Thread: Will Mitt Romney be able to get nominated at the National Convention?

Question Will Mitt Romney be able to get nominated at the National Convention?

A candidate needs a majority of delegates in at least 5 states in order to be nominated for the position of president and vice president.

Of all of the state conventions that have taken place so far, I can only think of Hawaii as one that has Romney with a majority of the national delegates. Has he won any other state?
    Definition of political insanity: Voting for the same people expecting different results.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwar View Post
    A candidate needs a majority of delegates in at least 5 states in order to be nominated for the position of president and vice president.

Of all of the state conventions that have taken place so far, I can only think of Hawaii as one that has Romney with a majority of the national delegates. Has he won any other state?
    Surely he will from the state conventions where he was won WTA. ex: Florida,
    氷の造形魔法

Ice Wizard Power - Ice Make

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Fullbuster View Post
    Surely he will from the state conventions where he was won WTA. ex: Florida,
    A majority of the state's delegates need to vote to nominate him. Even in states where every delegate is bound to vote for that candidate on the first ballot, they are not required to nominate him. Or am I missing a rule out there that requires a bound state to also nominate that candidate?

I can see Utah going to Romney and probably Florida. He already has Hawaii. But hell, he does not even have a majority of delegates in his home state.
    Definition of political insanity: Voting for the same people expecting different results.

A majority of the state's delegates need to vote to nominate him. Even in states where every delegate is bound to vote for that candidate on the first ballot, they are not required to nominate him. Or am I missing a rule out there that requires a bound state to also nominate that candidate?

I can see Utah going to Romney and probably Florida. He already has Hawaii. But hell, he does not even have a majority of delegates in his home state.
    Just a hunch, but I'm sure he'll get more than 5. Plus territories.

Let's just wait until the state conventions happen before we make this a viable option of locking him out, its a daydream until more than half the country has their conventions.
    Last edited by Gray Fullbuster; 05-14-2012 at 10:54 AM.
    氷の造形魔法

its a daydream until more than half the country has their conventions.
    One can dream

It would make a good article once Ron Paul has a majority in 5 states and Romney does not. He will be first to have enough delegates to be nominated.

Of course, are you serious?

One can dream

It would make a good article once Ron Paul has a majority in 5 states and Romney does not. He will be first to have enough delegates to be nominated.
    also search for increased clarification if the territories take part in that plurality vote to nominate someone. If so, he might already have it.

But I'm guessing some of the former primaries that have been Romney heavy, FL, Ohio, Maryland, W.Virginia, New Jersey when that comes, and a few establishment states. I wanna say he'll get them, but keep locking him out everywhere. Let's have a dozen NV conventions over again in those states he won.
    氷の造形魔法

You are confusing delegates with delegate slots. They are not the same thing, hence Romney has won more than 5 states.
    If Rand does not win the Republican nomination, he should buck the controlled two party system and run as an Independent for President in 2016 and give Americans a real option to vote for.

We are all born libertarians then something goes really wrong. Despite this truth, most people are still libertarians yet not know it.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The news and Obama campaigns have already nominated him. The convention will just be a chance to pat him on the back.

This is a ridiculous thread. Is there a thread graveyard it can be moved to?

also search for increased clarification if the territories take part in that plurality vote to nominate someone. If so, he might already have it[/B]
    Rule 27: "Whenever used in Rule Nos. 25 - 41, “state” or “states” shall be taken to include American Samoa, the District of Columbia, Guam, Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico, and the Virgin Islands, except in Rule No. 13 and unless the context in which the word “state” or “states” is used makes such inclusion inappropriate."

Quote Originally Posted by Liberty74 View Post
    You are confusing delegates with delegate slots. They are not the same thing, hence Romney has won more than 5 states.
    I am looking at the states that have had their conventions and have elected national delegates.

Of those states, Romney has won Hawaii. Ron Paul has won the rest.

I am looking at the states that have had their conventions and have elected national delegates.

Of those states, Romney has won Hawaii. Ron Paul has won the rest.
    There are many states that do not have conventions for the selection of delegates. HI was one of them in fact, as the delegates were selected prior to the caucus. I'd do the research for you and list them all, but you can go to thegreenpapers and do the work yourself.

Also, nomination from the floor IIRC is based on first ballot votes, so while the delegate slots may have been filled with Paul supporters, they are bound to cast their first round vote for Romney, thus he will be nominated.

Quote Originally Posted by tbone717 View Post
    Also, nomination from the floor IIRC is based on first ballot votes, so while the delegate slots may have been filled with Paul supporters, they are bound to cast their first round vote for Romney, thus he will be nominated.
    Rule 40:
    Each candidate for nomination for
    President of the United States and Vice President of the
    United States shall demonstrate the support of a
    plurality of the delegates from each of five (5) or more
    states, severally, prior to the presentation of the name of
    that candidate for nomination.

This says nothing about the first ballot vote.

This says nothing about the first ballot vote.
    True, however the support of a delegate is defined by their vote. Bound delegates are at the RNC not to represent themselves, or a campaign, but as a representative of the voters of their state or CD.

But if you want to believe that Romney is not going to be nominated from the floor, then you are free to believe that.