Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Woman fires warning shot to scare off abusive husband; may get 20 years in prison.

Woman fires warning shot to scare off abusive husband; may get 20 years in prison.

Searched the forums, couldn't find this posted anywhere.

-------

"I got five baby mammas, and I put my hands on every last one of them except for one," Rico Gray confessed during a November 2010 deposition. "The way I was with women…they had to walk on eggshells around me." He recalled punching women in the face, shoving them, choking them, and tossing them out the door.

Yet somehow, after one of those women fired a warning shot into the ceiling of her Jacksonville, Florida, home to scare him away during yet another violent outburst, prosecutors managed to convince a jury that Gray was the victim. As a result, Marissa Alexander, a 31-year-old mother of three, faces 20 years in prison for standing her ground against an abusive husband.
    More here: http://reason.com/archives/2012/05/0...ing-her-ground

There are just no words.

What do you want me to do, to do for you to see you through?
    A box of rain will ease the pain, and love will see you through.
    Box of Rain, Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PaulConventionWV
    A real feminist would have avoided men altogether and found a perfectly good female partner. Because, y'know, all sexual intercourse is actually rape.
    निर्विकल्पा
    aka Wicked Heathen
    I was a nasty woman before Trump made it cool.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Should it be legal to fire guns in a residential area as a warning? I don't think so. Though 20 years sounds excessive. Probation would probably do is she doesn't have any priors.

should have killed him

SHE'D BE OUT IN 7...

I do not believe firing a gun as a warning shot (even in a residential area), should require any sentencing, when no one is hurt in the process. Why? For one, criminal justice does teach about something called "in the heat of the moment." Secondly, pre-crime is an aspect we're suppose to reject, because pre-crime is antithetical to Liberty.
    "For if you [the rulers] suffer your people to be ill-educated, and their manners to be corrupted from their infancy, and then punish them for those crimes to which their first education disposed them, what else is to be concluded from this, but that you first make thieves [and outlaws] and then punish them."
    -Sir Thomas More (1478-1535), Utopia, Book 1

*Admirer, of Philosophy.*

She doesn't stand to face
    20 years in prison for standing her ground against an abusive husband.
    Those are the words of some idiot who wants to tie this to the "Stand You Ground" statute in Florida ... Treyvon, Treyvon.

When Alexander managed to get by, she ran through the kitchen to the garage, where she says she realized she did not have the keys to her car, could not call for help because she had left her cellphone behind, and could not escape because the garage door was not working. Instead she grabbed her handgun from her car and headed back through the kitchen, where Gray confronted her again.
    Florida's self-defense law says "a person is justified in the use of deadly force and does not have a duty to retreat" if "he or she reasonably believes" it is necessary to prevent "imminent death or great bodily harm" or "the imminent commission of a forcible felony." In 1999, furthermore, the Florida Supreme Court ruledthat a woman attacked by her husband in the home they share has no duty to flee.
    On March 16, after deliberating for 12 minutes, a jury convicted Alexander on three counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. Although she injured no one, she faces a 20-year mandatory minimum sentence unless she can win a new trial.
    If he was enough of a threat that she felt justified to discharge a firearm within her home, she should have shot to stop the threat.

Laws are very clear on what constitutes the defensive use of a firearm, and she screwed up.

Also,
    Based on his history,
    She might have been charged, but ultimately released with all charges dropped.

Woman is an idiot !!!
    That shot could have easily hit someone who was not the threat (richochet, her own kid or a neighbor), and that probably makes me as mad as the OP ... She just gave the anti-gun crowd some free ammo

Reason magazine, by title choice, is showing their colors.
    Last edited by azxd; 05-02-2012 at 09:26 AM.
    Let them keep thinking Ron Paul supporters are just a little army. Every military strategy manual in the world has examples of the bad things that happen to arrogant commanders of massive armies that underestimate the enemy. They all lose. We will win because the human heart, despite its detractors, is meant for truth and freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by azxd View Post
    She doesn't stand to face
    Those are the words of some idiot who wants to tie this to the "Stand You Ground" statute in Florida ... Treyvon, Treyvon.

If he was enough of a threat that she felt justified to discharge a firearm within her home, she should have shot to stop the threat.

Laws are very clear on what constitutes the defensive use of a firearm, and she screwed up.

Also,
    Based on his history,
    She might have been charged, but ultimately released with all charges dropped.

Woman is an idiot !!!
    That shot could have easily hit someone who was not the threat (richochet, her own kid or a neighbor), and that probably makes me as mad as the OP ... She just gave the anti-gun crowd some free ammo

Reason magazine, by title choice, is showing their colors.
    Uhm, how? No one was hurt. Your basis of "could have" is as bad as most liberal's line of thinking. If someone runs a stop sign, yet doesn't kill or hurt anyone, is punishment justified because they could have? What's the crime?

What do you want me to do, to do for you to see you through?
    A box of rain will ease the pain, and love will see you through.
    Box of Rain, Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PaulConventionWV
    A real feminist would have avoided men altogether and found a perfectly good female partner. Because, y'know, all sexual intercourse is actually rape.
    निर्विकल्पा
    aka Wicked Heathen
    I was a nasty woman before Trump made it cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Nirvikalpa View Post
    Uhm, how? No one was hurt. Your basis of "could have" is as bad as most liberal's line of thinking. If someone runs a stop sign, yet doesn't kill or hurt anyone, is punishment justified because they could have? What's the crime?
    Reckless endangerment. Even if no one is hurt, reckless behavior which could have caused someone or someone's property harm is a crime.

Quote Originally Posted by JebSanderson View Post
    Reckless endangerment. Even if no one is hurt, reckless behavior which could have caused someone or someone's property harm is a crime.
    Those types of crimes are only used to benefit the pockets of the state. An accident, without anyone being hurt, should require no punishment.
    "For if you [the rulers] suffer your people to be ill-educated, and their manners to be corrupted from their infancy, and then punish them for those crimes to which their first education disposed them, what else is to be concluded from this, but that you first make thieves [and outlaws] and then punish them."
    -Sir Thomas More (1478-1535), Utopia, Book 1

*Admirer, of Philosophy.*

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Shouldn't be.

So, if she had shot him she'd be in the clear, but because she warned his sorry ass, she's going to jail. Yeah, that totally makes sense.

This a travesty of justice. The case should have been thrown out. On a side note, what kind of women want to be with a man like that? 5 women with this fool? Amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by jkr View Post
    should have killed him

SHE'D BE OUT IN 7...

If it's legal to shoot someone, it should be legal to intentionally miss (warning shot). She should be commended. We might try the same with police if ever they get over their fear of grandmas, butter knives, and puppies.

It would seem police are specifically trained not to ever use a warning shot:

... police can never fire warning shots.

http://books.google.com/books?id=QuA...0shots&f=false

This link gives some good advice on how to legally survive a defensive shooting:

Okay, Rule Number One after surviving a defensive shooting: STFU[1]. As my first permit class instructor (who was a prosecutor for 12 years and a defense attorney for the past 30 or so) said, the only thing you should say to the cops after a DGU is "I was in fear for my life. I wish to speak to my attorney. I do not consent to any search." The only thing your (the shooter's) spouse and kids should say to the cops after a DGU is "I wish to speak to an attorney. I do not consent to any search."

... if you fired a warning shot then your first shot did miss, but let him be the one to tell the cops that. After all, the difference between a warning shot and a kill shot is the shooter's intention. Since your lawyer is not psychic he can't know whether you fired for warning or effect, so he is not lying to the police. Remember, they didn't get Martha Stewart for insider trading, they got her for lying to the police.

http://www.freelibertywriters.com/br...ing-shots.html

Quote Originally Posted by Nirvikalpa View Post
    Uhm, how? No one was hurt. Your basis of "could have" is as bad as most liberal's line of thinking. If someone runs a stop sign, yet doesn't kill or hurt anyone, is punishment justified because they could have?What's the crime?
    Discharing a firearm within city limits ... It's on the books, and IT IS a public safety issue.

In many places is is a class 6 felony ... Google it !!
    Let them keep thinking Ron Paul supporters are just a little army. Every military strategy manual in the world has examples of the bad things that happen to arrogant commanders of massive armies that underestimate the enemy. They all lose. We will win because the human heart, despite its detractors, is meant for truth and freedom.

An additional charge ... Good point, and thanks for the reminder !!!

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Shouldn't be.

So, if she had shot him she'd be in the clear, but because she warned his sorry ass, she's going to jail. Yeah, that totally makes sense.
    NO !!

What makes sense is understanding firearms laws, IF you're going to possess one.

IDIOTS like her threaten my right to possess such a device, by giving the anti-gun crowd ammunition to use against those of us who act responsibly.

Quote Originally Posted by The Free Hornet View Post
    If it's legal to shoot someone, it should be legal to intentionally miss (warning shot). She should be commended. We might try the same with police if ever they get over their fear of grandmas, butter knives, and puppies.

It would seem police are specifically trained not to ever use a warning shot:
    ... police can never fire warning shots.

http://books.google.com/books?id=QuA...0shots&f=false

This link gives some good advice on how to legally survive a defensive shooting:
    Okay, Rule Number One after surviving a defensive shooting: STFU[1]. As my first permit class instructor (who was a prosecutor for 12 years and a defense attorney for the past 30 or so) said, the only thing you should say to the cops after a DGU is "I was in fear for my life. I wish to speak to my attorney. I do not consent to any search." The only thing your (the shooter's) spouse and kids should say to the cops after a DGU is "I wish to speak to an attorney. I do not consent to any search."

... if you fired a warning shot then your first shot did miss, but let him be the one to tell the cops that. After all, the difference between a warning shot and a kill shot is the shooter's intention. Since your lawyer is not psychic he can't know whether you fired for warning or effect, so he is not lying to the police. Remember, they didn't get Martha Stewart for insider trading, they got her for lying to the police.

http://www.freelibertywriters.com/br...ing-shots.html
    I take it you don't comprehend what you just quoted about "how to legally survive a defensive shooting" ?

I believe the loud gun shot violated the statutory noise/nuisance clause of the property's tenancy agreement, we can add that one as well!!
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by bxm042 View Post
    I believe the loud gun shot violated the statutory noise/nuisance clause of the property's tenancy agreement, we can add that one as well!!
    Are you people nuts? Who's to say it was a warning shot? Maybe she just really sucks at shooting and really missed by a lot. Her next shot obviously would have been closer if he kept advancing toward her. Damn, she was in fear for her life, give the woman a break!

Quote Originally Posted by The Free Hornet View Post
    If it's legal to shoot someone, it should be legal to intentionally miss (warning shot).
    Umm, not exactly... If you're intentionally missing, then once can assume you're not fearing for your life, or you would have shot him... That's how the law is likely to view it anyway.

By intentionally missing, however, you're, again intentionally, putting a bullet out where it could hurt another person, again, in a case where it was not yet a matter of life and death, but rather a preventative action, which is not justified to discharge a firearm for.... If you said that she was in the right because she wanted to prevent a violent confrontation, then you're opening up quite a dangerous Bush-like view of "pre-emptive strike".

Plain and simple, if she feared for her safety and had no other recourse, she should have shot at him, not out into space where the bullet could end up hitting another person instead... Though I guess the police could use discretion in this case, assuming the roof was thick enough to stop the bullet, and knowing that she was dealing with abuse... But under normal circumstances, it's still not at all safe or justified to fire a weapon into the air in a remotely populated area. People can be badly injured that way.

To be fair here, I still side with the woman, but you have to understand how the law views it. They necessarily have protocol to follow about what's justified with a firearm, and so discretion may be tough.
    I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than be living as a puppet or a slave - Peter Tosh

The kids they dance and shake their bones,
    While the politicians are throwing stones,
    And it's all too clear we're on our own,
    Singing ashes, ashes, all fall down...

Quote Originally Posted by RickyJ View Post
    Are you people nuts? Who's to say it was a warning shot? Maybe she just really sucks at shooting and really missed by a lot. Her next shot obviously would have been closer if he kept advancing toward her. Damn, she was in fear for her life, give the woman a break!
    No sir, if there is a law on the books that makes it illegal we need to make sure she gets punished for it!!! /azxd
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

You can add aggravated assault with a deadly weapon to the list of charges.

A aggravated assault occurs when somebody does something, by word or act, to put another person in fear of imminent danger, and in doing so displays a deadly weapon. An example of an aggravated assault with a deadly weapon would be holding a knife at somebody and threatening to cut them.

Edit: that's actually what she was charged with. Honestly, I think the jury should feel ashamed for convicting her, even though what she did technically is exactly what the law classifies as aggravated assault.
    Last edited by JebSanderson; 05-02-2012 at 11:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RickyJ View Post
    From a link in the article, read and learn - http://www.scribd.com/doc/89763177/N...ion-to-Dismiss

She retrieved a gun, and went back into the house (from the garage) ... If she felt so threatened as to need a gun for defense, she should have stayed in the garage and waited for the man to approach her.

Her own words caused the conviction, and her lawyer sucks because he put this in writing.
    Fearing great bodily injury and/or her life, Ms. Alexander then retrieved a registered gunfor protection and went back into her home.
    She might have been OK, if the safety of the children had been mentioned ... ETA: But they were outside in the car.
    Last edited by azxd; 05-02-2012 at 11:13 AM.

No sir, if there is a law on the books that makes it illegal we need to make sure she gets punished for it!!! /azxd
    See post #21

She acted stupidly, and so did her unqualified to take the case, lawyer.

See post #21

I agree. She fired a weapon recklessly with no imminent danger to herself or her children present.

Twenty year mandatory minimum sentence? Add that to the long list of reasons to never go to Florida. I want to know how/why she was charged with 3 counts of aggravated assault.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    See post #21

It's her home. She has no obligation to wait in the garage.
    - Kim Kardashian

It's her home. She has no obligation to wait in the garage.
    She also has no lawful right to fire her gun unless there is an imminent threat to her life present. That said, 20 years for this is unbelievably ridiculous.

I agree. She fired a weapon recklessly with no imminent danger to herself or her children present.
    Uhh, if she fired the gun I doubt she didn't feel like there was any eminent danger
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by jkr View Post
    should have killed him

SHE'D BE OUT IN 7...
    Much truth here......

Less time for manslaughter than most drug charges.

She also has no lawful right to fire her gun unless there is an imminent threat to her life present. That said, 20 years for this is unbelievably ridiculous.
    If it's a crime, then who is the victim?
    - Kim Kardashian

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Uhh, if she fired the gun I doubt she didn't feel like there was any eminent danger
    If there was imminent (not eminent, that means something else) danger to her life she would have shot to kill.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast