In an e-mail sent to delegates and alternates in Maine this morning:

To: State Convention Delegates and Alternates

Several weeks ago I attended a meeting at the Party Headquarters with a representative from the Ron Paul campaign.

At that meeting I was informed that the Ron Paul campaign intends to "take over" the Republican State Convention and Republican State Committee.

It appears that such an effort will be attempted.

It is my opinion that, in my role as Party Chairman, my obligation is to welcome every Republican activist to our Convention, and to guarantee that all voices are heard.

All of us should welcome the supporters of Ron Paul, Newt Gingrich, Rick Santorum, and Mitt Romney.

These activists are critical to the election of our candidates in the 2012 elections.

As attendees of our convention, I write to inform you of this situation and to remind you of the importance of attending the Convention beginning with the election of the Convention Secretary when we convene at 9 a.m. ( We recommend that you arrive at 8:15, at the latest to collect your Delegate/Alternate credentials )

The very first business on Saturday will be the election of the Convention Secretary and Convention Chairman.

This would be the first opportunity for anyone to "take over" the Convention by electing " their " Convention Chairman.

The County caucuses will be held at 4 o'clock and this matter of business would be another opportunity to "take over" the State Committee.

I regret the necessity of writing this message, but unfortunately there are those among us who would choose to divide us rather than unite us. Individuals who seem to believe that the overall good of the Party may not be as important as their candidate and their own personal political opinions.

Thanks for reading this message, see you at the Convention. 8:15 a.m. on Saturday

Charlie Webster
Chairman, Maine Republican Party