Thread: Rand Paul: Can He Save the Nation?

Rand Paul: Can He Save the Nation?

Well here's something to chew on today.

http://politics.gather.com/viewArtic...81474981363461

"A significant obstacle to a Romney win are Ron Paul voters and Tea Party voters who flat-out refuse to vote for Romney. Back in late March, when FreedomWorks decided to stop its opposition to Romney, there was a huge backlash from Tea Party members. A simple endorsement from Paul won't cut it and Romney better be bright enough to see that. Paul as vice-president is just about the only hope there is to save the republic as we know it."
    "We live in an age where things change rather rapidly, whether politically or economically and certainly in foreign policy things change, so this whole ball game can change rather rapidly.” ― Ron Paul

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    In light of recent events, shouldn't this be in the opposing candidates forum? ROFLMAO. JUST kidding.
    "Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
    —Charles Mackay

"god i fucking wanna rip his balls off and offer them to the gods"
    -Anonymous

The math isn't correct. A lot of Tea Partiers are 'rallying 'round the flag', and Romney's approval ratings among Republicans are nearly 90% (according to RealClearPolitics, as of about two weeks ago).

If he gains even ten percent more Hispanics by picking Rubio (not to mention Florida) then Rubio is the obvious pick- and, given how identity politics work, he'd gain more than just 10% assuming that Rubio doesn't do anything extremely stupid on the campaign.

Portman would give Romney Ohio but aside from that I don't think he offers much.

Christie would be a decent pick as well, I guess, for shoring up the Tea Party base.

If he picks Rubio it ensures I will never vote republican again, at any level. I won't vote democrat either, so don't get me wrong.
    No one reads signatures.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivash View Post
    The math isn't correct. A lot of Tea Partiers are 'rallying 'round the flag', and Romney's approval ratings among Republicans are nearly 90% (according to RealClearPolitics, as of about two weeks ago).

If he gains even ten percent more Hispanics by picking Rubio (not to mention Florida) then Rubio is the obvious pick- and, given how identity politics work, he'd gain more than just 10% assuming that Rubio doesn't do anything extremely stupid on the campaign.

Portman would give Romney Ohio but aside from that I don't think he offers much.

Christie would be a decent pick as well, I guess, for shoring up the Tea Party base.
    Romney's approval ratings are NOT 90%.
    "Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
    —Charles Mackay

"god i fucking wanna rip his balls off and offer them to the gods"
    -Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by Ivash View Post
    Romney's approval ratings among Republicans are nearly 90% (according to RealClearPolitics, as of about two weeks ago).
    This rating is a survey on how many people believe that Mitt Romney is a tool.
    Definition of political insanity: Voting for the same people expecting different results.

The Tea Party is a fickle demographic. They hold loose convictions that coincide with ours maybe more than others, but do not carry firm principles. Romney just needs to pick someone they perceive to be roughly "on their side" and they will vote for the lesser of two evils like always. I just don't see the advantage of taking on a potential troublemaker like Rand Paul, unless, of course, he promises not to be a troublemaker.

He picks Rand if he feeld he needs feet on the ground, Rubio if he is really focused on Florida.

I'm not sure that gets me to vote Repub thus year. I'd have to see cabinet selections and in all honesty I think Rand can do more in the Senate. Having him there has been very beneficial.
    Libertarians - trying to improve the world through ideas and free markets rather than legislation and prisons.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    A period of 'rallying round the flag' was expected, but I'd like to clarify that the poll was a question of Romney vs. Obama rather than a straight up 'do you like Romney or not?'

Rubio is good for more than just Florida (though you shouldn't discount those 29 Electoral Votes). But word is from some of the senior guys in Romney's camp that the thing they want to avoid most is another Palin, which makes me believe that they are looking mostly at Portman and are just going to hope that Florida falls into their lap. It would be a foolish choice in my opinion, but it might work out if the economy does not improve before the election.

No thanks. I'll take 4 more of the devil I know then the devil I don't. The lesser of 2 evils is still evil

Just googled lesser of 2 evils and came up with this bumper sticker: http://www.zazzle.com/cr/design/pt-z...d_dialog=false

Has a quote by John Quincy Adams: Always vote for principal, though you may vote alone - and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.

I think its going to be my new mantra!!

If they think they need a Hispanic on the ticket, they should go with Susana Martinez rather than Rubio. Rubio is not that popular anymore with grassroots conservatives due to his Dream Act and a few other things. Plus, his neocon foreign policy would be poison with independants. And lastly, he's had trouble managing his money and that might prove embarassing to Mitt's campaign. I agree that Portman really wouldn't bring anything. Martinez would also be more helpful than Rubio in states like Coloroda and Nevada.

Quote Originally Posted by steph3n View Post
    If he picks Rubio it ensures I will never vote republican again, at any level. I won't vote democrat either, so don't get me wrong.
    Rubio's not constitutionally eligible to be VP or President for that matter.

The Vice President has no power, and his sole point in being is succession in case of death (let's not go into being President of the Senate.., a power used what...once?). Whoever they have working the magic to keep Cheney alive will definitely be Romney's physician, so that's out the window. I can't believe how naive the author is to state that Ron Paul being VP to Romney would save 'the country', whatever that may be. I could care less about the country, but I do care about individual liberty, and I am to the point where those are becoming mutually exclusive.
    School of Salamanca - School of Austrian Economics - Liberty, Private Property, Free-Markets, Voluntaryist, Agorist. le monde va de lui męme

"No man hath power over my rights and liberties, and I over no mans [sic]."

What, sir, is the use of a militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty.

www.mises.org
    www.antiwar.com
    An Arrow Against all Tyrants - Richard Overton vis. 1646 (Required reading!)

Quote Originally Posted by steph3n View Post
    Really, that's the straw that break the camels back ? lol

To the OP, VP has no power and would not help anything.

I really hope Rand doesn't endorse, he has already gotten to close for my liking.
    Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa
    Liberty works best not because liberty is without responsibility, but because responsibility is part of the deal. Capitalism works best not because capitalists love us and want us to be happy, but because the more government you have, the more government they can buy, and if they have no government to buy then all they can do instead is compete--compete to serve us better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ʇɔɐ ʇoıɹʇɐd
    I heart BTC! - 1AesnP1c7wyjzJhaKZajkixo9tthZRQzjB

'Vote for Romney, at Least He's Not a Commie!' Yes! I'd much rather have a fascist than a commie any day! Both are $#@!ing turds.

I pray to GOD Rand stabs all these people in the back some day.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.