Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: As a business owner or employer, just what the hell is supposed to be done here?

Exclamation As a business owner or employer, just what the hell is supposed to be done here?

When regulations attack.

And I am aware of any possible inconsistencies, WRT to my stances on employer mandated drug tests and other such things.

And WTF?

Paprika?

For all those who support banning smoking in homes and apartments, should this woman have the right to remove paprika from my kitchen cabinets?

“Ex-Worker Sues City Over Service Dog For Paprika Allergy”

by Walter Olson on April 19, 2012

http://overlawyered.com/2012/04/ex-w...prika-allergy/

“A former city worker is suing Indianapolis after she claims the city failed to accommodate the service dog she needs due to her severe allergy to paprika.” The city had already removed certain foods from its vending machines but declined to accept a service dog as reasonable accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) because a co-worker was allergic to dogs.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    LibForestPaul

youhad to make me go look, didn't you. i thought, nah, what...this has got to be joke

http://angelservicedogs.com/

LibForestPaul

Well its civil service, so tax payout for all.

Now if this was private employer, Vaseline and thank you sir may i have another would likely be in order.

Since our company never has any job openings, we don't have employment law and regulation issues.
    Out of every one hundred men they send us, ten should not even be here. Eighty will do nothing but serve as targets for the enemy. Nine are real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, upon them depends our success in battle. But one, ah the one, he is a real warrior, and he will bring the others back from battle alive.

Duty is the most sublime word in the English language. Do your duty in all things. You can not do more than your duty. You should never wish to do less than your duty.

The situation is onerous enough that unless your business is very highly profitable, or you're getting a special deal from the government that lightens the economic load of regulations & taxes, there is little incentive to hire anyone. With so few businesses hiring for so few positions, fewer payroll taxes are being paid, worsening the financial position of programs like SS and Medicare, neither of which was in good shape to begin with. This makes the Keynesian morons demand higher taxes and more printed money, making businesses want to hire even less (or go out of business), lessening tax revenue, etc. in a vicious cycle that can destroy the whole economy.

I laugh at all the "comfort" animals now allowed (outside of kennels) in the cabin of the commercial airline aircraft.

I'm kinda allergic to cats and dogs, what about me, wah!
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    When regulations attack.

And I am aware of any possible inconsistencies, WRT to my stances on employer mandated drug tests and other such things.

And WTF?

Paprika?

For all those who support banning smoking in homes and apartments, should this woman have the right to remove paprika from my kitchen cabinets?

“Ex-Worker Sues City Over Service Dog For Paprika Allergy”

by Walter Olson on April 19, 2012

http://overlawyered.com/2012/04/ex-w...prika-allergy/

“A former city worker is suing Indianapolis after she claims the city failed to accommodate the service dog she needs due to her severe allergy to paprika.” The city had already removed certain foods from its vending machines but declined to accept a service dog as reasonable accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) because a co-worker was allergic to dogs.
    What is this about? The most I can make out is that she is suing the city because she worked there and paprika caused her to have an allergic reaction, and somehow a dog is involved. I really don't get what this story is about. Can someone clarify it for me?
    I'm an adventurer, writer and bitcoin market analyst.

Buy my book for $11.49 (reduced):

Twitter: https://twitter.com/LeviGrandt

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/grandtstori...homepage_panel

BTC: 1NiSc21Yrv6CRANhg1DTb1EUBVax1ZtqvG

Quote Originally Posted by PaulConventionWV View Post
    What is this about? The most I can make out is that she is suing the city because she worked there and paprika caused her to have an allergic reaction, and somehow a dog is involved. I really don't get what this story is about. Can someone clarify it for me?
    I read a little more, here's a thumbnail:

Woman has paprika allergy.

Woman needs service dog to, I'm assuming, sniff out paprika, before it gets close enough to her that she turns into Violet Beauregarde or some damn thing.

Woman is denied permission to bring service dog to work, because another worker is allergic to dogs, thus opening up another can of regulatory worms.

Woman with paprika allergy sues.

Woman is city worker so taxpayers will end up paying.

Employer is faced with a regulatory Catch22.

Do I get sued by the paprika allergy woman or the dog allergy woman?
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 04-28-2012 at 10:04 PM.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    "IF GOD DIDN'T WANT TO HELP AMERICA, THEN WE WOULD HAVE Hillary Clinton"!!
    "let them search you,touch you,violate your Rights,just don't be a dick!"~ cdc482
    "For Wales. Why Richard, it profits a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world. But for Wales?"
    All my life I've been at the mercy of men just following orders... Never again!~Erik Lehnsherr
    There's nothing wrong with stopping people randomly, especially near bars, restaurants etc.~Velho

regulations like.... fair trade policies???

"If men are good, then they need no rulers. If men are bad, then governments of men, composed of men, will also be bad - and probably worse, due to the State's amplification of coercive power." - Ozarkia

"Big Brother is watching. So are we." - WikiLeaks

Laissez-nous faire, laissez-nous passer. Le monde va de lui meme.

I read a little more, here's a thumbnail:

Woman has paprika allergy.

Woman needs service dog to, I'm assuming, sniff out paprika, before it gets close enough to her that she turns into Violet Beauregarde or some damn thing.

Woman is denied permission to bring service dog to work, because another worker is allergic to dogs, thus opening up another can of regulatory worms.

Woman with paprika allergy sues.

Woman is city worker so taxpayers will end up paying.

Employer is faced with a regulatory Catch22.

Do I get sued by the paprika allergy woman or the dog allergy woman?
    Tell her to get an effing epinephrine pen and then to $#@! Off.
    ATTAINING FREEDOM
    Man must get rid of illusions that enslave and paralyze him; he must become aware of the reality inside and outside of him in order to create a world which needs no illusions. Freedom and independence can be achieved only when the chains of illusion are broken.
    --ERICH FROMM

“In a land of freedom we are held hostage by the tyranny of political correctness” Robert Griffin III

I don't get this at all
    A savage barbaric tribal society where thugs parade the streets and illegally assault and murder innocent civilians, yeah that is the alternative to having police. Oh wait, that is the police

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.
    - Edward R. Murrow

...I think we have moral obligations to disobey unjust laws, because non-cooperation with evil is as much as a moral obligation as cooperation with good. - MLK Jr.

How to trigger a liberal: "I didn't get vaccinated."

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior_of_Freedom View Post
    I don't get this at all
    Just another story that won't make national news.
    Let them keep thinking Ron Paul supporters are just a little army. Every military strategy manual in the world has examples of the bad things that happen to arrogant commanders of massive armies that underestimate the enemy. They all lose. We will win because the human heart, despite its detractors, is meant for truth and freedom.

This is BS! If you want to work then work or get out!

There's always a bargaining-process unfolding in the market, if someone wants to work then they should choose that if not then someone else will do it, UNLESS their labor is worth making accommodations for but again, these things are better sorted on the private market, that's why this stuff be funded voluntarily than through taxes

Quote Originally Posted by Sentient Void View Post
    regulations like.... fair trade policies???

You know, that's the problem, most people don't have a problem with "regulations" & violating others' liberties so long as they THINK they're going to get a (real or perceived) benefit out of it but only when a "regulation" impinges on their liberties do they care but don't mind them violating others' liberties anyway

People often talk about tyrannical governments but as Ron Paul said, people get the kind of government they deserve & that's true, when you have many self-centered people who don't mind violating others' liberties for (real or perceived) benefit then tyranny is inevitable

And unfortunately plenty of such hypocrisy goes around on these forums, they'll moan about the regulations hurting our liberties but they'll support regulations that they THINK will benefit them
    There is enormous inertia — a tyranny of the status quo — in private and especially governmental arrangements. Only a crisis — actual or perceived — produces real change. When that crisis occurs, the actions that are taken depend on the ideas that are lying around. That, I believe, is our basic function: to develop alternatives to existing policies, to keep them alive and available until the politically impossible becomes politically inevitable
    - Milton Friedman

LibForestPaul

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior_of_Freedom View Post
    I don't get this at all
    Did you check the link I posted...click it, it is very interesting...

Under the ADA, an employer is required to make "reasonable" accommodation. "Reasonable" is one of those mushy words that has no real legal meaning separate of the circumstances. However, it cannot be said that a "reasonable" accommodation is one that endangers the health of another employee who already works there. At the same time, if the service had regular relationships with blind people who needed service dogs, firing the woman who was allergic to dogs would also be "reasonable".

Either way, the employer should win the lawsuit and I wouldn't touch it knowing just the facts posted here.

ETA: As for the political argument going on, I'm only in favor of regulations that ensure all people are treated equally at businesses if they can pay/perform the work. However, I am a left leaning Republican right now so I know many might be reasonable in disagreeing with me in that regard.
    Last edited by Titus; 04-29-2012 at 12:41 PM.
    Want more information regarding the chaos surrounding the 2012 Republican Nomination? Check out http://www.electionchaos.com

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    As a business owner, my policy is... keep everyone happy. And get insurance. Lots of it.

I love this so much my heart wants to explode.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    I laugh at all the "comfort" animals now allowed (outside of kennels) in the cabin of the commercial airline aircraft.

I'm kinda allergic to cats and dogs, what about me, wah!
    Flame away, but I'm of the mindset that people with allergies need to stay home, as their mere existence is an excessive burden on society.

Hookworms or raw milk will clear those allergies right up. No one should have to make special, permanent concessions for a reversible malady.
    "This here's Miss Bonnie Parker. I'm Clyde Barrow. We rob banks."

Quote Originally Posted by pauljmccain View Post
    As a business owner, my policy is... keep everyone happy. And get insurance. Lots of it.
    Good luck with the former, and agree on the latter. Some of us can't afford excess insurance though.

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Flame away, but I'm of the mindset that people with allergies need to stay home, as their mere existence is an excessive burden on society.
    They need to stop being wimps. Or else it's the vaccines $#@!ing people up badly, one or the other.

If they were both my employees, I would ask them which of you will sue me if I accomodate the other?

Any who say yes will be layed off.
    CPT Jack. R. T.
    US Army Resigned - Iraq Vet.
    Level III MACP instructor, USYKA/WYKKO sensei
    Professional Hunter/Trapper/Country living survivalist.

Eugenitisist's would agree with this mentality

Let them keep thinking Ron Paul supporters are just a little army. Every military strategy manual in the world has examples of the bad things that happen to arrogant commanders of massive armies that underestimate the enemy. They all lose. We will win because the human heart, despite its detractors, is meant for truth and freedom.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Most people are allergic to something or another. I'm particularly allergic to grasses and dust. People with allergies aren't really a "burden on society" unless they make themselves such by making absurd demands. It could easily be argued that women are more of a "burden to society" than allergy sufferers.

ETA: http://www.webmd.com/allergies/allergy-statistics
    • Number of people in the U.S. who have either allergy or asthma symptoms: one in five.
    • Percentage of the U.S. population that tests positive to one or more allergens: 55%.
    • I don't think it's practical to make that many people stay home, do you?
    Last edited by heavenlyboy34; 04-29-2012 at 09:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Call the cops , they can shoot the dog , confiscate all paprika , problem solved .

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Call the cops , they can shoot the dog , confiscate all paprika , problem solved .
    The problen just needed an innovative solution +rep
    Out of every one hundred men they send us, ten should not even be here. Eighty will do nothing but serve as targets for the enemy. Nine are real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, upon them depends our success in battle. But one, ah the one, he is a real warrior, and he will bring the others back from battle alive.

Duty is the most sublime word in the English language. Do your duty in all things. You can not do more than your duty. You should never wish to do less than your duty.

The ADA is the WORST of the Federal "Civil Rights" laws. It is extremely broad and very expensive to implement. Thanks George Bush Senior.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    ETA: As for the political argument going on, I'm only in favor of regulations that ensure all people are treated equally at businesses if they can pay/perform the work. However, I am a left leaning Republican right now so I know many might be reasonable in disagreeing with me in that regard.
    You think GOVERNMENT should be empowered to determine how every employee and every customer in the entire marketplace is treated by every other person in the marketplace and use force to correct what the government deems to be unfair treatment in each instance? Do you really think that is a workable plan?

Or let's take it from another angle. Do you think government should be able to force you to associate with people you don't like? Do you think government should be able to prevent you, by force, from quitting a job?
    Last edited by Acala; 04-30-2012 at 03:16 PM.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

I'm only in favor of regulations that ensure all people are treated equally at businesses if they can pay/perform
    Good job enforcing that without causing massive issues *cough*affirmativeaction*cough*.

You think GOVERNMENT should be empowered to determine how every employee and every customer in the entire marketplace is treated by every other person in the marketplace and use force to correct what the government deems to be unfair treatment in each instance? Do you really think that is a workable plan?
    +rep

Do you think government should be able to force you to associate with people you don't like? Do you think government should be able to prevent you, by force, from quitting a job?
    Hahaha, yeah, I make that argument with people all the time. Government regulation theories all fall apart when you think of employers as employees and providers as customers. Which they are, since all associations or transactions are voluntary.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast