Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: John Brunner (Candidate For US Senate From MO) Is a Quasi-Liberty Candidate

John Brunner (Candidate For US Senate From MO) Is a Quasi-Liberty Candidate

I've been doing everything I can to try and figure out if there is a candidate worth supporting in MO and that candidate looks to be John Brunner, who happens to be the front-runner.

Now, Mr. Brunner has run a very very generic, republican campaign. I mean his rhetoric (like all politicians nowadays) is friendly to our ideals but he didn't really do do or say much out of the very tight GOP rhetoric box. However, his father did contribute to Ron Paul's campaign in the 90's so that was the first thing i found out in diggin for info.

I also ran across this over on DP.....

I just wanted everyone to know that Missouri has a constitutional candidate who says one of his biggest inspirations for seeking office is Ron Paul. He is a veteran and founder of Germ-X. Take the time to like him on Facebook he took the time to stop by St. Louis for Ron Paul offices and talk to us. We need to support others besides Ron Paul.

His favorite book Liberty Defined!!!!

Even more important than that I've seen my local FB group get behind him so i think there has been a wink and nod that he is the guy to support. He was endorsed by Sen. Coburn and Johnson as well.

Like i said, he's run a very generic campaign and i'm not expecting much but this is at least better than Steelman and Akin. I had Steelman as a teacher at MO State and she is very much a Reagan-esque conservative. She did talk a lot about cutting but also she was very hawkish. Akin is a congressman who supports making the patriot act permanent and was a bush era crony.

In conclusion, i would ask that you simply share any info you have about why or why not this guy is any good and I'll do the same. Ill admit im excited that there's a chance that he could be pretty good.
    Please consider donating to the Mises Caucus today. We are TAKING OVER the LP.

We have big plans including creating a program to bring libertarians like Maj Toure and Tom Woods to college campuses.

We have several LP Mises Caucus Members who won elected office in 2020 including multiple City Council seats.

Your recurring donation is what helps us to set these ideas into motion.

Donate today at www.TakeHumanAction.com

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    just saw a recent ppp poll that had it at...

steelman 28 - brunner 25 - akin 23

We have big plans including creating a program to bring libertarians like Maj Toure and Tom Woods to college campuses.

We have several LP Mises Caucus Members who won elected office in 2020 including multiple City Council seats.

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2...enate-primary/

Long interviews with the three candidates – all conservatives – convinced [FreedomWorks] that Mr. Brunner, a former Marine Corp infantry officer, had “the deepest intellectual background in free market economics” of the three, Mr. Pappa said.

He allied himself with the Senate’s most stalwart conservatives, Kentucky’s Rand Paul, Oklahoma’s Tom Coburn, and South Carolina’s Jim DeMint.

Mr. Brunner also seconded Mr. Mourdock’s call for less cooperation and more conservative leadership.
    Also, for what it's worth, he does support State Rep Paul Curtman, who is probably well known as a Ron Paul supporter.

Quote Originally Posted by tsai3904 View Post
    http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2...enate-primary/

Also, for what it's worth, he does support State Rep Paul Curtman, who is probably well known as a Ron Paul supporter.

yup, i actually started looking to see who Paul had endorsed for senator and that is how i figured out Brunner was allying himself with us.

bump for importance.

To trey4sports: I don't agree with you on everything, but on this subject of Brunner vs. Steelman vs. Akin, I agree with you quite well on your support for Mr. Brunner or Ms. Steelman. I also thank you for bringing this subject up! One of the people at RedState and the Madison Project is endorsing Todd Akin, who is pretty good if you compare him to the rest of the delegation, but I don't think he is deserves a promotion (especially when we have two other excellent candidates to choose from)!

I'm a pretty huge fan of Senators Coburn and Johnson (they are on my top 10 favorite senators list (below Senators Paul, Lee, and Demint), so their endorsement of Mr. Brunner is pretty significant. John Brunner has also been endorsed by Freedomworks (who has also endorsed Thomas Massie, Rand Paul, Justin Amash, etc.). He seems pretty genuine in his support for cutting spending and the Constitution, and I think he would make a great senator. I wish he would go a little more in depth on the issues though.

