, I mean if I were 65+ had been involved for xx years, I'd be excited and I would give all sorts of positions to the new people. Because I would realize in 10-20 years I'm gone and if I don't provide an opportunity for the new people to take the reigns all my work will be for naught.
    That mirrors what I was seeing too.
    I compiled a "brief" history of events since October 2008 that are defining the global currency war and the role that gold is playing:

Also, have you contacted your Congressional Rep and asked them co-sponsor Ron Paul's Rep. Paul Broun Jr.'s HR 1098 77: Free Competition in Currencies Act?

* bump *

Last night, a local tea party group hosted a forum for SREC candidates for my Senate District (SD). The SREC is the State Republican Executive Committee. Every two years, at the State Convention, delegates elect one man and one woman from their district to serve on the committee. These committee members do a few important things like elect the State Chairman and other statewide party officers as well as RNC members.

In 2012 at the State Convention, ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bern View Post
    At our SD, the establishement candidate for SREC woman ran unopposed. The establishment candidate for SREC man was an incumbent seeking his last term available under term limits. When a nomination was made for another candidate, an establishment guy running for State Representative (now facing a run-off) who sat two seats down from me started laughing out loud (at the audacity, impudence and futility of the gesture no doubt). When the vote was announced, he audibly gasped and wasn't laughing any more. We didn't quite have the strength to unseat the encumbant establishment guy for SREC, but it was a much closer vote than the social club had expected. ...
    At the meeting last night, I saw 7 male candidates and 2 female candidates. It's a far cry from last go 'round when there were only 2 males and 1 female running. 4 out of the 9 current candidates are ones I would consider liberty and/or tea party candidates. Should be interesting at the state convention next month.

Well, the convention is next week. I'm looking forward to hearing Rand Paul speak. On a more local (state) level, I wonder what the sentiment is going to be with Patrick's victory over Dewhurst for the Lt. Governor nomination.

thank you for the updates!
    R[∃vo˩]ution

I believe the very heart and soul of conservatism is libertarianism. -Ronald Reagan

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Oh my! Big changes are coming to Texas. We are now a (partially) caucus state.

Delegates (for POTUS) elected at CD caucuses (at the state convention) will now be bound by results of primary results in their district. With 36 CDs, this represent 108 delegates bound by primary vote. If no candidate gets more than 50% of the vote in a district, the 3 delegates will be split 2/1 for 1st and 2nd place finishers.

There will be a few at large delegates also bound by primary vote (I didn't quite understand how that works - need to read the fine print). The rest of the at large delegates (~38) will be bound by straw poll at the state convention. The number of at large delegates bound by the straw poll should be 25% of the total delegates.

