Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Obama Threatens to Veto CISPA

Obama Threatens to Veto CISPA

Obama Threatens to Veto CISPA. See full article at link below quote.

This is HUGE: President Obama just threatened to veto CISPA if it makes its way through Congress.

Please add your name at right to urge Obama to stand strong, and to let your lawmakers know that you support Obama's veto threat.

CISPA is up for a vote this week. It would obliterate any semblance of online privacy in the United States, giving the government -- including the military -- broad new powers to spy on Internet users.

The White House's letter expresses precisely the concerns that we've been highlighting over recent weeks -- and is a result of the public pressure against CISPA:
    http://act.demandprogress.org/letter...eJHwC&rd=1&t=2

Whitehouse statement:
    http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/defa...r_20120425.pdf
    Last edited by jct74; 04-29-2012 at 02:30 AM. Reason: add whitehouse statement from merged thread

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    what's his angle?

Quote Originally Posted by thoughtomator View Post
    what's his angle?
    re-election
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

what's his angle?
    Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    re-election
    lol, yep, it's about that time isn't it.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

what's his angle?

"The White House's letter expresses precisely the concerns that we've been highlighting over recent weeks -- and is a result of the public pressure against CISPA:

The White House says that any cybersecurity legislation must preserve "Americans' privacy, data confidentiality, and civil liberties and [recognize] the civilian nature of cyberspace."
    It says that, "The bill also lacks sufficient limitations on the sharing of personally identifiable information between private entities and does not contain adequate oversight or accountability measures necessary to ensure that the data is used only for appropriate purposes."
    And the letter goes on to assert that:

The American people expect their Government to enhance security without undermining their privacy and civil liberties.

Without clear legal protections and independent oversight, information sharing legislation will undermine the public's trust in the Government as well as in the Internet by undermining fundamental privacy, confidentiality, civil liberties, and consumer protections."
    Last edited by rockerrockstar; 04-25-2012 at 03:55 PM.

Obviously any claim of interest in our privacy (other than to violate it) is pure fabrication.

It would be more consistent with his history if he is holding out for something even more invasive.

Obviously any claim of interest in our privacy (other than to violate it) is pure fabrication.

It would be more consistent with his history if he is holding out for something even more invasive.
    I just found infowars take on it. They agree with you. Let's just hope Obama does veto because it is a win for liberty.

Indeed, the real reason behind the administration’s hostility to CISPA is revealed later in the email – that it doesn’t give the Department of Homeland Security enough power over Internet traffic.
    “H.R. 3523 effectively treats domestic cybersecurity as an intelligence activity and thus, significantly departs from longstanding efforts to treat the Internet and cyberspace as civilian spheres. The Administration believes that a civilian agency – the Department of Homeland Security – must have a central role in domestic cybersecurity, including for conducting and overseeing the exchange of cybersecurity information with the private sector and with sector-specific Federal agencies,” states the email.
    http://www.infowars.com/white-house-...a-crude-stunt/
    Last edited by rockerrockstar; 04-25-2012 at 04:06 PM.

Well, one would have to be a complete fool to think the guy pushing TSA to molest children and grandmothers (in the name of allegedly looking for "terrorists") is bothered by the invasion-of-privacy aspect of the bill, so logic dictates that his objection (if real) must be something else.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I hope he doesn't use the same MAGIC VETO pen that he used for the NDAA, and by magic I mean FAKE. He said this last time, not only did he NOT veto it, he ended up demanding that American's are included.

So, he will "VETO" this by adding "everyone's password must be "Obama" for every website"
    Last edited by ZENemy; 04-25-2012 at 04:10 PM.

Well, one would have to be a complete fool to think the guy pushing TSA to molest children and grandmothers (in the name of allegedly looking for "terrorists") is bothered by the invasion-of-privacy aspect of the bill, so logic dictates that his objection (if real) must be something else.
    He is probably smart enough to know people would be very upset if this law passed. Look at how mad people were about last anti piracy bill that they tried to pass SOPA.

Quote Originally Posted by ZENemy View Post
    I hope he doesn't use the same MAGIC VETO pen that he used for the NDAA, and by magic I mean FAKE. He said this last time, not only did he NOT veto it, he ended up demanding that American's are included.

So, he will "VETO" this by adding "everyone's password must be "Obama" for every website"
    I hope not. I agree that makes me worried too. He did say he would veto NDAA but then passed it.

Check this out John Boehner (R-Ohio) expressed his support of the bill

Democrats argue the bill should give the Department of Homeland Security more authority over private networks. President Barack Obama has also opposed the legislation and has threatened a veto.

On the flip side, Speaker of the House John Boehner (R-Ohio) expressed his support of the bill Tuesday, arguing that would help the economy and protect jobs. The bill would give businesses incentives to share information on cyber-threats with the government, which in turn could share classified data with businesses. Republicans expect the bill to pass the House.
    http://www.mndaily.com/blogs/newssta...ote-draws-fire

Speaker of the House John Boehner, R-Ohio, expressed his support for controversial cybersecurity legislation on Tuesday, calling it a "common-sense solution" that will help protect America's economy.

The House is poised to debate the Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act, which would give businesses incentives to share cyberthreat information with government, and allow government agencies to share classified data with businesses.

The bill sparked civil liberties concerns and the White House and some Democrats say any cybersecurity legislation needs to give Homeland Security officials more authority to oversee private networks.

But in a commentary in Investor's Business Daily, Boehner said the bill strikes the right balance.

"The private sector owns and operates most of the networks under assault. So instead of imposing new mandates, or having government agencies monitor or police private networks, [CISPA] helps private-sector job creators defend themselves and their users," he wrote.

Republicans are predicting the bill, which has gathered bipartisan support, will pass the House, along with several other cybersecurity bills aimed at bolstering federal network security and providing for more R&D.
    http://techdailydose.nationaljournal...elp-econom.php
    Last edited by rockerrockstar; 04-25-2012 at 04:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ZENemy View Post
    +rep.

Even if he does veto this one, it will be back and likely in a more dastardly form. Still, I hope he will veto it.
    Best of luck in life.

Here I'll write the press release....

The White House on Wednesday said it would not veto the controversial Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act (CISPA) of 2012.

President Barack Obama’s spokesman Jay Carney said the latest version of the legislation had addressed his worries about new rules on information sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    re-election
    Bingo!

It'll pass after his re-election.
    Well, I got Rand started on his campaign (just search around here to see). I advised Thomas Massie before he ran for Congress. I am currently advising 2 liberty campaigns for the state legislature. I ran the war-room and won Minnesota for Ron Paul a few weeks back. There are other things I'm probably forgetting.
    Yet I can't afford $200 to go to a seminar--Matt Collins

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Sure. He also promised to veto NDAA.

He didn't.
    "Corruptisima republica plurimae leges."

---- Tacitus

I love von Mises and Emma Watson

what's his angle?
    From another article http://www.dailytech.com/Ron+Paul+Pr...ticle24557.htm

President Obama has threatened to veto the measure if passes the House and Senate.

"[T]he bill would allow broad sharing of information with governmental entities without establishing requirements for both industry and the Government to minimize and protect personally identifiable information," he complains in a letter, "[It] lacks sufficient limitations on the sharing of personally identifiable information between private entities and does not contain adequate oversight or accountability measures necessary to ensure that the data is used only for appropriate purposes."

One controversial aspect of the bill is that it would grant corporations who share personally identifiable information wtih the government immunity from lawsuits.

But where Rep. Paul and the POTUS may diverge in their criticisms is in their opinion of what to do. Rep. Paul would like to see the measure scrapped entirely. By contrast President Obama is lobbying for the removal of the corporate immunity provision. But he's also pushing for the U.S. Department of Homeland Security to oversee the program, potentially handing it a host of private personal information on U.S. citizens -- a idea which would surely make Rep. Paul cringe.

Quote Originally Posted by Kluge View Post
    Bingo!

It'll pass after his re-election.
    Of course under a different name. I think GOTCHYA would be a fitting acronym for the third iterations of SOPA.

I don't believe anything Obama says. He is just a liar. He can't help himself.

what's his angle?
    Internet kiddies that he would otherwise lose to Ron Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Here I'll write the press release....
    No, allow me to write the press release...

President Obama has signed the controversial Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act (CISPA) into law. Addressing concerns that the act allows wholesale spying and data warehousing of data on Americans, President Obama has attached a signing statement promising that his administration will not use the new cyberspying powers to spy on American citizens.
    I think I've figured out Obama's re-election angle: he's given the Executive Branch such obscene, tyrannical power and promised not to use ALL of it (NDAA signing statement), that he's basically gonna say "if you don't re-elect me, all these tyrannical government powers I signed into law, will be under the control of those crazy Republicans."
    Last edited by economics102; 04-26-2012 at 03:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by economics102 View Post
    No, allow me to write the press release...

I think I've figured out Obama's re-election angle: he's given the Executive Branch such obscene, tyrannical power and promised not to use ALL of it (NDAA signing statement), that he's basically gonna say "if you don't re-elect me, all these tyrannical government powers I signed into law, will be under the control of those crazy Republicans."
    How do we get a job writing these for the WH. It's kinda like comedy writing.

Whoop! But there's nothing wrong with this picture whatsoever! ~MAGIC WAND!!!!

(Alex Jones reference for anyone who gets it...)

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I just registered so I can't post these articles. The House passed CISPA today in a hurried vote.

I can't post links either, so go to RT dot com slash news slash house-cispa-vote-thrusday-083 slash

also dyn dot politico dot com slash printstorydot cfm?uuid=0E061429-02A5-44FB-8985-C99EB72FFD43

what's his angle?
    Hey TM, long time no see. His angle? Posturing. I doubt that he'll veto the bill. The Senate will give him political cover.

Oh, puhleese, he's not going to veto it. If he is against it in any way, it would only be because he doesn't think it goes far enough.
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEagle View Post
    Oh, puhleese, he's not going to veto it. If he is against it in any way, it would only be because he doesn't think it goes far enough.
    I'm no AJ fan, but I believe that's what they speculated over there. And given his vote on NDAA--I guess you guys have convinced me that he probably won't veto it.

He knows he's going up against Romney and can get away with all sorts of things.
    Well, I got Rand started on his campaign (just search around here to see). I advised Thomas Massie before he ran for Congress. I am currently advising 2 liberty campaigns for the state legislature. I ran the war-room and won Minnesota for Ron Paul a few weeks back. There are other things I'm probably forgetting.
    Yet I can't afford $200 to go to a seminar--Matt Collins

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEagle View Post
    Wins Thread! ^^^
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

i'm beginning to lose my sense of humor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast