Thread: CT-Cop shoots dog dead, tells 12 y/o girl, "your dog isn't going to make it".

Exclamation CT-Cop shoots dog dead, tells 12 y/o girl, "your dog isn't going to make it".

An older case, just now going to trial.

Be interesting to see if any justice is done here.

Trial To Begin Monday In Lawsuit Over Dog Fatally Shot By Hartford Police

May 17, 2012|By CHRISTINE DEMPSEY, cdempsey@courant.com, The Hartford Courant

http://articles.courant.com/2012-05-...bark-and-snarl

HARTFORD — —

Two city police officers are being sued on a claim that they shot a family dog in front of its 12-year-old owner after entering the backyard of her Enfield Street residence without a warrant.

Police claimed that a snarling St. Bernard charged at them when they went into the yard to investigate a report that guns were stashed in a vehicle there.

A jury trial is scheduled to begin Monday before Judge Robert N. Chatigny in U.S. District Court in Hartford.

Glen Harris, who is listed as the minor's guardian, filed the federal lawsuit in 2008 against the city of Hartford and two officers who were at the 2006 shooting scene, Officers John O'Hare and Anthony Pia. Pia is now a detective. Harris' lawyer, Jon L. Schoenhorn, declined to comment, citing the upcoming trial.

Calls to O'Hare, Pia and other police staff were not returned. The lawyer representing the officers, Thomas R. Gerarde, also could not be reached.

According to court documents, the Harris family had two St. Bernards that were "good-tempered and obedient" and "never bit anyone."

The 12-year-old, a girl identified only as "K.H." in court documents, had developed a special relationship with one of the dogs, named Seven.

"She felt she could talk to him and that he would listen, understand, and comfort her in a way that no one else could," a court memorandum states.

On Dec. 20, 2006, according to the memorandum, O'Hare and Pia walked into the Harris' backyard at 297 Enfield St. without a warrant. As they rounded the back corner of the house, they saw a St. Bernard, Seven, begin to move toward them. They turned and ran back the way they came, along the north side of the house, toward the front yard, the document states.

The girl ran around the other side of the house "in an effort to head off Seven's path through the front yard," it states. The girl heard two shots before she got to the front yard.

When she arrived, she saw O'Hare standing over Seven, who had fallen to the ground. The dog was breathing heavily and his tail was wagging weakly, the document states. She screamed, "Don't shoot my dog."

According to the document, "O'Hare looked at K.H., then back to the dog, and shot the dog in the head." The girl ran to the dog, screaming and crying, after which O'Hare told her, "Sorry, miss, but your dog isn't going to make it," it states.

The third bullet caused the dog's death, the memorandum states. The document states that the girl had suicidal thoughts after the shooting and was hospitalized.

The suit accuses the officers of conducting an "illegal search," calling their presence a "warrantless invasion." With the exception of the driveway, the entire property is enclosed by fences or gates, and there were three "Beware of Dog" signs posted on the property, it states.

But according to a nine-page incident report filed by police, O'Hare and Pia had received a tip from a reliable source that two handguns were stashed in an abandoned vehicle in the backyard of 297 Enfield St. They went into the yard about 3:20 p.m., and a large, full-grown St. Bernard "immediately began to bark and snarl," the report states.

Both officers ran toward the front of the house with the dog in pursuit. Pia was able to get to a sidewalk on the other side of a fence, but O'Hare ended up in the front yard "with the dog running directly at him," it states.

O'Hare was unable to elude the dog, the report states, which was "showing its teeth." He pointed his gun at it and yelled for it to get back, but the dog only hesitated momentarily before advancing again, it states.

The dog lunged at O'Hare, who fired three times, hitting it in the head and chest from 3 feet away, the report states.

Pia said the dog was trying to bite O'Hare's legs as he was running.

The report says nothing about a pause between the second and third shots or the girl witnessing the shooting — a point the defendants are expected to contest in court.

The suit claims that O'Hare's actions were "so extreme, callous and outrageous that they fell outside the scope of acceptable police behavior," in violation of the due-process clause of the Constitution.

It also claims that they entered the property illegally and that O'Hare intentionally inflicted emotional distress.

The suit seeks compensatory and punitive damages, as well as legal fees.

A senior assistant corporation counsel for the city, Nathalie Feola-Guerrieri, said, "The city is confident that the officers will be found to have acted justifiably under the circumstances."
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 05-28-2012 at 07:08 PM.
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    WTF?!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

How many ways can a jury be tainted?

We'll see..........

O'Hare was unable to elude the dog, the report states, which was "showing its teeth." He pointed his gun at it and yelled for it to get back, but the dog only hesitated momentarily before advancing again, it states.
    Because a dog defending its territory is going to quickly and easily understand verbal commands like, "Get Back!" and "Put your paws in the air or I'll shoot!"

Idiotic f*****g cop. Also interesting how the first guy got over a fence and the second one didn't. I wonder if it was due to an overdose of jelly doughnuts.

There needs to be a way to start finding these guys personally liable. Losing a career, pension and some personal property in a few cases might start setting precedents that would have the police thinking twice before they kill the next child's pet.

Quote Originally Posted by KCIndy View Post
    Because a dog defending its territory is going to quickly and easily understand verbal commands like, "Get Back!" and "Put your paws in the air or I'll shoot!"

Idiotic f*****g cop. Also interesting how the first guy got over a fence and the second one didn't. I wonder if it was due to an overdose of jelly doughnuts.

There needs to be a way to start finding these guys personally liable. Losing a career, pension and some personal property in a few cases might start setting precedents that would have the police thinking twice before they kill the next child's pet
    I suggest publishing photos of the criminals (cops) and details of the crimes-public humiliation is a good start. Also, circulate posters about the criminals in the neighborhoods where the crimes occur.
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Another child who will be a cop hater.

Good job guys! Us adults know youre making us the enemy, and now even the children get it.

Quote Originally Posted by mport1 View Post
    My money is on no repercussions. At the very least he will get a less harsh punishment than if you, I, or anybody else not wearing a silly costume executed a dog.

Punishment? IF read it, this is a civil suit, the only "punishment" will be in the form of Monetary damages, and doubt the two defendants give two flips about it.
    ATTAINING FREEDOM
    Man must get rid of illusions that enslave and paralyze him; he must become aware of the reality inside and outside of him in order to create a world which needs no illusions. Freedom and independence can be achieved only when the chains of illusion are broken.
    --ERICH FROMM

“In a land of freedom we are held hostage by the tyranny of political correctness” Robert Griffin III

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The family will probably receive some compensatory ducats which the city will extract from the taxpayers. No policy changes will be made. The officers will continue on the course of 'exemplary' performance and will be rewarded with advancement.

What was the original reason for going onto the property? Don't we have something called the 2nd amendment?

Quote Originally Posted by Xhin View Post
    What was the original reason for going onto the property? Don't we have something called the 2nd amendment?
    We also have a 4th amendment.

on paper.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by Xhin View Post
    CT, home of Colt's Firearms, is a 2A free zone.
    Out of every one hundred men they send us, ten should not even be here. Eighty will do nothing but serve as targets for the enemy. Nine are real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, upon them depends our success in battle. But one, ah the one, he is a real warrior, and he will bring the others back from battle alive.

Duty is the most sublime word in the English language. Do your duty in all things. You can not do more than your duty. You should never wish to do less than your duty.

Justified.

"Policy was followed"

Jury's Verdict Favors HPD In Federal Dog-Shooting Case

http://articles.courant.com/2012-05-...ional-distress

Juries. Idiots! They are nothing but tools of the totalitarian state.
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Justified.

"Policy was followed"

Jury's Verdict Favors HPD In Federal Dog-Shooting Case

http://articles.courant.com/2012-05-...ional-distress
    Not surprised.

Poor kid.....

And once again ...

...the police have NO DUTY to protect an innocent individual's rights and property. The courts in every jurisdiction throughout the US have universally upheld this position. Here's a whole thread on the topic:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=228509

Professional police forces do NOT exist to protect the rights and property of innocent individuals. They were NEVER intended for such a purpose. They exist solely and completely for the purpose of enforcing the will of the power elites, and protecting those power elites against YOU.

In other words they are, in effect, an occupational army whose sole purpose is to oppress YOU. Period.

They violate the rights of innocent individuals every day. They routinely taze, beat and kill innocent people. They destroy their property, bust down their doors, toss their premises and all this without even an apology. They throw innocent people in cages to be abused and raped. They regularly destroy the lives of innocents. They make false charges and then lie in court. The list of police abuses and usurpations goes on, and on, and on.

The cops ARE NOT your friends. EVER.

I'll bump the Myth of Police Protection thread yet again too.
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    cops should lose their jobs. How hard is it to get the home owner to restrain his dog before investigating (WITH A WARRANT)
    A savage barbaric tribal society where thugs parade the streets and illegally assault and murder innocent civilians, yeah that is the alternative to having police. Oh wait, that is the police

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.
    - Edward R. Murrow

...I think we have moral obligations to disobey unjust laws, because non-cooperation with evil is as much as a moral obligation as cooperation with good. - MLK Jr.

