Thread: Virginia 11th CD dirty establishment tricks: "The Rules are the the Rules?"

Virginia 11th CD dirty establishment tricks: "The Rules are the the Rules?"

This is the content of an email for one of the 11th CD candidates (not the one I support but a respectable guy nevertheless). Check out the $#@! the establishment just pulled at the last minute.

The Rules are the the Rules?

The rules are the rules - unless you're a long-time incumbent chairman suddenly finding yourself in a really competitive race.

Becky Stoeckel - the absentee Chairman of the 11th Congressional District - is treating you, a delegate to Saturday's 11th District Convention, as if you were a piece of furniture, to be moved around at her pleasure.

Nancy Pelosi famously said about "Obamacare" that it would have to pass first for everyone to find out what is in it.

Now the 12 year place-holding Chairman of the 11th Congressional District is telling you, a delegate to the convention that is just a few days away that you'll have to come to the convention to find out how many votes are necessary to win the race.

There was a major rule change this week for the convention Saturday; and even though I'm a candidate for Chairman there has been no official notification about the changes issued to the candidates.

The winner now only needs to receive a plurality vote; a majority is no longer needed in the race for Chairman. This overturns decades of precedent in the 11th, and it overturns the Convention Call voted on and published by the District Committee in February!

These long-time establishment "leaders" always want to make the rules work for them. (This is why so many people hate politics and all the "inside" games played to keep the same people in office, election after election.)

This is a classic case of a last minute change to the original rules known for months and approved by the 11th District Committee. Now, of course, even in a three-person race, Chairman Stoeckel finds herself in a bad spot. So she does what any desperate office holder does - she changes the rules in the hope that she can squeak out a win.

Election four days out? No problem. The next thing you know her handpicked "Rules Committee" has changed the rules everyone understood when they entered the race, and under which the candidates have been running their campaigns.

This kind of back-room last minute rule change cheapens the Republican brand at a time when we need to win over every possible voter in the 11th District.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This isn't the first time I've heard mention of Becky using her position to undermine those she doesn't favor. Is there a link to the convention rules? I'm having trouble finding them on the CD-11 website.

If we have the majority in CD11 on May 19th, can we overturn this rule as the first order of business? Is her seat also up for grabs?

I don't have answers to those questions, except the last - yes Stoekel is the chair and she is up for re-election against Terry Wear and Mike Giere.

I am trying to sort out which of the three candidates is actually the most favorable, or at least the most fair. I'm working that out right now.

We don't have a known RP supporter running for Chair?

I found this blog which gives a more detailed explanation of the situation. http://rednova8.com/wordpress/?p=6265

Looks like the convention's not gonna run as smooth as some people thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebelrouser View Post
    I found this blog which gives a more detailed explanation of the situation. http://rednova8.com/wordpress/?p=6265

Looks like the convention's not gonna run as smooth as some people thought.
    You guys need to brace yourself for the worst possible shenanigans from them. Trust no one except vetted RP supporters, vote as a block, and get the chair position first thing. If you don't get the chair, consider yourself screwed. Oh, and read RRO well.

I just recieved this e-mail from one of the SCC candidates.

Please excuse one last email, but I wanted to make sure you have up-to-date information on how voting will work at tomorrow's convention at Oakton High School.

You might have heard that the Rules Committee for the convention was considering changing the voting method from majority (winners must get over 50% of the vote) to plurality (whoever receives the most number of votes wins, even if less than 50%). The majority method was specified in public notices that went out months ago, but plurality would take less time because only one round of voting would be required.

The Rules Committee decided NOT to make the change during their meeting late last night. That means the majority rule still stands (unless the participants in the convention amend the rule from the floor).

An important point you should know about the majority rule is that voting a full ballot will help the convention finish sooner. In other words, if everyone chooses 3 candidates each for State Central Committee and National Delegate, it is more likely that some or all seats will be filled on the first ballot. If you only vote for 1 or 2 people, there will be fewer votes to go around, and fewer people will be selected by at least 50% of the voters.

If the convention proceeds to a second or subsequent ballot, please pay close attention to how many people you may vote for in each race, and who is still left for consideration. E.g. if only Candidate A for State Central Committee wins a majority in round one, you need to be careful to select only two candidates in round two, and do not select Candidate A as one of the two, because he or she has already been seated. If you vote for more candidates than you are allowed in a round, all of your votes for that position will be invalidated, though your votes for the other positions may still be counted.

If you want to get updates on your mobile device to help you keep track of what's going on during the convention, please provide your email and/or mobile phone number by clicking here and checking the "May 19 Rapid Response" box. You can also come to my table just outside the #6 entrance and ask questions of me or my volunteer helpers.

You should have received a mailing from me this week that included a more detailed explanation of how participation in the convention and voting will work. If yours got misplaced, you can also find this information on my website here.

As a final note, the Rules Committee also determined last night that each of the candidates for Chairman of the 11th District will be allowed to speak for 3 minutes, and each of the other candidates will be allowed to speak for 1 minute. This gives you a brief opportunity to see them in person, but not enough to get to know them well, so I encourage you to read and bring the emails and mailings you have been getting from all of the candidates to get to know them better. Please arrive at Oakton High School no later than 11:00 a.m. in order to see the candidate speeches.

See you tomorrow!
    Lillian

* P.S. In case you're wondering what my position is on this majority vs. plurality issue... I would have preferred a plurality vote when the rule was originally set by the 11th District Committee back in February, because the convention would take less of your time and it would be less confusing. However, I do not support a last minute change to the rules, especially when the person appointing the Rules Committee members potentially stands to benefit from the change. So I was glad to see the Rules Committee act independently and keep the original rule. If the convention participants choose to change the rule from the floor, however, I believe that is a fair process.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.