The idea is two-fold: get more people involved in the precinct, county and state convention, and; get presidential candidates to campaign in Texas more seriously. Texas primary is also moving to March 1 making it the 5th state in the process.

~~~

This convention had less people (and a much smaller exhibition hall) than two years ago (as might be expected in a non-POTUS election year). [6th sense]I see old people.[/6th sense]

Important stuff:
    Had a couple of opportunities to vote for liberty minded people to the Platform and Rules committees, but none of them beat the appointed temporary candidates. Enjoyed a huge cluster$#@! as our Senate District caucus was held in a ballroom at the Omni hotel and we ran out of time in the process of voting on our 3rd committee of the day. Omni ballroom was booked for another event so we spilled into the hallway and it was a madhouse. Challenger on 3rd vote dropped out to make life easy for everyone, but justice wasn't served as he didn't get a chance to address everyone and explain what had transpired in the committee earlier and why he was challenging the appointed temporary candidate. We adjourned and had to meet again next morning @ 7am (FML).

Next morning, SREC votes were held. Two candidates for committeewoman - one was friend of my county chairman and part of establishment social club. Other was very active tea party candidate. Tea party candidate won and I'm glad as she is a pretty dynamic person.

Committeeman was more muddled. We had 6 candidates at various points on the social club - tea party - libertarian spectrum. My first choice didn't make the runoff, but the eventual winner is a big tent guy who has done work with local tea parties. His runoff opponent was a social club blowhard, so yeah.

Not so important stuff:
    I attended a few breakout sessions. One included State Reps talking about the(ir) agenda for the upcoming legislative session. I also attended a breakout session with Texas' US Congressional Reps fielding questions from the audience. Unfortunately, most of the questions were either to stupid to merit remembering, or such complete softballs that the answers were uninteresting.

I met Dave Nalle from the RLC (Republican Liberty Caucus) in the exhibition hall. Was nice to put a face to the name as I've read a lot things he's published in the last few years. Shook his hand and told him to keep up the good work.

Bern, we actually had quite a few victories in State Committees and other leadership. More than you let on ;-) We got rid of Eric Opelia!!! And replaced him in sd21 Same in SREC in Sd10. 10 votes shy in SD22. Sd26, got one there too! :-) we were very happy.

Could always be happier, like we didn't get the censure resolution in with rules. and then we tried return it to the permanent committee on the floor so we could put in there too that way.

I wanted to go so badly

archer1600 - My comments regarding committee elections were specific to my own SD (none of the ones you mentioned).

Shook Rand Paul's hand today, for the first time. Also, ran into Read King and other patriots. Good day. But platform votes were tedious, and the outcome sucked by all accounts. Interesting straw poll results, can't say I'm really surprised, this is the Canadian's State. But I did my part I voted for RAND PAUL!!!!!

The draft Ben Carson sheeple were out in full force. Rand did not have a huge presence, just a little Rand PAC corner.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    Shook Rand Paul's hand today, for the first time. Also, ran into Read King and other patriots. Good day. But platform votes were tedious, and the outcome sucked by all accounts. Interesting straw poll results, can't say I'm really surprised, this is the Canadian's State. But I did my part I voted for RAND PAUL!!!!!

The draft Ben Carson sheeple were out in full force. Rand did not have a huge presence, just a little Rand PAC corner.
    Am I the only person that didn't go from here WhyMeLord

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard101 View Post
    Am I the only person that didn't go from here WhyMeLord
    I only made it today, had a great time. I talked to 3 former/future Legislative Liberty Candidates today.
    Also, heard Terry Holcomb speak to the Chair on a number of motions. But never met him. Gotta say, Chairman Steve Munisteri disappointed me greatly. I had heard good things about him before, but major MEH. No doubt other States have worse, though.
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

I only made it today, had a great time. I talked to 3 former/future Legislative Liberty Candidates today.
    Also, heard Terry Holcomb speak to the Chair on a number of motions. But never met him. Gotta say, Chairman Steve Munisteri disappointed me greatly. I had heard good things about him before, but major MEH. No doubt other States have worse, though.
    You got to shake Rand's hand. That's all that matters

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    You got to shake Rand's hand. That's all that matters
    Yeah, it was great. But I actually feel the most respect for normal folks who put there lives on hold, in the thankless task of fighting for Liberty. Rand is great, I'm glad I ran into him.

But all our 2014 State House candidates deserve praise too. It's an honor to know some of them. It's very encouraging how many of those who did not win, showed up. They are the future!
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Yeah, it was great. But I actually feel the most respect for normal folks who put there lives on hold, in the thankless task of fighting for Liberty. Rand is great, I'm glad I ran into him.

But all our 2014 State House candidates deserve praise too. It's an honor to know some of them. It's very encouraging how many of those who did not win, showed up. They are the future!
    How many state house members where there that we supported?

How many state house members where there that we supported?
    They pranced most all of the new 2014 House and Senate nominees across the stage, both the good and the bad. I'm talking about the ones who just won their nominations, non incumbents. Molly White, Koni Burton, Bob Hall, David Hamilton, Stuart Spitzer etc.

As far as incumbents, Steve Toth and Bryan Hughes were there on Saturday. I was not there on the other days, but I imagine a lot of them came through one time or another.

At least 5 of our Candidates who ran, but lost in State House races were there.
    Last edited by William Tell; 06-06-2015 at 02:53 PM. Reason: corrected to Bob Hall
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

They pranced most all of the new 2014 House and Senate nominees across the stage, both the good and the bad. I'm talking about the ones who just won their nominations, non incumbents. Molly White, Koni Burton, Ralph Hall, David Hamilton, Stuart Spitzer etc.

As far as incumbents, Steve Toth and Bryan Hughes were there on Saturday. I was not there on the other days, but I imagine a lot of them came through one time or another.

At least 5 of our Candidates who ran, but lost in State House races were there.
    Wow that's good to know! David Hamilton represents part of my city or school district.

Wow that's good to know! David Hamilton represents part of my city or school district.
    Yeah, I forgot to post much here about David, because he was unopposed in the GOP Primary. I believe it is pretty much a Blue district. David says he is a Ron Paul fan, it would be awesome if he won. You might want to get involved with his campaign if you are in the area again, and can. it's a great way to meet like minded people.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Yeah, I forgot to post much here about David, because he was unopposed in the GOP Primary. I believe it is pretty much a Blue district. David says he is a Ron Paul fan, it would be awesome if he won. You might want to get involved with his campaign if you are in the area again, and can. it's a great way to meet like minded people.
    Yeah he is at a disadvantage. The district he is a majority black/hispanic area. If he could swap skin colors with me, he would probably have a better chance x_x

Who is that in your profile pic, Anne Hathaway?
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Victoria Justice

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I only made it today, had a great time. ... Gotta say, Chairman Steve Munisteri disappointed me greatly. I had heard good things about him before, but major MEH. No doubt other States have worse, though.
    You showed up too late! The real important business (voting for your SD's committee and SREC members) happened Thursday and Friday. Friday afternoon was the voting on the new rules. Sorry you missed that as it was pretty interesting.

I knew Saturday was going to be a $#@!-show (platform debate), so I left. I would have stayed if the platform actually meant anything, but it doesn't so I didn't.

I participated in the platform debate in 2012, but left late in the evening to get some sleep. They went until midnight that session and folks who stayed for the whole thing told me it was brutal. Munisteri was and is very accommodating IMO.

You showed up too late! The real important business (voting for your SD's committee and SREC members) happened Thursday and Friday. Friday afternoon was the voting on the new rules. Sorry you missed that as it was pretty interesting.
    I know that, I really wanted to make it, but things came up, sadly. Feel free to tell us more about what happened on the other days.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

I got to meet Ben Carson and David Hamilton on sunday. I didn't expect Hamilton to be there and when I saw him, he recognized me from facebook

Apparently the GOP is trying to be tougher on immigration now. They also are allowing pushing medical marijuana. I think we have a chance of convincing Abbott to get marijuana legislation passed if he's willing to support not picking winners and losers.

* bump *

I went to my precinct convention Tuesday night. The last few cycles, I was 1 of 4 or so people to show up. This time, we had 8 people show up (me included).

The building where we hold our precinct convention is also the meeting place for ~5 other precincts. The last few times, we all met in a large meeting room and separated out into different corners. This time, they used that room as a polling station, so it was full of voting booths and we couldn't use the room. We (all) met in a small break room. It was a bit crowded, but we managed. Interestingly, the other precincts seemed to have equal or less people than years past. It seemed like my precinct was the only one with a bigger turnout than previous years.

If the rest of my senate district had similar turnout to what I saw at my precinct (which is not a given), I expect that everyone who attends the Senate District convention and wants to be a delegate to State will be able to go (just like 2014).

I'm looking forward to seeing all my Ron Paul friends again (at least the ones who I expect will be at the SD convention). I don't know if anyone is still keeping in touch anymore or not. I definitely lost contact with everyone.

Attended my Senate District (SD) convention on Saturday. It was mostly uneventful, but I'll share a few observations:
    • Texas' national committeewoman was the first speaker of the day. She stressed that the rumors of the RNC planning to rig or steal the election are false. They will fully support whoever the nominée ends up being. She also referred to Curly Haugland (though not directly by name) and said his efforts to change the rules did not have broad support.
    • Platform bs was somewhat interesting this time. Platform committee had prepared a condensed 10 point summary of Republican values. That was followed by 11 pages of amendments proposed by folks at the precinct conventions. First motion from the floor was to strike the 11 pages of amendments. It passed. God crowd kept trying to amend the high level summary with typical stuff like "no Sharia law", "marriage is 1 man, 1 woman", "abortion is murder", etc. All of them except the marriage one were defeated. Everyone in my precinct voted with me to defeat each amendment. Was good to see that the "make the GOP an extension of my church" crowd was getting shouted down.
    • Attendance was on par with past conventions. My SD is Cruz territory, so maybe not indicative of other areas, but there was no "Trump bump". No ground game was evident.
    • Lt. Gov Dan Patrick showed up and talked for a bit. He actually seemed quite lucid and sane.

Yesterday, I was out and about in my local community and I ran into my precinct captain (who also happens to be the one who chaired our SD convention and recently ran for mayor of our town, but lost). She recognized me and told me that she had recommended me for some committee work (don't know which). Told me to expect contact from someone in the party soon.

Attended my Senate District (SD) convention on Saturday. It was mostly uneventful, but I'll share a few observations:[list][*]Texas' national committeewoman was the first speaker of the day. She stressed that the rumors of the RNC planning to rig or steal the election are false.
    She's lying.