Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Montana?

I almost went to college in bozeman, but ended up in tennessee. montana is a much nicer state and bozeman beats knoxville any day but unfortunately there were other factors. i would love to live in montana someday

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Sorry to hijack to Indiana, OP--just getting pretty excitable about Indiana. It's been sitting right under my nose all along.
    Well, I got Rand started on his campaign (just search around here to see). I advised Thomas Massie before he ran for Congress. I am currently advising 2 liberty campaigns for the state legislature. I ran the war-room and won Minnesota for Ron Paul a few weeks back. There are other things I'm probably forgetting.
    Yet I can't afford $200 to go to a seminar--Matt Collins

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kluge View Post
    I know--I read up on it. Great job!

The 10 acres we're looking at has annual taxes of $534, while 10 acres that we were looking at in MI had annual taxes of over $1,700. We'll be looking at two Indiana properties this week. One place we can buy outright, the other place, we'd have to finance $30k.
    Let me know if you'd like help finding properties. One of my clients sells investment properties here in Indiana and usually gets them cheap through their bank connections.
    "Those who slumber on the path to tyranny, sink on the river to freedom." - Brett D.

"I am not attacking you Eric. I am stating historical fact. Leon Trotsky taught Leo Straus everything he knew about Communism. Leo Straus set up shop at the University of Chicago. There Straus mentored and educated the godfather of the neoconservative movement, Kristol the Elder. See? It is not an attack, it is a statement of historical fact." - Random RP Supporter Spreading Some Love

Quote Originally Posted by dusman View Post
    Let me know if you'd like help finding properties. One of my clients sells investment properties here in Indiana and usually gets them cheap through their bank connections.
    I have two or three lined up to look at this week, but I'll PM you my email. Mostly looking in the NE corner of the state.
    Well, I got Rand started on his campaign (just search around here to see). I advised Thomas Massie before he ran for Congress. I am currently advising 2 liberty campaigns for the state legislature. I ran the war-room and won Minnesota for Ron Paul a few weeks back. There are other things I'm probably forgetting.

The problem I have with Indiana (and incidentally also with NH, Vermont, and Arizona) is the proximity of large population centers. Should the day ever come when the food distribution system breaks down, I want to be as far away as possible from the hungry mobs that will come pouring out of the cities like locusts. At that point, economic regulations will be meaningless. What will matter is whether the local community can feed itself and not be over-run by desperate mobs.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

Quote Originally Posted by Shane Harris View Post
    I almost went to college in bozeman, but ended up in tennessee. montana is a much nicer state and bozeman beats knoxville any day but unfortunately there were other factors. i would love to live in montana someday
    I spent my freshman year at Bozeman. That is my first choice of where to go.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

Quote Originally Posted by Acala View Post
    The problem I have with Indiana (and incidentally also with NH, Vermont, and Arizona) is the proximity of large population centers. Should the day ever come when the food distribution system breaks down, I want to be as far away as possible from the hungry mobs that will come pouring out of the cities like locusts. At that point, economic regulations will be meaningless. What will matter is whether the local community can feed itself and not be over-run by desperate mobs.
    Then you should take up the geographic area I pointed you...

I spent my freshman year at Bozeman. That is my first choice of where to go.
    I got gas there once , while driving through . Guy ( owner ) picked up my tab , fellow former Hoosier , was checking out all the crap plied up in my backseat and my plate ....

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Then you should take up the geographic area I pointed you...
    I think anywhere in Montana meets my listed criteria. And as long as those are met, I have other criteria as well. I don't want to live by myself in the middle of nowhere. I think community is critical for survival. And I would like to be able to get a job, lead a meditation class, get supplies without needing to use a snowmobile or canoe, talk to girls in the flesh, etc. So Bozeman or Missoula are my first choices.

I think anywhere in Montana meets my listed criteria. And as long as those are met, I have other criteria as well. I don't want to live by myself in the middle of nowhere. I think community is critical for survival. And I would like to be able to get a job, lead a meditation class, get supplies without needing to use a snowmobile or canoe, talk to girls in the flesh, etc. So Bozeman or Missoula are my first choices.
    Montana sounds great for you.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kluge View Post
    Montana sounds great for you.
    I've pretty much decided. Now to make it happen. And stock up on cold weather gear.

I've pretty much decided. Now to make it happen. And stock up on cold weather gear.
    Get yourself some of those snazzy wet proof , breathing socks .

Get yourself some of those snazzy wet proof , breathing socks .
    Would that be goretex?

Would that be goretex?
    Yes

Yes
    I was thinking I would make large goretex tabi-style socks to go over a pair of wool socks and a thin cotton inner sock and wear them with my waterproof tarahumara-style sandals. That should be good enough for anything but extended off trail treks.

Make sure to get yourself a good pair of insulated boots , extra pair of laces and good insulated golves & mittens for the winter.
    Last edited by oyarde; 06-20-2012 at 11:15 PM.

If you are going to be out cutting , splitting wood in the fall mornings ,or dusk, probably ought to go with a pair of insulated coveralls.

Make sure to get yourself a good pair of insulated boots , extra pair of laces and good insulated golves & mittens fo the winter.
    The problem is finding boots with a wide toe box, no arch, and no heel lift. Suggestions?

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The problem is finding boots with a wide toe box, no arch, and no heel lift. Suggestions?
    I have a pair similar to that , strangely enough , made by Converse , they were a gift ( no box ) , new , from a friend , but I checked the tongue and no model number , very comfy even new . That is odd for me , because boots usually take quite a bit of break in time , bad right foot , broken three times and the ball is quite a bit bigger than the other . So , I usually have to kind of wait until the one stretches out a bit . I used to just take all my old pairs to be repaired , re soled etc . to a cobbler in Columbus , Indiana , but he is even older than I and retired now .

If you can find some Moose hide winter Mocs and mittens , you may want to invest in that . My gal has a sewing business on the side , so , she can probably make repairs for you through the mail later down the road if needed.

So you want to live in Montana....

All joking aside. I love living in Montana. I would be happy to answer any questions. I will answer a few things posted in this thread so far...

1) The Freedom Index is a tool and has outdated info on Montana.

2) Yes, it gets cold but, we are not Antarctica. I work outside and never needed more than insulated Carhartts, decent boots and Merino wool socks.

3) Property is relatively expensive but, deals are to be had. I live right across the street from Flathead Lake and my 4 acres is currently valued at 175k. A couple hundred yards away the lakefront houses sell for over 1 million.

Anyway, I'll be glad to share anything I know. Either here or in PM.
    “The state can't give you freedom, and the state can't take it away. You're born with it, like your eyes, like your ears. Freedom is something you assume, then you wait for someone to try to take it away. The degree to which you resist is the degree to which you are free.” ~ Utah Phillips

I want to live in Montana or Idaho really bad, but I have clue where to start when it comes to jobs. I live in Ohio and have one year left to go in college. I'm a history major (no practical options with that) so I feel as though I would need to either go to grad school there or learn a trade for a more blue-collar occupation.
    "Power tends to confuse itself with virtue...conferring upon it a special responsibility for other nations—to make them richer and happier and wiser, to remake them, that is, in its own shining image. Power confuses itself with virtue and tends also to take itself for omnipotence. Once imbued with the idea of a mission, a great nation easily assumes that it has the means as well as the duty to do God's work." - William Fulbright

Why not North Dakota?
    "Freedom, then Pizza!" - Oklahoma State GOP Convention 5/11/2012

"Please come to Indiana in the springtime, the winters are cold and the summers are humid all the time..."
    Not bad really. Last winter was really mild, planting season was early, but it has been hot and dry this summer so far, land is fairly inexpensive and the Liberty rating is 3rd place in the country (right now).
    "When a portion of wealth is transferred from the person who owns it—without his consent and without compensation, and whether by force or by fraud—to anyone who does not own it, then I say that property is violated; that an act of plunder is committed." - Bastiat : The Law

"nothing evil grows in alcohol" ~ @presence

"I mean can you imagine what it would be like if firemen acted like police officers? They would only go into a burning house only if there's a 100% chance they won't get any burns. I mean, you've got to fully protect thy self first." ~ juleswin

Most of ND is way too flat for me, I love being by the mountains.
    "Power tends to confuse itself with virtue...conferring upon it a special responsibility for other nations—to make them richer and happier and wiser, to remake them, that is, in its own shining image. Power confuses itself with virtue and tends also to take itself for omnipotence. Once imbued with the idea of a mission, a great nation easily assumes that it has the means as well as the duty to do God's work." - William Fulbright

bump

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitMan View Post
    Why not North Dakota?
    North Dakota is a good choice from the very practical perspective of cheap land, small government, and abudant food and water. But the scenery is just bleak.

I live in whitefish or kali. I love montana. Seriously. Everything is better here. It is literally paradise.
    Best of luck in life.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12