Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 99

Thread: Fire Retardants Found in Peanut Butter, Other Fatty Foods, yet no specific disclosure

  1. #1

    Fire Retardants Found in Peanut Butter, Other Fatty Foods, yet no specific disclosure

    I haven't seen this posted anywhere... There are several sources, but I picked this one for a particular reason.

    In a new study of popular products purchased from grocery stores in Dallas, Texas, researchers found that nearly half of the sampled peanut butter and cold cuts, as well as turkey, fish, beef and other fatty foods, contained traces of a flame retardant commonly used in the foam insulation of building walls.

    "This is not good news. Here's yet another toxic chemical that can be found in many of the foods we buy at our supermarkets," said Dr. Arnold Schecter of the University of Texas School of Public Health and an author of the study published on Thursday. "Food does not need to have flame retardants."
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1559062.html


    Now what really bothers me is this...


    The study did not specify which particular brands were tested...
    If they really think this chemical is dangerous, it sounds extremely unethical to not share where they found it.


    but Schecter noted that all were "conventional" brands and not brands that market themselves as organic.
    Which doesn't mean organics don't contain it... might contain more for all we know... just that they weren't tested.


    The chemical industry, however, offers a different interpretation of the new study. "Based on these findings, the real story is that HBCD was not detected in the majority of the samples..."
    Once again, that makes it sound extremely unethical for the people conducting the study to not mention where they found them.
    We have allies many of you are not aware of. Watch the tube. Show this to your 30 and under friends. Listen to it. Even if you don't like rap, it has 2.7 million views.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmBnvajSfWU#t=0m16s

    Cut off one min early to avoid war porn.



  2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  3. #2
    How comes every time there's some "toxin" in our food, this is always mentioned:
    may disrupt the proper function of human hormones and reproduction.
    may disrupt the proper function of human hormones and reproduction.
    may disrupt the proper function of human hormones and reproduction.
    may disrupt the proper function of human hormones and reproduction.
    may disrupt the proper function of human hormones and reproduction.

    NOT A CONSPIRACY
    A savage barbaric tribal society where thugs parade the streets and illegally assault and murder innocent civilians, yeah that is the alternative to having police. Oh wait, that is the police

    We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.
    - Edward R. Murrow

    ...I think we have moral obligations to disobey unjust laws, because non-cooperation with evil is as much as a moral obligation as cooperation with good. - MLK Jr.

    How to trigger a liberal: "I didn't get vaccinated."

  4. #3
    I loathe this type of argument.

    Hydrogen peroxide is a rocket fuel. It is also a disinfectant used on cuts and to disinfect things like toothbrushes.

    OMG! YOU'RE PUTTING ROCKET FUEL IN YOUR MOUTH! YOU'RE GONNA DIE!

    (There's thousands of other examples FWIW.)

    Granted, peanut butter should probably shouldn't have HBCD in it, but my reaction to this stupid type of argument is just to roll my eyes.
    Well, I got Rand started on his campaign (just search around here to see). I advised Thomas Massie before he ran for Congress. I am currently advising 2 liberty campaigns for the state legislature. I ran the war-room and won Minnesota for Ron Paul a few weeks back. There are other things I'm probably forgetting.
    Yet I can't afford $200 to go to a seminar--Matt Collins

  5. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Kluge View Post

    Granted, peanut butter should probably shouldn't have HBCD in it, but my reaction to this stupid type of argument is just to roll my eyes.
    Why? I see the opposite. I see a company saying "Oh, it's only a little bit of toxins, it's not going to hurt you."
    A savage barbaric tribal society where thugs parade the streets and illegally assault and murder innocent civilians, yeah that is the alternative to having police. Oh wait, that is the police

    We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.
    - Edward R. Murrow

    ...I think we have moral obligations to disobey unjust laws, because non-cooperation with evil is as much as a moral obligation as cooperation with good. - MLK Jr.

    How to trigger a liberal: "I didn't get vaccinated."

  6. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Warrior_of_Freedom View Post
    Why? I see the opposite. I see a company saying "Oh, it's only a little bit of toxins, it's not going to hurt you."
    Just because a chemical has other applications does NOT mean it's a toxin. In this case it may be, but that's not because it's used in fire retardants, it's because it's a toxin--do you see what I mean? I thought I made it reasonably clear.

    There are chemicals in everything, chemicals are not "evil" because they can be used in multiple applications.
    Well, I got Rand started on his campaign (just search around here to see). I advised Thomas Massie before he ran for Congress. I am currently advising 2 liberty campaigns for the state legislature. I ran the war-room and won Minnesota for Ron Paul a few weeks back. There are other things I'm probably forgetting.
    Yet I can't afford $200 to go to a seminar--Matt Collins

  7. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Kluge View Post
    Just because a chemical has other applications does NOT mean it's a toxin. In this case it may be, but that's not because it's used in fire retardants, it's because it's a toxin--do you see what I mean? I thought I made it reasonably clear.

    There are chemicals in everything, chemicals are not "evil" because they can be used in multiple applications.

    But why run a study looking for them, and then refuse to say where you found them?
    We have allies many of you are not aware of. Watch the tube. Show this to your 30 and under friends. Listen to it. Even if you don't like rap, it has 2.7 million views.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmBnvajSfWU#t=0m16s

    Cut off one min early to avoid war porn.

  8. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Kluge View Post
    Just because a chemical has other applications does NOT mean it's a toxin. In this case it may be, but that's not because it's used in fire retardants, it's because it's a toxin--do you see what I mean? I thought I made it reasonably clear.
    I don't know about anyone else, but I'm not making that argument. Read this study...

    http://www.nicnas.gov.au/Consultatio...s_HBCD_PDF.pdf

    It talks about toxicity in rats, which is bothersome. I don't really care what else it is used for.
    We have allies many of you are not aware of. Watch the tube. Show this to your 30 and under friends. Listen to it. Even if you don't like rap, it has 2.7 million views.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmBnvajSfWU#t=0m16s

    Cut off one min early to avoid war porn.

  9. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2 View Post
    But why run a study looking for them, and then refuse to say where you found them?
    because they were afraid of being sued?
    Or they just wanted to sucker everybody into buying only organic forms of those products?
    Or it is tough to prove their results incorrect if you dont' know which actual products they tested?



  10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  11. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    because they were afraid of being sued?
    Or they just wanted to sucker everybody into buying only organic forms of those products?
    That would certainly be suckering since they didn't test organic products. That itself sounds like a dumb idea, if you are interested in figuring out how the chemical gets into the products. As far as being sued, they'd have to not trust their results, since suing them for telling the truth would be tough. (and probably a horrible PR move if the media didn't come down on the corporate side.)

    Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Or it is tough to prove their results incorrect if you dont' know which actual products they tested?
    That is certainly true. You can't prove their results anything.
    We have allies many of you are not aware of. Watch the tube. Show this to your 30 and under friends. Listen to it. Even if you don't like rap, it has 2.7 million views.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmBnvajSfWU#t=0m16s

    Cut off one min early to avoid war porn.

  12. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Kluge View Post
    I loathe this type of argument.

    Hydrogen peroxide is a rocket fuel. It is also a disinfectant used on cuts and to disinfect things like toothbrushes.

    OMG! YOU'RE PUTTING ROCKET FUEL IN YOUR MOUTH! YOU'RE GONNA DIE!

    (There's thousands of other examples FWIW.)

    Granted, peanut butter should probably shouldn't have HBCD in it, but my reaction to this stupid type of argument is just to roll my eyes.
    I used to be a senior chemist with an R&D lab; I fully support this post.

    Yes, we should be aware of what is in our food. But as detection limits are pushed (ppb is now the standard ppm used to be; ppt as in trillion is coming), you're going to find certains compounds in anything you test.

    Again, being informed is good; obeing overly reactionary to something that is made to sound scary, on a subject with little native understanding is not so good.

    I think it's the discerning mind of the people here that is so appealing. We shouldn't take anything at face value, even if it fits well in our views of the world. Selection bias is a bitch!

  13. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    because they were afraid of being sued?
    Or they just wanted to sucker everybody into buying only organic forms of those products?
    Or it is tough to prove their results incorrect if you dont' know which actual products they tested?
    You beat me to it.

    If this was a huge concern, they would be testing organic food as well (it might even help isolate the cause of why some produce shows higher or lower levels). There are few specifics on the study itself, which always makes me suspicious. It's like surveys and polls that do not list the demographics and methodology.
    Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

  14. #12
    Oh and there's silly putty in those McD's fries
    Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

  15. #13
    Bromate is a chemical compound that contains Bromine which is commonly used as a fire retardant. It wrecks your thyroid!!

    Bromide Dominance – A National Health Crisis Part 2of2
    http://selfhealthresourcecenter.info...sis-part-2of2/

    Potassium Bromate in Bread

    Potassium bromate, an additive included in many commercial bread and baked goods, provides the most devastating contribution to bromide overload in Western cultures. Bromated flour is a product “enriched” with potassium bromate.

    Many commercial bakers use bromated flour because it yields dependable results, and because it makes more elastic dough, which can stand up to bread hooks and other commercial baking tools.

    In the 1960′s, a single slice of bread in the USA contained the full RDA of 0.15 mg iodine. The risk for breast cancer was then 1 in 20. Over the last several decades, iodine was largely replaced by bromine in the form of potassium bromate in the bread making process.

    Bromine blocks thyroid function and interferes with the anticancer effect of iodine. Today, the risk for breast cancer is 1 in 8 and increasing by one percent each year.
    Bromide in Bread Banned in UK and Canada

    In 1990 the UK banned bromate in bread. Canada followed suite in 1994. The United States has yet to take a similar action in this important matter.
    Bromide in Drinking Water

    When drinking water containing bromide is exposed to ozone, bromate ion, a powerful oxidizing agent, is formed. Two significant recalls of drinking water involving bromate have occurred: 1) Wegmann’s Food You Feel Good About Spring Water in 2006; and 2) Coca-Cola’s Dasani in 2004.

    Toothpaste and Mouthwash

    Potassium bromate is used as an antiseptic and astringent in toothpaste and mouthwash. This highly toxic substance may cause bleeding and inflammation of gums.

    Flame Retardants

    Bromated flame retardants reduce the flammability of a wide variety of commercial and household products. Unfortunately the bromide used in some home retardants does not stay put. Instead, it finds its way into the environment and into the human body.

    Personal Care Products and Cosmetics

    Sodium bromate is ubiquitous in permanent wave neutralizers, hair dyes and textile dyes, and many other cosmetic and home care products.

    Effects of Elevated Bromide Levels

    Elevated bromide levels have a deleterious effect on human organs, specifically the thyroid and kidneys, and skin. Bromide exposure is also related to renal failure and, perhaps most tragically, to mental aberrations.

    Thyroid

    Elevated bromide levels have been implicated in every thyroid disease, from simple hypothyroidism to auto-immune diseases to thyroid cancer.

    Kidneys

    The ability of bromate to cause cancer, especially kidney cancer, is a significant health concern.

    Skin

    Prolonged exposure to bromide or bromide related products may cause lesions on the face and scalp, as well as open sores on the trunk and extremities.

    Hearing Loss

    Potassium bromate, the popular bread additive, is known to cause renal damage and permanent deafness in animals and man. The lower frequency range is most often affected.

    Mental Aberrations

    Psychiatry literature abounds with cases of elevated bromide levels implicated in mental conditions ranging from depression to schizophrenia.

    Serious Questions

    If iodine deficiency is the underlying cause of many diseases, is bromide “the underlying cause of the underlying cause?”

    Because iodine was not supplemented much before the last three years, few physicians have had a chance to look closely at the occasional symptoms which arise from iodine supplementation (still called “iodism”) and raise questions.

    Might the historical observation of iodism be due principally to massive amounts of stored bromine leaving the tissues and entering the bloodstream?

    Is it possible that the apparent adverse effects of iodine are due almost exclusively due to bromide excretion, and that consequently not enough iodine-alone effects can be documented to qualify as an “ism”?

    And finally, might the iodism phenomenon be more appropriately called “bromism”?

    FDA’s Evasive Answer

    Back in 1999, the Center for Science in the Public Interest petitioned the FDA to prohibit the use of potassium bromate, charging that the FDA has known for years that bromate causes cancer in lab animals, but has failed to ban it. In September, 2007, the US FDA responded to Breast Cancer Choices inquiry with the statement, “Potassium Bromate is still listed as a safe additive.”

    References

    1) Ghent, W., et al, Can. J. Surg., 36:453-460,1993.
    2) Eskin, B., et al, Biological Trace Element Research, 49:9-19, 1995.
    3) Marine, D., Atl. Med. J., 26:437-442, 1923.
    4) Abraham,G.E., The Original Internist, 11:17-36, 2004.
    5) Gennaro A.R., Remington: 19th Edition, 1995, Mack Publishing Co, 1267.
    6) Abraham, G.E., Flechas, J.D., Hakala, J.C., The Original Internist, 9:30-41, 2002.



    Avoiding Bromate in Your Bottled Water

    http://ezinearticles.com/?Avoiding-B...ter&id=1392736

    Lugol's, Iodoral, SSKI... Everything You'd Ever Want To Know About Iodine Supplements And Thyroid Health!
    http://www.lugol-iodinesupplements.com/
    Last edited by donnay; 06-03-2012 at 08:07 AM.
    "No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another.” ~ Charles Dickens

  16. #14
    good to know about this... ill be on the lookout for bromate in my food products.

  17. #15
    This is a good example of what I was saying earlier:
    Bromine blocks thyroid function and interferes with the anticancer effect of iodine. Today, the risk for breast cancer is 1 in 8 and increasing by one percent each year.

    Bromide in Bread Banned in UK and Canada

    In 1990 the UK banned bromate in bread. Canada followed suite in 1994. The United States has yet to take a similar action in this important matter.
    Okay, so bromate was banned in the UK over 20 years ago. I am sure that since this chemical is increasing breast cancer rates, the rates have dropped by now in the UK in a measurable way among bread-eating Brits. Curiously, that is not mentioned in the article.
    Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

  18. #16
    Avoid This If You Want To Keep Your Thyroid Healthy
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mer..._b_472953.html

    If you are like most people, you probably haven't spent much time thinking about how much bromine you're absorbing from your car upholstery or your Mountain Dew. But bromine toxicity is a definite danger from some surprising sources, and it can wreak havoc on your health.

    Bromines All Around You

    Bromines are common endocrine disruptors, and are part of the halide family, a group of elements that includes fluorine, chlorine and iodine. What makes it so dangerous is that it competes for the same receptors that are used to capture iodine.

    If you are exposed to a lot of bromine, your body will not hold on to the iodine that it needs. And iodine affects every tissue in your body -- not just your thyroid.

    You are already exposed to far too much chlorine and bromine. Bromine can be found in a number of places in your everyday world, including:

    •Pesticides (specifically methyl bromide, used mainly on strawberries, predominantly in California)

    •Plastics, like those used to make computers

    •Bakery goods and some flours often contain a "dough conditioner" called potassium bromate

    •Soft drinks (including Mountain Dew, Gatorade, Sun Drop, Squirt, Fresca and other citrus-flavored sodas), in the form of brominated vegetable oils (BVOs)

    •Medications such as Atrovent Inhaler, Atrovent Nasal Spray, Pro-Banthine (for ulcers), and anesthesia agents

    •Fire retardants (common one is polybromo diphenyl ethers or PBDEs) used in fabrics, carpets, upholstery, and mattresses

    •Bromine-based hot tub and swimming pool treatments

    According to van Leeuwen, who has extensively studied the effects of sodium bromide on thyroid function:

    "Although the bromide ion is widely distributed in nature, the main route of exposure in humans stems from bromide residues in food commodities as a result of the abundant use of bromide-containing pesticides, like methylbromide and ethylene dibromide, for soil fumigation in intensive horticulture and for postharvest treatment."

    One clinical consequence of overexposure to bromine is suppression of your thyroid, leading to hypothyroidism, which will be discussed shortly. Another is bromide toxicity.

    Bromine -- The Bully of the Halide Group

    When you ingest or absorb bromine, it displaces iodine, and this iodine deficiency leads to an increased risk for cancer of the breast, thyroid gland, ovary and prostate -- cancers that we see at alarmingly high rates today. This phenomenon is significant enough to have been given its own name -- the Bromide Dominance Theory.

    Aside from its effects on your endocrine glands, bromine is toxic in and of itself. Bromide builds up in your central nervous system and results in many problems. It is a central nervous system depressant and can trigger a number of psychological symptoms such as acute paranoia and other psychotic symptoms.

    In fact, in an audio interview, physician Jorge Flechas reported that, between 1920 and 1960, at least 20 percent of all hospital admissions for "acute paranoid schizophrenia" were a result of ingesting bromine-containing products.

    In addition to psychiatric problems, bromine toxicity can manifest as the following:

    •Skin rashes and severe acne

    •Loss of appetite and abdominal pain

    •Fatigue

    •Metallic taste

    •Cardiac arrhythmias

    Baby Boomers might recall a popular product from the 1950s called Bromo-Seltzer. These effervescent granules, developed by the Emerson Drug Company of Baltimore, were used to treat heartburn, upset stomach, indigestion, headaches and hangovers.

    Bromo-Selzer's original formula contained 3.2 mEq/teaspoon of sodium bromide -- hence the name. The sedative effect probably explained its popularity as a hangover remedy. Bromides were withdrawn from the American market in 1975 due to their toxicity.

    Bromo-Selzer is still on the market, but no longer contains bromide.

    Bromines in Your Bread Box: Potassium Bromate

    The ban on bromines have not prevented them from sneaking into your foods and personal care products.

    You probably are not aware of this, but nearly every time you eat bread in a restaurant or consume a hamburger or hotdog bun you are consuming bromide, as it is commonly used in flours.

    The use of potassium bromate as an additive to commercial breads and baked goods has been a huge contributor to bromide overload in Western cultures.

    Bromated flour is "enriched" with potassium bromate. Commercial baking companies claim it makes the dough more elastic and better able to stand up to bread hooks. However, Pepperidge Farm and other successful companies manage to use only unbromated flour without any of these so-called "structural problems."

    Potassium bromate is also found in some toothpastes and mouthwashes, where it's added as an antiseptic and astringent. It has been found to cause bleeding and inflammation of gums in people using these products.

    Sodium Bromate and BMOs

    Mountain Dew, one of the worst beverages you can drink, uses brominated vegetable oil as an emulsifier. Not only that, it contains high fructose corn syrup, sodium benzoate, more than 55 mg of caffeine per 12 ounce can, and Yellow Dye #5 (tartrazine, which has been banned in Norway, Austria and Germany.)

    A weapon of mass destruction -- in a can.

    Even drinking water can be a source of bromide. When drinking water containing bromide is exposed to ozone, bromate ions are formed, which are powerful oxidizing agents. Such was the case in 2004 when Coca Cola Company had to recall Dasani bottled water.

    Sodium bromate can also be found in personal care products such as permanent waves, hair dyes, and textile dyes. Benzalkonium is used as a preservative in some cosmetics.

    Finally, bromine and chlorine were the most common toxic elements reportedly found in automobiles, according to the blog of David Brownstein, MD (March 2007). They showed up in the seats, armrests, door trim, shift knobs and other areas of the car.

    Think about how much time you spend enclosed in your outgassing Chevy... windows up with no air circulation.

    The United States is quite behind in putting an end to the egregious practice of allowing bromine chemicals in your foods. In 1990, the United Kingdom banned bromate in bread. In 1994, Canada did the same. Brazil recently outlawed bromide in flour products.

    What's taking us so long? Another case of our government protecting big industry -- instead of protecting you.

    Iodine Levels and Cancer Risk

    Iodine levels have significantly dropped due to bromine exposure; declining consumption of iodized salt, eggs, fish, and sea vegetables; and soil depletion. In the U.S. population, there was a 50 percent reduction in urinary iodine excretion between 1970 and 1990.

    What's this doing to our country's health?

    The Japanese consume 89 times more iodine than Americans due to their daily consumption of sea vegetables, and they have reduced rates of many chronic diseases, including the lowest rates of cancer in the world. The RDA for iodine in the U.S. is a meager 150 mcg/day, which pales in comparison with the average daily intake of 13800 mcg/day for the Japanese.

    There is a large body of evidence suggesting that low cancer rates in Japan are a result of their substantially higher iodine levels. Iodine has documented antioxidant and anti-proliferative properties.

    A strong case can be made that your iodine RDA should be closer to what the Japanese consume daily, if breast cancer rates are any indication. Low iodine can lead to fibrocystic breast disease in women (density, lumps and bumps), hyperplasia, and atypical mammary tissue. Such fibrocystic changes in breast tissue have been shown to reverse in the presence of iodine supplementation after 3-4 months.

    If you are interested in being tested for iodine deficiency, the urine iodine challenge test is the best way to assess your iodine level.

    Bromine and Your Thyroid
    Adding to the negative health effects of bromine, the damage to your thyroid health deserves special mention.

    As stated in the first part of this article, bromine exposure depletes your body's iodine by competing with iodine receptors. Iodine is crucial for thyroid function. Without iodine, your thyroid gland would be completely unable to produce thyroid hormone.

    Even the names of the different forms of thyroid hormone reflect the number of iodine molecules attached -- T4 has four attached iodine molecules, and T3 (the biologically active form of the hormone) has three--showing what an important part iodine plays in thyroid biochemistry.

    Hypothyroidism is far more prevalent than once thought in the U.S. The latest estimates are that 13 million Americans have hypothyroidism, but the actual numbers are probably higher. Some experts claim that 10 to40 percent of Americans have suboptimal thyroid function.

    Many of these folks may actually have nothing wrong with their thyroid gland at all -- they may just be suffering from iodine deficiency.

    Seven Tips for Avoiding Bromine and Optimizing Iodine

    Trying to avoid bromine is like trying to avoid air pollution -- all you can do is minimize your exposure. That said, here are a few things you can do to minimize your risk:

    1. Eat organic as often as possible. Wash all produce thoroughly. This will minimize your pesticide exposure.

    2. Avoid eating or drinking from (or storing food and water in) plastic containers. Use glass and safe ceramic vessels.

    3. Look for organic whole-grain breads and flour. Grind you own grain, if possible. Look for the "no bromine" or "bromine-free" label on commercial baked goods.

    4. Avoid sodas. Drink natural, filtered water instead.

    5. If you own a hot tub, look into an ozone purification system. Such systems make it possible to keep the water clean with minimal chemical treatments.

    6. Look for personal care products that are as chemical-free as possible. Remember -- anything going on you, goes in you.

    7. When in a car or a building, open windows as often as possible, preferably on opposing sides of the space for cross ventilation. Utilize fans to circulate the air. Chemical pollutants are much higher inside buildings (and cars) than outside.

    Avoid Unfermented Soy
    Another major contributor to thyroid dysfunction that I did not discuss above is unfermented soy. Soy isoflavones can wreak havoc on your thyroid.

    Kaayla Daniel's groundbreaking book, The Whole Soy Story: The Dark Side of America's Favorite Health Food is a powerful exposé that reveals the truth about the soy myths that have infiltrated our culture.

    It's ironic that soy has become so accepted as a health food when, as Dr. Daniel states, thousands of studies link soy to malnutrition, digestive distress, immune-system breakdown, thyroid- and hormonal dysfunction, cognitive decline, reproductive disorders and infertility--even cancer and heart disease.

    So if you want to keep your thyroid healthy, you'll definitely want to avoid unfermented soy products of all kinds, including soy milk.

    Dr. Joseph Mercola is the founder and director of Mercola.com. Become a fan of Dr. Mercola on Facebook, on Twitter and check out Dr. Mercola's report on sun exposure!


    Follow Dr. Joseph Mercola on Twitter: www.twitter.com/mercola
    "No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another.” ~ Charles Dickens



  19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  20. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by MelissaWV View Post
    This is a good example of what I was saying earlier:


    Okay, so bromate was banned in the UK over 20 years ago. I am sure that since this chemical is increasing breast cancer rates, the rates have dropped by now in the UK in a measurable way among bread-eating Brits. Curiously, that is not mentioned in the article.
    Iodine deficiencies in the UK
    http://www.nleducation.co.uk/wp-cont...ads/iodine.pdf
    "No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another.” ~ Charles Dickens

  21. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by ghengis86 View Post
    I used to be a senior chemist with an R&D lab; I fully support this post.

    Yes, we should be aware of what is in our food. But as detection limits are pushed (ppb is now the standard ppm used to be; ppt as in trillion is coming), you're going to find certains compounds in anything you test.

    Again, being informed is good; obeing overly reactionary to something that is made to sound scary, on a subject with little native understanding is not so good.

    I think it's the discerning mind of the people here that is so appealing. We shouldn't take anything at face value, even if it fits well in our views of the world. Selection bias is a bitch!
    Thank you, thank you, thank you. I was going to break down into a sniveling mess if nobody could understand the point I was trying to make.
    Well, I got Rand started on his campaign (just search around here to see). I advised Thomas Massie before he ran for Congress. I am currently advising 2 liberty campaigns for the state legislature. I ran the war-room and won Minnesota for Ron Paul a few weeks back. There are other things I'm probably forgetting.
    Yet I can't afford $200 to go to a seminar--Matt Collins

  22. #19
    Top Rated Influencer Danke's Avatar


    Posts
    41,852
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    So if I eat peanut butter with spicy food, my ass won't burn anymore?

  23. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2 View Post
    I don't know about anyone else, but I'm not making that argument. Read this study...

    http://www.nicnas.gov.au/Consultatio...s_HBCD_PDF.pdf

    It talks about toxicity in rats, which is bothersome. I don't really care what else it is used for.
    Why not post that article in the OP if that was your argument? If you bought into the fearmongering style of Huffington Post, it's okay, many people do--but just know that the OP's initial argument is not scientifically sound. Don't have time now to read the second article you posted, but I'll second Genghis on his mention of PPB/PPT, and relevance to this as well.
    Well, I got Rand started on his campaign (just search around here to see). I advised Thomas Massie before he ran for Congress. I am currently advising 2 liberty campaigns for the state legislature. I ran the war-room and won Minnesota for Ron Paul a few weeks back. There are other things I'm probably forgetting.
    Yet I can't afford $200 to go to a seminar--Matt Collins

  24. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    So if I eat peanut butter with spicy food, my ass won't burn anymore?
    You should take the lighters away from the hookers you try to stiff, so to speak.
    Well, I got Rand started on his campaign (just search around here to see). I advised Thomas Massie before he ran for Congress. I am currently advising 2 liberty campaigns for the state legislature. I ran the war-room and won Minnesota for Ron Paul a few weeks back. There are other things I'm probably forgetting.
    Yet I can't afford $200 to go to a seminar--Matt Collins

  25. #22
    Maybe this is a scam, since we cannot know which food it is?

  26. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Kluge View Post
    Why not post that article in the OP if that was your argument? If you bought into the fearmongering style of Huffington Post, it's okay, many people do--but just know that the OP's initial argument is not scientifically sound. Don't have time now to read the second article you posted, but I'll second Genghis on his mention of PPB/PPT, and relevance to this as well.
    I made my point clear in the OP. They are asserting that the chemical is dangerous (not simply that is has another use) and then go on to refuse to say where they found it. If they believe it is dangerous, I find it unethical for them not to disclose where they found it.
    We have allies many of you are not aware of. Watch the tube. Show this to your 30 and under friends. Listen to it. Even if you don't like rap, it has 2.7 million views.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmBnvajSfWU#t=0m16s

    Cut off one min early to avoid war porn.

  27. #24
    This further supports my point that the majority of food you buy at the mainstream supermarkets is garbage. There is no reason for unnecessary chemicals to be in your food.



  28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  29. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2 View Post
    I made my point clear in the OP. They are asserting that the chemical is dangerous (not simply that is has another use) and then go on to refuse to say where they found it. If they believe it is dangerous, I find it unethical for them not to disclose where they found it.
    Agreed. However, they are using a common fear tactic, and not sound logic in order to drive the point home and score more hits.

    The HP article, overall, shouldn't be taken seriously until they stop using such tactics and give full information about findings (such as quantity found, at minimum). No skin off my teeth anyways, I don't eat peanut butter, and probably won't anytime in the near future. Bad balance of fatty acids (that won't change whether organic or not), and they use tons of pesticides on standard-farmed peanuts.

    Just stop eating them, or only eat them in very small amounts. After the kid goes to sleep, I might take more of a look into it, just out of curiosity--unless I find something that interests me more.
    Well, I got Rand started on his campaign (just search around here to see). I advised Thomas Massie before he ran for Congress. I am currently advising 2 liberty campaigns for the state legislature. I ran the war-room and won Minnesota for Ron Paul a few weeks back. There are other things I'm probably forgetting.
    Yet I can't afford $200 to go to a seminar--Matt Collins

  30. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Kluge View Post
    Why not post that article in the OP if that was your argument? If you bought into the fearmongering style of Huffington Post, it's okay, many people do--but just know that the OP's initial argument is not scientifically sound. Don't have time now to read the second article you posted, but I'll second Genghis on his mention of PPB/PPT, and relevance to this as well.

    Also, I was posting more info for you since you were busy dismissing it without looking - and YOU clearly missed my point in the OP. I even clearly stated it twice. As far as ghengis's point, I agree. What would constitute a dangerous level is not within my sphere of knowledge.
    We have allies many of you are not aware of. Watch the tube. Show this to your 30 and under friends. Listen to it. Even if you don't like rap, it has 2.7 million views.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmBnvajSfWU#t=0m16s

    Cut off one min early to avoid war porn.

  31. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Kluge View Post
    Agreed. However, they are using a common fear tactic, and not sound logic in order to drive the point home and score more hits.

    The HP article, overall, shouldn't be taken seriously until they stop using such tactics and give full information about findings (such as quantity found, at minimum).
    There were also other articles, but the huffington post article actually contained way more information than the other 4-5 I saw. Believe it or not, the others were probably heavier on scare tactics and lighter on information.
    We have allies many of you are not aware of. Watch the tube. Show this to your 30 and under friends. Listen to it. Even if you don't like rap, it has 2.7 million views.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmBnvajSfWU#t=0m16s

    Cut off one min early to avoid war porn.

  32. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2 View Post
    There were also other articles, but the huffington post article actually contained way more information than the other 4-5 I saw. Believe it or not, the others were probably heavier on scare tactics and lighter on information.
    That hardly inspires confidence in the "findings."

    Listen, I know you think I'm a bitch for pointing out the obvious, but those fear tactics are in your OP--and you shouldn't have included them if it isn't your point, only what is pertinent and quantifiable. Having a chemical that's in a fire retardant (in your title), is not. Stop getting mad, I'm not hating, I don't think you're stupid--I just wish that people wouldn't post sensationalistic stuff like that. I've done it before on here, and I'll do it again.

    If it makes you feel better, I did get -repped and called a "troll," which is fine by me, as I don't mind -rep. I didn't miss your points, I ignored them because you used the same fear tactics as HP used. Big difference.
    Well, I got Rand started on his campaign (just search around here to see). I advised Thomas Massie before he ran for Congress. I am currently advising 2 liberty campaigns for the state legislature. I ran the war-room and won Minnesota for Ron Paul a few weeks back. There are other things I'm probably forgetting.
    Yet I can't afford $200 to go to a seminar--Matt Collins

  33. #29
    So you're saying that if I'm in a fire and there's no escape, I can slap on some Jiffy and escape? Thanks government, you think of everything.
    "Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces."-Étienne de La Boétie

  34. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by ghengis86 View Post
    I used to be a senior chemist with an R&D lab; I fully support this post.

    Yes, we should be aware of what is in our food. But as detection limits are pushed (ppb is now the standard ppm used to be; ppt as in trillion is coming), you're going to find certains compounds in anything you test.

    Again, being informed is good; obeing overly reactionary to something that is made to sound scary, on a subject with little native understanding is not so good.

    I think it's the discerning mind of the people here that is so appealing. We shouldn't take anything at face value, even if it fits well in our views of the world. Selection bias is a bitch!
    I don't care how small the amounts are, they will still have some kind of effect on the human body. Humans had not been exposed to all these crazy, synthetic chemicals until the start of the 1940s. Since then, scientific research about the possible effects on the human body has been suppressed in the interest of larger profits for CEOs and shareholders. You can't logically sit there and pretend we know everything there is to know about these chemicals. I mean c'mon, we've known about water for our entire existence and we still don't completely understand it. Whenever you add a foreign object to a functioning system, you will see disorder ensue. Why? Because the system was not designed to operate in that fashion. The same applies to the human body; if the chemical cannot be found in the natural world where humans would have came into contact with it, it probably will cause some unforeseen consequences. I'm going to side with Mother Nature on this one, she has way more experience and a much better track record than 'modern science'.

    Until man duplicates a blade of grass, nature can laugh at his so-called scientific knowledge.... ~Thomas Edison
    Last edited by wrestlingwes_8; 06-03-2012 at 11:35 AM.
    Those who expect to reap the blessings of liberty must undergo the fatigues of supporting it ~Thomas Paine

    Americans used to roar like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security ~Norman Vincent Peale

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-24-2013, 03:00 PM
  2. How To Make A Peanut Butter And Jelly Sandwich
    By eduardo89 in forum Open Discussion
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 11-30-2013, 10:58 PM
  3. Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches racist?
    By phill4paul in forum U.S. Political News
    Replies: 68
    Last Post: 11-24-2013, 05:13 PM
  4. How to Make a Peanut Butter and Pickle Sandwich...
    By wgadget in forum Open Discussion
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 01-30-2012, 05:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •