Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Anyone else object to being called "Libertarian"?

Quote Originally Posted by Gumba of Liberty View Post
    These are not the same things. If someone moves onto your land then grab a gun and move them off. If someone steals your novel take them to court. But you can't claim ownership of ideas. How do you steal an idea? If you "steal" a recipe from your neighbors can they sue you for making a meal in the same way? Does this make sense?
    Obviously some of you didn't understand my post to begin with. A book is an amalgamation of ideas but it is also property once it is printed up as a product. I never once defended the copyright office per se. I do defend people's right to use existing laws as needed until such a time as there is a different way to retain one's right to "certain" property. I understand the abstract that information can not be owned but there is a slippery slope when it comes to people for example who publish ideas for a living.

"The Congress shall have Power To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries;"
    —U.S. Constitution, Article 1, Section 8, Clause 8

"An idea as such cannot be protected until it has been given a material form. An invention has to be embodied in a physical model before it can be patented; a story has to be written or printed. But what the patent or copyright protects is not the physical object as such, but the idea which it embodies. By forbidding an unauthorized reproduction of the object, the law declares, in effect, that the physical labor of copying is not the source of the object’s value, that that value is created by the originator of the idea and may not be used without his consent; thus the law establishes the property right of a mind to that which it has brought into existence." —Ayn Rand, 'Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal'
    Last edited by Carlybee; 06-12-2012 at 11:50 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011