Thread: Massie and Sanctions

Massie and Sanctions

Mmmkay, question:

Is there anything on Thomas Massie and sanctions?

I would really like to hear that he is against them. I gave to Rand in 2010 and was not pleased with his first vote in favor of sanctions on Iran. YES, I know he more recently blocked a different sanctions bill from being passed quickly in the Senate, and I'm glad he did that.

I read that Massie is closer to Rand than to Ron on foreign policy.

Let me know, Massie fans...

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

I don't think he has articulated his position on this yet (and I don't think he needs to in the primary at this point....my opinion).

But, will he be a reliably anti-war vote in congress? Yes.

Would Ron Paul so strongly support someone who disagreed with him on foreign policy? No way.

Here is something to chew on from Thomas' issue page:

I am opposed to bailouts, corporate subsidies, undeclared wars, and so called stimulus spending — on economic, moral, and constitutional grounds.
    Thomas understands the war issue from moral grounds like Ron does. Its not just a "fiscal issue" for him. Whatever political posturing he must do in this campaign notwithstanding, I do think Thomas is one of us and understands liberty from the moral standpoint. My 2 cents...

You can't be for or against sanctions without knowing the circumstances.
    Hear Congressman Paul's weekly legislative update toll free 888-322-1414

Quote Originally Posted by TruthisTreason View Post
    Interesting. Please explain. Don't sanctions hurt the people of the target country much more than its government?

In any case, I threw $15 in the hat for Thomas Massie just now. I know he probably won't be giving a bunch of speeches on non-interventionism during the race; it's hard to do that in Kentucky and win. But I expect y'all to raise Cain with me if there's a sanctions vote and he goes the wrong way on it. Ron Paul set the bar high. We can't give anybody a free pass.

Good luck, Mr. Massie. I'm expecting great things.

Thank you!

Thank you for your generous donation!

Amount: $15.00 Transaction ID: ESHP8EF5574C Transaction date/time: 2012-04-27 09:48:41
    Last edited by oldsmobile98; 04-27-2012 at 09:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by oldsmobile98 View Post
    the

Interesting. Please explain. Don't sanctions hurt the people of the target country much more than its government?

In any case, I threw $15 in the hat for Thomas Massie just now. I know he probably won't be giving a bunch of speeches on non-interventionism during the race; it's hard to do that in Kentucky and win. But I expect y'all to raise Cain with me if there's a sanctions vote and he goes the wrong way on it. Ron Paul set the bar high. We can't give anybody a free pass.

Good luck, Mr. Massie. I'm expecting great things.

+rep

Quote Originally Posted by Sola_Fide View Post
    +rep
    Thanks! And sorry about the extra "the" at the beginning. ; ) I'm typing on my phone. It's edited now.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by oldsmobile98 View Post
    I'll go out on a limb, but I assume Thomas supports just war. So assuming a country is doing certain things that would lead to a "just war" one would think a liberty candidate would support sanctions in an attempt to stop a war. However, history does show that most sanctions only punished the people (non-military) and usually helped provoke the war. Anyway, there could be a case where sanctions could stop a war, and if we have a chance to stop a war, we should attempt to stop it, imo.

I'll go out on a limb, but I assume Thomas supports just war. So assuming a country is doing certain things that would lead to a "just war" one would think a liberty candidate would support sanctions in an attempt to stop a war. However, history does show that most sanctions only punished the people (non-military) and usually helped provoke the war. Anyway, there could be a case where sanctions could stop a war, and if we have a chance to stop a war, we should attempt to stop it, imo.
    Let me see if I've got this right... history shows that sanctions harm civilians and provoke war. So in an attempt to prevent war, we should enact sanctions.

That is literally the definition of insanity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul
    Perhaps the most important lesson from Obamacare is that while liberty is lost incrementally, it cannot be regained incrementally. The federal leviathan continues its steady growth; sometimes boldly and sometimes quietly. Obamacare is just the latest example, but make no mistake: the statists are winning. So advocates of liberty must reject incremental approaches and fight boldly for bedrock principles.
    The epitome of libertarian populism

Quote Originally Posted by Feeding the Abscess View Post
    Let me see if I've got this right... history shows that sanctions harm civilians and provoke war. So in an attempt to prevent war, we should enact sanctions.

Right, strawman. OK if Mexico is going to invade America, I and most sane people would have no problems putting sanctions on Mexico, especially arms sanctions.

Quote Originally Posted by Feeding the Abscess View Post

Or it's literally not using reading comprehension. "there could be a case where sanctions could stop a war"

Sanctions NEVER prevent war. They hasten it. If Mexico wants to invade the US, sanctions are not going to change their mind. If anything it would be one more thing to stoke the flames.

Quote Originally Posted by BamaFanNKy View Post
    Or it's literally not using reading comprehension. "there could be a case where sanctions could stop a war"
    And aliens might have really visited the planet 10,000 years ago and taught humans the basis of what we know today.

Right, strawman. OK if Mexico is going to invade America, I and most sane people would have no problems putting sanctions on Mexico, especially arms sanctions.
    Yeah, so we're somehow going to stop the entire world from dealing with Mexico. Right. Oh, and double bonus for doing so without violating anyone's rights.
    Last edited by Feeding the Abscess; 04-27-2012 at 11:35 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul
    Perhaps the most important lesson from Obamacare is that while liberty is lost incrementally, it cannot be regained incrementally. The federal leviathan continues its steady growth; sometimes boldly and sometimes quietly. Obamacare is just the latest example, but make no mistake: the statists are winning. So advocates of liberty must reject incremental approaches and fight boldly for bedrock principles.
    The epitome of libertarian populism

Quote Originally Posted by BamaFanNKy View Post
    Actually there isn't. Hell, we embargo'd and sanctioned Japan which far from preventing war, exacerbated it. Sanctions are a pre-text to a 'hot'-war. They are not meant contra politician spew to prevent, but to hasten war's arrival. Shot across the bow as you will. They provoke the sanctioned country into action against you, giving you the pre-text to make the war 'justified' and sell it to the mass of idiots.

Surprising the number of folks on this board who are completely clueless on this issue. Well, then again, there are quite a few protectionists, so maybe not.
    School of Salamanca - School of Austrian Economics - Liberty, Private Property, Free-Markets, Voluntaryist, Agorist. le monde va de lui même

"No man hath power over my rights and liberties, and I over no mans [sic]."

What, sir, is the use of a militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty.

www.mises.org
    www.antiwar.com
    An Arrow Against all Tyrants - Richard Overton vis. 1646 (Required reading!)

If they're going to invade sanctions don't do anything. How about putting troops and material where you think they're going to attack. Besides, I'd be more worried about them drug cartels who we fund, supply, and cheer on as a pre-text to destroy the second amendment here at home than whatever pitiful $#@! Mexico has. Besides, the last time we were attacked was in 1776 (well I suppose the Barbary pirates, but that's at sea far from home). Worrying about this type of stuff is pretty silly. I'd be more worried about the Police who have a far greater chance of killing you, your family, your pets, and destroying your home and liberty. They're the threats to be worried about.
    School of Salamanca - School of Austrian Economics - Liberty, Private Property, Free-Markets, Voluntaryist, Agorist. le monde va de lui même

"No man hath power over my rights and liberties, and I over no mans [sic]."

What, sir, is the use of a militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty.

www.mises.org
    www.antiwar.com
    An Arrow Against all Tyrants - Richard Overton vis. 1646 (Required reading!)

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Sanctions are never really reasonable under any circumstance. I have never seen them work.

That isn't to say preemptive war is never appropriate. I lean non-interventionist, but not absolutely as all circumstances are different. I did go from pro-war to anti-war until finally I reached a cost-benefit foreign policy view. Just about the only time a preemptive war makes sense for a nation would probably only be in the case of a nuclear threat. Of course when conducting war it should be declared and swiftly accomplished. That's just my IMO.

You guys are right. I've lost many family members in our war with Cuba. I can't believe our sanctions there for over 50 years are still going. Haven't we lost enough men in this war with Cuba?