Thread: Canadian province or US state: Which has more power vs. their federal counterpart?

Canadian province or US state: Which has more power vs. their federal counterpart?

Both in theory (what does each respective Constitution say), and realistically (how closely does the federal government abide by them)?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Canadian provinces.

Let's be realistic here. At least in places like Quebec, they complain to the state about tuition hikes than the Feds.

Although it's worth noting Canada does not have a real constitution or bill of rights either. Provinces such as Quebec may choose to "opt out" of it. And I am not joking!

So in a way, provinces in Canada do technically have more power. All the FEDs really do in Canada is enforce the drug war and collect taxes... Everything else like healthcare and educational is mostly provincial bull$#@!, probably run by Federal Proxies (Like Jean Charest...)
    Last edited by Lishy; 05-22-2012 at 07:49 PM.

The Canadian Feds are more respectful of Provincial rights than the US Feds are of States rights.

So long as the Bank of Canada is still issuing our currency, The Feds will be too large.

That's interesting. I try to find a common ground with Liberals friends saying that while Canada does have Universal Healthcare at least the jurisdiction of the Provinces seems to be respected.

So I say go that way. I feel like people want to solve everything with a massive central planning Federal plan and it makes other people freak out, dig in, and resist it.

Health Care is NOT a Federal issue. It's Provincial.

With that being said, the Feds dole out health care subsidies to the Provinces...

Quote Originally Posted by VIDEODROME View Post
    That's interesting. I try to find a common ground with Liberals friends saying that while Canada does have Universal Healthcare at least the jurisdiction of the Provinces seems to be respected.

So I say go that way. I feel like people want to solve everything with a massive central planning Federal plan and it makes other people freak out, dig in, and resist it.