Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: Looking to start a profitable online business - need an experienced computer programmer

  1. #1

    Default Looking to start a profitable online business - need an experienced computer programmer

    I need someone who knows HTML code and can start and maintain a website. If you're interested, PM me and we'll talk about what the plan is. This is a serious business, so there will be risks involved. Before we try this, I need to know that you'll be able to keep and maintain a consumer-based website, and also that you'll take this seriously so our efforts aren't wasted.

    I don't want to give away too much information right now, but the idea I had in mind would open up new social networking possibilities geared toward runners. It has the potential to be very good business, since we will be the first in the market to try this exciting new idea. We can talk about the logistics and the contract in PM before we start the planning stage. I am open to ideas, but right now, that's what I had in mind, so you can let me know what you think of it once I tell you the details.

    Graphic designing ability is a plus. I will be responsible for making the decisions of how to appeal to the market, since I was once heavily involved in it myself as a runner. If you would like to be a part of this new and original innovative idea, PM me and let me know how good you are. No athletic experience is required, but it couldn't hurt.

    Shoot me a PM and we'll get started.
    "The greater the number of prescriptions, the more people's sense of personal responsibility dwindles." ~Hans Monderman



  2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  3. #2

    Default

    Is this another one of those "I have a great idea I just need a programmer to do all the work and implementation and then we will be rich (but me more than you because it is my idea after all)" types of things? Sorry don't mean to be rude but as a programmer I've just seen that way too many times.
    Last edited by brandon; 04-30-2012 at 05:17 PM.
    Original supporter of Ron Paul since 2007 and I stand with Rand.

  4. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brandon View Post
    Is this another one of those "I have a great idea I just need a programmer to do all the work and implementation and then we will be rich (but me more than you because it is my idea after all)?" types of things? Sorry don't mean to be rude but as a programmer I've just seen that way too many times.
    Well frankly I don't know what you're talking about, but I'm certainly not trying to be dishonest. That's what negotiations are for.
    "The greater the number of prescriptions, the more people's sense of personal responsibility dwindles." ~Hans Monderman

  5. #4
    Member newbitech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    8,433
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brandon View Post
    Is this another one of those "I have a great idea I just need a programmer to do all the work and implementation and then we will be rich (but me more than you because it is my idea after all)?" types of things? Sorry don't mean to be rude but as a programmer I've just seen that way too many times.
    Yerp, but don't lie, every time you hear one of these you think about stories like facebook =P

  6. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brandon View Post
    Is this another one of those "I have a great idea I just need a programmer to do all the work and implementation and then we will be rich (but me more than you because it is my idea after all)?" types of things? Sorry don't mean to be rude but as a programmer I've just seen that way too many times.

    TAKING ADVANTAGE OF PEOPLE is Human Nature. Effin' PLATO called it, than man spies ADVANTAGE in injustice.

    Therefore, it is less a matter of Others getting away with Whatever, than of Programmers dropping some ball or other.

    WHO champions Contract Law more than Ron Paul Supporters? Only Lawyers.

  7. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PaulConventionWV View Post
    Looking to start a profitable online business

    ...It has the potential to be very good business, since we will be the first in the market to try this exciting new idea. We can talk about the logistics and the contract in PM before we start the planning stage. I am open to ideas, but right now, that's what I had in mind, so you can let me know what you think of it once I tell you the details.

    Graphic designing ability is a plus. I will be responsible for making the decisions of how to appeal to the market, since I was once heavily involved in it myself as a runner. If you would like to be a part of this new and original innovative idea, PM me and let me know how good you are. No athletic experience is required, but it couldn't hurt.

    Shoot me a PM and we'll get started.

    Only Scam Artists and Tax Evaders seek to start UNPROFITABLE businesses.

    VERY GOOD BUSINESS + FIRST IN THE MARKET + ORIGINAL INNOVATIVE IDEA does not square with OPEN TO NEW IDEAS.