How to trigger a liberal: "I didn't get vaccinated."

Didn't any of you read the article? There were allegedly HANDGUNS... TWO HANDGUNS in an ABANDONED CAR within the fenced backyard of a house! I'm sure the cops even actually found an arsenal of fully-automatic assault weapons and explosives and forgot to say anything about finding anything to the press! Also, millions of cops are murdered each week by people's pet dogs! These guys are heroes!

For the record, St Bernard's are some of the gentlest dogs on the planet.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

More cops whose first reaction to a dog is to run...
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

But according to a nine-page incident report filed by police, O'Hare and Pia had received a tip from a reliable source that two handguns were stashed in an abandoned vehicle in the backyard of 297 Enfield St. They went into the yard about 3:20 p.m., and a large, full-grown St. Bernard "immediately began to bark and snarl," the report states.
    Do any of these $#@!tards understand the Constitution? Have they ever heard of a warrant?
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Do any of these $#@!tards understand the Constitution? Have they ever heard of a warrant?
    Oh, those are outdated. Hadn't you heard?
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

You don't need a warrant to take out a mundane or his pets. For the public safety, ya know.

U.S. lawsuit vs Hartford police who fatally shot dog is revived

By Jonathan Stempel

NEW YORK Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:59pm EDT

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...0IJ25420141030

(Reuters) - A federal appeals court revived a lawsuit against Hartford, Connecticut, and two police officers over the fatal shooting of a family dog, near a 12-year-old girl, after the officers entered a property without a warrant to search for guns.

The 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in New York said there was not enough evidence of an urgent need that would justify the Dec. 20, 2006, search of plaintiff Glen Harris' property, during which one of the officers shot and killed Seven, a 3-year-old St. Bernard.

Thursday's decision by a three-judge panel voided a May 2012 jury verdict, and returned the case to Hartford federal court for a possible retrial.

Police said the two officers, Johnmichael O'Hare and Anthony Pia, entered Harris' property based on a gang member's tip that two guns were stashed in a car in the backyard of Harris' home.

The officers said they retreated after encountering Seven, and O'Hare said the large dog growled and chased after him.

O'Hare fired three shots, killing Seven. Harris' 12-year-old daughter, who was nearby, claimed she saw O'Hare put the third bullet in Seven's head, and that he then told her, "Sorry Miss. Your dog isn't going to make it." No car or guns were found.

Harris sued Hartford and the officers in 2008, seeking damages for violating the protection against illegal searches and seizures under the Fourth Amendment of the U.S. Constitution and inflicting emotional distress on his daughter.

In Thursday's decision, Circuit Judge Rosemary Pooler said the officers had probable cause to investigate the gun tip.

But she said there was no showing of "exigent circumstances" for the officers to enter Harris' property without a warrant, even to quickly remove suspected illegal guns from areas prone to crime.

"Taken to its logical end, this argument would permit exigent circumstances anytime there is a tip about illegal guns being located somewhere in a high-crime neighborhood or city, and would allow the exception to swallow the rule," Pooler wrote.

The judge also said O'Hare and Pia did not deserve immunity because it was not "objectively reasonable" to have believed the search was lawful.

Jon Schoenhorn, a lawyer for Harris and his daughter, did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

Thomas Gerarde, a lawyer for the officers, and a lawyer for Hartford did not immediately respond to similar requests.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    the city should pay, and those murderers should lose their houses and pensions

Its good that it's being brought back up again. 8 years and still waiting for any semblance of justice. The girl could be 22 or 23 years old before this thing is over.

The New York Law Journal just posted a very good summary of the decision.

http://www.newyorklawjournal.com/hom...20140931073136

. The officers said it would have been more intrusive to secure the property while a warrant was being prepared because the Harris property was bordered on three sides by other privately owned parcels.
    "The fact that it may have been more tedious to secure the property at 297 Enfield St. while a warrant was obtained does not create exigency," she said. "We further note that, aside from their being no urgency created by Hemingway's tip about the firearms in and of itself, there is no evidence the officers sought to corroborate the tip prior to their entry."
    Heaven forbid that you inconvenience the King's men and make them late for the shakedown of the massage parlor.

XNN
    "They sell us the president the same way they sell us our clothes and our cars. They sell us every thing from youth to religion the same time they sell us our wars. I want to know who the men in the shadows are. I want to hear somebody asking them why. They can be counted on to tell us who our enemies are but theyre never the ones to fight or to die." - Jackson Browne Lives In The Balance