Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to become a delegate in Florida

OK I became a local Republican Executive Committee (REC) Committeeman a few months ago.. the story is this:

You sign up with the state, as discussed earlier.
    They determine if you are eligible to become a delegate, and send your name to the local REC.
    If you're not an REC committeeman, the local committee may not consider your application.
    Otherwise, the local REC's form nomination caucuses (57 total) for each specific congressional district.
    Then they(the REC's) send names of eligible people to the caucus for possible selection as national delegates.
    The caucus selects a delegate and an alternate from that specific congressional district. (114 total).
    A delegate is bound to vote for the candidate selected by the majority in your congressional district for the first 2 ballots at the convention.
    The state later on selects another group of 111 delegates and alternates from the remaining pool. These are called "at-large" delegates.
    The "at-large" delegates are bound to vote for the person who took the majority of votes statewide, for at least the 1st two ballots at the convention.

This may be modified for this convention due to rules violations and the loss of half of our delegates. The last time I talked to Jim Greer (State GOP Chairman) he assured me that the procedure will be followed as if no such penalty were to be imposed, so that we will be ready in the event that he is able to get them reinstated.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Gagne View Post
    OK I became a local Republican Executive Committee (REC) Committeeman a few months ago.. the story is this:

You sign up with the state, as discussed earlier.
    They determine if you are eligible to become a delegate, and send your name to the local REC.
    If you're not an REC committeeman, the local committee may not consider your application.
    Otherwise, the local REC's form nomination caucuses (57 total) for each specific congressional district.
    Then they(the REC's) send names of eligible people to the caucus for possible selection as national delegates.
    The caucus selects a delegate and an alternate from that specific congressional district. (114 total).
    A delegate is bound to vote for the candidate selected by the majority in your congressional district for the first 2 ballots at the convention.
    The state later on selects another group of 111 delegates and alternates from the remaining pool. These are called "at-large" delegates.
    The "at-large" delegates are bound to vote for the person who took the majority of votes statewide, for at least the 1st two ballots at the convention.

This may be modified for this convention due to rules violations and the loss of half of our delegates. The last time I talked to Jim Greer (State GOP Chairman) he assured me that the procedure will be followed as if no such penalty were to be imposed, so that we will be ready in the event that he is able to get them reinstated.
    Awesome. Fantastic... thank you.
    I am an REC committeewoman now (err.. alternate 'till they are able to purge the woman currently taking the position). And I'm registered on the site.. so... sounds like I'm on the right track.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I have a question. I filled out the form a month or so ago but I haven't heard anything yet. Is it too late for me to become a delegate? I living near UCF in Central Florida in East Orlando. I just found this forum and realized there was a whole lot more to being a delegate. Let me know if I can do anything now.

Quote Originally Posted by trout007 View Post
    I have a question. I filled out the form a month or so ago but I haven't heard anything yet. Is it too late for me to become a delegate? I living near UCF in Central Florida in East Orlando. I just found this forum and realized there was a whole lot more to being a delegate. Let me know if I can do anything now.

#1 -- Contact your local county Republican Executive Committee (REC). Except for local Republican clubs (which we don't have time for right now), this is your front line of representation within the Republican Party.

#2 -- Fill out membership forms & seek to become a precinct rep. When you apply, you will be interviewed by the REC membership committee to make sure you have the "proper" Republican attitudes & background. Make it clear that you want to do the "grunt" work of getting out the vote for the Republican Party. Check their statement of principles & learn it. If they question you about your candidate (they shouldn't, but it could happen), emphasize that you are a Robert Taft/Ike Eisenhower/Ronald Reagan freedom-loving Republican, and if they try to nail you down, don't lie, but point out that Ron Paul was the first congressman to endorse Ronald Reagan for president. They will recommend you for membership at the general REC meeting, where you will be voted in by the membership, sworn in, and you will have to take the Republican loyalty oath as specified by the state GOP.

#3 -- Make friends with the current and past elected officers of your local REC. It's always good to have allies, and if they know you they won't hesitate to answer your questions. Use that as your opportunity to get selected either for the congressional district delegate selection caucus, or placed on the delegate selection list, or both.

#4 -- After these essentials are taken care of, look into your local Republican clubs. These organizations have no real authority within the party, pretty much having the same relationship to the GOP that Ron Paul meetups have to the official Ron Paul campaign. But if you keep in mind that the Presidency is for sale to the highest bidder, realize that your local GOP, as well as every higher party level, runs on money, and the local Republican clubs provide cooperative venues for party fundraising (as well as performing educational and charitable works). Once you become active in the clubs, and contribute money to the party, you become known as a mover and shaker, and will have a lot more "clout" with the REC, possibly positioning yourself for leadership of the local REC or state REC as well.

Why is this latter point important? Because a Ron Paul Presidency needs a Ron Paul Congress, otherwise he will succeed at nothing, and go down in history as a failure, a one-term do-nothing President. We're not just working to put one man in office, we're looking for a R3volution in the way our government works. So we need a whole movement here, not just a single campaign. And we should use the machinery that's already there, not wasting time and effort "re-inventing the wheel".

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy View Post
    There are a lot of RP supporters in FL offering to cover the expense to the Convention for a RP delegate.
    WHERE DEY AT DOE?
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Amash (R) MI-3rd
    "Young people want a Republican Party that believes in limited government and economic freedom and individual liberty, but they want a party that also acts on it.”

THE FUTURE OF THE GOP = R[∃vo˩]ution 2.0: Rand Paul 2016

Quote Originally Posted by NOVALibertarian View Post
    First they ignore you= Ron Paul, 2007-2008
    Then they laugh at you= Ron Paul, 2012
    Then they fight you= Rand Paul, 2014-2015
    And then you win= Rand Paul, November 8th, 2016

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12