    OPEN TO NEW IDEAS doesn't square with I WILL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR MAKING ALL DECISIONS.

    Or do you MEAN responsible? That you shall not only MAKE all decisions, but also assume all downside risk and liability?

    HOW IS THIS GENERAL POLITICS?

    People huddle in GRASSROOTS CENTRAL and GENERAL POLITICS the same way people hug the Atlantic and Pacific coastlines . . . lol, the same way people gravitate to the KITCHEN during holiday get-togethers.
    Last edited by cheapseats; 04-30-2012 at 01:47 PM.

  8. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cheapseats View Post
    TAKING ADVANTAGE OF PEOPLE is Human Nature. Effin' PLATO called it, than man spies ADVANTAGE in injustice.

    Therefore, it is less a matter of Others getting away with Whatever, than of Programmers dropping some ball or other.

    WHO champions Contract Law more than Ron Paul Supporters? Only Lawyers.
    Look, all I can do is assure you of my moral standings. I want things to be as fair as possible. But you don't have to take my word for it. If we make a contract and I don't keep up my end of the bargain, then you can sue my ass.
    "The greater the number of prescriptions, the more people's sense of personal responsibility dwindles." ~Hans Monderman

  9. #8

    Default

    awake is the best graphic designer on here. amazing stuff. contact him.
    Those Who Do Not Move, Do Not Notice Their Chains.

  10. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PaulConventionWV View Post
    Look, all I can do is assure you of my moral standings.
    Dude. You blame your parents' ugly divorce on your wicked little sister...don't effin' talk to me about being "OF YOUR" moral standings.



    I want things to be as fair as possible. But you don't have to take my word for it. If we make a contract and I don't keep up my end of the bargain, then you can sue my ass.
    First, I was DEFENDING the concept that people ought NOT be getting screwed over, by the very Contracts that are waved at others of us as "protection."

    THERE ARE NO GUARANTEES. Second, I was suggesting that virtual guarantee of profits is unrealistic . . . it BEGS for bad blood.

    Third, there IS a world of difference between "open to ideas" and "I will make all decisions." You kinda gloss over that.

  11. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by newbitech View Post
    Yerp, but don't lie, every time you hear one of these you think about stories like facebook =P

    Part-time Google masseuse retires a multimillionaire after share price boom

    Last updated at 15:37 13 November 2007

    A woman who took a job as a part-time masseuse at Google when it was a small start-up is now a multimillionaire, thanks to the rise of the internet giant's share price.

    Bonnie Brown needed a job after divorcing so she took one at the small technology start-up earning $450 a week.

    The post also gave her a pile of what she considered to be worthless stock options - but five years after starting work at Google she has now retired and even set up her own charity.

    When she took the job she was living with her sister - but she now lives in Nevada, and has her own masseuse and personal trainer.

    Now Ms Brown, 52, has written a book, as yet unpublished, Giigle: How I Got Lucky Massaging Google.

    "I'm happy I saved enough stock for a rainy day, and lately it's been pouring," she told the New York Times.

    She said: "Everytime I give some away, it just keeps filling up again. It's like an overflowing pot."

    It is estimated that 1,000 employees, Ms Brown among them, have accrued fortunes worth at least $5 million apiece from the nine-year-old web giant's rise and rise.

    The money has flowed from Google's stranglehold of the hugely lucrative online advertising market and investors' seemingly insatiable appetite for the group's shares.

    The company, which was founded in a garage by two students, sported a stock market value of a huge $207 billion.

    Ms Brown ditched her day job at Google shortly after the company's stock market float.

    At the same time, she cashed in most of her options - by which time the stock had doubled in value from its debut price of $85 to a sum that was enough to bag her a multimillion-dollar fortune.

    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...rice-boom.html

  12. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cheapseats View Post
    Dude. You blame your parents' ugly divorce on your wicked little sister...don't effin' talk to me about being "OF YOUR" moral standings.


    What's with the animosity? Did I bring your personal matters into this? If you don't want anything to do with this, then don't respond. You're wasting my time.

    First, I was DEFENDING the concept that people ought NOT be getting screwed over, by the very Contracts that are waved at others of us as "protection."

    THERE ARE NO GUARANTEES. Second, I was suggesting that virtual guarantee of profits is unrealistic . . . it BEGS for bad blood.

    Third, there IS a world of difference between "open to ideas" and "I will make all decisions." You kinda gloss over that.
    I never promised profits. I said there would be risks. Plenty of them, too. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone who has the capacity to help me carry out this project so I resorted to coming here where I can get flamed by people like you. I'm not here to argue, so please be kind enough to just leave if you're not interested.

    Also, I never said I would "make all decisions."
    Last edited by PaulConventionWV; 04-30-2012 at 02:05 PM.
    "The greater the number of prescriptions, the more people's sense of personal responsibility dwindles." ~Hans Monderman

  13. #12

  14. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Valley of the gun
    Posts
    2,512

    Default

    Don't really have any free time, but am curious ... Will the site be static, or dynamic, as in content will be linked to a product database ?

    It will make a huge difference in the capabilities of those you seek to employ.

    Have you considered speaking to a local school that offers programs in web development ?
    They might be able to hook you up with exactly what you need, and at the least, they might offer some guidance as you pursue this endeavour.

    If it's really a cutting edge idea, have whoever you speak with, sign a disclosure statement.
    Let them keep thinking Ron Paul supporters are just a little army. Every military strategy manual in the world has examples of the bad things that happen to arrogant commanders of massive armies that underestimate the enemy. They all lose. We will win because the human heart, despite its detractors, is meant for truth and freedom.

  15. #14

    Default

    This isn't an appropriate place for your topic.

    Hire a programmer on scriptlance.com They will make your site exactly to your specifications for 300 to 500 dollars.

    Also, you may think you are first to the market, but you probably aren't. I've used this site for years:

    http://friendfit.com/
    Freedom is popular!

  16. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RonPaulCult View Post
    This isn't an appropriate place for your topic.

    Hire a programmer on scriptlance.com They will make your site exactly to your specifications for 300 to 500 dollars.

    Also, you may think you are first to the market, but you probably aren't. I've used this site for years:

    http://friendfit.com/
    That's not what I had in mind at all.
    "The greater the number of prescriptions, the more people's sense of personal responsibility dwindles." ~Hans Monderman

  17. #16

    Default

    Is it going to be like http://runkeeper.com/?
    Original supporter of Ron Paul since 2007 and I stand with Rand.

  18. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PaulConventionWV View Post
    I need someone who knows HTML code and can start and maintain a website. If you're interested, PM me and we'll talk about what the plan is. This is a serious business, so there will be risks involved. Before we try this, I need to know that you'll be able to keep and maintain a consumer-based website, and also that you'll take this seriously so our efforts aren't wasted.

    I don't want to give away too much information right now, but the idea I had in mind would open up new social networking possibilities geared toward runners. It has the potential to be very good business, since we will be the first in the market to try this exciting new idea. We can talk about the logistics and the contract in PM before we start the planning stage. I am open to ideas, but right now, that's what I had in mind, so you can let me know what you think of it once I tell you the details.

    Graphic designing ability is a plus. I will be responsible for making the decisions of how to appeal to the market, since I was once heavily involved in it myself as a runner. If you would like to be a part of this new and original innovative idea, PM me and let me know how good you are. No athletic experience is required, but it couldn't hurt.

    Shoot me a PM and we'll get started.
    If you're looking to program your own website, here are some good resources for you

    I prefer to do websites in ASP.net

    First the basics of C# and html
    C# tutorial
    HTML tutorial

    Then the website specific stuff

    ASP.net Tutorial
    ASP.NET MVC Tutorial



    Another framework, which is similar, and also rather easy is Ruby on Rails, you can look for Ruby on Rails tutorials with google.
    If you wanted some sort of Ideological purity, you'll get none of that from me.

  19. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brandon View Post
    Is it going to be like http://runkeeper.com/?
    Nope. You guys are out of guesses. Thanks for playing.
    "The greater the number of prescriptions, the more people's sense of personal responsibility dwindles." ~Hans Monderman

  20. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sam I am View Post
    If you're looking to program your own website, here are some good resources for you

    I prefer to do websites in ASP.net

    First the basics of C# and html
    C# tutorial
    HTML tutorial

    Then the website specific stuff

    ASP.net Tutorial
    ASP.NET MVC Tutorial



    Another framework, which is similar, and also rather easy is Ruby on Rails, you can look for Ruby on Rails tutorials with google.
    Thanks for the resources.

    To everyone, thank you, I think I have what I need now. This thread is now closed, as per my decree.
    "The greater the number of prescriptions, the more people's sense of personal responsibility dwindles." ~Hans Monderman

  21. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Valley of the gun
    Posts
    2,512

    Default

    Best of luck, Paul.
    Let them keep thinking Ron Paul supporters are just a little army. Every military strategy manual in the world has examples of the bad things that happen to arrogant commanders of massive armies that underestimate the enemy. They all lose. We will win because the human heart, despite its detractors, is meant for truth and freedom.

  22. #21

    Default

    When you get into talkin social networking, youre getting into much more than some simple HTML and adobe (imaging).. youre talkin PHP territory and database and likely depending on your ideas some JavaScript possible Ajax/JQuery. Then when you talk profits.. getting into web transactions comes to mind... which depending on the platform adds to the beast. A better start of disclosure would be of hosting and server enviornment you got. Things then, depending on your host could get into the possible likes of Apache programming/config. something else to add to the plate.

    More then getting screwed on cash is getting screwed on time. which can add to the bad blood when a client wants something that is agreed to but they imagine in their head it will take a mear 24hrs to complete when it can take weeks or even months depending on ones schedule and the workload.
    Last edited by A_Silent_Majority_Member; 05-01-2012 at 07:54 AM.

    - Welcome to the R[3\/0_l]UTION -
    For America... For Liberty... Ron Paul 2012!

    Because enough is enough and its time to take our country back!
    Of the PEOPLE, by the PEOPLE and for the PEOPLE!

    - Join the Ron Paul Army Today! -

    - Phone Bank -^v^v- Canvas -^v^- Donate -^v^v- Inform -^v^- Vote -^v^v- WIN! -


  23. #22

    Default

    I never promised profits.
    In this business, that basically amounts to "If we make a profit, then you get X% of the company, where X is considerably less than my percentage. If we don't make a profit, you don't get paid at all." Also profit is defined as "what we make after server charges and everything I've spent so far but neglected to tell you about".

    If you're looking for a single web developer (rather than a team), that implies that you have no earthly idea how to do web development, so you don't understand the amount of work that goes into even a small project. Of course there's no risk for you; if you don't make a profit then oh well no harm done since you're not programming the thing.

    The best you can hope for with this thread is getting an inexperienced programmer who hasn't experienced any of the above over and over. By being inexperienced, they won't mind the hope of future profits; however by being inexperienced they'll probably lose interest at some point or won't have the expertise necessary or any number of other bad things.

    What I suggest for you is to learn some programming and do it on your own -- at the very least you'll have an understanding of what it takes and even if the project is feasible in the way you've thought of it. There are certain sections you might want to hire someone for, for example security or the financial aspect of it, but you can target those areas specifically. What you should especially do is promise to pay the programmers even if you don't make a profit -- preferably a little bit before or as they're working on it. Otherwise, don't expect to get anyone worthwhile.





« Previous Thread | Next Thread »


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •