Thread: How would a Gold Standard help?

How would a Gold Standard help?

Gold, like anything else in the world only has its value because of some arbitrary value we place on it. Why should it be different to anything else?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Gold provides a real-world, physical limit to the mischief of politicians and banks alike. You can steal the value of my FRN by printing up new FRNs. You got to make it through my shotgun to do the same with gold.

Quote Originally Posted by alongee View Post
    Gold, like anything else in the world only has its value because of some arbitrary value we place on it. Why should it be different to anything else?
    First of all, Ron Paul does not advocate a government-imposed gold standard. He advocates allowing people to be free to choose what they want to use as money. Of course, through all of human history in virtually every civilization, people have chosen gold, silver, and other valuable metals. They did so for very good reasons.

But the most important reason for you to understand is that when the money is a commodity like gold, the size of the supply is restrained by immutable laws of nature rather than the will power of politicians. Politicians today, as they always have, use their power over the fiat money supply to benefit their supporters at the expense of everyone else. This is one of the ways in which the rich get richer and everyone else gets screwed.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

Quote Originally Posted by thoughtomator View Post
    Gold provides a real-world, physical limit to the mischief of politicians and banks alike. You can steal the value of my FRN by printing up new FRNs. You got to make it through my shotgun to do the same with gold.
    Are you saying that You'd shoot anyone who managed to actually do alchemy?
    If you wanted some sort of Ideological purity, you'll get none of that from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Acala View Post
    when the money is a commodity like gold, the size of the supply is restrained by immutable laws of nature rather than the will power of politicians.
    Beautifully put! + rep.

A nice succinct statement that will go in the "files".
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Real simple.

People get to decide what they want to use for money.

Governments just make sure there is no fraud or coercion and provide a judicial system to mediate disputes so citizens don't resort to violence to resolve commercial disputes.

Just because most people throughout recorded human history have used gold as money doesn't mean gold has to be money.

People should be free to choose whatever they want to use for money, but they shouldn't be free to lie and cheat and such.
    Last edited by WilliamC; 05-01-2012 at 09:49 AM.
    Ron Paul: He irritates more idiots in fewer words than any American politician ever.

NO MORE LIARS! Ron Paul 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Sam I am View Post
    Are you saying that You'd shoot anyone who managed to actually do alchemy?
    I would give them a choice. Convert my lead to gold - or eat it. jk
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.