I also like Ms. Steelman because she would bring another pro-life woman's voice to the US Senate. I do have some concerns on her since she accepted funding during her race for Treasurer from big labor unions (like the Missouri AFL-CIO)...although they no longer donated to her after she fought against them during her time in leadership. I think she would make a fabulous senator, especially because the Democrats would be crying that another GOP lady is in Congress opposing their ideas. This would be another point against their claim that the GOP "hates women". Also, Ms. Steelman has been good at responding to commenters on her Facebook page.

I think that any of the three candidates (Brunner, Steelman, or Akin) would bring great relief after years of McCaskill's terrible reign. Let's stop sending Senator McCaskill to the senate and send her to retirement!

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    bump

We need upgrades wherever we can get them. Thanks for sharing!

bump

Seems like the superior candidate. If he likes Ron Paul's books then that is certainly a plus.
    "Unlike my opponents, I'm not running from my voting record. I'm not running from my public statements. I'm not running from my predictions. I'm running on them." -Ron Paul

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." - H.L. Mencken

I am a non-interventionist,anti-Fed, anti-drug war socially conservative Paul supporter(i.e. paleocon)

bump. he spoke at the MO GOP and it wasn't great.

Quote Originally Posted by trey4sports View Post
    bump. he spoke at the MO GOP and it wasn't great.
    What do you mean? Is he a bad orator?

He's worth supporting. Quasi liberty candidates are better than establishment ones after all.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaAvenger View Post
    What do you mean? Is he a bad orator?
    yes, but i keep waiting for him to give some red meat and his speeches are about as VAGUE as possible. It's not that he said anything bad, it's just that he hasnt said anything good. His speeches are 100% focus panel approved and dont deviate one bit.

hes been endorsed by freedomworks, sen. coburn, ron johnson, and he even stopped in a Ron Paul office and mentioned how his favorite book was liberty defined. That is essentially why i'm supporting the guy. In my mind it's better to support him and take a CHANCE he's good on civil liberties and the police state as opposed to voting for either akin or steelman who are both bad on civil liberties and defense.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    yes, but i keep waiting for him to give some red meat and his speeches are about as VAGUE as possible. It's not that he said anything bad, it's just that he hasnt said anything good. His speeches are 100% focus panel approved and dont deviate one bit.

hes been endorsed by freedomworks, sen. coburn, ron johnson, and he even stopped in a Ron Paul office and mentioned how his favorite book was liberty defined. That is essentially why i'm supporting the guy. In my mind it's better to support him and take a CHANCE he's good on civil liberties and the police state as opposed to voting for either akin or steelman who are both bad on civil liberties and defense.
    Yeah, I agree with that strategy.

I live about 3 minutes away from his campaign office at Olive and 270 in STL. I'll try to find him there one day and ask him directly so we can get some clarification.

Quote Originally Posted by pauljmccain View Post
    I live about 3 minutes away from his campaign office at Olive and 270 in STL. I'll try to find him there one day and ask him directly so we can get some clarification.

+rep

that would be great.

Debate on right now (started at 8:30 PM ET):

http://www.971talk.com/debate/

I've had my eye on Brunner and have been meaning to call his office. Akin is a statist, I'm not voting for him.
    How have you helped spread the message of Liberty, Peace, & Prosperity today?
    "Liberty, when it begins to take root, is a plant of rapid growth." -George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by MJU1983 View Post
    I've had my eye on Brunner and have been meaning to call his office. Akin is a statist, I'm not voting for him.

word, but what a great orator though!?

Anyway, i had steelman at MO State and I wasn't impressed. I remember her murming about the FED needing to LOWER rates in '09. Jeesh. Anyway, Brunner seems to be running a super generic campaign and doesn't say $#@! except that he is going to be a "citizen senator."

word, but what a great orator though!?

Anyway, i had steelman at MO State and I wasn't impressed. I remember her murming about the FED needing to LOWER rates in '09. Jeesh. Anyway, Brunner seems to be running a super generic campaign and doesn't say $#@! except that he is going to be a "citizen senator."
    Who? Todd Akin?

I haven't seen anything good about Steelman.

Brunner originally talked a lot about the Constitution, which is nice and sometimes rare in today's politics.
    How have you helped spread the message of Liberty, Peace, & Prosperity today?
    "Liberty, when it begins to take root, is a plant of rapid growth." -George Washington

We have both Brunner and Steelman on our list. (Brunner rated higher).

Should we change this at all?

Missouri
    Primary: Aug 07, 2012

John Brunner (R) - (purity: ★★★★☆)
    Sarah Steelman (R) - (purity: ★★☆☆☆)
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    We have both Brunner and Steelman on our list. (Brunner rated higher).

Should we change this at all?
    I've went back and forth on John Brunner. He told a Ron Paul group that Ron's book Liberty Defined is his favorite book and that he really likes Ron. Of course his campaign speeches have been exceptionally generic and I haven't heard a murmur out of him about the important liberty issues of the day.

For now, i'd leave it at Brunner 4 and Steelman 3 and I'll bump this if and when things change.

Quote Originally Posted by MJU1983 View Post
    Who? Todd Akin?

I haven't seen anything good about Steelman.

Brunner originally talked a lot about the Constitution, which is nice and sometimes rare in today's politics.

Steelman is at least willing to take unpopular positions. At last nights debate she told a local police officer that she WOULDN'T secure federal grants in order to stave off potential PD cuts in MO as it is unconstitiutional. Which is quite impressive. She has also been endorsed by Mike Lee.

She is a hawk though and during my time at MO State we talked about the patriot act and she made it clear that she supported the Patriot act. She did at least pay lip service to exhausting all non-military options when dealing with Syria and if we use force we should do it, and get out. It is interesting to note that Todd Akin took a line from Ron Paul's book and said we need to just stay out of Syria. Period. We can't right every wrong in the world. Too bad he supported the Patriot Act, and NDAA!

The only reason Akin supported the Patriot Act is because it had sunset provisions. He has stated openly that he would not have voted for it otherwise. I have heard others say Akin wants to make Patriot permanent...totally untrue.

Quote Originally Posted by deforrest View Post
    The only reason Akin supported the Patriot Act is because it had sunset provisions. He has stated openly that he would not have voted for it otherwise. I have heard others say Akin wants to make Patriot permanent...totally untrue.
    What difference do sunset provisions make? Are you saying Akin supports the Patriot Act for 5 years but not 6 years? That makes no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by deforrest View Post

what are you talking about?? You need to check your facts before you post.

Voted NO on prohibiting job discrimination based on sexual orientation. (Nov 2007)
    Voted YES on Constitutionally defining marriage as one-man-one-woman. (Jul 2006)
    Voted YES on making the PATRIOT Act permanent. (Dec 2005)
    Voted YES on Constitutional Amendment banning same-sex marriage. (Sep 2004)
    Voted YES on protecting the Pledge of Allegiance. (Sep 2004)
    Voted YES on constitutional amendment prohibiting flag desecration. (Jun 2003)
    Supports anti-flag desecration amendment. (Mar 2001)
    Rated 7% by the ACLU, indicating an anti-civil rights voting record. (Dec 2002)
    Rated 0% by the HRC, indicating an anti-gay-rights stance. (Dec 2006)
    Rated 22% by the NAACP, indicating an anti-affirmative-action stance. (Dec 2006)
    Amend Constitution to define traditional marriage. (Jun 2008)

not only that but the turd supports the NDAA!

A couple folks in my local liberty group have said that Brunner opposes the NDAA and that he understands austrian economics.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast