Thread: Romney/Rand Paul Ticket a reality?

Romney/Rand Paul Ticket a reality?

I don't know what to think about this.

"One is the presumptive Republican Party nominee for president and the other is the offspring of the likely candidate’s only GOP challenger. And, for now, that's all that's known about a recent closed-door meeting between Mitt Romney and Rand Paul."

http://rt.com/usa/news/paul-party-romney-rand-521/

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    No. Their views on civil liberties and foreign policy are too far apart. All it would do is cause a media circus for Romney by being asked everyday whether or not he agrees with Rand to end foreign aid to Israel, to immediately pull out of Afghanistan, or if he would reauthorize the Patriot Act.

It's not going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by tsai3904 View Post
    No. Their views on civil liberties and foreign policy are too far apart. All it would do is cause a media circus for Romney by being asked everyday whether or not he agrees with Rand to end foreign aid to Israel, to immediately pull out of Afghanistan, or if he would reauthorize the Patriot Act.

It's not going to happen.
    Given its VERY unlikely BUT; if there ever was a candidate that was adept enough to pull off a flipflop to such a degree as to go full tilt anti-war, and pro civil rights in the general election it would by Flip Romney. And if the polls showed it would give him a win, I could see him doing it. note: I'm not saying he would mean it.

i think its nice to have polar opposites for prseident and VP. that way, you have a voice of opposition to consider. instead of a yes man, you have a no man that tell's you no and why.

Quote Originally Posted by alucard13mmfmj View Post
    i think its nice to have polar opposites for prseident and VP. that way, you have a voice of opposition to consider. instead of a yes man, you have a no man that tell's you no and why.
    Yes its nice but from a political campaign point of view, it's a nightmare. Do you think Romney would rather have the discussion focus on Obama and jobs or on the glaring differences in views between him and Rand Paul?

The media will be all over everything Rand has every said including the Civil Rights Act and ending foreign aid to Israel. Romney will not want to spend his time defending those comments which is why Rand won't get picked.

Even if Romney offers it, Rand would be insane to take the deal.

Let's keep in mind that over the past few generations, the quasi-official "job" of the VP is to support the President's political positions. It's considered a major faux pas when the veep breaks with the President's official line in any way, shape or form. Just look at the kerfluffle that happened recently when Biden jumped out in front of Obama in announcing he (Biden) supported gay marriage, leaving Obama to follow.

Rand, as VP, would either be forced to defend all of Romney's political positions and "take one for the team" to borrow a quote from Santorum, or else he would be forced into a confrontation with President Romney (God I hate the sound of that!) on almost every major policy issue.

To do the former would be to compromise every shred of dignity and integrity Rand has, and to do the latter would lead him to be viewed as a troublemaker and malcontent by the rest of the Republican party, thereby nixing any chance he would have of running for the Presidency after Romney.

I just can't see Rand making this jump.

I still say Ron as VP makes a lot more sense. He brings much more to the ticket.

Ron as VP would be a losing ticket. you can't have two candidates that different running on the same ticket. it would be a nightmare. Ticket wouldn't get 45%
    Please consider donating to the Mises Caucus today. We are TAKING OVER the LP.

We have big plans including creating a program to bring libertarians like Maj Toure and Tom Woods to college campuses.

We have several LP Mises Caucus Members who won elected office in 2020 including multiple City Council seats.

Your recurring donation is what helps us to set these ideas into motion.

Donate today at www.TakeHumanAction.com

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I believe it is highly unlikely to happen, for many of the reasons already stated, and more. According to yesterdays? Rasmussen daily tracking poll, Obama and Romney were tied at 45% each. That leaves 10% who are undecided or neither. Seems to me that if you average out all of the states primary voting, each state has been voting at least 10% for Ron Paul. The two 10% figures aren't one and the same, but they are closer than not. I do personally believe that Rand would be a bigger plus than minus to the ticket, and the best choice if defeating Obama is the goal.

One thing I do know is that you never know how these things will work out or come to pass. Much vetting and charts will be drawn up on all the possible vp picks, with all of the known up and downsides written out in red ink. But then again, ya just never know... A good case in point is "“I can’t take him,” Reagan said of Bush. “That ‘voodoo economic policy’ charge and his stand on abortion are wrong.” But on "the third evening of the 1980 Republican convention, George W. Bush’s father was scarcely on Ronald Reagan’s mind. By the end of the night, he was Reagan’s vice-presidential nominee." A good article and worth the read http://www.hoover.org/publications/h...t/article/7991

I'm reminded of the McKinley/TR ticket some 110 years ago

Progressive TR was raising hell all over New York (I forget if he was the Mayor of NYC, or the governor of NY). So to get rid of him the establishment made him McKinley's VP. Of course this backfired epically when anarchist Leon Czolgosz assassinated McKinley and what was a third party movement in the late 1800s became the prevailing thought.

That's what I think will stop a Romney/Paul ticket. Paul's fear that he will be marginalized (how can he filibuster an Iran war as the Vice president?) and Romney's fear that the only thing between those "crazy libertarians" and the white house is a bullet to his head.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Given its VERY unlikely BUT; if there ever was a candidate that was adept enough to pull off a flipflop to such a degree as to go full tilt anti-war, and pro civil rights in the general election it would by Flip Romney. And if the polls showed it would give him a win, I could see him doing it. note: I'm not saying he would mean it.
    Right! Romney is the biggest flip-flopper there ever was. Which is why I think it would be very hard for Rand to accept a VP slot from him.

It seems like it would make great political sense. Rand could bring in all the right wing Republican voters that don't like Romney, which would allow Romney to become much more moderate in rhetoric for the general election, bringing in lots of white Democrats as well.

Invisibility needs the assistance of Identity,
    And you know chameleons lack credibility.
    Who is it that can best fill both labels?
    Rumors are Ryan or Rubio—I think neither is able.

Mr. Ryan has credibility—Mr. Rubio might be,
    But neither can identify Invisibility.
    Consider: Invisibility always blends right in;
    And Rs must cast aside stiff shirts or be forgotten.

They too, lack identity--must instill nonconformity,
    And augment their candidate of conventionality,
    With one man’s ideology— their best VP nominee,
    Is none other than the Son of Liberty.

T Kosciuszko

It is rational state,
    And evidence to substantiate,
    That the lure of reward,
    Is the spring-board,
    For free-market Capitalism;
    Thus, you prefer Libertarianism!
    Last edited by Thaddeus Kosciuszko; 05-31-2012 at 08:51 PM.
    Human freedom is Imagination's most precious possession.

Rand is a neocon.

氷の造形魔法

Ice Wizard Power - Ice Make

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Fullbuster View Post
    Rand is a neocon.
    And if you believe that, I have a bridge to nowhere for sale that you may be interested in.

I wouldn't think the establishment is that dumb... Or, perhaps they think we are that dumb.

What I am saying is, a VP spot is useless and means very little. Sure, it helps with name exposure and a VP could potentially influence a little policy, but, not very much and more than likely wouldn't be anything important to liberty under Romney.

Even if Romney made Ron Paul his VP, it would mean little to me.
    Welcome to the R3VOLUTION!

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Okie RP fan View Post
    I wouldn't think the establishment is that dumb... Or, perhaps they think we are that dumb.

What I am saying is, a VP spot is useless and means very little. Sure, it helps with name exposure and a VP could potentially influence a little policy, but, not very much and more than likely wouldn't be anything important to liberty under Romney.

Even if Romney made Ron Paul his VP, it would mean little to me.
    Men Romney's age die of natural causes every single day, and from even less stressful jobs than president. Every 4 years, plenty of republicans vote, just on the hope that some liberal supreme court justice will die or retire.
    Last edited by specsaregood; 05-31-2012 at 09:34 PM.

Much was made about Sarah Palin being "one heartbeat away from the presidency". OK, I get that McCain is a lot older than 0Bama, but I heard NO one worrying that BIDEN "was one heartbeat away from the presidency", and still is today. And if that don't scare ya, I don't know what would.