Thread: Indiana, Illinois and Kentucky state convention updates?

Indiana, Illinois and Kentucky state convention updates?

Last edited by Massachusetts; 07-03-2015 at 08:19 AM.
    SUPPORT LIBERTY IN 2016

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I hope these last 2 month of devastation hasn't affected the delegate process too much. I know it had to have had an affect on morale.. but just how much.

We still need delegates regardless of what will happen in August. Getting the presidency... speaking spot.. platform change.. VP slot... whatever our goal is (of course presidency is primary goal). We need delegates! We don't know wtf is happening. Just 2 more months or so and we will be done.

SUPPORT LIBERTY IN 2016

Bump..
    SUPPORT LIBERTY IN 2016

I just got back from the Indiana one. I don't feel like writing very much now. We weren't very successful with delegates, but I heard through the grapevine that there was a Ron Paul supporter elected as a delegate bound to Romney from some other congressional district than mine. We also successfully amended our state platform to include and audit-the-fed plank.

SUPPORT LIBERTY IN 2016

We got a good ass-whooping here in Kentucky There are 2 people on the alternate list but that is it. We have grown a lot over the last 4 years though making up about 3/7th of the delegates. Will be a lot bigger in 4 years from now.

We just finished our state convention in TX today. All three delegates from my CD were known RP supporters. Plus one of us snagged an at-large delegate slot. Other CD's had some success as well, though I don't know of any others that had the 100% success we did. Some of the votes were close - even within one vote - but we were organized, prepared, and just slightly outnumbered everyone else.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Tyler View Post
    We got a good ass-whooping here in Kentucky There are 2 people on the alternate list but that is it. We have grown a lot over the last 4 years though making up about 3/7th of the delegates. Will be a lot bigger in 4 years from now.
    do what you can
    Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    When Freedom is Outlawed, only Outlaws will have Freedom.

Kentucky's actually went better than I expected it to, considering Romney did convention robocalls and mailers, and the Paul campaign didn't spend anything or even give us contact info. We got a scattering of "OK" delegates, and as Jeremy says, a solid alternate or two.

What really surprised me was the platform... Instead of 08's "We worship McCain" platform, and despite coming through an Establishment-controlled resolution committee, it blasted the Federal Reserve, international agreements that undermine our sovereignty, and even had shades of non-interventionsm. (In KENTUCKY!) The convention itself was a night and day difference - in 08 the mics were shut down and the convention read off over shouts from the floor. This year there was good discussion and they (almost) followed the rules. We just needed more people there.
    Original supporter of Ron Paul since 2007 and lifelong supporter of liberty and the Constitution. I stand with Rand.

I heard from a delegate that the vote to overturn the party leader-selected slate of delegates lost only narrowly 78-90. They had to recount again because it was so close. This was a huge difference from four years ago. If we repeat such gains 4 years from now we will win in a landslide. Very good results from Indiana. I've been waiting for someome who was actually at the convention to post an update, but you all need to know how close we were. Very inspiring for the next convention!

Indiana's Caucus was strongarmed by the GOP. They refuse to acknowledge/accept any points of information, etc. However, we did get an Audit to the Fed on the slate.
    "For if you [the rulers] suffer your people to be ill-educated, and their manners to be corrupted from their infancy, and then punish them for those crimes to which their first education disposed them, what else is to be concluded from this, but that you first make thieves [and outlaws] and then punish them."
    -Sir Thomas More (1478-1535), Utopia, Book 1

*Admirer, of Philosophy.*

And Illinois AL are unbound delegates >_>
    Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    When Freedom is Outlawed, only Outlaws will have Freedom.

Illinois delegates were picked by central committee and rammed through. Delegates are talking about askign for their money back since they had no say.
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

Indiana has no Ron Paul delegates going national. I heard in one email that they think we were "given" one alternate slot.

Indiana's leadership selects ALL the delegates, even at the district level. Their pre-selected slate is not allowed to be discussed, debated or ammended and we're not allowed to make any nominations from the floor until after the slate is voted on and defeated.

Worse is that they worked very hard to keep the paperwork needed to file to even be considered for a national delegate very secretive.

We lost to the pre-selected slate in all 9 districts -- many people were against the process and found it inproper but changed their minds after the 15 minute infomercial about how wonderful the slate was and voted for it in the end (not Paulers, but tea partiers).

They didn't even bother reading the names of the people selected for the At-large slate at the state caucus and the slate won with huge support.

We started out, or so I've been told, with the majority of delegates among those who filed paperwork and through "challenges" and the election we were reduced down to less 25%.

Rand's endorsement the night before caused several of our state delegates to stay home.

The only sucess is the audit the fed ammendment to the platform and the fact that in four years many of the delegates that were challenged and not allowed to go because they had never voted in a repub. primary before will not be able to be stopped next time around and we have a lot better idea of what the process will be this time.

Those of you in the highly insular states have the most ground to gain. Expectations were very low in places like Oklahoma and Arkansas this year, but people made surprise successes in the district conventions. This is a lead-off to winning party leadship positions later to improve the rules and the process.

Change doesn't happen all at once, but the old guard cannot keep their eyes on every ball, all the time.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by FriedChicken View Post
    Indiana's leadership selects ALL the delegates, even at the district level. Their pre-selected slate is not allowed to be discussed, debated or ammended and we're not allowed to make any nominations from the floor until after the slate is voted on and defeated.
    I've found the 'ol "no nominations from the floor until the slate is voted down" to be an old trick. It happened at our CD and at our state convention (GA).

Even though they rammed it through at state the chairman at least admitted that in order for it to work it requires a 2/3rd majority vote (closing nominations before a vote requires 2/3rds). Unfortunately, the chairman took the 2/3rd vote and said "not even close" even though it was completely obvious we had more than a third. Basically the chairman had a predetermined idea how the vote would go and he made sure it went that way.

Found out we actually got several alternates in KY. To my surprise, our slates shared a handful of names - although it's mostly placation I suppose since they're alternates.
    Original supporter of Ron Paul since 2007 and lifelong supporter of liberty and the Constitution. I stand with Rand.

Missed this one from Illinois, but good to see someone dropping truth bombs in the middle of a snake pit :

Watch William J. Kelly, a candidate for national Republican committeeman, call the Illinois Republican Party 'a joke' as members of the Republican selection committee nervously look on.

Kelly was outraged that the selection committee would only offer one committeeman candidate to the delegates and would deny them the right to vote for direct elections. In Illinois, Republican voters - unlike Democrat voters - do not have the right to vote for their own party leadership.
    Last edited by CPUd; 06-14-2012 at 10:03 PM.

According to Daily Paul, Kentucky's convention also had a close vote to overturn the hand picked slate, and was also like Indiana, rammed through.

Sounds like both States could have nominated delegates from the floor if our people had worked more with other delegates who didn't want it either before the convention.

Hmm, might've been an error on DP then. Kentucky's vote wasn't close - we had 40% at the very most. And even if we'd had the votes to vote down their slate, it would've just returned to the establishment-controlled State Nominating Committee. Amendments were offered, but despite being unable to show a rule forbidding amendments to the nominations report, the chair ruled them out of order. He pulled that out of thin air, but even if he hadn't, the votes weren't there to amend or even to appeal his decision.

In an ideal situation, we would've controlled the committees. Some of the districts were closer. I still generally attribute our loss to the campaign not providing any contacts - all the informed counties did pretty well, but that was a small number of counties.

Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    Missed this one from Illinois, but good to see someone dropping truth bombs in the middle of a snake pit :

Has anyone from the liberty movement contacted this man, Kelly?

edit: Or is he already a Ron Paul supporter?
    Last edited by ClydeCoulter; 06-16-2012 at 05:26 AM.
    "When a portion of wealth is transferred from the person who owns it—without his consent and without compensation, and whether by force or by fraud—to anyone who does not own it, then I say that property is violated; that an act of plunder is committed." - Bastiat : The Law

"nothing evil grows in alcohol" ~ @presence

"I mean can you imagine what it would be like if firemen acted like police officers? They would only go into a burning house only if there's a 100% chance they won't get any burns. I mean, you've got to fully protect thy self first." ~ juleswin