Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What happens if Huck wins Iowa and Ron Paul wins New Hampshire?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    If this happens, I don't think things will be settled until the national convention in St. Paul. We'll run out of gas before the finish line if we don't have delegates!

Some states are not filled yet?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    If Iowa goes Huckabee, Romney, Thompson, Paul and NH goes Paul, Romney, McCain.. then that makes NV, MI, and SC really, really important.

If Paul can win 1 of those 3, he will have 2 of the first 6 and a lot of momentum going into super tuesday. Huckabee is only a threat in SC, and I don't think any other candidate can get 2 of 6 early states. (Maybe Rudy in FL & NV or MI)

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    There will be a huge chance for a deadlocked national convention where nobody has enough delegates.

Quote Originally Posted by austin356 View Post
    Some states are not filled yet?
    Uhm, yeah. Haven't you been reading these forums? There must have been 30 threads since Monday.

Probably too many people obsessing about Glenn Beck and polls.
    Hi!

You know what makes me ill. Huckabee would be absolutely nowhere if the media hadn't decided to prop him up as a serious candidate. It matters not if Huckabee can't raise $20 as long as the media continues to carry his water. And, of course, they doing it specifically to counter Dr. Paul's surge of genuine support. It make me nauseous.

Quote Originally Posted by jpa View Post
    If Iowa goes Huckabee, Romney, Thompson, Paul and NH goes Paul, Romney, McCain.. then that makes NV, MI, and SC really, really important.

If Paul can win 1 of those 3, he will have 2 of the first 6 and a lot of momentum going into super tuesday. Huckabee is only a threat in SC, and I don't think any other candidate can get 2 of 6 early states. (Maybe Rudy in FL & NV or MI)

IF michigan even has primary. If Michigan does have a primary this is good news for Ron Paul. Michigan has an open primary and the only democrat on the ballot in Michigan is going to be Hillary--I think. This means that all the democrats who would normally vote in the primary who don't support Hillary may very will vote for Ron Paul. I already know a bigtime liberal who is voting for Ron Paul, just because of the reason I cited.
    "There is no such thing as society: there are individual men and women, and there are families." --Margaret Thatcher

"You may have to fight a battle more than once to win it."--Margaret Thatcher

Guys we lose if

we don't win a majority of the delegates going into the election. We can't afford to arrive with only a plurality and leave it up for grabs there. As all the delegates of the other candidates will eventually gang up on us.

I think Huckabee is going to win Iowa; he's the biggest supporter of agricultural subsidies of any of the candidates, going so far as to give it its own issues page on his website.

On the plus side that means that we don't have to worry too much about a Huckabee win in Iowa cascading into a Huckabee win in the other early primary states. I have every confidence in the good doctor to win New Hampshire, and he ought to make a very strong showing in Nevada as well, if the straw polls are any indicator.

The problem is South Carolina. Unless Giuliani starts imploding faster (and you'd think the things with Kerik and/or Robertson would have done it, but I guess not), I think Ron's going to have a pretty poor showing there, even if he does manage better than 4th.

Quote Originally Posted by koob View Post
    IF michigan even has primary. If Michigan does have a primary this is good news for Ron Paul. Michigan has an open primary and the only democrat on the ballot in Michigan is going to be Hillary--I think. This means that all the democrats who would normally vote in the primary who don't support Hillary may very will vote for Ron Paul. I already know a bigtime liberal who is voting for Ron Paul, just because of the reason I cited.
    Agreed. People also need to be thinking of the early Democrat primaries. If Hillary wins half the early states, I'm pretty sure that Dr. Paul will see additional surges in open primaries from Democrats who want someone other than Hillary. Stay in until the end as Ron Paul's chances just get better and better over the long haul, especially after winning states and people start paying attention to what he's going for.

I'm actually hoping the majority of the neocon candidates stay in for the first few states. With the votes spread out among them, Dr. Paul will have a serious advantage running against all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by csen View Post
    The more I think about it the more I think this is a plausible scenario. Huckabee (and Ron Paul, though to a lesser extent) continue to gain in Iowa. Rudy, Thompson, and McCain are fading, while Romney is holding what he has but not really picking up momentum other than through the losses of the old first tier. It seems entirely conceivable that Iowa finishes like this:

1) Huckabee
    2) Romney
    3) Paul

and New Hampshire follows like this:

1) Paul
    2) Romney
    3) Huckabee (?)

Were that to happen, the entire primary becomes a free for all. At that point I could see Romney or Rudy taking votes in some of the big market states (say NY, Florida, California) while Huckabee takes much of the South and Ron Paul wins the West. It would be a classic battle between your prototypical neocon -- pro family, pro war, pro entitlements -- and your prototypical Old Right conservative. It could really come down to who's got the most troops on the ground, fundraising, and delegates. And the battleground states might be ones that straddle the Old Right/neocon line a lot closer than we thought.
    I've been thinking about that scenario too. Romney would be crushed, since he's depending on getting two wins. McCain is gone is he doesn't win NH.

Huck would be a one hit wonder, accomplishing little more than securing his spot as #2 on a Rudy ticket.

The big winner would be Ron Paul, who unlike Huck has a dedicated national following.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    NH is likely to shake down like Ron and Mitt first and second (it's up to us to decide which order), then McCain 3rd. There's still some love left over for McCain here from 2000, but he's being perceived as out of touch due to his support of the war. Romney has the name recognition, Ron is building up name recognition here quickly, though. Even my non-political friends were talking about the money bomb. My ultra-liberal sister sent me a birthday card (my BD is tomorrow ) and she ended her note with: "Could it be Ron Paul?"

JM

I think Paul will be 4th or 5th in Iowa unless the turnout is exceptionally low.

i miss the way things could be hashed out without people getting too rude.
    this thread looked at what different outcomes would have done to things in
    2oo8. if anything, this year is not "politics as usual" in that this is the first
    time a sitting president has been running for office at the same time that the
    same said sitting president has to explain things inside an impeachment trial.
    here we are, more than a decade later. events are on the march. the trial looms.

Quote Originally Posted by Aratus View Post
    i miss the way things could be hashed out without people getting too rude.
    this thread looked at what different outcomes would have done to things in
    2oo8. if anything, this year is not "politics as usual" in that this is the first
    time a sitting president has been running for office at the same time that the
    same said sitting president has to explain things inside an impeachment trial.
    here we are, more than a decade later. events are on the march. the trial looms.
    Back then the one thing we all agreed on was foreign policy. The only hero we worshipped was Ron Paul.

Nothing will happen because the winner of the Iowa caucus doesn't dictate who will eventually become the nominee. Huckabee, Santorum, and Cruz all won Iowa but didn't go on to become the president.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12