Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Obama Administration Seeks National Ban on Cell Phone Use While Driving

Obama Administration Seeks National Ban on Cell Phone Use While Driving

Obama Administration Seeks National Ban on Cell Phone Use While Driving

http://bit.ly/IllUqN

direct link:
    http://www.newsmax.com/US/lahood-ban...4/26/id/437254
    Last edited by jct74; 04-30-2012 at 03:26 AM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I will gladly hold out my cellphone when I see a cop if this passes
    NEBRASKA FOR RON PAUL

Truckers have been using CB's for decades and I haven't heard about them talking while driving causing more accidents. People who are distracted while driving are a problem on the roads for sure, but there are many ways to be distracted while driving and talking on a cell phone is probably one of the least distracting things while driving. Now texting while driving is very dangerous and should not be done, but even that should not be banned.
    Last edited by RickyJ; 04-26-2012 at 09:13 PM.

What's if it's on speaker phone?

Talk on this and get pulled over
    NEBRASKA FOR RON PAUL

You know who communicates using electronic devices the most in stressful driving situations?

The police.

We have that in New Zealand. Everybody got a hands free kit. No big deal.
    In New Zealand:
    The Coastguard is a Charity
    Air Traffic Control is a private company run on user fees
    The DMV is a private non-profit
    Rescue helicopters and ambulances are operated by charities and are plastered with corporate logos
    The agriculture industry has zero subsidies
    5% of the national vote, gets you 5 seats in Parliament
    A tax return has 4 fields
    Business licenses aren't a thing
    Prostitution is legal
    We have a constitutional right to refuse any type of medical care

Just so everybody is aware of where this is heading:

"It used to be that if an officer pulled you over for drunk driving, he would pat you on the back, maybe call you a cab or take you home, but he wouldn't arrest you," LaHood said. "Now that has changed, and the same enforcement can work for people who talk on cell phones while driving."
    So, MADD, ya proud of yourself?

Us "nuts" were right, thirty years ago, when we told you where all this would end, with roadblocks, prison, checkpoints and heavy handed enforcement of many other things besides just "drunk driving".

We were called "paranoid" and "conspiracy theorists" and "fear mongers".

I know, I was there.

I normally don't wish harm on people, but you would not find me feeling remorseful if they were some of the first people thrown in prison for this.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by idiom View Post
    No big deal!

It is a BIG DEAL here buddy!

Freedoms that everybody takes for granted will all be gone if we let them dictate every little thing we can and can't do.
    Last edited by RickyJ; 04-27-2012 at 01:10 AM.

I think the States can handle this issue. Why do we need a national law on it? Sounds like the Fed may ban hands free too. Some states are all ready banning the handsfree but not many. Most are banning using phone or texting if it is not hands free.
    Last edited by rockerrockstar; 04-26-2012 at 10:39 PM.

That isnt the point. The point is everyone had to BUY something. Hmmm, I wonder if those that were selling the Hands Free Kits had something to do with that bill going thru? Oh yeah, and hands free doesnt help much for replying to TEXT MESSAGES.

Funny story. I have a Remote Control for my Car Stereo. Old Kenwood. They came with remotes as a way to allow passengers in the back seat to adjust the volume. Anywho, I usually use the Remote for skipping songs or changing the volume. I got pulled over about a month ago for "answering my Remote Control" and nearly got a ticket, except for the fact I didnt have a cell phone on me. Officer wasnt sure what to say and let me off with a "warning" that he didnt want to see me "answering my remote again".

Shift of Focus.

New Zealand passing a National Law is one thing, but each State of the United States is supposed to be treated, from within the States, as its own country. We are not supposed to have "National Laws". We have Federal Laws, which are supposed to only apply when crossing State Lines. For example, what is Legal in one State may be Illegal in another State. Think Pot Laws. The Federal Govt is well within its limitations when it expresses that what happens inside a State's Border is up to the State, but when going between States, it falls into Federal Jurisdiction. So when the Federal Govt comes along and tells California, inside the State of California, that their legalization of Marijuana, for whatever purpose, can go right out the window, they are exceeding the powers granted to them by the US Constitution.

The same thing applies to a Nationwide Cell Phone ban. It is Unconstitutional because it exceeds the powers granted to the Federal Govt (again, between States) in the Constitution. Each State would need to pass its own Law prohibiting talking on a Cell Phone while Driving. It wouldnt be a big deal if each State said we are gonna ban Cell Driving, but for the President to flat out come out and say "Im gonna pass a National Law" is a problem. #1, it exceeds the Presidents Role as the Executive Branch. His job is to Execute Laws, not Legislate them into existence. #2, I already talked about it, the difference between the States and the Federal Govt. Now if that isnt Statist, Authoritarian, and a Usurptation of Power, I dont know what is.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    New Zealand passing a National Law is one thing, but each State of the United States is supposed to be treated, from within the States, as its own country. We are not supposed to have "National Laws". We have Federal Laws, which are supposed to only apply when crossing State Lines.
    Well-there are some laws that are meat to be national in scope:

Section 8.

The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes, duties, imposts and excises, to pay the debts and provide for the common defense and general welfare of the United States; but all duties, imposts and excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;

To establish a uniform rule of naturalization, and uniform laws on the subject of bankruptcies throughout the United States;

http://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/articlei

Quote Originally Posted by sevin View Post
    What's if it's on speaker phone?
    The ban includes hands-free devices.

As part of its recommendation, the National Transportation Safety Board is urging states to ban drivers from using hands-free devices, including wireless headsets.
    [...]
    The ban is also noteworthy because it is the first call by a federal agency to end the practice completely, rather than the partial ban that some legislators have put in place by allowing hands-free talking.
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

I have nothing to hide talk about.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

They should just ban talking in cars.

BAN PHONES

BAN CARS

BAN FUN

BAN EVERYTHING

-The gov't
    I want more freedom and I cannot lie. No other brothers can deny. When the Fed marches in with a itty-bitty rate and the IRS takes your cake, it's no FUN!

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Short Income Tax Video

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

I can see it now. Cops setting up d.u.c.p checkpoints where they connect a scanner to your phone to see if you've used it in the past XX number of minutes. Of course, they also download all your emails, pics, and contacts. Feds use cispa to 'share' that data...

They have been doing enforcement of this in California for years. One of the methods they use is riding motorcycles down the center line in heavy traffic and looking into every vehicle they pass.

Edit: They are also checking seat-belts or any other violations they can see.
    Last edited by Brian4Liberty; 04-28-2012 at 11:29 AM.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

There is already a law that covers texting, it's called Inattentive Driving.

You don't understand, that's not the point. The federal government does not have the authority to do this. The people of the states never gave them this power.

I'm curious, is receiving oral sex while driving illegal? That seems to me to be quite a bit more dangerous than having a conversation on a cell phone, especially when a steering wheel only takes one hand to operate and most cars are automatic...

Quote Originally Posted by Root View Post
    I can see it now. Cops setting up d.u.c.p checkpoints where they connect a scanner to your phone to see if you've used it in the past XX number of minutes. Of course, they also download all your emails, pics, and contacts. Feds use cispa to 'share' that data...
    Most "smart phones" have motion sensors installed already, for proper screen orientation as you rotate the phone.

I can see them using that, or the internal GPS tracking, to shut a phone off while in motion.

Quote Originally Posted by JebSanderson View Post
    I'm curious, is receiving oral sex while driving illegal? That seems to me to be quite a bit more dangerous than having a conversation on a cell phone, especially when a steering wheel only takes one hand to operate and most cars are automatic...
    This is why blondes prefer Tilt Wheel Steering.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Sure, but check-points let them spend more money we don't have.

If you ever doubted the power of the insurance lobby...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    They have been doing enforcement of this in California for years. One of the methods they use is riding motorcycles down the center line in heavy traffic and looking into every vehicle they pass.

Edit: They are also checking seat-belts or any other violations they can see.
    Yup, "let's add danger to a dangerous situation and give people penalties even if they haven't themselves proved to be dangerous."

But they have a costume and a badge, so I guess its okay that they do it.

(and I doubt they have seatbelts on their motorcycles, right? so why do I need one in the relative safety of the padded cabin of my car?)
    "You cannot solve these problems with war." - Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by mczerone View Post
    Yup, "let's add danger to a dangerous situation and give people penalties even if they haven't themselves proved to be dangerous."

But they have a costume and a badge, so I guess its okay that they do it.

(and I doubt they have seatbelts on their motorcycles, right? so why do I need one in the relative safety of the padded cabin of my car?)
    Just for the record, that was a statement about the facts, not advocacy. I oppose all of these laws and the subsequent enforcement techniques.

As someone else implied, the law should be for demonstrated dangerous driving to be the violation (of course there would be sub-categories there). Exhibiting or engaging in dangerous driving should be the only probable cause for being pulled over. That was pretty much how it worked until the Mommy-Staters got involved, with MADD being the most obvious example.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by matt0611 View Post
    You don't understand, that's not the point. The federal government does not have the authority to do this. The people of the states never gave them this power.
    Exactly, it's not even legal for the Federal Government to impose these laws without following the Constitution and Constitutional processes.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast